Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Not really but I'm sure you can change the ownership of stuff via the f12 bug menu. Also you can shrink a towns area of influence via the fcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Welp

Came back to Kenshi after a while and seems raising toughness is still wonky. Started as slaves and after a few minutes of quality gameplay, my stickmanbro is at 72 toughness (and still has all limbs) :krakken:

e: Are there any great recent mods? Only big ones I use atm are Living World and Swish east coast.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 13, 2020

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Fewd posted:

Welp

Came back to Kenshi after a while and seems raising toughness is still wonky. Started as slaves and after a few minutes of quality gameplay, my stickmanbro is at 72 toughness (and still has all limbs) :krakken:

e: Are there any great recent mods? Only big ones I use atm are Living World and Swish east coast.

:stare:
Did you keep getting up from the knocked out state? Because otherwise only my top level characters ever get that kind of toughness

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

:stare:
Did you keep getting up from the knocked out state? Because otherwise only my top level characters ever get that kind of toughness

Yeah, stickmanbro has 1.2x toughness gain but I still think the "bug" went into overdrive there. He kept getting knocked out, playing dead, standing back up and falling back to ground before anyone even hit him.

My scorchlander didn't have even nearly that kind of toughness gains, he did more or less the same and he's only at 25 or something.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm looking for an interesting place to build my third base. First base I built south of Squinn and just west of the swamp, and built it up to needing the advanced research techs and kind of got bored with it. My second base was south of Eyebite in the stormgap coast, I liked this a lot because there was good farming but I got sick of the constant reaver raids and the micromanagement needed to effectively "sell slaves " for a mere 400 cats.

For this game, I took the freedom seeker start, went to Squinn, and bought a house to tech up. I have about a dozen dudes, one focusing on science, one on armor, and the rest are laborers / shek fighters. I have all the tech prior up to needing the advanced tech stuff, and was hoping to find a more interesting place where I don't have to worry about micromanaging a jail/slave market but still be able to grow my own food outside.

I travelled north thru holy nation territory with my scout and found the northern coast, seems very fertile but there are so many cannibals! Where would be some good locations that offer some challenges, while adding some interesting landscapes or factions ?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just a bit further North West is the Leviathan Coast. Great farming, some ore and no raiders.

There's a few beak things and it's a trek to trade though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"a few"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

They usually aggro the Leviathans and die, so their density in practice is really low.

Huge herds of herbivores as well, which also do a good job of wiping out any spawning beak things.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
In my game I hired willy-nilly and have a bunch of females and different races. This is proving tiresome in my Holy Empire base. I'm constantly having to wait and heal half my party from semi-regular inspections. Would it be better to keep things as they are or fire everyone but the acceptable ones? Either way, it's only until I can get powerful enough to wipe the holy nation from the earth.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just temporarily move if you're gonna kill the holy nation later. It's not like food is hard to get.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
So i tried out the slave start and got the best emergent story. I'm sneaking around unlocking slaves to level lockpicking and one of them breaks himself out and starts following me talking about escaping together. He doesn't join my squad or anything, he's literally just following me. I ignore him and the guards beat him down in the morning, whatever.
Next night I break out and start training sneak and the same dude comes sneaking up to join me, I mouse over him and his names Mahad and he's an old looking scorchlander with a big beard and really good attributes. His sneak must not be great tho cause the guards immediately start Benny hill chasing him in and out of frame, funny but whatever.
Next night he's back again, this time he sneaks into the house I'm in. I'm training thievery and when I inevitably wake the guards and jump back in my cage, they agro Mahad and battle him up the stairs and off camera. A severed arm comes flying down the stairs and a moment later the guards carry my dude off. Seeing as my second starter character was left to die with much less severe injures I figure rip Mahad.
Couple days later I'm all trained up and stage my escape, i sprint through the gate up top of the winding path and they start yelling about escape but don't chase me. I look back and there's Mahad, one arm, Kung fu fighting three guards at once. He must have followed me up without me noticing. There's nothing I can do but leave him. His intervention bought me a clean run out of rebirth.
I'd like to think he survived and I'd like to say that I'll go back and free him one day, but my last kenshi game taught me that probably neither of those things are true.

Tl;Dr this game owns

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I enjoyed that.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Unfortunately he will be gone whenever you come back. Pretty sure all NPCs loo Ike that disappear after you leave the chunk or whatever.

Good story tho

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Yeah I kinda figured, remembering and simulating every npc you saw forever in a game this size aint gonna happen. I dont even know how I could get an npc out of rebirth without an army. Knock them out and carry them, I guess.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Yeah I kinda figured, remembering and simulating every npc you saw forever in a game this size aint gonna happen. I dont even know how I could get an npc out of rebirth without an army. Knock them out and carry them, I guess.

Start a riot by freeing a bunch of prisoners and book it while the guards are occupied. Worked for me. If you want a specific NPC, I dunno.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Usually, Kenshi does preserve named NPCs, so the guy is very likely to still be there if you ever go back. If he has a name, he's not just a nameless rando who disappears the moment you look away, even if the game did randomly generate him.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Now I wanna find out, if our stealth is high enough can a female scorchlander or a male cannibal pass as holy nation in 100% disguise?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As I recall, disguises work against allies of the faction you’re disguised as but not against the emulated faction.

