Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Yates posted:

Why are you so sure Wisconsin will be red? Trump barely won against a candidate who didn't even show up in the state and Democrats won every statewide election in 2018. It sure could be red again but it sure doesn't seem like a sure thing.

We have actual results to look at. Democrats carried Pennsylvania convincingly in 2018, but Tony Evers only beat Walker by 1%. Then in 2019, Democrats narrowly lost a Wisconsin Supreme Court race. Democrats generic ballot lead is no better than it was then. Polling also shows Bernie and Biden beating Trump by a larger margin in Pennsylvania than Wisconsin. All the evidence I've seen indicates Wisconsin is the hardest get of 3 closest states Trump flipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

Which state do you think you could flip?

Wisconsin or Arizona

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
In retrospect I think giving up on saturday really just handed the entire weekend narrative and the sunday news cycle completely to schiff. Hell, not even handed, they gift wrapped it with a bow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In retrospect I think giving up on saturday really just handed the entire weekend narrative and the sunday news cycle completely to schiff. Hell, not even handed, they gift wrapped it with a bow.

yeah. like you said. i am surprised the Chuds didnt come out hard. but all i am seeing is loving master shake and cotton.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like you said. i am surprised the Chuds didnt come out hard. but all i am seeing is loving master shake and cotton.

Trump said Saturday was bad ratings, aka, he doesn't want to watch it all day saturday

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oxsnard posted:

yes, but you misread me. The issue was non-compliance with a regulation, not that a regulation had been weakened as was postulated above. BP absolutely didn't follow the regs as written or industrial standards

You are incorrect.

The lack of inspection and enforcement is a weakening of the regulations. There should be many many more inspectors and regulators who are independently verifying compliance. Right now that is razor thin, horrifyingly thin.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm operating under the assumption that Trump will be re-elected and we'll have to deal with at least four more years of this bullshit. If he leaves office then that will be a nice surprise and perhaps a sign that all this damage can be reversed.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You are incorrect.

The lack of inspection and enforcement is a weakening of the regulations. There should be many many more inspectors and regulators who are independently verifying compliance. Right now that is razor thin, horrifyingly thin.

You literally don't know what you're talking about. Funding for the EPA National Enforcement Center increased every year from 1990 to 2016. BP Texas City happened in 2005. EPA has been slamming RMP violations like gangbusters

Changes since 2017 aren't encouraging, but that has nothing to do with what happened in 2005

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Kelly has a solid shot in AZ, and he will probably drag many olds leftwards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm operating under the assumption that Trump will be re-elected and we'll have to deal with at least four more years of this bullshit. If he leaves office then that will be a nice surprise and perhaps a sign that all this damage can be reversed.
Yeah after 2016 I am just operating under the assumption that he is more likely to win than lose, because our system is built that way

We have also not had a 1 term president since Bush Sr

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

eke out posted:

to cross post here, the schedule is basically dependent on whether Trump's attorneys use the entirety of their time, which they're telling people they won't:

Monday: Trial of Hunter Biden
Tuesday/Wednesday: Trump's attorneys technically have this time, but are likely to end early
Tuesday/Wednesday - Thursday/Friday: alternating questions (1 republican, 1 democrat) read by the chief justice, to either side, for two full days (16 hours of senate time)
After questions end Thursday/Friday/Saturday (unlikely, at the outside): 4 hours debate, then vote on witnesses

i have a feeling that the nonsense tomorrow followed by the question period is going to go very poorly for republicans, but we'll see.

Finally, the op ed page will be ours and political power will naturally follow.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

He’s the favorite at this point.

Keep in mind mcsally lost in 2018 against an openly bisexual female candidate.

Kelly is beloved. He’ll roll mcsally.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

this is a bad take that i've seen with alarming regularity. the last senate election in 2018 was decided by .1% of the vote, ten thousand people total, with republican turnout near the max it can possibly be. 2020 will have even more turnout, the question is only whether we can mobilize our base more successfully.

The election with a highly popular incumbent dem vs a highly unpopular rep governor? The fact that it was so close should be telling how bad it is, not how good it is. Nelson was part of this junk establishment we have down here. He barely campaigned, and should have retired before the election.

quote:

it's, in fact, nothing at all like Texas and incredibly winnable, but the sheer amount of catastrophizing and broke-brains I see from florida people is extremely sad. yeah the state sucks, help us make it better

The polls I've seen are bad. Biden is the only one polling ahead of Trump, and by the thinnest of margins of error.

quote:

and felon reenfranchisement already happened, it's not "slow-rolled", what are you even talking about?

people just have to be able to pay off their court costs, if they have any. the average person I see has low hundreds, not thousands, of dollars preventing them from voting (if any at all! many former felons don't actually know what the law is now, and are already eligible they just need someone to confirm it for them!) and those costs can be converted to community service if they can't pay -- i've helped register a half-dozen felons in the past few months in a totally unrelated job.

