Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's how I understood it as well; just for ladders and gaps jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought that's what they'd been saying it had?
No, it has fade teleport, and smooth teleport, and stick movement. The thing everyone is pissed off about now is that it doesn't have a jump button or Boneworks style mantling, which imo is kind of a ridiculous expectation

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Walking dead is really fun. The extra knife push to kill the zombies adds a lot. The only thing that is annoying me is the crazy swing the guns have when you move even the slightest. Pistols aren't that heavy. drat weak wrist developers :bahgawd:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm having a lot of trouble hitting my targets with guns in TWD. Other games I don't have that much trouble

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I had a horrific night in Walking Dead tonight, died and died again thus losing my backpack. I feel relatively inept against human targets, but I'm thinking I might be trying to progress the campaign too quickly and should really do more scavenging and building weapons before I try to take on big bases full of humans. Still having fun with it but I got massively humbled about my actual coordination and reaction times at least 3 times tonight. Gotta put in the work on my own reflexes in more than just the tips of my fingers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm pretty curious about the statistics behind VR quesyness and the biological mechanisms that result in such large divergence in experience. I know I'm capable of motion sickness, altho the only thing I've had that sets it off is when I'm in a car with my dad because he loves to accelerate / decelerate six times per second, but I'm the only one in my family that gets that way. Nothing in VR has set me off even slightly, even when I intentionally try to do things that should get me feeling ill, boneworks included. It's super unfair that some people just get hosed up by VR, I wish there was some Weird Trick to help people get around it.

Maybe its because I'd have contests with my kin as a kid to see who could spin around in a circle longer, just broke that part of my inner ear while it was in development or some poo poo.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 26, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My Big Brain VR Theory is that its inversely proportional to how good your equilibrium is irl, cause VR making you sick is what should happen biologically, its a sign that your vestibular system is functioning normally. To be a hyphy VR nerd you gotta have a hosed up brain that doesn't give a poo poo about sensory conflicts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

My Big Brain VR Theory is that its inversely proportional to how good your equilibrium is irl, cause VR making you sick is what should happen biologically, its a sign that your vestibular system is functioning normally. To be a hyphy VR nerd you gotta have a hosed up brain that doesn't give a poo poo about sensory conflicts

Something like that sorta makes sense, although obviously we're just bullshitting and know nothing.

But like, I wonder if for example being an alcoholic might give you an advantage. Because doesn't getting dehydrated and super drunk and/or hung/over cause your Eustachian tubes to get hosed up and that's why you get like the spins?

So I wonder if you could build up more resistance to that, as opposed to someone who is used to having functional senses. :shrug:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I don't think so, because after many years I still can get carsick, but after mild but regular use for one month, I got my VR legs. Both are obviously connected to the vestibular system but they are somehow different.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
As someone who puts lots of people in headsets for their first time at conventions, I find lots of people who feel immediately weird is due to the perception going into it. I actively avoid mentioning anything about motion sickness - because chances are if you're thinking it - it will happen. Those who don't even think of it tend to be just fine.

This is for short bursts however. I only notice it myself after being in VR for a long time, or if something that is performing terribly.

Which is one of the biggest issues for VR adoption, as there's alot of really lovely demos out there from engineering or architectural companies trying to show off they're innovative - but aren't game designers/ modellers and don't understand the need to optimise their content. So you get some really simple looking environments that are crazy high poly and run at bad frame rates, which if it is someones first experience with VR doesn't leave a good impression or leave them wanting more.

It's either that, or someone gives them a Google cardboard roller coaster vomit comet demo and that colours their opinion going forward.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I'm uncoordinated as gently caress and spinning around in circles gets me dizzy pretty quick, i doubt its that.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm still thinking what to buy for my Quest, to connect to the PC, if the official Link cable, or a normal cable + action extension cable. Official cable is 90€ :(, the other combination would go for 25€ or so. Although, I still haven't found a good unofficial solution, I would like to have a usbc to usba, with 90º connector and 2 meters of length, so the connection point between both cables is in the floor, but I still haven't seen one in Amazon like that.