I don’t believe stealth comes into play.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
It works on the actual faction, there's just a penalty. Wiki says its - 40%, whatever that means. The stealth skill says it determines discovery chance so I presume that's the way around it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

It works on the actual faction, there's just a penalty. Wiki says its - 40%, whatever that means. The stealth skill says it determines discovery chance so I presume that's the way around it.
No, it really doesn't. If you use a faction's armor, they'll always recognise you and probably attack you for it. I've never seen that work out any other way. You have to get armor from someone the faction is not hostile to.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

No, it really doesn't. If you use a faction's armor, they'll always recognise you and probably attack you for it. I've never seen that work out any other way. You have to get armor from someone the faction is not hostile to.

Well if you need a 100% disguise to avoid detection then - 40% is always gonna get you recognized below a set stealth skill.

I'd assume that's not how it works tho, my guess is it runs a check of 60% + or - however the stealth skill modifier works on each faction npc that sees you. If it takes the stealth modifier on the gear into account it might be impossible to avoid detection for long in heavy armor, but easier to pass as a ninja. That seems broken so I'd hope that's not the case. Gonna have to test it out.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Man I kinda want lofi to Port kenshi 1 to unreal before finishing 2. If only because I feel like, given Kenshis Dev time, kenshi 2 is like 5 years off.

So basically I am cool with kenshi 1 and selfishly want it updated because it'll probably take a lot less time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They are going to be backporting some features, like the improved custom pathfinding AI (they're using some middleware at the moment). Hopefully they'll touch up the FCS to help expand modding a little bit in the meantime too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Kenshi 1 is fine as is and I'd rather he focused on the next game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah porting the same assets and animations into a different engine isn't going to make the existing game play any different :confused:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah porting the same assets and animations into a different engine isn't going to make the existing game play any different :confused:

Fixing the pathfinding and making it not crash would make it a significantly better game, IMO. That said I think I've extracted all the fun I can from Kenshi and want a new game

Ganglor
Apr 18, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

That said I think I've extracted all the fun I can from Kenshi and want a new game

I keep thinking that but then a couple of months later I'll fire it up again with some slightly different idea of how I'll play that still always involves Beep.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Ganglor posted:

I keep thinking that but then a couple of months later I'll fire it up again with some slightly different idea of how I'll play that still always involves Beep.

Rain man on YouTube just started playing kenshi again for the first time in a while with a massive mod package and sure enough I am feinding for that kenshi jank again... I think I am going to find a mod that reduces or replaces beak things though, had enough of those bitches

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Baka things is right there

E: also, this is coming. Not beak thing related. The new world feel could be interesting

https://youtu.be/LmYX78rn9vA

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 25, 2020

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

Baka things is right there

baka things killed more of my dudes than beak things ever did. motherfuckers are terrifying

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Did you try obliging their request for headpats?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

Did you try obliging their request for headpats?

I tried, oh how I tried. actually i had moderate success adopting baka things and the giant gorilla guy in that one tower but my dudes would still get wrecked by continuous battles featuring multiple roaming packs of 5-10 feral baka things. I remember one time I was trading with the nearby bug village, wanted some cheap cyber legs, came back and found the entire village under attack from about 30 bakas. my entire army of dudes joined the bug guys but we lost that battle decisively, and we did so many head pats. the baka things most likely went on to conquer the entire continent

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

WU TANG KILLA BEE WE THE SWARM

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've got two quick beginner-rear end questions if you folks don't mind:

1) Where's a fun place to start a town? I'm kinda sick of Stack/Squin and thereabouts, and don't want to deal with the holy empire's BS. (Note, I mean 'fun' as in 'Has everything I need and looks neat', not as in 'Oh my god, cannibal clowns are breaking down my walls before I can even build them and eating my face from the inside out, why would they do that.')

2) What's a good generic team composition for my main run around the world and explore/murder things squad? I'm thinking maybe 4-6 katana/polearm guys, 1-2 heavy weapons, then a handful of archers?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Katanas really suck later on since they don’t get through armor very well, so maybe go Sabre’s I’d you’re low strength.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'll actually prolly be absurdly high-strength, since I wanna focus on labor/industry and mainly use my badass guys as defense and to help out with any combat that my absurdly badass solo adventurer lady can't do by herself. (I'm assuming all heavy weapons is a terrible idea because of the slow startup + wide AoE, and like ten martial artists would be hilariously painful to train and still not as effective as weapon boys?)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With good enough stats, all Heavy is actually excellent. But you need high stats.

Hackers are another excellent weapon category.

Martial Artists are incredibly painful to use until they become badass enough to suddenly turn into Bruce Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay... what's the difference between hackers and heavy? I honestly didn't see much of a difference when I was throwing my main adventurer against beak things, the heavy weapons tended to chop them down faster but they both seemed pretty okay.

Also yeah, if I don't want to go the punching bag slave route, is there a decent way to train martial arts? I've gotten my main guy someone in the mid 50s by kiting enemies one at a time while wearing tons of skill-reducing gear to keep the point gain high, but even in the mid 50s she can't handle crowds for crap unless I whip out a weapon.