Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Organza Quiz posted:

Peridot is like this too except I gave in and started keeping a mug full of water just for her to drink out of so she can feel like she's drinking human water.

I tried this, but she likes splashing in it just as much, so she's only allowed to do it under observation. Otherwise, I might as well live in a wading pool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I wish Wednesday didn't make me feel like a monster every time I hoover the flat. I checked her usual hiding places before starting on the bedroom today and thought all was clear but then a few seconds in she flew faster than lightning out from under the duvet. Now she won't even accept a treat offered to her under the sofa.

I know she'll get over it but I wish I could make her understand that she is not being predated by the noisy vroom thing.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aleta likes to drink water out of cups more than her bowl, so I have to be careful not to set down water glasses and walk away.

June does this as well and I've learned the hard way not to keep glasses of water on my nightstand.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats loves drinking the water left over in the sliding door track after I shower. Fuckin cats, man.

Well, two, actually, she accidentally taught the kitten to do it. But now he actually jumps completely in the tub instead of going for the track.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One of my cats loves drinking the water left over in the sliding door track after I shower. Fuckin cats, man.

Well, two, actually, she accidentally taught the kitten to do it. But now he actually jumps completely in the tub instead of going for the track.

As soon as I turn off the shower Salem is sat on the toilet ready to enter the shower and lick the floor.

He has three different waterers in the house, but this, this is the gourmet poo poo.

Reminder that the little poo poo in my avatar is the same cat who does all this weird poo poo in my house.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 25, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

As soon as I turn off the shower Salem is sat on the toilet ready to enter the shower and lick the floor.

He has three different waterers in the house, but this, this is the gourmet poo poo.

Peridot also does this, except that she's convinced that she's not allowed and that I must not see her do it.

So instead she yells at me until I get out of the bathroom so that she can go in and drink the water she has decided is forbidden water.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Artichoke has a tall yellow cup that he drinks out of. My girlfriend has a tall orange cup that she drinks out of. If she ever sets that cup on the floor for any reason he will knock it over. It's getting so bad that he's started trying to knock it out of her hand.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How long ago was it? If he's still clearly in pain a few days later, maybe go to the vet. If it just happened, stop fiddling with the tip of his tail and let the poor guy heal dammit.

He's probably fine.

I have to make sure he’s ok!!!!! :byodood:

He’s fine, not in pain as far as I can tell. Tail whips and can be held up high.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Xander likes any water glass or cup that’s left out, and has a great habit of knocking them over with his big, dumb head. I’ve had to train anyone who stays with me for any length of time not to leave water out anywhere he can jump on. Fortunately, the old man doesn’t have ups anymore, but he’ll still figure out a way if that sweet, tempting tap water is waiting for him.

He also likes to lick the mouths of my beer bottles, but only beer, and he never wants any beer of his own if I pour a little on a plate for him to lick. Weirdo cat.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aleta likes to drink water out of cups more than her bowl, so I have to be careful not to set down water glasses and walk away.

Hendricks loves drinking out of my water glass, and it's super cute watching him get all excited and paw at the table while he does it.

It's less cute when I'm laying in bed and hear the cup I forgot in the kitchen splash all over the floor. I think it's Morris doing that, though. He sticks his paw into cups to see where the water is, instead of finding out with his nose like Hendricks.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I forgot we used to give Sleek "cocktails" he liked to watch the bubbles in the seltzer water, play with the ice, and straw.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Call-out post for this loving piece of poo poo:

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/beds-and-furniture/furniture-and-towers/whisker-city-stretch-n-scratch-cat-ramp-5265992.html

Sounds good in theory, completely useless because there's nothing securing it into place so it falls over immediately. Plus, the sisal covering lasted maybe an hour before being completely pulled off by my cat. Not even slightly worth $24.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
These are great since you can just flip them over once one side is all torn up:

https://www.amazon.com/Catit-Style-Scratcher-Catnip-Jungle-Stripe/dp/B0032G6VVQ/

Also made in a couch shape to be adorbs:

https://www.amazon.com/You-Me-Cardboard-Scratcher-Assorted/dp/B074P472HN/

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
We get one like this for our cat Odin who loves to sleep with his head inside it: https://www.amazon.com/PetFusion-Ve...c4-3e7a9c0027d0

However we buy it at Target where it's like half the price. The only downside is our big monster cat will eventually get it to the point that every time he scratches it leaves cardboard shreds everywhere in his wake, but it's better than couch shreds everywhere.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I now realise that our incredibly sturdy scratch furniture is almost a year old, we did turn it over at some point but still!

Old pic btw, from this very thread, it looks a little more beaten up now because it gets used every day.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I think my next cat is going to be a jellicle. Does anyone know any reputable jellicle breeders in the Bay Area? Or have advice about taking care of them? I know jellicles are really only happy if you have at least two, and I'm going to want soundproofing.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

demota posted:

I think my next cat is going to be a jellicle. Does anyone know any reputable jellicle breeders in the Bay Area? Or have advice about taking care of them? I know jellicles are really only happy if you have at least two, and I'm going to want soundproofing.

