Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well you've bought it, I dont think anyone's averse to a trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I beat the two levels currently in there and I didn't hate it but I definitely had some gripes.

Encounter and enemy design are not great in places. There are a handful of more elite/bigger enemies and once you get them low they basically spam their deadliest move until you kill them. The hitboxes on these moves are typically very bad.

The world does in fact randomize in multiple ways when you die; layout, enemies, traps, shops, etc. You also lose everything not equipped on death, including skill gems - how you level skills - blood, crafting items, vendor junk, everything that doesn't have the Permanent Retention item stat. This is whatever, ultimately, but is a weird choice.

The combat itself is Dark Souls in the main but also dips sideways into DMC with weapon combos, launchers, air moves and a bit of Nico's grappling hook. Parries, dodge dash and roll a la W3. The combat is good, bad enemies sometimes aside and I had a fair bit of fun with it.

I dunno, for eight bucks I'm interested in seeing what they do with it and maybe trying the Bloody Palace mode. I don't hate it but it's definitively low rent in comparison to everything it's aping so don't get in expecting total brilliance if you get it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

This is a pretty apt description of Code Vein, tbh

Code Vein is Dark souls with sad anime vampires

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Steam still manages to surprise me sometimes.

I write a lot of guides to the games I play. Today, I've decided to figure out how the guide rating system works.

You get 3 stars once your guide has 25 upvotes, 4 stars once your guide has (?) upvotes (definitely less than 100, and favorites apparently also play a part?), 5 stars once it reaches 200. Downvotes probably counter-balance this in some way.

So far, so good (though at least one great guide to Arcanum spells was erased because the writer was a primadonna and balked at the thought of the guide getting 3 stars).

But! I can see how many people rated my guide (only once the guide gets those initial 25 votes, for some reason) but not how many of them upvoted it versus downvoting it.

Is there a way to find that out?

There is! And it's absolutely reasonable and intuitive!

Get a friend to favorite your guide, and then check their activity feed to see how many people upvoted!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xander77 posted:

I write a lot of guides to the games I play. Today, I've decided to figure out how the guide rating system works.

You get 3 stars once your guide has 25 upvotes, 4 votes once your guide has 100 upvotes, 5 stars once it reaches 200. Downvotes probably counter-balance this in some way.

So far, so good (though at least one great guide to Arcanum spells was erased because the writer was a primadonna and balked at the thought of the guide getting 3 stars).

But! I can see how many people rated my guide (only once the guide gets those initial 25 votes, for some reason) but not how many of them upvoted it versus downvoting it.

Get a friend to favorite your guide, and then check their activity feed to see how many people upvoted!

I remember reading the Arcanum section on the Before I Play wiki. Later on I also checked some Steam guides and I found one which seemed to copy-paste the former. I was completely ready to be outraged!... but then I saw the author's name. I own the game on GOG instead of Steam, so I couldn't give it a thumbs up.

You also can't upvote and downvote when your account is not in good standing. Probably to prevent abuse.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 26, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DrNutt posted:

This is a pretty apt description of Code Vein, tbh

https://media.tenor.com/videos/48fcc4a745f58ff5acaeddb6b4dcfdfe/mp4

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are Dead Rising 3 or 4 worth sticking on a wishlist? I absolutely loved 1 and had a lot of fun with 2, but my understanding is that 3 & 4 largely move away from the optimization and time management in favor of more generic ubisoft-esque open world stuff?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I never played 4, but 3 was still fairly amusing, even if it did (as you say) move away from the time management aspect. Which is to say that there isn't one - the game tells you you have five days until the city gets nuked, but it's plot days, not real-time days. It's a solidly entertaining game to play, but the complexity and detail of the world comes nowhere close to what Dead Rising 2 did. It feels a lot more like someone thought "what if Dead Rising, but GTA?" and made a game from that.

