Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No idea on the first. On the second, yes if you want to use the app (or sync), no if you're fine using it via Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004

bolind posted:

Dumb questions:
  1. How stupid would it be to run the plex server on a raspberry pi 4 4GB?
  2. Does it still cost money if I want to play stuff on an iPad?

if there is no transcoding involved it should be fine IMO.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

bolind posted:

Dumb questions:
  1. How stupid would it be to run the plex server on a raspberry pi 4 4GB?
  2. Does it still cost money if I want to play stuff on an iPad?

Ive never tried it, but provided your content is all lowbitrate, it might be ok. Also, transcoding will be horrible/not possible. If your goal is to save money, just seek out a use windows 10 laptop.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 17, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nettle Soup posted:

Weird issue. Running plex in Firefox, if I move whatever I'm watching to my second screen, the colours look fine and correct. If I move it back to the main screen, it makes them washed out. Moving it back to the other screen makes it right again. It's super visible and it's plex or something adjusting the brightness, because it holds the brightness/contrast from the other screen until I unpause.

It doesn't do it in Chrome... Anyone else had this?

This was hardware acceleration in firefox, just for reference. Turned it off, it stopped changing the brightness.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking to create stub entries for my itunes movies. Does anyone have a stub video file I can throw in a folder that just says "watch in itunes"?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

This was hardware acceleration in firefox, just for reference. Turned it off, it stopped changing the brightness.

Are the screens running on different graphics cards?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's pretty bullshit they killed plugins.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We have TIDAL integration now, though!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

It's pretty bullshit they killed plugins.

Did they? I had a trakt one that I really liked :smith:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

Did they? I had a trakt one that I really liked :smith:

The trakt one can still be run, but it's a pain in the butt from what I read. The plugins still exist on a reeeeeeal basic level but you can't interact with them easily, you need a 3rd party client.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
My drat plex stopped picking posters for new movies and picks a random screenshot now. I tried messing with Agent settings to no avail! Whyyyy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Delthalaz posted:

My drat plex stopped picking posters for new movies and picks a random screenshot now. I tried messing with Agent settings to no avail! Whyyyy

Did you update your Plex? I thought they sent an email about this and an old version not being compatible with where they pull art from

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Delthalaz posted:

When you changed the agent settings, did you try swiching between Plex Movies and The Movie DB? Whichever one you've got as the primary might be having API issues or something.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Astro7x posted:

Did you update your Plex? I thought they sent an email about this and an old version not being compatible with where they pull art from

Yeah it’s up to date. It does pull them , I can go in and choose posters from my pc when i connect to the server, it just automatically pics this ugly crap first and I need to change it

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I was trying to direct play a 4k video earlier. Plex kept pausing and told me that my connection wasn't fast enough.

The file had a 70MB/s bitrate, but I was trying to watch over lan, with my client TV connected via ethernet and my server connected via 5ghz AC WiFi, so the bitrate shouldn't have been an issue.

If I transcoded to a lower bitrate everything was fine, so I know it's not a problem with my drive read speed.

Is there a way I can speed test my connection to the server, and my server to the router to try and find where the week link is?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

astral posted:

Are the screens running on different graphics cards?

Nope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tea Bone posted:

The file had a 70MB/s bitrate, but I was trying to watch over lan, with my client TV connected via ethernet and my server connected via 5ghz AC WiFi, so the bitrate shouldn't have been an issue.

Rule out the WiFi entirely (even if its 5GHz AC, the airspace could be congested). Hardwire your server and see if that makes a difference.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

I was trying to direct play a 4k video earlier. Plex kept pausing and told me that my connection wasn't fast enough.

The file had a 70MB/s bitrate, but I was trying to watch over lan, with my client TV connected via ethernet

Besides wifi being terrible, check if your TV is connected at 100mbps or 1000mbps. Your 70MB/s file is running at 560mbps, unless you mean 70mbps. Case sadly matters here. Even then - 70mbps is close to wire speed on a 100mbps TV. The chips and switches in between could be not up to the task of actually going wire speed. Plus if that's average you could have high bitrate scenes going over double that amount.

Try using mkvmerge/edit to cut out everything except the actual language you use in a lower bitrate format and the video + Dolby vision tracks as relevant. Dump the subtitles too. Should wind up with a 2 or 3 track file which doesn't have a dts-hd ma track. If that works directly you're right at the limit of your network.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah it’s up to date. It does pull them , I can go in and choose posters from my pc when i connect to the server, it just automatically pics this ugly crap first and I need to change it

I ran into this last month and it was loving annoying to debug. See this post of mine and follow the directions on the Plex forums. Let me know if that addresses it. I suspect it might be the same thing.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

H110Hawk posted:

Besides wifi being terrible, check if your TV is connected at 100mbps or 1000mbps. Your 70MB/s file is running at 560mbps, unless you mean 70mbps. Case sadly matters here. Even then - 70mbps is close to wire speed on a 100mbps TV. The chips and switches in between could be not up to the task of actually going wire speed. Plus if that's average you could have high bitrate scenes going over double that amount.

Try using mkvmerge/edit to cut out everything except the actual language you use in a lower bitrate format and the video + Dolby vision tracks as relevant. Dump the subtitles too. Should wind up with a 2 or 3 track file which doesn't have a dts-hd ma track. If that works directly you're right at the limit of your network.

Ah thanks. Sorry yeah, I did mean 70mb. It looks like the TV's ethernet port is only 100mbs so I guess my options are either re-encoding as you suggested or getting a shield.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tea Bone posted:

Ah thanks. Sorry yeah, I did mean 70mb. It looks like the TV's ethernet port is only 100mbs so I guess my options are either re-encoding as you suggested or getting a shield.

