Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think the main thing stopping me from racking up stupid hours in 3k, is wh2. When I get tired of playing 3k, it's the equivalent of getting tired of one faction in Warhammer. You can pretty much endlessly cycle through factions in Warhammer and by the time you get back to the first one, you are interested in playing it again.

So with 3k, I find myself binging when a new dlc or big patch comes out, and then inevitably drifting back to Warhammer before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A Perfect Twist posted:

The only good one was Jeb! :shepface:

ehhh his starting position was nice but the please clap event followed by the guacamelee quest chain brings him back down to par

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I bought 3k today.

Holy poo poo what a change. This is awesome. It's really slow to start, i find. I'm playing as Gongsun Zan and moneys a bit tight, but i'm in love with this duel system

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dogstile posted:

I bought 3k today.

Holy poo poo what a change. This is awesome. It's really slow to start, i find. I'm playing as Gongsun Zan and moneys a bit tight, but i'm in love with this duel system

gongsun Zan was one of my favorite campaigns in any total war game. descending on China from the rugged north on white horses with cold steel

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Gongsun Zan was the first actual campaign victory I’ve achieved in a TW in like a 10 years. fun till the end, avoiding the ‘get bored and start a new game’ which plagues most TW runs.

Remember both of his unique horse units have great charge and melee stats, they are not just fragile horse archers, they own.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just picked this up in the sale. I know zilch about the period besides not to pursue Lu Bu.

What's a good starting choice, and records or romance? I'm leaning toward records.

Not at all new to TW games, so I don't necessarily need the baby faction.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Enigma posted:

Just picked this up in the sale. I know zilch about the period besides not to pursue Lu Bu.

What's a good starting choice, and records or romance? I'm leaning toward records.

You should do Romance and attempt to acquire Lu Bu

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I honestly prefer records. The romance characters are kinda lame compared to Warhammer characters, both lamer and more OP. Making them duel is the only good part of romance.

Also for starters I'd pick Sun Jian if you like casually expanding and then owning the AI with your perfectly micro'd empire, Cao Cao if you want to learn in the middle of the poo poo, Kong Rong if you really like archers and trading and can handle losing your home city, or Liu Bei if you have morals and enjoy strong rear end characters. e: or Yuan Shao if you really enjoy selling food to every rear end in a top hat in China to fund your armies, and then eventually somehow they agree to be your vassal

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Definitely try Romance once imo, I quite like it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

romance is a shittier warhammer, records is an insanely polished tob.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
records has stamina actually matter

and stamina sucks

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

So uh, from the broken English I'm guessing the event is from Wudaissance but is that trait from vanilla?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

upgunned shitpost posted:

romance is a shittier warhammer, records is an insanely polished tob.

war hammer is so much better than tob that I could agree with this and still prefer romance (and I do)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Do you still get to duel in records? Because if not i'm out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dogstile posted:

Do you still get to duel in records? Because if not i'm out.

The characters still duel but it's not a specific mechanic, the models just automatically kind of ride or walk towards each other and start dukeing it out if their bodyguards are close together.

Also there's no trash talking, the real loss of records mode.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Never playing it then, i guess!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
That feel when Liu Chong dies of a cold one turn before saving the emperor, only a few years into a campaign. There goes my will to play out the rest of that legendary campaign.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For a sec I thought you said Liu Chong dies to a Cold One and was briefly extremely intrigued

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Xarbala posted:

For a sec I thought you said Liu Chong dies to a Cold One and was briefly extremely intrigued

Give me a 3K mod that patches in a couple of Warhammer factions. Just give me Alith Anar way up northwest, Ikit Claw in the far far southwest, and Settra starting in burnt out Louyang.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I ended up getting 3K but I have to admit I'm overwhelmed by a lot of the campaign map stuff. The building/research system is a lot more obtuse than TWW and a lot of the stats seems bizarre to me, like what does +1 retinue per season mean? Why do I want to build military buildings if they don't change what I recruit, which seems to be just pure tech trees. Also I'm not quite sure what a general like Cao Cao should do on the battlefield, like I understand your blue generals are terrible at fighting and for archers, green are your fighting guys, purple are...defensive fighty guys?, red are for fighty guys for infantry, and no idea what yellow do. The UI is very slick, though it also requires me to relearn what to watch for to make sure all my dudes are fighting.

Also for income do I want to focus on peasantry or try and do industry?

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Eimi posted:

I ended up getting 3K but I have to admit I'm overwhelmed by a lot of the campaign map stuff. The building/research system is a lot more obtuse than TWW and a lot of the stats seems bizarre to me, like what does +1 retinue per season mean? Why do I want to build military buildings if they don't change what I recruit, which seems to be just pure tech trees. Also I'm not quite sure what a general like Cao Cao should do on the battlefield, like I understand your blue generals are terrible at fighting and for archers, green are your fighting guys, purple are...defensive fighty guys?, red are for fighty guys for infantry, and no idea what yellow do. The UI is very slick, though it also requires me to relearn what to watch for to make sure all my dudes are fighting.