If you don't expect it to be too much like Dead Rising 1 and 2 it's still possible to have fun with it, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Outside the time limit stuff Dead Rising 3 still acts and feels like a Dead Rising game, for the most part. It also gets a bit too mean-spirited for a few of its psychos in an attempt to be edgy.

I never played DR4 either but I’ve heard nothing but bad things.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think I'm playing prey totally wrong. I'm 30 hours in and I'm still running out of resources constantly. I'm starting to think I messed up in taking only one non-human skill tree to stay under the turret threshold. I'm pretty happy with my build, or so I thought, but the lack of ammo is making this a real slog. I know I can basically game the system by making item piles in a fanning circle and farming them with recycler charges but that seems like a really dumb game mechanic to force on the player to have them be able to keep up. I feel like I must have overlooked something if this is how the game is forcing me to continue if I don't want to sprint through sections to travel at this point.

I'm doing the ole, upgraded shotgun for close/midrange, gloo for stunlock and 2/3rds upgraded kinetic blast with chips that reduce the cooldown and increase the damage of it for longer range attacks. This works out great, except for the lack of ammo. I did the psi water side thing, so I'm thinking gently caress keeping up with psi shots, use water sources instead and recycle those for material. I know the advice is recycler charge and dead operators but that poo poo feels so tedious to have to do...I don't know why it rubs me the wrong way.

All said, this game is totally my poo poo and I should have jumped on this sooner than 3 years after the fact...it's also one of the few times in a fps where I have no clue how much progress I've made towards the end...I'm currently scanning coral clusters, and then presumably going to confront Alex next in the main thread and side plot wise killed luka, didn't save my ex because i didn't realize it was a timer based thing with about 7 open rando things I'm halfway in like the treasure map one, etc ..

At this point the game also dropped some dialogue that makes me think I'm in some end game timer state where I'm not going to have time if I wanna break off the main mission I'm on to go clean up all the sidequest stuff, which would be a bummer and I hope isn't the case.

e: i just realized i'm living the thread title with my fresh take on a 2017 title

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 26, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Save shotgun ammo for boss enemies like the loving technocubes and nightmares.
Squishy annoying things explode quickly from liberal application of the death ray gun. Wrench/pistol for easy stuff obviously.
The GLOO gun is a waste of time except to create stairways for vertical gameplay.
Do not dismiss the stun gun + wrench to the face combo, it's absurdly OP against medium threat baddies.

The only active skills I used are the human time slow/more damage thing and Psychoshock. Never had a problem.
If your missions actively involve Alex the end is nigh, yeah.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sauer kraut posted:

The GLOO gun is a waste of time except to create stairways for vertical gameplay.

Glooballs also make cystoid nests explode and give something for the cystoids to chase and kill themselves on. The nerf gun is also great for that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

sauer kraut posted:

Save shotgun ammo for boss enemies like the loving technocubes and nightmares.
Squishy annoying things explode quickly from liberal application of the death ray gun. Wrench/pistol for easy stuff obviously.
Do not dismiss the stun gun + wrench to the face combo, it's absurdly OP against medium threat baddies.

The only active skills I used are the human time slow/more damage thing and Psychoshock. Never had a problem.
If your missions actively involve Alex the end is nigh, yeah.

Yeah see, I put all my effort into the gloo and have totally ignored the stungun, resulting in a pretty default level version of it right now and like 500 charges from never using it. Damnit. I'm also 30 hours in and still no q beam gun despite having more ammo for it then anything else the entire game.

I think I'm going to just put a pause on where I am in the main objective and just go finish off whatever else I can. I'm maxed in hacks and lifting finally, so I feel like that should get me into any area at this point. I got a little cocky with a build that let me craft more mods until the game straight up cock blocks that, and I haven't resolved that, so I feel like starting there, then maxing stealth and combat out should put me in a better place to finish the game. I might just end up throwing objects at everything like I was trying to avoid cuz it's kinda boring and OP haha.

