Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
The thing I find most interesting about Stain is that despite wanting to change heroes to be more altruistic he either couldn't or refused to comprehend that someone he deems a "fake hero" could actually change. When Iida picked himself up and acknowledged his failings while promising to better himself, Stain basically said "No, you can't. Just shut up and die". He got exactly what he wanted and yet he still refused to believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Stain fails to realize that the real villain is capitalism.

it's this

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

jng2058 posted:

That's the thing....even the "jerk" heroes are still risking their lives for the greater good. Take Mount Lady, who we see is a greedy, fame-seeking, selfish hero who steals credit from Kamui Wood, shakes her rear end to get attention, and fights with Midnight on TV over who's the sexiest hero. She ought to be the exemplar of what's wrong with hero culture in Stain's eyes. But when the chips were down she intentionally sacrificed herself to help save Bakugo from the League of Villains, even knowing that (as far as she knew) they'd already killed Best Jeanist and could easily kill her too for interfering.

Mount Lady is also trying to become famous as quick as possible so she can pay back the agency that covers the cost of the colateral damage she causes heroing and to help fund the charity who helps people like her who have variable body shapes.

Nessus posted:

Ultimately Stain seems to object to the branding as much as anything, which is dismayingly realistic.

Which is of course why he idolizes All-Might, guy with most prolific branding of any hero in the series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Alfredo Jones posted:

The thing I find most interesting about Stain is that despite wanting to change heroes to be more altruistic he either couldn't or refused to comprehend that someone he deems a "fake hero" could actually change. When Iida picked himself up and acknowledged his failings while promising to better himself, Stain basically said "No, you can't. Just shut up and die". He got exactly what he wanted and yet he still refused to believe it.
His words were something like "Someone's true nature can't change so easily."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

His words were something like "Someone's true nature can't change so easily."

Which is why it was so important that Todoroki showing up was when he lost. Shoto's living proof that, in the words of the man who won the cold war, “If I can change and you can change, everybody can change."

Good shonen fights are often as much about philosophy as fisticuffs, and the Stain fight is a textbook example. Disproving a dude's beliefs is more important than breaking his bones, but when you can do both in the same actions? That's how you make good punchman shows.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
The "PREVIOUSLY, ON X-MEN" recap going from freshly-maimed Overhaul screaming in agony to the peppy new OP was some hilarious tonal whiplash.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The two recurring themes in either of the MHA threads:

"Wow Endeavour sucks"

"So what was Stain's deal anyway?"

For what it's worth Stain had something of a point but it was entirely lost in his bloodlust (almost literally) and extremism.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
So Dabi is absolutely going to be Todoroki's older brother, right? "Oops instead of getting red fire and blue ice this kid got blue fire better massively abuse him until he runs away and becomes a serial killer who agrees with Stain."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fool of sound posted:

So Dabi is absolutely going to be Todoroki's older brother, right? "Oops instead of getting red fire and blue ice this kid got blue fire better massively abuse him until he runs away and becomes a serial killer who agrees with Stain."

same eye color, similar quirk, he notably did not have his actual name mentioned during all might's pizza delivery

the burns strongly imply that, since he didn't have shouto's temperature regulation abilities, endeavor pushed him so hard that he spontaneously combusted

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I for one can’t wait for the bullshit reason why they can’t rewind all might to 100%

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Inverse posted:

I for one can’t wait for the bullshit reason why they can’t rewind all might to 100%

They already gave one an episode ago about how she's a kid and you shouldn't really put emotional pressure on her to "save this person's life" or "fix the #1 Hero" etc etc.

Also her quirk isn't just rewinding time like time travel - it can also rewind genes like some sort of genetic version control and make someone quirkless (hence the bullets) and that is very not good given she hasn't got a fast-forward quirk.

In summary - maybe one day Eri can be magical healing girl who undoes your wounds! But not right now!

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Conot posted:

They already gave one an episode ago about how she's a kid and you shouldn't really put emotional pressure on her to "save this person's life" or "fix the #1 Hero" etc etc.

Also her quirk isn't just rewinding time like time travel - it can also rewind genes like some sort of genetic version control and make someone quirkless (hence the bullets) and that is very not good given she hasn't got a fast-forward quirk.

In summary - maybe one day Eri can be magical healing girl who undoes your wounds! But not right now!

Yea I meant later down the road.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A Bug posted:

The "PREVIOUSLY, ON X-MEN" recap going from freshly-maimed Overhaul screaming in agony to the peppy new OP was some hilarious tonal whiplash.

I dunno, seeing a child abuser get ruined sure put me in an upbeat mood.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Inverse posted:

Because Deku would then lose the quirk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does databook info count as spoilers for this thread?

In an effort to console me and my Overhaul fandom, I was informed of what the latest MHA databook said for Chisaki: that his arms were "treated" and his quirk "remodeled/reconstructed"

https://oriigami.tumblr.com/post/188927708463/ultra-analysis-overhaul

This thumblr person has the right idea. Maybe he was not a one-and-done fella. Overhaul has not yet begun to fight!