You ought to ask magical Mr Mistoffelees, the original conjuring cat.

This phenomenal cat produced seven kittens right out of a hat!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If my cat has salt poisoning, when should I expect to see symptoms? He seems a little quiet and reserved but not definitive enough to take him in. He found and ate maybe a golf ball sized amount of salted pork tongue that was cooling down in a pot. The curing salt was likely not all leeched out of it yet. He immediately started drinking water which he never does.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

How can you tell if a cat has brain damage?

We've had the big cat (Luna) for almost a year now, and I've been noticing some weird stuff:

- She can't track things with her eyes. We bought one of those automatic laser thingies, which is one of the only things that she'll actively engage with, and while she loves it, she can neither follow the dot nor understand that sometimes it goes behind her.

- Her mouth is almost always open and her tongue is usually out. She will literally walk around with her tongue poking out of her mouth. She is missing a few teeth on one side. I would like to have her teeth checked, but there's no physical signs of tooth decay or damage, and nothing else in her behavior indicates dental issues.

(I have not taken her to the vet for the tongue because handling her is so traumatic and she screams and screams, and since she's been this way basically since we adopted her and has no issue chomping on food, licking herself, etc., I don't think there's anything wrong with her teeth specifically.)

- She has one ear with a notch out of it. On that side, she's missing teeth, has a long scar running down her jaw, and has one eye with a pupil that dilates more slowly than the other eyes. She also winks with that eye a lot. It's almost like when a human has a stroke, but she has full use of both limbs and can run pretty fast, so I don't think that's the issue.

- She is terrified to pass by people. If she is in the hallway and I enter the hallway, she will freeze in a submissive pose and make tiny mews like a kitten and not a 15-pound trashbag. Then she will freak out and either run away from me, or run towards me super fast and jump in her Tsundere Box (it is a box that she gets in when she gets emotionally overwhelmed or is losing at tag; she treats it like "home base" in a game of hide and seek or something.) She's not afraid of us at all, but she is afriad of being trapped in a small space with ANY person.

The rescue would be no help; we have had so many issues with them (stealing the kitten, lying about the cats' medical histories and their veterinary procedures for new animals, and another problem I'll mention in the next paragraph) and I don't trust them to work with us honestly at this point.

I can have a vet come to the house, but it's more expensive than I can really handle right now, because the Cat Fuckers gave us a document saying we'd already paid the fee to the government to cover the surgery, and GUESS WHAT IT WAS A FAKE so I spent 360 Euros total on cat vagina last month.

Luna doesn't seem distressed, sick, or unhappy, just really dim. If this does sound like brain damage or something to anyone, I'd like to know. I will be taking her to the vet in a few months for a booster shot- I have :catdrugs: ready for the transfer- but if anyone has further insight, that would be helpful.

Here she is, taking up an entire fruit tart:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If my cat has salt poisoning, when should I expect to see symptoms? He seems a little quiet and reserved but not definitive enough to take him in. He found and ate maybe a golf ball sized amount of salted pork tongue that was cooling down in a pot. The curing salt was likely not all leeched out of it yet. He immediately started drinking water which he never does.

Now he keeps returning to his hiding spot deep in a closet every time we ignore him. He doesn't usually do that. is he in pain? He at least comes out when we call him.

Should we do anything? It's 12:46am over here.

Edit: He's playing now.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 29, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Now he keeps returning to his hiding spot deep in a closet every time we ignore him. He doesn't usually do that. is he in pain? He at least comes out when we call him.

Is he peeing?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

How can you tell if a cat has brain damage?

:shrug:

Hard to say. It's likely not even a vet will know. Some cats are just dumber than others, who knows why. The important thing is, is she happy and safe? Does she make you happy?

If she sometimes needs to run to a box to feel safe... Well, good! Cats should have safe places they feel comfortable going to. That might lessen over time as she gets more used to you. It might not, and that might just be how she is. Unless she seems to be in pain or is making your life hell, I'd just accept her quirks and love her like she is without worrying about the reasons.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'd watch his bathroom habits. If he's puking repeatedly or has diarrhea, get to the emergency vet.

Most 24-hour ER vets have a helpline you can call for advice on whether you should take your cat in or not. Find that out and have it handy.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 29, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

:shrug:

Hard to say. It's likely not even a vet will know. Some cats are just dumber than others, who knows why. The important thing is, is she happy and safe? Does she make you happy?

If she sometimes needs to run to a box to feel safe... Well, good! Cats should have safe places they feel comfortable going to. That might lessen over time as she gets more used to you. It might not, and that might just be how she is. Unless she seems to be in pain or is making your life hell, I'd just accept her quirks and love her like she is without worrying about the reasons.

