Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The more you try to dig into the lore of Mad Max, the farther from the spirit of Mad Max you are headed. It's just "post-apocalyptic" but in chrome-y WordArt, all lower-case. Don't think, just drive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Grand Gigas posted:

The ending of the Mad Max game was shattering. :(

That which is broken can be mended by love only.

Unless you're Chumbucket. Then you're just a hood ornament on Yet Another Mad Max Car Wreck

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hel posted:

Maybe not salt flats but aren't there are places in the world with lots of shipwrecks in the middle of the desert because the rivers and lakes dried out.

You may be thinking of the Aral Sea:

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

Caufman posted:

That which is broken can be mended by love only.

Unless you're Chumbucket. Then you're just a hood ornament on Yet Another Mad Max Car Wreck

My boy got done so dirty. Loved that helpful little man.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He's with the :angel: :piss: now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would absolutely believe that some mad bastard would haul a derelict cargo ship into the middle of the outback just for the sake of doing it.
George Miller's Fitzcarraldo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Caufman posted:

He's with the :angel: :piss: now.
Oh no, I'm sad no Mad Max have referenced this now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

You may be thinking of the Aral Sea:

That's it, it's really kinda cool in a very depressing way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In any other game, this would be a bad thing.

But Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, somewhere around twenty hours in, gives you a mandatory driving minigame tutorial. Because finally, someone making a Dragon Ball game remembers the best episode of Dragon Ball.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

But Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, somewhere around twenty hours in, gives you a mandatory driving minigame tutorial. Because finally, someone making a Dragon Ball game remembers the best episode of Dragon Ball.
Does it include the old lady telling Piccolo to drive faster cause she was the best part

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cleretic posted:

thank the lord, goddamn

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

That was probably one of, if not the only time a filler episode was good, and something I'm honestly surprised never came up in the manga, because "Goku and Picollo try to do normal things like normal people" seems like a giant well of comedy to draw from.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The nuclear war that destroyed heaven and hell in Russia also boiled off the oceans around Australia while creating a fuckload of mutants in America. Africa's doing great though!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The story mode in Injustice 2 is weirdly good for either a fighting game or a superhero game, the fact that it exists in a fighting game about superheroes is some kind of insane anomaly.

Not that this is a high bar to clear but it's easily better and more engaging than any DC movie from the last ten years. I think the fact that it starts with everyone kind of picking up the pieces from Injustice, giving a lot of the characters new allegiances and genuine reasons to distrust or dislike each other, goes a long way toward making a cool and relatable story as opposed to "the bat guy is angry at the red underwear guy so they punch each other."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

food court bailiff posted:

The story mode in Injustice 2 is weirdly good for either a fighting game or a superhero game, the fact that it exists in a fighting game about superheroes is some kind of insane anomaly.

Not that this is a high bar to clear but it's easily better and more engaging than any DC movie from the last ten years. I think the fact that it starts with everyone kind of picking up the pieces from Injustice, giving a lot of the characters new allegiances and genuine reasons to distrust or dislike each other, goes a long way toward making a cool and relatable story as opposed to "the bat guy is angry at the red underwear guy so they punch each other."

The comics are mostly good too, until Taylor leaves. Way way better than a video game tie in comic should be

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Check out MK11's story mode, it's nuts. Everybody's cracking wise, making up with old enemies and introducing love and tolerance to the realms - but they also didn't tone down the spine-ripping at all. It's the Felix the Cat of Marvel movies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NRS has generally done a good job with their story modes from MK9 onward, at least as far as fighting games go.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Helps that Injustice was also co-written by DC.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah Injustice 1 was surprisingly fun for someone that hasn't really played a fighting game story since Soul Calibur 3. The ridiculously over the top special moves were great fun and it felt less mean spirited than Mortal Kombat. I haven't gotten far into the second one but am looking forward to even more crazy alternate universe shenanigans!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ruffian Price posted:

Check out MK11's story mode, it's nuts. Everybody's cracking wise, making up with old enemies and introducing love and tolerance to the realms - but they also didn't tone down the spine-ripping at all. It's the Felix the Cat of Marvel movies.

What's the deal with Felix the Cat?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

NRS has generally done a good job with their story modes from MK9 onward, at least as far as fighting games go.

Normally time travel stuff sucks in storylines, but it was so perfectly used in 9 to throw out all the dumb poo poo no one liked, bring back familiar plot beats people did like, and have :tviv: moments when things don’t go how you remember and major characters bite it unexpectedly. 11 used time weirdness really well, too like when someone is losing a fight against Present Kano and someone just kills Past Kano and poof, no more Present Kano. NRS makes a drat good story mode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

What's the deal with Felix the Cat?

they might have meant Fritz

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lmao yes I meant Fritz

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A cute thing in Just Cause, the woman working with you is reading a book called "Regime Change in 7 Easy Steps". A better joke than all of GTA's tryhard bullshit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I still chuckle at the stupid poo poo like BIGGEST COCK IN THE WORLD in San Andreas along with the constant 69s everywhere

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was put off San Andreas, as I tried it again a few weeks ago and realised it wasn't just Sweet I hated. Ryder is ludicrously obnoxious and Big Smoke sucks even before he becomes the final boss (or something, I think there is apparently a subplot where he goes from dealing marijuana to cocaine)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I always found Ryder amusing but Sweet is complete poo poo yeah.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

A cute thing in Just Cause, the woman working with you is reading a book called "Regime Change in 7 Easy Steps". A better joke than all of GTA's tryhard bullshit.