I mean, he probably is done, but canon says there is hope and if that hope only exists in my heart and fanfiction, I'll take it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Not to derail the conversation but has anyone here speculated on what exactly the League will do with the Quirk destroying bullets? They only have a few so it must be a very targeted, specific thing.

I wonder if the bullets work on All For One? Would one negate his proper Quirk, just one of his stolen Quirks, all of them at once?

'Cuz I don't se Tomura being AfO's lackey forever. Could use one of those bullets on him at some future date.

One of them has gotta be for Eraserhead surely. There’s the delicious irony of Eraserhead’s quirk being erased, and frankly he’s a good target anyway given his quirk is such a game changer in a fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe i'm missing something but all that seems to say is he survived the attack but his arms and quirk are still gone.

He's done.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Does databook info count as spoilers for this thread?

In an effort to console me and my Overhaul fandom, I was informed of what the latest MHA databook said for Chisaki: that his arms were "treated" and his quirk "remodeled/reconstructed"

https://oriigami.tumblr.com/post/188927708463/ultra-analysis-overhaul

This thumblr person has the right idea. Maybe he was not a one-and-done fella. Overhaul has not yet begun to fight!

I mean, he probably is done, but canon says there is hope and if that hope only exists in my heart and fanfiction, I'll take it.

Why do you want more of him?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Why do you want more of him?

Because he's my favorite main villain so far apart from All for One.. I like his design and voice and motivations and powerset. I think I mentioned here that MHA is sort of like X-Men but it's the one good future where everyone accepted Mutants and Mutantkind did overtake normal humans. Then here comes Overhaul, a "mutant" who detests his own kind and wants them wiped out. I find that interesting, too.

I've just been rather unimpressed with the League so far. Apart from Muscular, they can barely fight. Remember when all five of them couldn't defeat or capture Bakugo? They haven't really improved since then. In fact, they got worse, Magne is dead.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe i'm missing something but all that seems to say is he survived the attack but his arms and quirk are still gone.

He's done.

No, you’re 100% right. They’re just misreading it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Asuron posted:

No, you’re 100% right. They’re just misreading it

It says his quirk was reconstructed/remodeled, not gone. Somebody corrects the translation at the bottom of the tumblr page.

There's another translation I didn't include because it's a tweet and can't be spoilered
https://twitter.com/shibuyasmash/status/1180138058181529600?s=20

More importantly, he's at the same prison as Stain and All for One. Something big has to go down there.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 27, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
When I click on this thread, I go in expecting certain discussions, about Stain and Endeavor and Bakugo and so on. Can't say that I've ever mentally prepared myself for an Overhaul stan before.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It says his quirk was reconstructed/remodeled, not gone. Somebody corrects the translation at the bottom of the tumblr page.

There's another translation I didn't include because it's a tweet and can't be spoilered
https://twitter.com/shibuyasmash/status/1180138058181529600?s=20

I would take a fan translation where even they are questioning if that was what’s written with a grain of salt dude.

Doesn’t make sense narratively either, whole point of the scene was to show his spirit being crushed with his arms being taken away. If it gets fixed, that defeats the whole point of writing that scenario.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It'd make more sense if Eri fixes Overhaul of her own volition so he can fix her grandpa.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I mean, it'd make more sense for her to just rewind her grandpa to before Overhaul hosed him up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Asuron posted:

I would take a fan translation where even they are questioning if that was what’s written with a grain of salt dude.

Doesn’t make sense narratively either, whole point of the scene was to show his spirit being crushed with his arms being taken away. If it gets fixed, that defeats the whole point of writing that scenario.

That's fair although why even put a note about his arms and quirk being treated if nothing has changed? Like, the mangaka is clearly filling in the gaps about what happened after we last saw him.

I wouldn't be opposed to finding somebody else who can read Japanese and asking their opinion, though.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Because he's my favorite main villain so far apart from All for One.. I like his design and voice and motivations and powerset. I think I mentioned here that MHA is sort of like X-Men but it's the one good future where everyone accepted Mutants and Mutantkind did overtake normal humans. Then here comes Overhaul, a "mutant" who detests his own kind and wants them wiped out. I find that interesting, too.

I've just been rather unimpressed with the League so far. Apart from Muscular, they can barely fight. Remember when all five of them couldn't defeat or capture Bakugo? They haven't really improved since then. In fact, they got worse, Magne is dead.

Overhaul himself called the villain league out on their wuss ways of not really doing anything but sit around with the title. Overhaul is a villain that I love to hate compared to the other villains. Tomura being the worst, I don’t think he’s successfully pulled anything off against the heroes and just gets bodied over and over again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A Bug posted:

Also, from the peppy OP to the announcement that Snatch is loving dead.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you're really underselling Shigaraki, Dabi, and Toga.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 27, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
overhaul treated shigaraki like a small-time chump and shigaraki quietly sabotaged his plans, made off with the fruits of his research, and permanently crippled him for good measure

shigaraki isn't intended to be some looming threat in the style of all for one, he's an up-and-coming villain the same way midoriya is an up-and-coming hero. his early career was a series of embarrassing tactical blunders and missed opportunities much like midoriya's several initial attempts at heroism resulted in him pulverizing his own bone structure and being carried out on a stretcher, but he's getting a little bit better every time

overhaul, meanwhile, is a shallow, antisocial brat, pretty much exactly who shigaraki was at during the USJ raid. he sucked and it's good that he lost and he's not coming back

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Let's not forget that Shigaraki, for as petulant and ineffectual as he's been portrayed for a good long while, has yet to lose a head on fight to anyone that isn't All Might.

