Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

esperterra posted:

What's this thread's policy on spoilers? Y'all good to let people discuss poo poo after it airs, or are you tagging stuff 'cause it's a megathread? Had a report about spoilers and just want to check in with y'all so I know how you want those handled in the future :discourse:

I was under the impression that in the TVIV once something with a normal weekly release schg dropped on the east coast it was fair game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

8one6 posted:

I was under the impression that in the TVIV once something with a normal weekly release schg dropped on the east coast it was fair game.

Yeah, that's the general subforum rule but we usually let threads set their own policies. Since this is a megathread I figured I'd double check to see if you guys are doing it differently.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Picard's got an unusually staggered international release schedule and this isn't just the Picard thread, it's also ostensibly the Disco and Short Trek thread, so something like 48 hours seems fair. Don't want to keep people from posting about spore drives just because they haven't gotten to their CBS All Access account by seven am on Thursday morning!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Picard's got an unusually staggered international release schedule and this isn't just the Picard thread, it's also ostensibly the Disco and Short Trek thread, so something like 48 hours seems fair. Don't want to keep people from posting about spore drives just because they haven't gotten to their CBS All Access account by seven am on Thursday morning!

Yeah, it releases on CBS All Access/Amazon Prime midnight Thursdays Pacific time, airs live on television in Canada at 9PM Eastern time, and then airs in the UK on Fridays I believe. So yeah, probably best to at least keep spoiler tags on until about the Saturday following the episode.

Also Disco and Picard won't be airing at the same time so that should hopefully keep the cross-pollination of discussion content down for now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

quote:

Second, if the producers had supplied a first episode that was nothing but action
Who the gently caress wanted nothing but action?!
(A bad reviewer, that's who.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 26, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it releases on CBS All Access/Amazon Prime midnight Thursdays Pacific time, airs live on television in Canada at 9PM Eastern time, and then airs in the UK on Fridays I believe. So yeah, probably best to at least keep spoiler tags on until about the Saturday following the episode.

Also Disco and Picard won't be airing at the same time so that should hopefully keep the cross-pollination of discussion content down for now.

Saturday sounds good to me. Streaming shows don't exactly match the old broadcast rules.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

Saturday sounds fair.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Saturday sounds fair.

Agree

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

If we happen to come across future episode spoilers, how do we differentiate from current episode spoilers? Say something before the tag?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pyrotek posted:

If we happen to come across future episode spoilers, how do we differentiate from current episode spoilers? Say something before the tag?

That seems like a good idea.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When we say before, are we assuming time is a flat circle or..?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pyrotek posted:

Just tag it with the episode number or smth like we do in Netflix/etc threads.

Thanks guys!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

NowonSA posted:

I think we must be operating in the "Janeway time travels, Voyager comes back early" timeline, otherwise you have a whole show that doesn't really make sense, and the Voyager character appearance we know about from the preview would make no sense as well.

Noble future admiral Janeway time traveled and deleted a whole reality for her crew.

That actually depends on how they will deal with time travel now, after marvel changed the paradigm on how time travel 'should' look. If they even will decide to mention time travel at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I suggested the 48 hour spoiler policy earlier, even if it isn’t regular TV/IV routine. But yeah, Saturday sounds good.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It's like an "Irish Pub" in the middle of Iowa - sure there's no Irish people there and no one Irish has ever been involved with it, but there's Irish flags inside and fat humans love it.

It's Always Ferengi in Boston

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

after marvel changed the paradigm on how time travel 'should' look.

Say what now?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I don’t get that either. There’s only been time travel in one of those movies, and Star Trek has had time travel work by multiple sets of rules since the beginning.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is there some secret way to reveal all spoilers on a page? Because I absolutely hate having to click open 300 million spoilers when I just want to read a thread.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is there some secret way to reveal all spoilers on a page? Because I absolutely hate having to click open 300 million spoilers when I just want to read a thread.

I know in the awful app you can set it to show all spoilers in the settings.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yeah, I don’t get that either. There’s only been time travel in one of those movies, and Star Trek has had time travel work by multiple sets of rules since the beginning.

Yeah and sadly all these sets of rules are slightly different and inconsistent, most of all thanks to VOY. As endgame dropped and generally people went like 'Whoa BTTF films were wrong!' so they might add a new rule to already rich time travel ecosystem if they will even use time travel in Picard.
I wish they would not and would center on current flow of events and progressing the story but...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

e: double post. heckin awful app

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I kinda hope that the (Picard) theory that his Romulan carers are in on the whole thing and that's why he just wakes up on his own sofa instead of a hospital in San Fran, doesn't pan out. I don't like the idea that the few friendly Romulans we see still turn out to be sneakdicks.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I hope this is all a lead up to that alien kid abducts Riker and puts him in a holodeck and pretends it was the romulans episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah and sadly all these sets of rules are slightly different and inconsistent, most of all thanks to VOY. As endgame dropped and generally people went like 'Whoa BTTF films were wrong!' so they might add a new rule to already rich time travel ecosystem if they will even use time travel in Picard.
I wish they would not and would center on current flow of events and progressing the story but...