There are many, many factors you could check in your output chain that might be the problem but I would agree step 1 should be: Stop using the client on your "smart" TV and switch to one of the recommended streaming boxes. I've never seen a built in client do even half as good a job as a standalone streamer, never mind better.

That may well not be where the problem is but there are other benefits so start there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tea Bone posted:

Before buying a new streamer box or queuing up new encodes, I really suggest hardwiring your server to see if that makes a difference. Even if it means having to pick up your server to move it closer to your switch/router, I recommend doing so just for a quick troubleshoot to be absolutely sure it's not your WiFi.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 26, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed. If 100mbps wasn't enough, lots of folks wouldn't be able to stream remotely.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed. If 100mbps wasn't enough, lots of folks wouldn't be able to stream remotely.

He’s talking about 4K files, which if they’re remuxes are definitely not going to work on a 100mbit link. They pretty much all spike above that bitrate throughout. WEB 4K will be fine, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is there an easy way to stream a non-app based website via Plex to a TV? I used to be able to watch KissAnime via a plugin, but with plugins phased out you can't do that anymore.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

The Gunslinger posted:

I ran into this last month and it was loving annoying to debug. See this post of mine and follow the directions on the Plex forums. Let me know if that addresses it. I suspect it might be the same thing.

Ahh thanks! That fixed it. It was a bit of a pain in the rear end since the file is not where they said it would be in the Synology, but I found it and the problem looks solved. Awesome!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to force Plex to stop reverting back to the new experimental player? It's giving me problems.

For one, it routinely has a terrible time resuming where we left off on a movie or TV show. It will just load forever. When this happens, it always turns out that it went back to the experimental player. Turning the experimental player off and resuming the video again always fixes this.

Secondly, I like that pressing left and right will jump left and right in a movie. On the experimental player, pressing left and right just brings up the time scroll bar, then you have to press up, then you can scroll through the time. I know it's first world problem but I like just pressing left and right.

I am using the latest NVidia Shield and my server is a high end Intel i7 with 64 gb of RAM and I am using cat5e cable for everything so it's not like there's some sort of bottleneck in my hardware. The experimental player is just really bad at resuming playback for whatever reason in my home.

Anyway this wouldn't be a problem but it seems like Plex arbitrarily reverts back to the experimental player and it results in me getting a phone call at work once a week from my wife asking me how to fix Plex. Is it possible when Plex auto-updates it just turns it back to the experimental player?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Of course Nvidia would start sales on the new Shield remote in the early morning for it to sell out by the time I wake up. :mad:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just finished getting Plex setup on a little mini Lenovo I bought off ebay and threw an SSD in. This software is fantastic! Its done a great job organizing all of my media and playing everything through my tv.

No gripes or nothing, just seems to work for my simple needs. If anyone was considering it, you dont have to spend a ton to get this all setup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have something cleansing the filenames before you use Plex? If not, consider it because it can be a little picky sometimes and will likely throw you for a loop when it suddenly doesn't do what you expect it to do. If you source stuff from the internet, then a combination of Sonarr (v3 is in beta but works great, for TV) and Radarr (for movies) is a great combo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thinking about getting a new device to run the server because my current one is just my old Core 2 Duo running Ubuntu headless. It's too noisy and power hungry to leave up all the time, so I've just been turning it on when someone in the house needs to watch something.

Unfortunately this means anything else I want to do like maybe a VPN server, some DIY dropbox thing, irssi, pi-hole, etc would have to be on a separate device so it can be up 24/7 or I'll have to replace the server.

Is there something I can get that has low power consumption, but can ramp it up when it needs to transcode? Is the answer just the Shield like everyone recommends?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, even a C2D isn't going to consume as much power while sitting idle as it does when transcoding - but the newer the processor, the lower that idle draw gets.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I could just get a quieter cooling set up for it and it wouldn't bother me near as much. Still, I can't help worry about power usage since we pay more than 0.25 CAD per kWh.

I suppose actually doing the math might help me make a decision.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 29, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yikes. Yeah it would be worth it to measure the actual power draw on that, both idle and loaded.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Is there an external hard drive that can act as a Plex server without getting into NAS territory? I have a Synology but don't want to use it for this if I can avoid it. It looks like WD Passport can do this, but with some compatibility issues (solvable). Is there something better? I'm looking for around 5 to 10TB capacity if that helps any.

brains
May 12, 2004

if you’re definitely not going to need transcoding at all (sanitized media), the cheapest, fastest option is probably a raspberry pi with usb 3 externals (via a powered usb hub because the pi can’t push the voltage for them by itself). that’ll get you 16-24tb of storage with a server to run plex.

really though, your synology with run it fine. if you don’t want to draw from your storage pools, just plug an external into it and keep it separate.

edit: it goes without saying that you need hardware to run the actual plex server package; a hard drive will only store media.

brains fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 29, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Is there an external hard drive that can act as a Plex server without getting into NAS territory? I have a Synology but don't want to use it for this if I can avoid it. It looks like WD Passport can do this, but with some compatibility issues (solvable). Is there something better? I'm looking for around 5 to 10TB capacity if that helps any.

A Plex server needs a network to operate, and a NAS is a network attached storage. You're gonna need something with an Ethernet/WiFi connection of some type regardless.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
what a weird question

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Nvidia shield is probably what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im glad to have found this community. i've had my plex up and running for a few years now. great service, shame about the plug-ins.