Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CloFan posted:

How many of you fuckers are still rinsing after brushing?

Say what you will about this website, it has legitimately changed my life in at least one way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

Say what you will about this website, it has legitimately changed my life in at least one way.

Aw, you're finally starting to live up to your username :unsmith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Aw, you're finally starting to live up to your username :unsmith:

So many years wasted shouting at people to floss and brush regularly, but also to rinse immediately afterwards :negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's some super high flouride toothpaste you can get that they make incredibly explicit to use before bed and don't even dare think about drinking or rinsing anything. I had tried every sensitive teeth toothpaste out there and thought I had a cavity due to how bad a specific area felt. A week of this special toothpaste actually fixed me right up and now I use it for a week every month and my teeth have been super powered. Specially if you live somewhere where insane people have banned flouride from the water, give your self a treatment of this poo poo once a month and your tooth health will noticeably improve.

My wife's always been nuts about dental health, brushes and flosses way more and me and since childhood had a very strict tooth care regimen but has always had horrible dental issues, so many fillings. I'm way more lazy but have only had a few fillings my whole life and she couldn't understand it. I think the big difference was that her parents always taught her to rinse after brushing. Toothpaste is a chemical and bad for you so you want to really rinse every trace of it off you, specially before bed. I finally convinced her last year to not have any water or rinse after brushing before bed and guess who hasn't had a single cavity this year for like the first time in her life...

Don't rinse!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
...i have never heard anybody say not to rinse in my life. I do it every time because I don't like having a mouth full of toothpaste. I see the dentist twice a year and don't have any particular issues.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've been kinda lazy about dental health my whole life (brush once in the morning, then before bed if I remember to, floss if I notice I have something stuck in my teeth), and have never had a cavity. I've also never been in the habit of rinsing thoroughly after brushing because I liked having the minty fresh taste linger a while. I seriously wonder if that's the reason.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

CloFan posted:

How many of you fuckers are still rinsing after brushing?

I heard the "don't rinse" tip a long time ago and I asked my dentist about it. She said that you should rinse after brushing, because all the stuff (food particles, bacteria) you just removed from your teeth would otherwise still hang around and undo some of the benefit of brushing. It's like getting your hands wet, applying soap, and then just toweling off.

According to my dentist at least, rinse your mouth after brushing and then use a fluoride mouthwash (and floss, obviously). It seems like the best of both worlds to me.

A Wheezy Steampunk has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Jan 24, 2020

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

I heard the "don't rinse" tip a long time ago and I asked my dentist about it. She said that you should rinse after brushing, because all the stuff (food particles, bacteria) you just removed from your teeth would otherwise still hang around and undo some of the benefit of brushing. It's like getting your hands wet, applying soap, and then just toweling off.

According to my dentist at least, rinse your mouth after brushing and then use a fluoride mouthwash (and floss, obviously). It seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Rinse your mouth out with flouride mouthwash, spit, but don't rinse.

That's what I've been doing for a while now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Baronjutter posted:

There's some super high flouride toothpaste you can get that they make incredibly explicit to use before bed and don't even dare think about drinking or rinsing anything. I had tried every sensitive teeth toothpaste out there and thought I had a cavity due to how bad a specific area felt. A week of this special toothpaste actually fixed me right up and now I use it for a week every month and my teeth have been super powered. Specially if you live somewhere where insane people have banned flouride from the water, give your self a treatment of this poo poo once a month and your tooth health will noticeably improve.

My wife's always been nuts about dental health, brushes and flosses way more and me and since childhood had a very strict tooth care regimen but has always had horrible dental issues, so many fillings. I'm way more lazy but have only had a few fillings my whole life and she couldn't understand it. I think the big difference was that her parents always taught her to rinse after brushing. Toothpaste is a chemical and bad for you so you want to really rinse every trace of it off you, specially before bed. I finally convinced her last year to not have any water or rinse after brushing before bed and guess who hasn't had a single cavity this year for like the first time in her life...

Don't rinse!!

Enamel thickness is to a certain extent genetic, which means brushing regime is probably not the only, or even the most significant factor here. I got my dad's teeth, which were so to robust he had to have his baby teeth pulled when he was 25; my mom had to get dentures when she was 24.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Scaramouche posted:

Enamel thickness is to a certain extent genetic, which means brushing regime is probably not the only, or even the most significant factor here. I got my dad's teeth, which were so to robust he had to have his baby teeth pulled when he was 25; my mom had to get dentures when she was 24.

pro tip: save money by using your dad's baby teeth for your mom's dentures

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My wife gets angry at me, because she takes meticulous care of her teeth and has nothing but issues. She has at least two crowns, and is at the dentist like every other month.
I didn't go to the dentist for 13 years. I don't brush or floss like I should. I've never had a cavity, and the only dental issue I have is worn teeth from grinding.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Diet is a huge factor. I got hosed up enamel and used to have lots of cavities back when I ate sugar. No cavities after I cut sugar out of my diet.

fuckin breeders man
Mar 21, 2007
e: stupid emptyquote button

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

You're neutralizing pH and getting the bits out, not sanitizing your mouth. Everything you stir up is usually allowed to be in your mouth and body, just not left alone alone for long periods of time. Compared to washing hands where it's getting rid of stuff you want nowhere near your body.