Anyone have the official Link cable? Do you think it's recommendable or is it overkill?

I just got my Quest yesterday and picked up the 3m PartyLink Quest cable from Amazon. Had to fiddle with the USB A adapter a bit (for me it was the reverse of the directions) but it seems to work pretty well so far and it was cheap.
Only complaint is that the length is a touch too short since I can't use my front usb port. I'm a bit reticent to try fiddling around with extensions as the official forums seem to be full of people not very satisfied with the stability of their connection.
It seems like if you can stomach the price the official cable is a safer bet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really like the official Link cable. It's long, thin and light and I haven't found any other cables that hit all 3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lemming posted:

https://i.imgur.com/EwjPygk.mp4

Messing around with an idea I had for a type of locomotion, essentially you have no legs, your arms are very strong, and you move by walking/jumping with your arms. I've been calling it gorilla locomotion after a suggestion from a friend. Right now you don't even press the grab button, it's sort of physics-y where your hand stick to surfaces and you move 1:1, but then once you move faster than some velocity threshold over a short-ish period of time (so you need to try to throw, not just bounce your hand on the ground), you keep going in that direction.

oh god it's Getting Over It in VR

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It happened me 2 or 3 times already (in the last two months) that the proximity sensor of the Quest glitches out and while I left it with a 80% charge in the morning, by the evening it won't start because it's a 0% battery. Well, I don't have direct evidence of what the problem is, I'm imagining is the awake/proximity sensor system the one glitching out and turning it on for hours without me noticing.

Am I the only one?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I turned off auto wake in settings in the first week of owning a Quest because of that issue

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Origami Dali posted:

I turned off auto wake in settings in the first week of owning a Quest because of that issue

Ditto. It's not worth it. Just deal with the 10 secs for it to turn back on manually

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I haven't seen anyone really talk about The Under Presents and it's a really weird thing that I've been playing all weekend. It has basically two modes, in one you are on this boat as kind of a ghost and you can follow the crewmembers around and watch their stories, and it's kind of Obra Dinn like in that you're trying to figure out what happened but it has little puzzle sequences where you can try to save the characters who otherwise die, and you can fast forward and re-wind time.

Then there's the framing for all that, which is that the boat frozen in time is a game/attraction that is part of this theater out of time called The Under, which has a stage that has a bunch of shows and while you are in The Under it's multiplayer. And you can do all these spells to make objects, or make objects bigger, or make them gold, or all sorts of poo poo, and none of that is explained so you just have to figure it out through trial and error or by someone showing you. There's no voice chat, the only way to communicate with other people is through gestures or snapping your figures, so it's pretty funny when someone runs up to you and is all "SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP" and then they show you the mask sequence they just figured out to make a giant golden flamingo or whatever. There's also secret areas in the Under and some random person took me on an adventure to show me how and where I could craft a different looking mask.

Anyway, until sometime in March the pre-recorded acts in the theater also include live performances from actors standing in for some of the NPC sometimes. After that it's not known if the live actors will continue or if there will be a Season 2 or what, so if you ever want to check it out, the next month or so is the time to do it. Right now there's a good amount of people playing it, and I've been really enjoying loving around with the weirdos in the theater and then going back to the boat puzzle for awhile.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Another hearty recommendation for the walking dead vr. This is crazy immersive, even beyond the combat mechanics. You can grab parts of the world and then pull yourself toward it, like while crouching you can grab a couch and peek up and over it, or the corner of a wall and slowly pull yourself forward to peek over then push yourself back into place. When looting places you pull open dressers and drawers by grabbing and pulling instead of a button press. Also I love vr games that allow me to throw a weapon from one hand into the other.

Downside so far for me is pulling weapons out of zombies is a bit janky. I'll pull my arm back but the weapon will still be in the zombie, so I gotta bring my arm back then pull it again. If this was intentional like the weapon got stuck and I need to give it a good tug to get out, some haptic feedback would do a lot to help me recognize it and keep me immersed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Grab the zombie's head and push it off the knife

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
We need to organise some Goon led games.

