Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
pretty much every local indie has one tall guy who does the "step over the ropes" entrance even if they have to loosen the gently caress out of the ropes to allow him to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I know a friend who's maybe 6'1" max who does it but the top rope at this fed is like a good 6 inches lower than average and the top rope is always pretty loose.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

anakha posted:

Yoshihiro Takayama might be the right answer here. I remember watching him stretch to step over the top rope in NOAH. He's also listed as 2cm shorter than JBL.

I looked this dude up and it said he's 6'5". Do Japanese promotions pad height and weight as much as Western promotions? I don't think JBL is really 6'5". I saw Batista IRL and I'd guess he's really 6'4" or 6'5"*, and I think he's bigger than JBL

*I am referring, of course, to penis size

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think JBL was a legit 6’4” in his football days

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Son of Man posted:

I looked this dude up and it said he's 6'5". Do Japanese promotions pad height and weight as much as Western promotions? I don't think JBL is really 6'5". I saw Batista IRL and I'd guess he's really 6'4" or 6'5"*, and I think he's bigger than JBL

Takayama's listed MMA height is also 6'5" so I'd assume it's legit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This question is a bit more niche but for fans of F4WOnline, how were Bryan, Vinny or Craig as wrestlers? What about this Buddy Wayne? I've never watched Indie stuff but I am going through their Retro shows and I just got the one that was mostly a Buddy Wayne tribute from 3 years ago when he passed away and it moved me enough to want to look up his matches with Bryan.

I think it must be Wayne in some of the matches I found on YT but they were 2 minute squashes where Edge and Bam Bam killed him without him really doing anything. Then again, if listening to F4W has taught me anything, a wrestler managing to not gently caress anything up aka "doing nothing" is a rare talent.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan was and is still a very solid if unspectacular wrestler. I think Vinnie would be the first to admit he mostly sucked. I have no idea about Craig but I can’t imagine he was ever any good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I seem to remember Buddy being good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Buddy seems like he was real good from what I’ve seen of him. Definitely a victim of being around before small guys made it in WWE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

This question is a bit more niche but for fans of F4WOnline, how were Bryan, Vinny or Craig as wrestlers? What about this Buddy Wayne? I've never watched Indie stuff but I am going through their Retro shows and I just got the one that was mostly a Buddy Wayne tribute from 3 years ago when he passed away and it moved me enough to want to look up his matches with Bryan.

I think it must be Wayne in some of the matches I found on YT but they were 2 minute squashes where Edge and Bam Bam killed him without him really doing anything. Then again, if listening to F4W has taught me anything, a wrestler managing to not gently caress anything up aka "doing nothing" is a rare talent.

Buddy Wayne was good in the sense say a Brad Armstrong was good. You aren't going to find a lot of great matches but he was rarely in that position. Buddy especially was someone booked in the second match on the card and would have a really good second match on the card. He was very well regarded in the industry.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

bryan carried marko stunt to perfectlyfineindiemidcardmatch/***** fairly recently

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What are notable Rumble examples of a jobber/lower midcarder eliminating a big star.

Maven & Undertaker, anything else?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kennel posted:

What are notable Rumble examples of a jobber/lower midcarder eliminating a big star.

Maven & Undertaker, anything else?

R-Truth threw out Mark Henry and Big Show at the same time once, if that counts. He didn't really have anything going on at the time and it was over a year before he got his big heel push.

Test threw out Jericho back when Jericho had a big feud with Michaels going on and Test's whole thing was Stacy Kiebler calling his fans "Testicles."

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

All the talented PNW wrestlers for a while were Buddy Wayne's students.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

TTBF posted:

All the talented PNW wrestlers for a while were Buddy Wayne's students.

It took me reading this page and being very confused for a few minutes to realize there's more than one dead wrestler named Buddy Wayne, and everyone here's old enough to remember one of them, and I'm thinking of the other.

---

Last week I watched Raw for the first time in months (I was on the road, sue me. I'll watch again next Monday). Stupid assed cuck angle aside, when did Lana and Rusev drop their Eastern European accents?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think Darby Allin mentioned on the Jericho podcast that he was trained by (or at least one of his trainers was) Buddy Wayne as well?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were super hard chairshots or other weapon shots to the head a product of the 90s or have they always been a problem in wrestling?