If you must rinse to make absolutely sure you aren't going to, I don't know, swallow a crumb? Then sure use flouride mouth wash.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
DENTAL PLAN!

GOONS NEED BRACES!

DENTAL PLAN!

GOONS NEED BRACES!

DENTAL PLAN!

GOONS NEED BRACES!

DENTAL PLAN!

GOONS NEED BRACES!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=somRY_YoWY4

I like that the very next thing I got after the fever dream movie trailer was the whole movie, but subbed in portuguese.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm ace.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's a relief, finding something that fits, yes? :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I cried with relief for like an hour lol

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

anyway thanks for letting me come out to myself and this the Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out thread, have a nice evening, peace be with you

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

pe ace be with you

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:hai:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Good on you!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Well done on figuring things out, self-actualisation is super important.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

That's some good introspection and reflection, LAB. Proud of you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I thought you were a bird? ? ?

congrats on the self realization

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baronjutter posted:

Don't rinse!!

Whats this magical toothpaste called

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
the RX one I have is made by Colgate and its really for people with braces.

I just have some gnarly cavities.

Brush and floss, kids. poo poo sucks having to call your dentist to get special toothpaste and mouthwash every 30 days.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought you were a bird? ? ?

congrats on the self realization

Turkeys are capable of parthenogenesis.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

the RX one I have is made by Colgate and its really for people with braces.

I just have some gnarly cavities.

Brush and floss, kids. poo poo sucks having to call your dentist to get special toothpaste and mouthwash every 30 days.

One thing I figured out recently is that when your dentist asks you if you floss, they mean between all of your teeth, not just the front ones. I asked her "OK, that's fine, I literally can't. My mouth doesn't open that wide and I cannot get to the ones at the back".

She gave me a packet of inter-dental brushes, which are basically little bottle brushes with a stiff center you can bend to 90° and use to get between your molars. Since then I've been hitting them up a couple of times a week and cleaning out some nasty crud from back there, which I guess just stuck around loving my teeth up before now. There are solutions!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah for sure, I'm on track to get my mouth repairs but lol this is America so I got SAVE UP A LITTLE FOR EACH PROCEDURE.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Are those chewable toothpaste tablets any good?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

packetmantis posted:

Tide pods?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memento posted:

One thing I figured out recently is that when your dentist asks you if you floss, they mean between all of your teeth, not just the front ones. I asked her "OK, that's fine, I literally can't. My mouth doesn't open that wide and I cannot get to the ones at the back".

She gave me a packet of inter-dental brushes, which are basically little bottle brushes with a stiff center you can bend to 90° and use to get between your molars. Since then I've been hitting them up a couple of times a week and cleaning out some nasty crud from back there, which I guess just stuck around loving my teeth up before now. There are solutions!

Honestly the main reason I floss is that it's kind of cathartic

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

packetmantis posted:

The ones Lush makes taste like poo poo. I suppose it's no better than brushing your teeth with baking soda, which isn't ideal.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thank you for the supportive posts. Yesterday was an emotional rollercoaster and it means a lot even if we are all internet strangers :unsmith: I always just thought something was really wrong with me.

By the way you can count me in with the mind-blown-by-no-rinsing people

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some toothpastes actually have sugar or sugars in them so rinse after those. Also rinse after flossing to get all the debris you dislodged out of your mout.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Isnt it on like every tube of toothpaste as well as instructions from the ADA not to drink or rinse for at least 2 minutes? What did you people do in the bathroom before smartphones

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Since we're still talking about oral hygiene care for some reason, a few years ago I switched to Sensodyne Repair toothpaste on a goon recommendation.
If you have any enamel problems, this poo poo will fix it right up. Doesn't even have to be that brand, just any toothpaste with calcium sodium phosphosilicate (NOVAMIN) as a listed ingredient.

And don't rinse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Since we're still talking about oral hygiene care for some reason, a few years ago I switched to Sensodyne Repair toothpaste on a goon recommendation.
If you have any enamel problems, this poo poo will fix it right up. Doesn't even have to be that brand, just any toothpaste with calcium sodium phosphosilicate (NOVAMIN) as a listed ingredient.

And don't rinse.

Are you located in the US? Because I've looked at every Sensodyne on the shelf since hearing about Novamin and not one has it