And even then, he almost killed All Might.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shigaraki was a petulant baby who kept making gaming references and came off like a pathetic loser who nobody respected. But this time around his strategy was basically to trust and respect his team and have them in the perfect position to accomplish his plans. And it worked perfectly.

The power of friendship is a strong tool.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I may be overthinking it, but I enjoyed the little interaction between Mina and Kirishima. Kirishima admitting that he's not really OK but is getting there when Mina asked him was nice. It's a bit of a change-up from the normal brash/manly shounen character laughing and brushing off anything that could be perceived as a feeling that isn't fighting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Kirishima is a good boy. :unsmith:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

That's fair although why even put a note about his arms and quirk being treated if nothing has changed? Like, the mangaka is clearly filling in the gaps about what happened after we last saw him.

I wouldn't be opposed to finding somebody else who can read Japanese and asking their opinion, though.

Mentioning his arms is just a recap of what happened. The databook just seems to be clarifying that he is still alive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Bug posted:

I may be overthinking it, but I enjoyed the little interaction between Mina and Kirishima. Kirishima admitting that he's not really OK but is getting there when Mina asked him was nice. It's a bit of a change-up from the normal brash/manly shounen character laughing and brushing off anything that could be perceived as a feeling that isn't fighting.

if you're hard all the way through then that just makes you brittle. kirishima has a soft and gooey center and so he is unbreakable

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shigaraki was a petulant baby who kept making gaming references and came off like a pathetic loser who nobody respected. But this time around his strategy was basically to trust and respect his team and have them in the perfect position to accomplish his plans. And it worked perfectly.

The power of friendship is a strong tool.

The gaming references were funny because Overhaul wanted real bad to dunk on Shigaraki and thought that was the best way to do it

"look scrub, you can't even checkers correctly, join me and lemme show you what kinda brains and plans I can make up"

And Shigaraki shoves the game board down his throat at the end. I do not like Shigaraki but I really enjoyed his win in this arc.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

Let's say, for the sake of argument here, that you're right. Somehow. The thing summarising Overhaul's character and mentioning his Quirk and reconstruction/remodelling, which, in case you missed it, is literally what his Quirk does, is referring to a different character entirely. Let's think that through for a second here.

That would mean that there is someone who can create Quirks wholesale or at least actively modify them, possibly outright give them to people, chooses to do so for a villain who has been harmed and does so in what is outright the most secure prison in Japan.

Do you really think someone and/or something that like would be alluded to off-hand in one sentence in a character summary in a databook?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm excited to see the return of those other kids, as well as see bakugo and todoroki interact some. i think for the most part the only real interaction they've gotten was the one tournament fight, and bakugo could really use some character development that's at least somewhat independent of deku/all might

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Well it wasn't excactly some impressive fourth dimensional play by Shigaraki. He just waited for the plot armored heroes to defeat Overhaul then hit him when he was helpless in an ambulance.

Like yeah, that works.

Certainly does not make you look badass though.

Shig comes across as a massive loser still and I don't know what he is trying to accomplish. I did like that he's starting to Bond with his minions however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fartbox posted:

Well it wasn't excactly some impressive fourth dimensional play by Shigaraki. He just waited for the plot armored heroes to defeat Overhaul then hit him when he was helpless in an ambulance.

Like yeah, that works.

Certainly does not make you look badass though.

Shig comes across as a massive loser still and I don't know what he is trying to accomplish. I did like that he's starting to Bond with his minions however

His plan was to send in Toga and Twice, knowing that they would eventually gently caress over the Yakuza, without telling them to do so, which meant that they were immune to Shin Nemoto's quirk being able to force them to tell the truth, as they legitimately did not know that they were supposed to turn on them. Overhaul thought that he pressured Shigaraki into handing over Twice, possibly the most useful asset he has with his ridiculously powerful and useful quirk, along with one of the League's most competent fighters, and instead he was given a time bomb; without them, Mimic probably could have hosed with the heroes long enough to let Overhaul get away with Eri and possibly even taken some out, but those two baited him into exposing himself and then the heroes crushed him.

Obviously Shiggy didn't expect things to go down that exact way, but sending in Twice and Toga and trusting them to gently caress up Overhaul's plans without telling them to do so along with them being able to feed him information and stuff was still a pretty good move. It's both clever, since it evades Shin Nemoto's Confession along with just not having them need to lie (Toga might be able to manage it but Twice is probably a terrible actor and wouldn't have even needed a quirk to make him slip up), and also shows how well he understands his allies and has faith in them instead of seeing them as disposable pawns or just outright hating them. He's grown a lot since the early series.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 27, 2020