Oh, she's the best-behaved and most ladylike creature on Earth. She loves it when we talk to her, she likes it if we sing, now that we have the automatic laser pointer, she'll even play! She's stopped trying to eat Aleta and spends a lot of time playing tag with her. I love her and I'm really happy she's with us instead of at that rescue with those shitheads, but because she's so secretive and kind of wonky in general, I don't know when to worry, you know what I mean?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I would really like to not have a cardboard box covered in drool in the living room, but it's cute that she has it! (We can't move her stuff or she freaks out, and she can't adapt easily)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, she's the best-behaved and most ladylike creature on Earth. She loves it when we talk to her, she likes it if we sing, now that we have the automatic laser pointer, she'll even play! She's stopped trying to eat Aleta and spends a lot of time playing tag with her. I love her and I'm really happy she's with us instead of at that rescue with those shitheads, but because she's so secretive and kind of wonky in general, I don't know when to worry, you know what I mean?

"Secretive" and "wonky" basically describes all cats.

Worry when she seems in pain or is significantly altering her normal behavior. Some cats will always just be skittish and need some "safe" time, and that's fine and normal!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up the feather on a string and now I feel like a wizard because I summoned a cat from the abyss

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Len posted:

I picked up the feather on a string and now I feel like a wizard because I summoned a cat from the abyss

This also works if you don't even own a cat.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Len posted:

I can't even open a plastic bag of chips or snacks without the cats bolting into the kitchen like they've been shot out of a cannon from whatever spot they're hiding in because they think it's the treat bag.

good cats.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SixPabst posted:

I can't even open a plastic bag of chips or snacks without the cats bolting into the kitchen like they've been shot out of a cannon from whatever spot they're hiding in because they think it's the treat bag.

good cats.

This is the gospel truth. Chips, snacks, cough drops, ramen... anything that sounds like a crinkly bag must, by catly definition, contain treats.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
You ever try to eat a loving can of beans with your lunch. Warp speed cat arrival. It’s BEANS.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Our cat has been disappointed on many occasions to learn that we're pouring frozen sweetcorn into a saucepan and not pouring biscuits onto the scales.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats ate some foam pieces from an exercise mat. I know because I found them puked up in the hallway this morning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One of my cats ate some foam pieces from an exercise mat. I know because I found them puked up in the hallway this morning.

We used to have a foam matt for the kitchen because it made doing dishes more comfy. rear end in a top hat thought it was great for claw sharpening and then decided to eat the bits that came up. Thankfully it never became a blockage because he did the same thing.

As it turns out he had apparently batted a chunk behind the washer at some point because last week when he was hiding for dear life behind the washer he found it and decided to try eating it again.

Same result. Fuckin' dumbass

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SixPabst posted:

good cats.

I like canned tuna and pretty soon after getting a cat any time I'd make it I'd give her a little bit. She started to realize this, and so started trotting into the kitchen any time she heard me open the can.

Flash forward a few years, and now I can't even put a ceramic bowl down on the counter without her bolting to me from whatever corner of the house she's in, because she's realized this is the first step in my process for making tuna.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Xander thinks any ziploc bag being opened is a bag full of treats.

No, you furry dingus, this is a bag of assorted rack screws, not your loving kibs. Stop trying to climb my leg. It's not helping either of us get what we want.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
We have a laser toy on a key chain, and one of my cats knows the sound of that key chain (and ONLY that key chain) and will come running if it's so much as accidentally bumped on the table. I have tried picking it up as quietly as possible to test him and he always hears it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PacoTheThird posted:

We have a laser toy on a key chain, and one of my cats knows the sound of that key chain (and ONLY that key chain) and will come running if it's so much as accidentally bumped on the table. I have tried picking it up as quietly as possible to test him and he always hears it.

Sweetheart is exactly like that. That keychain noise specifically = ENGAGE HUNTRESS OF THE NIGHT MODE.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Our cat Batman fuckin' loves floss. It's his most favorite toy. So anytime you're brushing your teeth he's all up in your face. Doubly so if he hears the floss being opened or pulled out. I wouldn't mind it except it means he wants to play when I'm going to bed, and I know he eats it if I leave him alone with it.

(It's actually not that bad and I love him and he's the best)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Best cat pee smell remover? Our boy is a stress pisser and we changed some stuff around (furniture rearranged, my partner who is usually home all the time is away house sitting, we have a long term guest rn) and I think he peed under the drat table because every time I go out there I get a whiff of ammonia :mad: he's usually such a good boy about using the box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

big dyke energy posted:

Best cat pee smell remover? Our boy is a stress pisser and we changed some stuff around (furniture rearranged, my partner who is usually home all the time is away house sitting, we have a long term guest rn) and I think he peed under the drat table because every time I go out there I get a whiff of ammonia :mad: he's usually such a good boy about using the box!

Enzymatic cleaners specifically intended for urine cleanup are your best option, and basically essential for killing the odor enough to make the cat not think it's a Pee Zone anymore. Nature's Miracle is my go-to.