I'm pretty sad that they changed the grappling hook and stunt position stuff in the sequels, being able to reel in and out the line when paragliding was way better than just zipping. And while climbing around on the car is cool I really miss being able to still control the car from the stunt position. They should have iterated on the things they had rather than change them completely.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I liked firing the two pistols in Just Cause. Something about it was very satisfying and ‘chunky’.

Also paragliding behind cars (that due to the off-kilter AI would sometimes just park. Then the bonnet/hood would fall off. Then the driver would step out, keel over and die :pwn:)

Also JC4: I’m sure Sheldon made some kind of joke referencing Rico’s look in the first game. Something about ‘Slick Elvia’?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hel posted:

I'm pretty sad that they changed the grappling hook and stunt position stuff in the sequels, being able to reel in and out the line when paragliding was way better than just zipping. And while climbing around on the car is cool I really miss being able to still control the car from the stunt position. They should have iterated on the things they had rather than change them completely.

Sure, but I'll take those things over having to swap to the grappling hook as a weapon to use it.

And the jetpack in 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Aggelos on the Switch because I don't have many switch games and it looked cute and it's got a lot of charm to it. Especially given how open the world is for exploration, I was able to get a really powerful sword really early on which took care of the first boss in a tiny amount of time (after me struggling against it with the second sword). The second dungeon is proving a lot harder though, although I can ignore most of it now that the boss door is open.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just decided to try out Black Mesa again now that it's finally finished. It's been long enough that I forgot some of the intro details, the one teaching you to pick up and throw stuff is pretty great compared to the famous "PICK UP THAT CAN, CITIZEN" in HL2: one of the scientists is having a toilet paper crisis in the bathroom, and your job is to pick up a new roll and toss it into the stall :haw:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dragon Quest Builders 2:

I love the room system. You build a room, add some stuff, and it gets named after what is in it and makes everybody happy. Rooms don't need to have a roof, so I can technically build a room on top of a house by using wooden fences around the outside, so I have an upstairs patio which is just cute as hell.

So I finished the first big task of the first island, got a solid five hours of playtime just from that alone and exploring, I go to save my game and hit the title screen: I forgot that I didn't buy this game.

I'm still playing the loving demo.

:stonk:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2:

I love the room system. You build a room, add some stuff, and it gets named after what is in it and makes everybody happy. Rooms don't need to have a roof, so I can technically build a room on top of a house by using wooden fences around the outside, so I have an upstairs patio which is just cute as hell.

So I finished the first big task of the first island, got a solid five hours of playtime just from that alone and exploring, I go to save my game and hit the title screen: I forgot that I didn't buy this game.

I'm still playing the loving demo.

:stonk:

The original demo was real short but yeah, it’s crazy. The Dragon Quest XI Switch demo was insanely long too, I got almost 11 hours out of it before it ended. They must have been happy with the sales and decided to try it with Builders 2 as well, hopefully it catches on and other companies start doing it too

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm having a ton of raw fun with Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. The Adventure Mode stuff is varied enough that I'm enjoying using some of the off the wall characters, like Agitha or Skull Kid. The only character I'm not crazy about using is Wizzro, but considering all the options I've got, I'm fine with disliking one character.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Skull Kid was my go to choice. Dude gets a room-sweeping laser and some crazy sing-target. Some of his stuff is finicky to control, but he's pretty freaking strong and great to use against most of the good characters.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The original demo was real short but yeah, it’s crazy. The Dragon Quest XI Switch demo was insanely long too, I got almost 11 hours out of it before it ended. They must have been happy with the sales and decided to try it with Builders 2 as well, hopefully it catches on and other companies start doing it too

The crazy thing is at this point, I'm just gonna buy the game. I could continue to skate by, but the game is crop management a la Stardew Valley and, after I discovered it has a first person mode, now it's also minecraft. It is ticking every cell in my brain that produces dopamine. Clear structured goals that let me just build whatever the hell I want. Unless the Disco Elysium people make another game that releases this year, somehow, and they knock it out of the park as good as DE I already have my GOTY 2020.

AND THERE'S A DOG FRIEND

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of love packed into Hyrule Warriors. I just unlocked Twili Midna and a lot of her animations are references to things Imp Midna does with her hair, like snapping her fingers when her magic ends or winding back for a big punch when she gets a guard break. She also hums the Twilight Princess victory music after beating a stage, which is cute.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leavemywife posted:

I'm having a ton of raw fun with Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. The Adventure Mode stuff is varied enough that I'm enjoying using some of the off the wall characters, like Agitha or Skull Kid. The only character I'm not crazy about using is Wizzro, but considering all the options I've got, I'm fine with disliking one character.

The one I really didn't like was Zant. Because while I'm very aware that he's good, his strong attacks aren't intuitively laid out for me, and I'll inevitably not use the move that I know he has and just be locked into a long animation for ages. But again, it's not really a big deal when there's so many other good characters.

On the flipside, while I liked Agitha I had a lot of trouble with missions where I needed her for bonuses, because somehow her AoE damage is higher than her focused target damage. The way to ensure I killed a single target before anyone else, paradoxically, was to not target them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

The crazy thing is at this point, I'm just gonna buy the game. I could continue to skate by, but the game is crop management a la Stardew Valley and, after I discovered it has a first person mode, now it's also minecraft. It is ticking every cell in my brain that produces dopamine. Clear structured goals that let me just build whatever the hell I want. Unless the Disco Elysium people make another game that releases this year, somehow, and they knock it out of the park as good as DE I already have my GOTY 2020.

AND THERE'S A DOG FRIEND
gently caress, I should probably crack Builders 1, huh.