Still going through Retro shows and they note how Sgt. Slaughter, an old school vet, did the softest chairshot imaginable while everyone else on this '98 Raw was trying to kill each other with chairs, swinging as hard as they possibly could.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Were super hard chairshots or other weapon shots to the head a product of the 90s or have they always been a problem in wrestling?

Still going through Retro shows and they note how Sgt. Slaughter, an old school vet, did the softest chairshot imaginable while everyone else on this '98 Raw was trying to kill each other with chairs, swinging as hard as they possibly could.

Mostly a product of the 90s, the older wrestlers didn't take near as many direct head shots like that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I remember it being a big deal when Slaughter used a (padded) chair against Hogan at Wrestlemania VII and that was '91.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a good chance they originated with wrestlers seeing Japanese chairshots where the seat pops out when you hit someone square in the head. It looks very cool. American chairs don't do that though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The first hard chair shot I remember seeing was Rock scrambling what was left of Ken Shamrock's brains after Ken literally dared him to

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I imagine it was because when you hit someone in the head really hard with the wide top part of the chair, it produced a really loud clean POP noise that only CTE hits could offer

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Did anyone who wasn't Meng ever get hit with a wooden chair?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Moe_Rahn posted:

Did anyone who wasn't Meng ever get hit with a wooden chair?

Big Bubba Rogers, which was the angle they were ripping off when they did it to Meng.

edit: also a wooden chair factored into the finish of the Magnum TA/Tully I Quit match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Cornette tell a story about that, where they were supposed to weaken the chair but forgot?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Cornette tell a story about that, where they were supposed to weaken the chair but forgot?

Yeah, Klondike Bill forgot to gimmick the chair so Dusty broke a legit one over Bubba's head and it didn't even knock his hat off.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Where do wrestlers get their ring gear? I’d assume big promotions like WWE have a costuming department, but what about indies and the like?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Where do wrestlers get their ring gear? I’d assume big promotions like WWE have a costuming department, but what about indies and the like?

People make and sell them, or if wrestlers are enterprising they make their gear themselves. Colt Cabana taught himself to sew so he could make his own ring gear.

Before being hired by AEW to make their costumes Denise Cutler (Brandon's wife) made a living making wrestling gear and cosplay costumes.

Plus a lot of the basic gear can just be bought. Highspots, for example, sells off the peg or custom wrestling gear http://www.highspots.com/c/Wrestling-Gear.html

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Sasha Bank's husband makes wrestling gear I think.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think it was Royal Rumble '94 where they were using these chairs like they stole them from a school.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those were the most produced chairs of 1988 through 1992. most likely got them for nothing or next to nothing to clear out space.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think it was Royal Rumble '94 where they were using these chairs like they stole them from a school.

God, I can still feel that cold hard plastic on my back from sitting on them at school.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Sasha Bank's husband makes wrestling gear I think.

He was a wrestler who made his own gear, then friends asked him to make their gear, and then their friends, etc. He ended up with so much business making gear he didn't have time to keep up with his training, so he quit wrestling to just make gear fulltime.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody explain to me how Kota Ibushi was able to punch Okada square in the jaw with those amazing looking punches which were obviously worked (right?). I've never seen such realistic strikes and they were copied in the Tyler Bate/Jordan Devlin match in NXT UK. It's one of the most effectively worked "moves" I've ever seen.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Can anybody explain to me how Kota Ibushi was able to punch Okada square in the jaw with those amazing looking punches which were obviously worked (right?). I've never seen such realistic strikes and they were copied in the Tyler Bate/Jordan Devlin match in NXT UK. It's one of the most effectively worked "moves" I've ever seen.

Ask Terry Funk.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

I think the magic of it is in the sell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
With the Ibushi ones, it's definitely the Funk method. He's just fuckin' hitting him.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Those punches looked crisp and stiff to me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So wouldn't that leave Okada with like, bruises and poo poo? They looked very real, but how does Okada appear the next night not looking like he'd been punched in the face for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not pulled like most wrestling punches, but they're not throwing like a boxer either.