Nobody cares how one movie did time travel. Most people have already forgotten almost all of Endgame.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

davidspackage posted:

I kinda hope that the (Picard) theory that his Romulan carers are in on the whole thing and that's why he just wakes up on his own sofa instead of a hospital in San Fran, doesn't pan out. I don't like the idea that the few friendly Romulans we see still turn out to be sneakdicks.

I don't think the plot that 'Tal'Shiar is behind it all and they needed the attack on Mars to demonize the Federation and stop their political activity so they can rebuild meanwhile and then dominate both quadrants and Sela is behind all that and Unification that Spock tried to do didn't have any impact on romulan society and all that turns romulans to the usual bad guys' is real. It has sense and logic only if the intent is to make 'Romulans Bad' but this sounds half-assed IMO. I just think that his romulan carers are a sign of how important saving Romulans was to him personally.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nobody cares how one movie did time travel. Most people have already forgotten almost all of Endgame.

I hope you are right.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 26, 2020

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Arglebargle III posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say to me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Red Squad, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Tal Shiair, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire Starfleet. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this Galaxy, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Commnet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Alpha Quadrant and your subspace relay is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Section 31 and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Please write children's stories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Only thing it's missing is the obligatory setting-appropriate substitution for 'gorilla'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Only thing it's missing is the obligatory setting-appropriate substitution for 'gorilla'.
Bajoran gorilla.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tribble.

Tribble warfare.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now the tribbles will have troubles with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tribble.

Tribble warfare.

They got a lotta meat on them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mugato

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

What did Endgame do, for those of us who don't watch Marvel movies, but like hearing about time travel mechanics in various works of fiction?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Inferior Third Season posted:

What did Endgame do, for those of us who don't watch Marvel movies, but like hearing about time travel mechanics in various works of fiction?

Every time travel creates a multiverse 'branch' and a new timeline that is affected by your actions in this moment.
But is somehow fixed when you undo your actions, which creates yet another timeline that should in theory be the same as yours when you fixed it but in fact not.

A total brain gently caress up. Contains marvel universe spoilers. Also a bit incorrect (or correct - it is undecided yet (and will never be)) because they 'fixed it' but in fact by their own rules they did not fix it because it should have created yet another new timeline by 'fixing it'. A facepalmingly accurate pubbie description of quantum state of any timeline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every time travel creates a multiverse 'branch' and a new timeline that is affected by your actions in this moment.
But is somehow fixed when you undo your actions, which creates yet another timeline that should in theory be the same as yours when you fixed it but in fact not.

A total brain gently caress up. Contains marvel universe spoilers. Also a bit incorrect (or correct - it is undecided yet (and will never be)) because they 'fixed it' but in fact by their own rules they did not fix it because it should have created yet another new timeline by 'fixing it'. A facepalmingly accurate pubbie description of quantum state of any timeline.

When even the movie itself can't keep it consistent I think we're safe in saying it's not going to have any influence on audience expectations.

Like there's a whole thing in Looper telling the audience 'don't think too hard about it otherwise there wouldn't be a story that anyone's interested in', and Austin Powers made it as a joke years back that no one cares about the rules of time travel so long as they facilitate fun scenes

Funny thing it's a plot point in Dragon Ball Super that two different methods of time travel operate by completely different sets of rules, and a villain takes advantage of this

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I thought Endgame was fine and obviously thinking about the logic of their time travel is a fool's game but it bugged the poo poo out of me that they spent the whole move dealing with the consequences of their time travel in a particular way and then the big Steve Rogers reveal at the end made no loving sense in the context of the rules they set up.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

If the chart doesn't quite explain it the simplest way to think of it is that correcting X event in the past to prevent Y thing from happening because it already happened in your timeline. So you couldn't just go in the past and kill baby Thanos. You need to grab the gems from the past, bring them forward and restore the lives lost in Infinity War in the immediate present otherwise you just create a splinter timeline.

I don't think its half as confusing as people made it out to be.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah in MCU there is time travel and there is Infinity Stone time travel and they do different things and that is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Endgame makes as much sense as any other story involving time travel into the past, ie not much but who cares, time travel is cool.