Start with this : https://youtu.be/jMayJMMjWpE

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

How do you check Lu Zhi's book set bonuses? I've got all the books for the Instinct bonus, but can't seem to find the set's descriptor.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

The campaign stuff is also where I struggle. I think I'm just going to fart around with their help docs until I get it. The game has a lot of on-hover tooltips for things but others are just left for you to figure out. Why do I care about +retinue per season and what the hell is it? Growth is typically important so I assume peasantry goes well with that. Why is replenishment so slow in this game? I guess I'm just supposed to disband armies and spin them up elsewhere rather than maintain them? Is there a military supply reserve or do I just automatically get 100 when I'm in my territory for a turn? I think I'm just going to do a gently caress around Sun Jian campaign where I ignore everything and just try different campaign buildings/etc to figure things out.

Also am I just missing it or did they hide your generals XP bar behind on a random mouse hover? I can only find it on their little bubble at the top. The tech tree is also a bit baffling. It feels like 3 different teams designed the UI.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You can only recruit so many units a turn (season). +retinue per season ups that limit.

Commerce is the big moneymaker, but you shouldn't force it. PLan your main settlement buildings around the minor ones, for the most part. Commerce is usually small flat amount times huge multiplier, and industry is the opposite. So if you have one ore two spare slots in a food province, industry is usually what you fill them with.

Replenishment depends on a lot of things, but there's a tech to add a flat 10% to it which makes you replenish lightning fast. I usually beeline it. Yellow generals are in the lonely middle where they do nothing very well. I usually send them with my sentinel/champion to goon enemy lords.

e: the reform tree rules do not disparage it!!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
For replenishment - when you first recruit dudes they get a bonus called ‘mustering’ until they are moved. If you are recruiting a new army or just new dudes in an army you should avoid moving them right away. I believe with mustering that nothing takes longer than 4 turns to get to full strength. If they move and lose the mustering bonus your replenishment % is now based on your army commanding general stats, any special skills of other generals in the army, buildings and supply of the province they are in. Early game those factor are low low low.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Always remember that ambush is life and ambush is king. To be a true king means to constantly hide in bushes.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The base game tech tree looks intimidating but it’s actually pretty simple because a lot of techs are borderline useless. I usually prioritize:

1. Archers (unless you get unique archers)
2. Trade agreements/trade power upgrades until I’m turning a profit with one full stack
3. Replenishment upgrades
4. Whatever I feel like getting, usually units I haven’t tried or unique building upgrades

That usually works well for me as a one-size-fits-most.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Always go straight for the replenishment upgrade in the military reforms, imo. That also has some bonuses to mustering speed.

In terms of speccing commanderies, you should go mostly off the element of their minor settlements

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

yikes! posted:

You can only recruit so many units a turn (season). +retinue per season ups that limit.

Commerce is the big moneymaker, but you shouldn't force it. PLan your main settlement buildings around the minor ones, for the most part. Commerce is usually small flat amount times huge multiplier, and industry is the opposite. So if you have one ore two spare slots in a food province, industry is usually what you fill them with.

Replenishment depends on a lot of things, but there's a tech to add a flat 10% to it which makes you replenish lightning fast. I usually beeline it. Yellow generals are in the lonely middle where they do nothing very well. I usually send them with my sentinel/champion to goon enemy lords.

e: the reform tree rules do not disparage it!!

For commerce/industry you also want to look at what raw materials you have in a province. Generally you want to double down on stuff you already have, so if you have a mine in the area, it makes more sense to stick industry boosting buildings there, while ports or trade goods you want to emphasize commerce.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For commerce/industry you also want to look at what raw materials you have in a province. Generally you want to double down on stuff you already have, so if you have a mine in the area, it makes more sense to stick industry boosting buildings there, while ports or trade goods you want to emphasize commerce.

Isn't that what I said, or am I missing something?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tarezax posted:

You should do Romance and attempt to acquire Lu Bu

You jest, but my last Zheng Jiang game I wound up arranging a marriage to Lu Bu. Once they got in the same army I was able to completely stomp my way through anything.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Captain Beans posted:

Gongsun Zan was the first actual campaign victory I’ve achieved in a TW in like a 10 years. fun till the end, avoiding the ‘get bored and start a new game’ which plagues most TW runs.

Remember both of his unique horse units have great charge and melee stats, they are not just fragile horse archers, they own.

My Kong Rong campaign went up in flames because I realized way too late how to recruit new units (I kept trying to recruit in the general details and figured I just needed to level up to have a bigger retinue).

I restarted as Gongsun Zan and so far am having a blast now that I know how to have an army. About to go wreck the backstabbing motherfucker to the north who broke our non-aggression pact with his motherfucking backstabbing.

I still can't quite get a handle on all the stuff you do with characters. What do assignments do, and how do I get more? Are legendary ones unique/always worth snagging, or are they just a little better/rarer than non-legendary?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fuligin posted:

Always go straight for the replenishment upgrade in the military reforms, imo. That also has some bonuses to mustering speed.