I love that in these Metroidvania/rpg fusion fps's I always somehow make the wrong choices without realizing it..never fails!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

git glud

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Are Dead Rising 3 or 4 worth sticking on a wishlist? I absolutely loved 1 and had a lot of fun with 2, but my understanding is that 3 & 4 largely move away from the optimization and time management in favor of more generic ubisoft-esque open world stuff?

Honestly, no. The entire series keep moving farther and farther away from the time management pressure that makes the first game such a memorable experience, the new protagonists keep getting less interesting (I'm counting 4's Frank West as a new character because he sure feels like a different person), and none of the new settings are nearly as interesting and well-designed as the Willamette mall.

3 is trivially easy (I got the best ending on the first attempt without any guides at all and without ever coming close to running out of time on a case) and driving around the city gets old pretty fast. The new protagonist is sufficiently boring that I don't even remember his name and backstory. The entire game's design ethos leans even more heavily into killing zombies with outlandish combo weapons, which was never really the draw for me and just makes it feel like another wacky zombie survival game. The plot also seems like it's determined to not have any fun with how ridiculous the situation is.

4 is awful. There's a stupid long post I could make on this, but the short form is that it just continues the march into generic zombie survival game. I'm not sure they understood that merely putting Frank West into a zombie-filled mall isn't actually what made the original game unique.

The DR1 remaster is, tragically, still the best DR release since the original. (DR2: OTR is a big ball of stupid, but it's also the fun kind of stupid and so is worth playing too if you want a different take on 2.)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The 2 q beams I know of are the one in the locked beam weapons lab in engineering, you'll have had to repair a blast door near the corpse with a keycard early game while spacewalking to get access.
Another one is in the outer space level and you can get it very early, but describing how to get there is :smith:

I just read your spoilers and if you're scanning coral after the greenhouse level was hosed up you are very near the end.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

At least with Dead Rising 3 there is Nightmare Mode which makes it more like 1&2. I would recommend getting it.

Honestly, don't bother with 4.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

sauer kraut posted:

The 2 q beams I know of are the one in the locked beam weapons lab in engineering, you'll have had to repair a blast door near the corpse with a keycard early game while spacewalking to get access.
Another one is in the outer space level and you can get it very early, but describing how to get there is :smith:

I just read your spoilers and if you're scanning coral after the greenhouse level was hosed up you are very near the end.

ha damnit, the way I've been playing is to try and just explore outward based on whatever the main mission location has me going. I was trying not to do anything too crazy early on in terms of traversing the map because I wasn't sure if this was a game that was good about artificially locking you out of places until you needed to be there in an organic progression kind of way, or a game that just didn't account for all the combinations of ways to sequence break and then i'd gently caress myself badly dozens of hours into the thing...

so basically i really didn't go explore the exterior at all and it sounds like thats how i missed an entire weapon after 30 hours of playing hahahaha. whatta game, chefs kiss forever

e: i also feel bad that i got this and the dlc for 8 bucks at some point in the last 2 years...this is one of the few aaa things that i totally think would have been worth the $60..what's arkane doing next?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 26, 2020

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bought Ace Combat 7. Can't believe it's been like 15 years since I last played one on the PS2.

The weather effects for flying through clouds are really neat too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

e: i also feel bad that i got this and the dlc for 8 bucks at some point in the last 2 years...this is one of the few aaa things that i totally think would have been worth the $60..what's arkane doing next?

Deathloop

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Away all Goats posted:

Bought Ace Combat 7. Can't believe it's been like 15 years since I last played one on the PS2.

It's a great game. Lotsa callbacks to the previous ones in there, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

It’s a great game. The DLC missions are crazy good, well worth picking up and playing when you’re done with the campaign.