That's good to hear, and I appreciate your efforts to help register the voters.

What I was referring to is the the legislature and governor putting up road blocks for re-enfranchisement. Paying back the fines is absolutely not what any of the voters had in mind for amendment 4. When faced with the task of paying rent or paying the government fines in able to vote, which do you think people will choose?

On that topic, is that semi recent court ruling still holding up? The one that states only those "proven to be able to have a way to pay" (whatever that means) have to pay for their right to vote to be restored.

eke out posted:

educate yourself on what's required, donate to or volunteer for organizations doing it, help us win florida. or keep posting this "all is lost" catastrophic poo poo that absolves you from having to personally do anything i guess
Until the state Dem apparatus gets its poo poo together, it's going to be more of the same. There's just too many centrist dems here vs progressives. I'm not saying it won't ever change, but no one should consider Florida a swing state for Trump in 2020. Especially with the "legalize weed" young person bait off the ballot.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dick Trauma posted:

If he's reelected he will die in office. The guy won't make it to 78.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm not convinced Trump is getting reelected but it's depressingly more likely than it should be. I mean looking at my map I feel like, "yeah we definitely have to win one of NC, IA, WI, AZ, FL or OH" and none of that feels in the realm of "yeah that's definitely happening". I mean it's still ten months out and conditions will be more clear as we move towards fall.

I feel like if Trump is getting the boot, Blue will win more than one of those states, but that map or something very close to it seems unfortunately close to the current state of things.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Every time you look at the map and feel despair your first point of action should be to find an organizing group to get involved with, or to donate to one of the myriad orgs working hard to flip states or secure voting rights etc etc.

The numbers exist to seize control of the country, vanquish Republicans in the House, Senate, and send Trump to prison where he belongs. It is going to take an absolute insane amount of work to do so, however. Get in.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darko posted:

I have no idea what would happen with the first, really - that would just destroy financial outlooks from the larger companies, losing people's jobs and investments and get people to actually do something. The second would just be business as usual like Gore's loss, where people just complain about it.

My imagining would be Trump and his supporters would cry foul at a Bernie win, even after the states certify the election results, but would hush down when the Joint Chiefs and the everyperson at the DoJ, CIA, etc. tell him that he has three months to get hosed, then afterwards the Republicans and many of his supporters start memory-holing Trump.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I'm not convinced Trump is getting reelected but it's depressingly more likely than it should be. I mean looking at my map I feel like, "yeah we definitely have to win one of NC, IA, WI, AZ, FL or OH" and none of that feels in the realm of "yeah that's definitely happening". I mean it's still ten months out and conditions will be more clear as we move towards fall.

I feel like if Trump is getting the boot, Blue will win more than one of those states, but that map or something very close to it seems unfortunately close to the current state of things.

The real tragedy is that "getting rid of Trump" is such a low bar compared to the scale and scope of the changes this country desperatly needs right loving now. The fact that there's a real chance the US can't even reach that minimal stepping stone is really upsetting.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Yep Arizona is a must-win for Democrats to have any chance of taking the Senate. Arizona is probably the Dems best bet for offense in 2020. MI, PA are technically defense. WI is like the dead middle of the field. Arizona could be the state the Biden thesis makes the most sense - that former Republicans disgusted with Trump looking for a Democrat to vote for will find acceptable. RCP has Biden ahead in Arizona +.3, Bernie losing -5.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/sarperduman/status/1221487426444591110

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oxsnard posted:

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

My previous employer is mentioned by name in 49 CFR as assisting USCG in the administration of one of the sub chapters.

I inspected DG in transit for compliance with federal and international regulations for almost 15 years. My NDA ends in about a year.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It was away way back but someone in here (I think) asked about what the political landscape looks like post-Trump and I think this piece tries to answer some of those questions while also raising some pretty uncomfortable implications:

posted:

One audience member tried to bait Bolton with a question about immigration in Europe: “Should we be worried about European birth levels?” But Bolton, sensing a trap, resisted this. He did not want to tell Europeans how many children they should have, nor Africans either. He wasn’t going to perform any symbolic allegiance to Trumpist themes. Instead, he bore down on the points he wanted to make to an audience that viewed him as oil in the water of Trump’s foreign policy. Venezuela might have to be occupied by the United States. Why? Well, it was already occupied by the Cubans. “If the 20,000 or more Cubans in Venezuela left tomorrow, the Maduro government would fall by midnight.” NATO nations needed to pay their fair share, just as Obama had said, though Trump had said it more forcefully. There was more continuity between the two administrations than the NatCons might like to acknowledge. Bolton was allergic to pandering and made no attempt to hide his addiction to American global supremacy and wars of choice. He was honest about his wish never to get clean.

posted:

