Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

• Airborne
  • Object-persistent for 24 hours
  • 14 day incubation period
  • Infectious during incubation
  • Early symptoms are mild and extremely easily mistaken for a weak cold or flu

All this is missing is one single mutation to make it deadly, like encephalitis or something idk lmao

I'm actually sincerely starting to wonder, in a non-joking way unlike last night, whether this is actually an escaped bioweapon. How do you make something more perfect than this? All you'd need to do is just release this and let nature do the rest of the work to mutate it, and, uhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
remember when the avian flu thing happened and people were talking about reeactiving the beltways cold war AA defenses to shoot down birds carrying the flu

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fish wanna gently caress with us? the ocean just got 10 ph more acidic

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm actually sincerely starting to wonder, in a non-joking way unlike last night, whether this is actually an escaped bioweapon. How do you make something more perfect than this? All you'd need to do is just release this and let nature do the rest of the work to mutate it, and, uhh...

life uh, finds a way

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

remember when the avian flu thing happened and people were talking about reeactiving the beltways cold war AA defenses to shoot down birds carrying the flu

If that infectious while incubating thing is legitimate, it's probably too late at this point lmao. 14 day incubation period, and it's infectious during that lmfao

the virus broke out 3 weeks ago!!! right at the beginning of a major travel season!!!

No wonder China is shutting down 1/3 of the country on total lockdown

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
you wouldn't create a bio-weapon without a clear weakness to ensure it couldn't be used against you effectively. nah this is all nature cooking something up in the wild-life markets, glad the CCP has straight up just banned them all lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's in Tokyo!!!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221386801803382785

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

at the current rate of panic give it a couple more days and i'm sure someone will have come up with something even more ridiculous

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

CODChimera posted:

at the current rate of panic give it a couple more days and i'm sure someone will have come up with something even more ridiculous

president pantshitter surely will have a reasoned, measured response

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the dozens of people who took flights back to the US, france, spain, etc, who are all showing symptoms and being put in quarantines right now... if they were actually infectious while incubating, then every person they sat next to on their flights home, every food worker or cashier they touched hands and exchanged money with, every person they bumped into or spoke to, are all going to be getting sick a week from now.

lmao

2020 owns

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

president pantshitter surely will have a reasoned, measured response

I JUST GOT INFECTED FOR MAKING A PERFECT TRIP!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

to add to the travel and density issues, later this week tens of thousands of people will be flying to miami, a major international hub and portal to south america from the us, to go to be crammed together in a 65k seat venue for the super bowl

lmao

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
think im coming down with something

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Lotta bad epic posts itt

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We need to euthanize anyone who has coughed or sneezed the last three weeks, anyone they've been in contact with, and anyone those people have been in contact with. It's time we make the hard choices.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Minrad posted:

the dozens of people who took flights back to the US, france, spain, etc, who are all showing symptoms and being put in quarantines right now... if they were actually infectious while incubating, then every person they sat next to on their flights home, every food worker or cashier they touched hands and exchanged money with, every person they bumped into or spoke to, are all going to be getting sick a week from now.

lmao

2020 owns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We need to euthanize anyone who has coughed or sneezed the last three weeks, anyone they've been in contact with, and anyone those people have been in contact with. It's time we make the hard choices.

everyone in the world just stay home for the next month, it's the only way to be sure

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
im coughing right now, think i might be gettin a fever too.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
absorb my infectious posts through your eyes.

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
seriously though, the fact that 30% of hospitalized patients develop ARDS, which almost invariably requires mechanical ventilation to survive, is pretty alarming just from a logistics standpoint. there aren’t going to be enough ventilators for everyone if this gets rolling.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SKULL.GIF posted:

• Airborne

All this is missing is one single mutation to make it deadly, like encephalitis or something idk lmao

a bioweapon that ends up infecting your own population sounds pretty worthless. if the virus spreads to some country that then announces they have a cure, and stockpiles of it, then maybe

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 26, 2020

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

kopasetic posted:

seriously though, the fact that 30% of hospitalized patients develop ARDS, which almost invariably requires mechanical ventilation to survive, is pretty alarming just from a logistics standpoint. there aren’t going to be enough ventilators for everyone if this gets rolling.

I would consider the fact that general respiratory health is abominable in China so that probably factors into the high %

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

*me extremely seriously* have u considered that :actually: the government of "let's eat anything that moves" land may have let a bioweapon escape???

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

• Airborne

Bioweapons are poo poo like airborne rabies or wheat rust or whatever. If one of those got out we'd see a bunch of really powerful people scrambling to french fry it before it destroyed agriculture/killed every mammal on the planet.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

freckle posted:

im coughing right now, think i might be gettin a fever too.

i didn't want to say anything but i think i actually am getting sick for real

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finicums Wake posted:

a bioweapon that ends up infecting your own population sounds pretty worthless. if the virus spreads to some country that then announces they have a cure, and stockpiles of it, then maybe

like i said, anything intentionally designed is going to have a massive glaring weakness in it known to the government that created it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

like i said, anything intentionally designed is going to have a massive glaring weakness in it known to the government that created it.

Unless it escaped before they were finished designing it :tinfoil:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The lockdown is in full effect. The day after Chinese New Year in Wuhan and there's no one out.

https://twitter.com/wheretogooncein/status/1221129926008377345

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
When there is a flu outbreak, what percentage of people actually end up going to a doctor/hospital versus the number of people who stick it out at home?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Unless it escaped before they were finished designing it :tinfoil:

how would it escape

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

twoday posted:

When there is a flu outbreak, what percentage of people actually end up going to a doctor/hospital versus the number of people who stick it out at home?

stay at home. if you didn't have the virus before the visit then you certainly will afterwards

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1221443927317733376?s=20

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Whenever there is any kind of chaotic/harmful event, a sizable percentage of people will begin to come up with conspiracy theories because it is difficult to comprehend the entropic nature of reality and our brains find it more comforting to imagine a malign order which controls everything around us rather than accept that we live in uncontrolled chaos. In the days of the Black Death of course everyone assumed God was doing it, and now we blame governments, but the principle is the same

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

director of a john hopkins center for health security

https://twitter.com/t_inglesby/status/1221434570714669056

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CODChimera posted:

i didn't want to say anything but i think i actually am getting sick for real

yeah i wasnt lying about that lmao

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

vyelkin posted:

everyone in the world just stay home for the next month, it's the only way to be sure

Iowa caucuses only 8 days away! National news orgs continue crawling the state shaking hands and interviewing drooling toothless undecided voters, culminating in voters packing into to and overcrowding every overheated school gym in the state. Immediately followed by a diaspora of campaign workers, reporters returning to the coasts.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Propitiate Malia. Sacrifice at least two cows and five silver.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

twoday posted:

Whenever there is any kind of chaotic/harmful event, a sizable percentage of people will begin to come up with conspiracy theories because it is difficult to comprehend the entropic nature of reality and our brains find it more comforting to imagine a malign order which controls everything around us rather than accept that we live in uncontrolled chaos. In the days of the Black Death of course everyone assumed God was doing it, and now we blame governments, but the principal is the same

Not everyone! Some assumed Jews were doing it! With predictable results.

Anyway, speaking of religious minorities:

https://twitter.com/aiww/status/1221426049466150913?s=19

Hey, at least they're already in lockdown? I'm sure this'll go great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
lol at my well to do USA suburbia Target and there are like 5 racks empty where the medical masks are supposed to be.