Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
remember vcd?

remember svcd?

remember being pissed that almost everything that played vcd wouldn't play svcd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
almost the same thing happened in broadcast when DVB-T was implemented like the year before MPEG-4 became ubiquitous

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

remember vcd?

remember svcd?

remember being pissed that almost everything that played vcd wouldn't play svcd?

I remember ripping DVD's from the video store to SVCD because it was that weird time when everyone had a DVD reader but only a CD burner

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

remember vcd?

remember svcd?

DivX ;-)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
an ios device will never make a suitable laptop replacement

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nobody outside of asia does

i had never heard of it until dvd was released and it just so happened that my dvd player could play vcds as well

DIVX (aka digital video express) was the original timebombed, phone-home, drm-ed video disc pushed by circuit city. DivX ;-) the early mpeg-4 codec had nothing to do with it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A friend of mine had a Philips CD-i (anyone remember those?) with the vcd module and he had an official copy of The Mask on VCD. It was wild.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

A friend of mine had a Philips CD-i (anyone remember those?) with the vcd module and he had an official copy of The Mask on VCD. It was wild.

were those actual vcds? there were cd-i movies, but i thought they were proprietary

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it was actual White Book VCD with the logo and everything. You had to get a separate module for it that plugged into the back of the machine that did the MPEG decoding. Idk what video format CD-i discs were in but I suppose you could put movies on them?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I am experimenting with gmail, and, have been having about the same experience, mostly I am impressed, but I am left with a feeling that it just isn't mature enough yet as a mail client. Don't get me wrong of all the webmail clients I have used this is my favorite, but generally I miss Mutt.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

were those actual vcds? there were cd-i movies, but i thought they were proprietary

the only cd-i "movies" were vcds

the base cd-i systems couldn't play back mpeg-1

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ataris 8-bit computers were better than anything commodore had at the time. no I have not used a commodore.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it was a good era for computer flamewars, could pretty much cover the entire pro-con of the architecture in an efficient half-hour

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

present day we are reduced to going "lol intel" as the intricacies of speculation information leaks and the precise flaws in the role of the privileged embedded me minix flies over our heads.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my dad had a demo for Atari that was an Atari logo shooting an Apple logo to death

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the amiga was cool tho and it’s interesting how Atari and commode played musical chairs with engineering staff

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

spankmeister posted:

wow, i had an official copy of the mask on vcd as well. no cdi tho. the weird thing about my vcd version was how the movie was in 4:3, im guessing open matte, but the vfx shots were letterboxed 16:9 so you always knew when cgi was going to show up & what shots were done with practical effects

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SCSI will always remain superior to PATA and only stupid idiot poors would ever have a system that doesn't have it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
again, this isn’t the true statements thread, it’s the arguments thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that one needed no excuses, arguably true up until *ata got ncq

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sata is much more similar to scsi than ata in design

it's sas--, not ata++

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SRQ posted:

SCSI will always remain superior to PATA and only stupid idiot poors would ever have a system that doesn't have it.

No-one called it PATA. Heck, no-one does even now.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
something something ati

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Click >>>HERE<<< to download the ATi texture to replace the Nvidia "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" splash screen in UT2K4!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Click >>>HERE<<< to download the ATi texture to replace the Nvidia "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" splash screen in UT2K4!!!

not a goat man link

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I look forward to seeing what Perl 6 brings. However, I can't imagine it makes any improvements on the core reason I use Perl5. Perl puts no restrictions on how I program and I am able to get something running by myself faster than any other language.

I am an adult and when I am programming for my own enjoyment I don't want to be told how I have to program. I definitely don't want to have to worry about squeezing my design into some Object Oriented bullshit. I want to tabulate my code the way I feel best. If I want to enjoy some dynamic variable scoping so be it. Mix up some functional with some procedural go for it. Create some cryptic one liner that I won't understand later, live and learn.

Bonus points for still serving its original purpose stellarly. Give me some text and I will mold it to how I want. This is what a majority of commercial software does anyways.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

can you imagine how many antennas you'd need to cover the whole of the country with a cellular network?

it's obvious that launching a few dozen satellites is more efficient in the long run, and i'm sure progress in antenna technology will make the line-of-sight requirement disappear

sure, 499$ a month is a bit expensive but i'm sure the tech is going to get a LOT cheaper in the next couple of years! go iridium!

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 24, 2020

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

No-one called it PATA. Heck, no-one does even now.

I think about this a lot. the Atari 2600 and the Atari 8-bit computers weren’t called as such by their contemporaries

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It was IDE until SATA came along.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I call it PATA all the time, people seem to get that more than "IDE"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

It was IDE until SATA came along.

ide (and its protocol, pio) was a forerunner of ata

pata was what people started calling ata after the unrelated "sata" standard was published

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

For millennials sure we get "IDE" but I meet a lot of zoomers that only understand it as PATA in it's relativity to SATA

Integrated Drive Electronics means nothing for them because the fuckin' ST-214 is waaaay before their time.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
active matrix TFTs might refresh faster but the power consumption will always be too much for lead acid batteries.

also eink will be the way of the future and all computers will have paper white eink displays in the future in portrait mode

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ide (and its protocol, pio) was a forerunner of ata
Iknow that but I was talking about what people called it. Everybody just called it IDE regardless, I don't think anyone except horrible pedants insisted on calling it ATA.

Then when SATA came along it suddenly went from IDE to PATA, which is kinda weird imo.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

spankmeister posted:

Iknow that but I was talking about what people called it. Everybody just called it IDE regardless, I don't think anyone except horrible pedants insisted on calling it ATA.

Then when SATA came along it suddenly went from IDE to PATA, which is kinda weird imo.

I think most people who aren’t too into the specifics refer to computer parts by their connector because that tends to be the problem when your order cables. it’s not Ethernet it’s lc fiber or rj45, it’s not pata it’s ide, it’s not esata it’s garbage connector that nobody should use

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

pata pata pata pon

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The_Franz posted:

nobody outside of asia does

i had never heard of it until dvd was released and it just so happened that my dvd player could play vcds as well

DIVX (aka digital video express) was the original timebombed, phone-home, drm-ed video disc pushed by circuit city. DivX ;-) the early mpeg-4 codec had nothing to do with it

DivX ;-) specifically refers to 3.11, a bootlegged ms mpeg4 codec

DivX 4 and above were from scratch but not as good as the ms codec (retro argument), so you’d have dvd players that ‘licensed’ divx but be unable to play scene releases in 3.11

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PATA just reminds me of Pata Pata and Pata Pata.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
Parallel rear end To rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
commodity hardware will never beat lisp machines for running large lisp systems