In support of Cass, further speeches came from the floor. A voice from the South, J. D. Vance’s, made a searing appeal in emotional tones. The author of Hillbilly Elegy, Vance was the bard of the NatCons, the most gifted lyricist of Trumpism. He was from Appalachia and had climbed his way into the elite hive of Yale Law School. “I’m a venture capitalist,” he said. “If you’re in the Peninsula, right off highway 101 there’s an exit called Willow Road. And on Willow Road you’ll find the Facebook headquarters. And at Facebook, there are neuroscientists currently being paid a lot of money quite literally to addict our children to their applications. And not far from the Facebook headquarters, there are neuroscientists working on how to cure dementia, and how to cure some of the most intractable diseases that affect our society. The people who are working at Facebook addicting our children to their applications make much more money than the people who are attempting to cure our society of its worst diseases, and I think this question about whether we should have an industrial policy ultimately reduces to the question of, Do you think our politics should have an answer about whether it is more valuable to cure our grandchildren than to addict them to terrible applications? And I think the answer is obviously yes.”

posted:

Thiel was going to “drill down into some of the particulars” of these matters. Google? It had lost any attachment to the American nation, and it was in bed with Chinese intelligence. Its executives should be interrogated “in a not excessively gentle way.” Then came an interesting twist: China was dirtying up the whole globe, Thiel said. He suggested that the 25 percent tariff on Chinese goods be “reframed” as a carbon tax, “and maybe the twenty-five percent is a floor and not a ceiling.” The audience loved the way he was co-opting a left-wing cause (climate change) for NatCon ends (American greatness). It was even perhaps more subtle than that: co-opting a left-wing policy program (carbon-taxing a country in order to encourage it to green its economy) and just insisting that its content was populist protectionist. The Trump team, according to Thiel, already had the correct instincts on trade: “You don’t want people negotiating trade treaties who dogmatically believe in free trade, because the worse they are at negotiating, the better job they think they do.”

posted:

Tucker had some tough news for the assembled faithful. “Big Business Hates Your Family” was the title of his talk. Monopoly capitalism was real. “The main threat to your ability to live your life as you choose does not come from the government, but comes from the private sector,” Tucker said. “I was trained from the youngest age, from a pup, to believe that the threats to liberty came from government. . . . And so it really took a huge amount of evidence wagging right in my face—not being the brightest person in D.C.—to realize that in 2019 . . . the threats come primarily from companies, and not from the federal government.” He could give examples. “All new Oreos have the label ‘What’s your pronoun?’ A large American company is committing a pretty brazen act of propaganda aimed at your kids, and the message is that the binary gender scheme which we were taught in biology class in seventh grade is no longer operative.” In fighting this, the libertarians would be worse than useless. Their response was, Yeah, well, if you don’t like it, start your own Oreo company. “But that’s not really an operative option in a world of monopoly power. . . . You can’t create your own Google. . . . You have more power vested in fewer hands than at any time in American history. And that itself is ominous and should make all of us cast aside any thread of ideology or theology or whatever, just look at that straight in the face. Are you comfortable with that? You shouldn’t be. Of course you’re not. . . . They can make whole ideas disappear. And there’s some evidence that they’re working to do that.”

For Tucker, Trump was a galactic tear in the universe, setting the terms of a new reality. Anything was possible. “If the Loch Ness monster exists, what about the yeti!” (Versailles laughter.) “The Trump election spurred in me a kind of reassessment of UFOs. I’m serious. And it turns out, like, they’re real.” (Laughter again.)

Tucker riled his audience a bit when he exposed his knowledge of the American left. He found bits to admire in Warren’s “economic patriotism,” and as long as the left kept quiet about the minorities and the migrants, some of them were promising candidates for a left-right nationalist pact. For this was Tucker’s great insight: the social-democratic left was essentially right about economics. It would be good to nationalize social media; it would be good to boost American wages. The trouble with the left was that it wanted to do these things on behalf of an amorphous citizenry with no sense of boundaries for where American bounty should stop. We already knew who Americans were, Tucker implied; the definition was settled: Americans were people who watched and believed Tucker Carlson.

https://harpers.org/archive/2020/02/trumpism-after-trump/

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

My previous employer is mentioned by name in 49 CFR as assisting USCG in the administration of one of the sub chapters.

I inspected DG in transit for compliance with federal and international regulations for almost 15 years. My NDA ends in about a year.

Cool and what does the coast guard have to do with RMP? I've literally audited internal bp documents related to the incident as part of due diligence. Regardless of your views of the effectiveness of government inspection, the Texas City failure was related to internal communications that would've never been caught in a government audit. BP should've been killed after this and moreso after Deepwater specifically because they did illegal poo poo that was designed to circumvent govt inspection

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oxsnard posted:

Regardless of your views of the effectiveness of government inspection,

I’ve prevented events like that as an independent not for profit inspector in the field.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve prevented events like that as an independent not for profit inspector in the field.

