Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

seems bad imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

So wearing the mask creates that physical barrier and constant reminder to be vigilant and to wash your hands once you get home and take off the mask

Yeah this seems more right, emphasizes the sick role and produces better behavior

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Awesome! I’m loving pumped!

Bought a bunch of face masks while they’re still available. Worst case with that, I save them for our next hellish fire.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1221528995419705344

possibly fish flu related?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

seems bad imo

3.6 had "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD" from that Harvard guy the other day

5.47 lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The impact of helicopter flu was severe

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SKULL.GIF posted:

3.6 had "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD" from that Harvard guy the other day

5.47 lol

number! :allears:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

quote:

The early outbreak data largely follows the exponential growth. We estimated that the mean R0 ranges from 3.30 (95%CI: 2.73-3.96) to 5.47 (95%CI: 4.16-7.10) associated with 0-fold to 2-fold increase in the reporting rate. With rising report rate, the mean R0 is likely to be below 5 but above 3. Conclusion: The mean estimate of R0 for the 2019-nCoV ranges from 3.30 (95%CI: 2.73-3.96) to 5.47 (95%CI: 4.16-7.10), and significantly larger than 1. Our findings indicate the potential of 2019-nCoV to cause outbreaks.

yeah i guess were pretty hosed! this is similar to smallpox. time to die granny

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah i guess were pretty hosed! this is similar to smallpox. time to die granny
baby boom turns into baby bust

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im hearing reports that kobe bryant ate sushi from a wuhan fish market before the crash. A tragedy.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao gently caress

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

welp

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
shut down the airports trumpo do it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

only comrade xi can save pawpaw now. bet you wish you hadnt made those Winnie the poo jokes now huh?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is biorxiv legit as far as research papers go

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

you could say he had a short life.
(sad, not funny etc..)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

a friend suggested playing pandemic legacy for the first time 2 weeks ago

guess we're playing whether we want to or not

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

reacting to the realization that fish flu is actually water transmissible because that's where fish live will edit post later describing how I reacted

e: I freaked the gently caress out I'm uninstalling all my faucets now gonna call the city later and have my water shut off gonna hydrate/shower/ect off of mountain dew from now on

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 26, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

everyone forgot about brexit, which is in 5 days lol

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

triple sulk posted:

is biorxiv legit as far as research papers go

Same as arxiv, it's a preprint repository. Authors put poo poo on it before publication in order to emphasize open science.

Await peer review, or read the paper yourself

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it's a good thing we've got new permadeath avs, very fortuitous timing

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Real brexit only happens a year later though.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

The UK about to loose a ton of doctors right before poo poo hits the fan. loving morons.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

what does the 5.47 number mean

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dammit and my one remaining grandparent is actually pretty cool

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1221535867992526849

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

what does the 5.35 number mean

r is an estimate of how many individuals each infected person will pass the disease onto

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

it means each sick person makes, on average, 5.35 more people sick

and then each of those 5.35 people makes another 5.35 people sick, on average, and so on

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Stairmaster posted:

r is an estimate of how many individuals each infected person will pass the disease onto

so if R0 was 5 and 2 people have it, that means they will pass it to 10?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

vyelkin posted:

it means each sick person makes, on average, 5.35 more people sick

and then each of those 5.35 people makes another 5.35 people sick, on average, and so on

on the bright side, number go up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gh0stpinballa posted:

Everyone that's infected will infect 5.35 other people on average, unless preventive measures are taken. Which means quarantines and poo poo need to operate at like 80% effectiveness just to have the disease not spread exponentially.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

for each person infected they infect approx 5 people. which means the disease goes from 1,000 people to 5,000 people to 25,000 people to 125,000 people to 635,000 people to 3,125,000 to 15,625,000 to 78,125,000 people to 390,625,000 people to 1.9 billion people to 9.75 billion people to 48 billion people to 244 billion people to 1.2 trillion people, etc.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is like my fifth time havng to post this itt please stop people

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask#1

Your site is healthline.com with the option to click here to buy masks now.

Going through those studies linked to it and others, there is a major problem I am having reading them. Mainly that the studies are having issues where people are not always using the masks and then have to reduce their sample size even further to just people who used the masks and then conclude their sample size isn't large enough.

Or other studies I find where they talk about laboratory conditions or only among health care professionals where they are also washing hands and doing everything else needed.

I found one math heavy study where they claimed that surgical masks wouldn't be significant on the population if it was an epidemic but I've found plenty more that don't say that.

The best part, they don't come from a site that says all masks work click here to buy now.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I don’t care if it makes me a conspiracy nut, I’m betting this is a population-control bioweapon. Someone in the Chinese govt. looked at the climate data, decided they didn’t want their kids and grandkids to live in underground vaults, and ‘accidentally’ released the Boomer Genocide virus.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

holy gently caress

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I don’t care if it makes me a conspiracy nut, I’m betting this is a population-control bioweapon. Someone in the Chinese govt. looked at the climate data, decided they didn’t want their kids and grandkids to live in underground vaults, and ‘accidentally’ released the Boomer Genocide virus.

the hero we deserve

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

Your site is healthline.com with the option to click here to buy masks now.

Going through those studies linked to it and others, there is a major problem I am having reading them. Mainly that the studies are having issues where people are not always using the masks and then have to reduce their sample size even further to just people who used the masks and then conclude their sample size isn't large enough.

Or other studies I find where they talk about laboratory conditions or only among health care professionals where they are also washing hands and doing everything else needed.

I found one math heavy study where they claimed that surgical masks wouldn't be significant on the population if it was an epidemic but I've found plenty more that don't say that.

The best part, they don't come from a site that says all masks work click here to buy now.

also check out my website infowars.com/forsythia.php for the best deals on the only known cure

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

eh there’s plenty of viruses that are happy to infect humans without one having to be built

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

also check out my website infowars.com/forsythia.php for the best deals on the only known cure

:thanks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

for each person infected they infect approx 5 people. which means the disease goes from 1,000 people to 5,000 people to 25,000 people to 125,000 people to 635,000 people to 3,125,000 to 15,625,000 to 78,125,000 people to 390,625,000 people to 1.9 billion people to 9.75 billion people to 48 billion people to 244 billion people to 1.2 trillion people, etc.

40 billion dead due to albert nobel's invention, coronavirus