Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Every illness is just a variation of the Coronavirus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The corona virus was designed to kill non-pedophiles, and released upon Epstein's death.

acid garfield
Jul 11, 2019

Mondays are certain,
suffering is optional.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1221515580001439745?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The corona virus was designed to kill non-pedophiles, and released upon Epstein's death.

after learning about epstein, the entire world had knowledge of information that would lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

they're still using that exact same picture that came out like 3 or 4 days ago

there apparently aren't any other pictures coming out of Wuhan lol

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

they're still using that exact same picture that came out like 3 or 4 days ago

there apparently aren't any other pictures coming out of Wuhan lol

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

coronavirus kills 99.9% of the world, jeffrey epstein returns as randall flagg, mark ruffalo is mother abigaile, the world cleaves betwixt paedos and non paedos, the final battle between good and evil

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

upgunned shitpost posted:

the underwear trick only works if you pee on them first

maybe that's for sarin though, I can't remember.

sarin absorbs through the skin

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
shut down the airports

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
trip report.

After finding no masks at the local target I figured Id go for a jaunt and just see how bad it is or if I just got unlucky.

visited 6 pharmacies in a 20 minute drive from my home. Only a single one had a single box of 20 masks left.

yes I bought it, I have infants at home.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/HKGTranslator/status/1221501402251505667?s=09

so inappropriate

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

trip report.

After finding no masks at the local target I figured Id go for a jaunt and just see how bad it is or if I just got unlucky.

visited 6 pharmacies in a 20 minute drive from my home. Only a single one had a single box of 20 masks left.

yes I bought it, I have infants at home.

Is it an n95 or n99 mask?

Also check home Depot and other hardware stores.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

coronavirus kills 99.9% of the world, jeffrey epstein returns as randall flagg, mark ruffalo is mother abigaile, the world cleaves betwixt paedos and non paedos, the final battle between good and evil

m-o-o-n that spells piss tape

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Pro-tip: you could probably use one of those pullover fishing sun protection masks from a sporting goods store

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i'll be sneezing directly into peoples mucus membranes, social contract is dead b*tch

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope I get to be the trash can man

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

i'll be sneezing directly into peoples mucus membranes, social contract is dead b*tch

are your dms open

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
aren't most of these masks for stopping a sick person from infecting other people instead of protection from sick people

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

aren't most of these masks for stopping a sick person from infecting other people instead of protection from sick people

they are effective at both

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mean the n99 and n95, sure, but how many people are wearing some sort of surgical mask thinking that it is protecting them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JessiePang0125/status/1221417401897684992?s=19

Not helping!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I mean the n99 and n95, sure, but how many people are wearing some sort of surgical mask thinking that it is protecting them

do the surgical masks not protect you from germs? thats what i always see people wear during flu season

also if the surgical masks dont block germs what exactly is the point of them

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Surgical masks help you from infecting other people

Hence the use in surgery by surgeons

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

imagine having a runny nose or having to sneeze during surgery

that is what the mask is for

so the drip drips don't get into the patient

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shear Modulus posted:

do the surgical masks not protect you from germs? thats what i always see people wear during flu season

It's to prevent surgeons from getting blood into their mouth and getting a taste for it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's to prevent surgeons from getting blood into their mouth and getting a taste for it.

this is now my head cannon

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

my mother called me when i was eating the buffet and we talked about things including the wuhan fish flu. she had just rewatched contagion the other day

umm

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220920013273608192

odds are looking higher of catching coronavirus at the mall where I'm going to work, having to quit my job only two months into it, and then accidentally killing everyone I know or love through my proximity

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Story time, a friend of mine lives in Wuhan. He was able to get a flight out last week to Hainan province where his wife was already staying with her family. He said things had been pretty uneventful, and that they had rented a place near a resort and had been staying in. Early this morning, he told me that someone at the security gate reported that people with Hubei license plates were staying at the condo. That's them. Landlord calls the police. Landlord tries to make them move into a hotel with quarantined people from Wuhan. They refuse as his wife is pregnant. The police don't make them leave, presumably because he's American. The property manager says they can stay but implies they need to keep quiet because he can't do anything about the neighbors if they find out. My friend is scared that if anyone realizes they are there that a mob will kick them out. Being from Wuhan is to be a pariah. Last he'd heard, there were five confirmed cases in the city he's in. He was surprised to hear that I had already seen a lot of the videos coming out of Wuhan hospitals. According to him, the feeling is that the city and provincial governments really screwed up, and now that the national government is involved that it will be ok. I don't feel that way.

Shits real y'all

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

this is like my fifth time havng to post this itt please stop people

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask#1

quote:

For many years, scientists weren't sure if wearing a mask was effective at preventing the spread of viruses. However, recent studies suggest that they can help.

First, a 2008 study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases concluded that when used correctly, masks are highly effective in preventing the spread of viral infections. Family members of children with flu-like illnesses who used the masks properly were 80 percent less likely to be diagnosed with the illness. Surprisingly, the difference between types of masks used was insignificant.

Another study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine reported similar results. Researchers looked at 400 people who had the flu. They found that family members reduced their risk of getting the flu by 70 percent when they washed their hands often and wore surgical masks.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i have some n95 masks from the last california death fire i guess ill use those if i need to if those are just as good

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is my flight in mid-February going to be canceled

or can i wear one of those bio-suits on it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is like my fifth time havng to post this itt please stop people

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask#1

Surprisingly, the difference between types of masks used was insignificant.

If the type of mask used was insignificant compared to just actually having a mask at all, then I think the actual effectiveness comes from the masks discouraging/preventing people from touching their faces/mouths/eyes.

So wearing the mask creates that physical barrier and constant reminder to be vigilant and to wash your hands once you get home and take off the mask

If you want to actually prevent inhaling the Wuhan coronavirus, you're gonna need a N95/N99 mask or something that can actually filter out something virus-sized

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

does anything that you're wearing on your person at your time matter when you're infected

I'd sort of rather have heavily-deformed mutant hands rather than have a chair I forgot to let go of as a fist forever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Apparently there are now 16 cases of the Wuhan virus in Vietnam, trying to find an official confirmation

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221525236509577216

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221526234028339204

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nCOV19/status/1221507196070002689

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I imagine the true size of the virus is basically the most ideal scenario whereas if a mask even filters out some particulate it reduces the intake=less actual virus in real terms meaning your natural immune response has easier time handling it but I'm just bullshiting

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

5th case now in Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

SKULL.GIF posted:

If the type of mask used was insignificant compared to just actually having a mask at all, then I think the actual effectiveness comes from the masks discouraging/preventing people from touching their faces/mouths/eyes.

So wearing the mask creates that physical barrier and constant reminder to be vigilant and to wash your hands once you get home and take off the mask

If you want to actually prevent inhaling the Wuhan coronavirus, you're gonna need a N95/N99 mask or something that can actually filter out something virus-sized

It's not virus sized, which are exceptionally tiny, it's the size of the water droplets that carry the virus. N95 is fine for that and filter both inhalation and exhalation. N100 and P100 masks have exhalation valves so they won't prevent you from spreading it by air.