First of all, CG regulations are nothing like PSM, as the latter is systems and performance based. Second, as someone who has been a third party auditor, an internal auditor and a government inspector, not all audits are the same

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oxsnard posted:

First of all, CG regulations are nothing like PSM, as the latter is systems and performance based. Second, as someone who has been a third party auditor, an internal auditor and a government inspector, not all audits are the same

Yes and I’ve done safety audits on behalf of four governments ?

Address my assertion:
We need more people in the field enforcing and inspecting for compliance and not having them makes regulation weaker.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's kind of too early to predict the election. What is the economy going to do? Could it remain as it is right now? Sure. Could there be another crash? Sure. No one knows!
I don't think Obama would have been elected in 08 without endless soundbites of republicans saying "The economy is great, it is fundamentally sound and will be great forever!" about 2 weeks before it exploded.

I have a weird feeling that if we don't have a recession this year one will almost certainly occur towards the beginning of the next presidential term. If it's a democratic president they are going to be hosed because only democrats have to actually deal with consequences.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spite posted:

I don't think Obama would have been elected in 08 without endless soundbites of republicans saying "The economy is great, it is fundamentally sound and will be great forever!" about 2 weeks before it exploded.

Obama was cruising even before the economy melted down.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea the Mccain team panicked and picked Palin for VP because they were so far down in the polls and wanted a “Game Change”. There’s even a tv show about it!

That said the economy exploding basically guaranteed Obama would win by historic margins as people were just loving sick of the Bush era and anything related to it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao remember when everyone freaked out by McCain suspending his campaign like it was some loving political master stroke? then he got to DC and had no idea what was happening and just dementia'd around the room, loving poo poo up?

I think Pillowpants probably lost a couple years off his life.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No I remembered him being laughed at for that.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anecdote and all but my young Republican neighbor who grew up son of a cop in west Texas has been a never Trumper since 2016. He announced yesterday he has formerly left the party and hopes to vote for Biden.
Small steps and all I guess.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Obama was cruising even before the economy melted down.

No, he wasn't

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

On 9/15, when Lehman Brothers announced it would file for bankruptcy, McCain was ahead in the polling average.

edit: if you want a blow by blow:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/10/the-john-mccain-campaignsuspension-timeline

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

McCain was almost certainly going to lose even if the economy didn't tank. Obama winning in 2008 was the second most predictable election of my lifetime after Bush I.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea the Mccain team panicked and picked Palin for VP because they were so far down in the polls and wanted a “Game Change”. There’s even a tv show about it!

That said the economy exploding basically guaranteed Obama would win by historic margins as people were just loving sick of the Bush era and anything related to it.

Another big help was that the right-wing media had spent four years gearing up for a campaign against Hillary Clinton, and they really didn't have that much time to change streams. Even the Kenyan Muslim Socialist stuff was thin on the right back then since most of the right just hoped for a lot of bad blood from Obama supporters hurting Clinton in the general until it became apparent he was going to get the nomination. The real right-wing hatred of Obama didn't really spin up properly until he was already in office.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

joepinetree posted:

No, he wasn't

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

On 9/15, when Lehman Brothers announced it would file for bankruptcy, McCain was ahead in the polling average.

holy poo poo I'm having flashbacks to those 2008 polls, especially that McCain +10 USA Today poll 9/5-9/7

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FizFashizzle posted:

holy poo poo I'm having flashbacks to those 2008 polls, especially that McCain +10 USA Today poll 9/5-9/7

Those polls were from the week after the Republican National Convention, where candidates are expected to get a polling bounce. If you looked at the aggregate from that entire year, as well as the state-level polling, nothing changed for McCain. He was gonna lose bigly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ummel posted:

Until the state Dem apparatus gets its poo poo together, it's going to be more of the same. There's just too many centrist dems here vs progressives. I'm not saying it won't ever change, but no one should consider Florida a swing state for Trump in 2020. Especially with the "legalize weed" young person bait off the ballot.

okay well thanks, one way to help make sure Trump wins Florida in 2020 is to do your best to discourage anyone from caring about the state or believing we can possibly win

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Those polls were from the week after the Republican National Convention, where candidates are expected to get a polling bounce. If you looked at the aggregate from that entire year, as well as the state-level polling, nothing changed for McCain. He was gonna lose bigly.

Oh yeah, I know. Especially when you read things like Gamechange where the McCain campaign was going broke the whole time and like wasting money running polls in Alaska.

I just meant reading the threads on here when those polls were released. I'd just graduated and obviously there weren't jobs so all I was doing at the time was :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FizFashizzle posted:

That was my last month of college. I already had a job lined up, but watching the investment banks failing in real time while preparing for finals was bad enough. Then McCain being up like that was horrifying.