I'm constantly amazed by multiplayer in VR - but feel completely out of place in games that are either populated by obnoxious kids or by stoners struggling to put a sentence together.

Or in the case of Poker Stars - never say a word.

Does any one still play bridge crew? The couple of times I've booted it up the games seemed empty.

From memory when I first played it you needed to wait around a bit for people to join after finishing another game - but drat is that hard to do with a VR helmet on your head and nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs on the meantime.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Chin Strap posted:

Ditto. It's not worth it. Just deal with the 10 secs for it to turn back on manually

I manually power mine off all the way when I'm actually done. even thats only like 30 seconds to power all the way on, vs the 15 minutes I had to wait for the rift to warm up so it wouldn't fog

Also, Moss is super awesome. Helping a mouse who uses ASL through a diorama you can actually poke around in yourself is way more perfect that I would have imagined. I was convinced I would be meh at the 3rd person perspective, but I'm sold.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isometric Bacon posted:

[...]
Does any one still play bridge crew? The couple of times I've booted it up the games seemed empty.

I just picked it up and was trying to figure out how to get a crew together. iirc you can crossplay with non-VR users so it seems like it would be easy enough

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Leal posted:

Downside so far for me is pulling weapons out of zombies is a bit janky. I'll pull my arm back but the weapon will still be in the zombie, so I gotta bring my arm back then pull it again. If this was intentional like the weapon got stuck and I need to give it a good tug to get out, some haptic feedback would do a lot to help me recognize it and keep me immersed.

I've been having the exact same problem.

SCheeseman posted:

Grab the zombie's head and push it off the knife

:eek:

The walking dead is loving intense. I made it to the first church bell, then realized I should have practiced reloading the shotgun / revolver before I needed them. You don't want to figure that out while zombies are at your face.
I wish there was a way to get my shiv's and screwdrivers and such without having to gingerly cycle through a menu on the backpack. Unless there's a shortcut to those items im missing?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

The walking dead is loving intense. I made it to the first church bell, then realized I should have practiced reloading the shotgun / revolver before I needed them. You don't want to figure that out while zombies are at your face.
I wish there was a way to get my shiv's and screwdrivers and such without having to gingerly cycle through a menu on the backpack. Unless there's a shortcut to those items im missing?

I usually cycle shivs as they deplete in my left waist slot and have a pistol in the right. If I'm exploring a house, there's usually some kind of screwdriver or knife nearby so I temporarily hold that instead of storing it in order to prolong the life of my holstered one. Don't bother gathering shivs, only carry 2 or 3 max as there's usually more material rich items around that you can recycle.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SCheeseman posted:

I usually cycle shivs as they deplete in my left waist slot and have a pistol in the right. If I'm exploring a house, there's usually some kind of screwdriver or knife nearby so I temporarily hold that instead of storing it in order to prolong the life of my holstered one. Don't bother gathering shivs, only carry 2 or 3 max as there's usually more material rich items around that you can recycle.

Ty, I was very drunk when I first played it last night, resuming this afternoon I had forgotten I had a pouch on the left side :downs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isometric Bacon posted:

I'm constantly amazed by multiplayer in VR - but feel completely out of place in games that are either populated by obnoxious kids or by stoners struggling to put a sentence together.

From memory when I first played it you needed to wait around a bit for people to join after finishing another game - but drat is that hard to do with a VR helmet on your head and nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs on the meantime.

I’ve been saying forever that we need to get a goon Pokerstars table going. You can make your own tables and password them to keep them private

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was looking up whether or not Saints and Sinners had proper index controller support, and apparently for some reason they decided that ignoring the Steam API was a real good idea in favour of hard-picking controllers based on your HMD like Bethesda did with Fallout 4 (Knuckles if you have index, Wands if you have a Vive, etc) :cripes:.