In terms of speccing commanderies, you should go mostly off the element of their minor settlements

Yeah I usually go straight for this then the agriculture tree branch that leads to reduced retinue upkeep since you're basically already halfway there having done the military reforms already. You unlock some sturdier green units and I think another 2% replenishment on the way too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Diplomacy in this game is weird. I feel like i'm being punished for having big borders from early game expansion because I never seem to have enough money to support more than one stack and as soon as i move that one stack, someone wars me on the other side of my empire, which leads to me then walking over there, taking my town back, taking all their land, then repeating it for the other side.

It's kinda annoying, tbh. Can you fuckers give me a second to breathe? Some of these people are people i've had standing NAP and trade deals with for like, 14 turns. You have a single town and a farm buddy, why the gently caress are you declaring war on someone who has 5x the amount of cities you do? You don't even have allies!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i always went for stuff like trade first because you can create a web of generally friendly people with trade pretty easily. it lets you get poo poo done without getting jumped on, assuming you've made the right friends

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

dogstile posted:

Diplomacy in this game is weird. I feel like i'm being punished for having big borders from early game expansion because I never seem to have enough money to support more than one stack and as soon as i move that one stack, someone wars me on the other side of my empire, which leads to me then walking over there, taking my town back, taking all their land, then repeating it for the other side.

Are you filling up your armies with things other than militia? In the early game you can cripple your economy pretty fast if you're filling out your retinues with the best troops available. I might give each general one or two of the better units but broadly speaking I find it's better to just use militia since they're significantly cheaper. Once you really get rolling you can adjust, of course.

The exception for me is administrators. If I have an administrator I know I'm never or only very rarely going to have to deploy, I'll give them 6 of the best units I can buy and then recall them. Their retinue upkeep costs nothing and you significantly improve the garrison for whatever commandery they're stationed in, which helps with your other problem of people attacking the opposite side of your empire.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Administrators and their retainers are part of the garrison?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Are you filling up your armies with things other than militia? In the early game you can cripple your economy pretty fast if you're filling out your retinues with the best troops available. I might give each general one or two of the better units but broadly speaking I find it's better to just use militia since they're significantly cheaper. Once you really get rolling you can adjust, of course.

The exception for me is administrators. If I have an administrator I know I'm never or only very rarely going to have to deploy, I'll give them 6 of the best units I can buy and then recall them. Their retinue upkeep costs nothing and you significantly improve the garrison for whatever commandery they're stationed in, which helps with your other problem of people attacking the opposite side of your empire.

Archers are so cheap i'm mostly using them. The best units, as you say, go to people who are gonna be administrators that i'm then going to chuck into a garrison, but until you have cities they're not going to kill whatever army the AI has decided to actually attack you with, its still basically 1 retinue vs a full stack. Kinda doable with cities and it worked early game for me, but then the AI just started throwing two full stacks at me.

It kind of leads me to believe that I shouldn't be massively expanding early game and just talking nice with a lot of people and then only expanding when they're all coalitioned with me

Enigma posted:

Administrators and their retainers are part of the garrison?

Yeah this is something the game doesn't explain, but yeah, administrators and whatever your put them with form part of the city garrison. I'm not sure if it does it for farms in that province or not.

E:

In fact, is there a "quick list of things the game doesn't explain" anywhere? Because every now and again i trip over a new mechanic and go "what the gently caress".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 27, 2020

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

dogstile posted:

The best units, as you say, go to people who are gonna be administrators that i'm then going to chuck into a garrison, but until you have cities they're not going to kill whatever army the AI has decided to actually attack you with, its still basically 1 retinue vs a full stack. Kinda doable with cities and it worked early game for me, but then the AI just started throwing two full stacks at me.

Makes sense. I usually build the military building that increases the size of the garrison on my level 4 cities in frontier areas, since that + an administrator gives you even odds unless they bring multiple armies which seems to only happen very rarely. Once things stabilize or you expand further you can tear it down and build something new. In general the only time I've had multiple armies thrown at me seems to be later in the game when I can afford multiple armies anyway, or yellow turban armies which are usually an easy win even if the autoresolve makes it seem like you're hosed. I'm only playing on Hard, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Enigma posted:

I still can't quite get a handle on all the stuff you do with characters. What do assignments do, and how do I get more? Are legendary ones unique/always worth snagging, or are they just a little better/rarer than non-legendary?

Assignments are little missions you can send characters on that occur off map. Characters can be thought of in two ways: on map leading armies, or off map (chilling in your court doing nothing, on an assignment, or spying). Assignments functionally replace on map agents from previous total war games. The max number of characters you can have on assignment depends on your faction rank, I think so special tech and buildings may also add 1 or 2.

All characters have a specific assignment mission they can do depending on their color type. For example all yellow commanders can boost peasantry income. New assignment can be unlocked with skill nodes.