I’m just annoyed they haven’t brought VR to PC now that the year of PSVR exclusivity is up. That poo poo was insane and I’d love to play it on better hardware.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://bethesda.net/en/game/deathloop

ok, 100% sold. basically dishonored and prey smashed together built on a groundhog day frame.

kinda sucks that's it's incredibly obvious things like this and whatever rocksteady will show next are being pushed into later release dates to match having a ps5/xbox4 release

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 26, 2020

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is it a roguelike or a real game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your face is a roguelike

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Xander77 posted:

You get 3 stars once your guide has 25 upvotes, 4 votes once your guide has 100 upvotes, 5 stars once it reaches 200. Downvotes probably counter-balance this in some way.

I appreciate it when people take the time to write guides for games they enjoy, so good job!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

zer0spunk posted:

https://bethesda.net/en/game/deathloop

ok, 100% sold. basically dishonored and prey smashed together built on a groundhog day frame.

Groundhog's Prey sounds like an amazing game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is it a roguelike or a real game?

"meticulously designed levels" implies a lack of procgen.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor posted:

Groundhog's Prey sounds like an amazing game.
That's basically Mooncrash, though. Not saying that is bad, but part of why Mooncrash worked is being small enough to not get old during the required five trips through the arena.
Not sure how it'd translate to a full-sized game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Steam finally added drive letters back to the “sort by size on disk” option! Hallelujah, I have three drives so this makes freeing up a big chunk on one of them so much easier.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

anilEhilated posted:

That's basically Mooncrash, though.

I had a lot of fun with mooncrash!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor posted:

I had a lot of fun with mooncrash!
Hell, got me while I was editing. So did I but I'm not sure this mechanic would work with a properly-sized game. Mooncrash's area is tiny compared to Prey.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 27, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Same.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember reading the Arcanum section on the Before I Play wiki. Later on I also checked some Steam guides and I found one which seemed to copy-paste the former. I was completely ready to be outraged!... but then I saw the author's name. I own the game on GOG instead of Steam, so I couldn't give it a thumbs up.

You also can't upvote and downvote when your account is not in good standing. Probably to prevent abuse.

PlushCow posted:

I appreciate it when people take the time to write guides for games they enjoy, so good job!
Thanks, but the point of that post was less "I'm a very cool person because I enjoy lecturing people", and more "steam has the dumbest UI decisions in ever-more-surprising ways".

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Classy Devil posted:

Honestly, no. The entire series keep moving farther and farther away from the time management pressure that makes the first game such a memorable experience, the new protagonists keep getting less interesting (I'm counting 4's Frank West as a new character because he sure feels like a different person), and none of the new settings are nearly as interesting and well-designed as the Willamette mall.

3 is trivially easy (I got the best ending on the first attempt without any guides at all and without ever coming close to running out of time on a case) and driving around the city gets old pretty fast. The new protagonist is sufficiently boring that I don't even remember his name and backstory. The entire game's design ethos leans even more heavily into killing zombies with outlandish combo weapons, which was never really the draw for me and just makes it feel like another wacky zombie survival game. The plot also seems like it's determined to not have any fun with how ridiculous the situation is.

4 is awful. There's a stupid long post I could make on this, but the short form is that it just continues the march into generic zombie survival game. I'm not sure they understood that merely putting Frank West into a zombie-filled mall isn't actually what made the original game unique.

The DR1 remaster is, tragically, still the best DR release since the original. (DR2: OTR is a big ball of stupid, but it's also the fun kind of stupid and so is worth playing too if you want a different take on 2.)

Hmm crud, thanks for the detailed review! It's weird to me how fast they lost the lead- DR1 was awesome, but even as early as 2 it felt like the team was focusing on the zombie action over survival horror.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm crud, thanks for the detailed review! It's weird to me how fast they lost the lead- DR1 was awesome, but even as early as 2 it felt like the team was focusing on the zombie action over survival horror.

I prefer 2 over 1 (though 2 was the first one I played), but after OTR I feel like they really lost what made the games fun. The combo weapons in 2 were really creative and a fun way to make scavenging rewarding. 3’s just felt goofy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Typhoid Mabel doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why is there a barcode on the back of her head?