Fixing this is at the top of their to-do list, thankfully.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's already fixed, from what I understand. It was a day1 hotfix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gooch181 posted:

It's already fixed, from what I understand. It was a day1 hotfix.

The forum thread I saw was only updated with "we're working on fixing this" as of about three days ago here, so I don't think it has been. Someone who actually has the game and a vive/knuckles setup can probably answer better than us guessing though :v:.

Also it's patent speculation time again! This time it's a an awarded patent for a bug-eyed Samsung HMD, and it's fair to guess they are indeed making their own inside-out tracked headsets now. UploadVR are also either really dense about this kind of thing or just clickbait guessing for speculation (i'd say both); The "new kind of strap" is fundamentally just the same as the Odyssey and Vive Pro's setup, and it's pretty loving doubtful it'd be standalone just looking at the ergonomics of it. It's also a year out of date (as its time of filing was Jan 3rd, 2019), so I'd be curious if a later iteration tucked in a lab somewhere didn't add a fifth camera up top like the Rift S.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Is it not this issue?

quote:

SDI_NirdyNirdsLast Thursday at 8:34 PM
@everyone Incoming Patch
The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners Hotfix CL 157305 Release Notes

Controller/Headset Compatability Improvements:
Knuckles Controllers now supported on multiple headsets
Vive Wands now supported on multiple headset
We do not have access to the whole headset/controller ecosystem so if your combination is still not working, please reach out to us right away. We want everyone to be able to enjoy the game!

New Vive Wand Movment Options
Options menu now offers left Trackpad Click/Hybrid/Touch modes:
Click: Click and hold to move. Double-tap to sprint.
Hybrid (Default): Click to move, lift to stop. Double-tap to sprint.
Touch: Touch To move. Click to sprint.

Launch day has been wonderful. Thank you for your feedback!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gooch181 posted:

Is it not this issue?

Yup that's it. Looks like it must've dropped right after the thread I looked at.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve been saying forever that we need to get a goon Pokerstars table going. You can make your own tables and password them to keep them private

I’m in! I’ve been playing at least a few rounds a night, it’s fun to pretend smoke cigars and drink real whisky in my scrubs and be social.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I keep telling myself to take it slow in Thrill of the Fight and make my punches count more but the amount I punch has just creeped up from 300 to 450 per match. I'm still winning by good margins so its... fine, right? Yes, I'm just clearly, very good, and powerful.

I need to figure out the trick to getting those red hit markers, like, maybe, actually putting practice into aiming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Isometric Bacon posted:

We really should schedule a goon bridge crew or poker stars meetup

RFC2324 posted:

I just picked it up and was trying to figure out how to get a crew together. iirc you can crossplay with non-VR users so it seems like it would be easy enough

Yeah I've played it with my cousin who doesn't have VR. You just start a session and then you can invite friends to take spots.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Let's uh, shoot for 7:30pm PST (10:30pm EST) on Wednesday? Pokerstars VR. Someone else can figure out the passworded table thing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I keep telling myself to take it slow in Thrill of the Fight and make my punches count more but the amount I punch has just creeped up from 300 to 450 per match. I'm still winning by good margins so its... fine, right? Yes, I'm just clearly, very good, and powerful.

I need to figure out the trick to getting those red hit markers, like, maybe, actually putting practice into aiming.

I feel like the flurry of punches has been proven as good by any number of shonen

Hadlock posted:

Let's uh, shoot for 7:30pm PST (10:30pm EST) on Wednesday? Pokerstars VR. Someone else can figure out the passworded table thing.

I hate my work schedule :v:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Hadlock posted:

That would be in the middle of the night for eurogoons

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Kamrat posted:

That would be in the middle of the night for eurogoons

Yeah... 2pm for me here in Australia, so I'll have to sit that one out :(.

drat it, why aren't I an unemployed uni bum anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Really want to play more Walking dead but Index left controller thumbstick completely lost all left to right movement. Get to see how Valves hardware RMA process is.