Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I have a feeling that the class-leading benefits at the original price was always meant to be a temporary tactic to break into the market, so to speak. Now that they've firmly established themselves as an A tier high-end card, they don't need to be a loss leader any more.

Yep. It's hugely popular now so no reason to give much away.

On the plus side if you travel a poo poo-ton, or even better travel for work and they let you use your own card, it's seriously good. I normally rack up about 250k CSR points a year thanks to heavy travel, 3x airfare, etc. and have paid for thousands of dollars worth of free flights and hotels with points every year.

As with any reward card you need to pay it in full every month but if you do it's practically stealing from the bank if you travel enough.

Edit: Noting that Chase is really making their money off you by increased fees to merchants, particularly travel merchants. That and dummies who carry a large balance with it.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh yeah it's still worth it even though I don't travel as much as I used to (and can't use it to book flights for work). The question is if it's still better than the Amex plat, especially for someone who flies Delta.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
If I cancel my CSR due to the bump in fees, do I keep my Ultimate Rewards points? I dont have a regular CS but I do have a southwest card with Chase still.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you downgrade to the CSP you should keep them. Not sure if you downgrade to Freedom Unlimited, though I kept mine when switching from CSP to FU after I got my CSR

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
You have to have an active card that uses the points to keep them. It's in your card T&Cs.

If you are going to cancel and can't find a way to blow them all on travel through their portal you can always transfer them to a partner, like an airline, first.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

If you downgrade to the CSP you should keep them. Not sure if you downgrade to Freedom Unlimited, though I kept mine when switching from CSP to FU after I got my CSR

My freedom unlimited has UR points and you can move them between the CSR and Unlimited, so I think this would work. Obviously I've only moved them the other way because you get better redemption value with the CSR.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah just change to one of the Freedom cards and you're in business.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Omne posted:

That’s not how I expect a card named “FU” to work.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Anybody here have a Pelican 1510 or 1535? Thoughts?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I have the 1510. What would you like to know about it? It fits in the overhead bin of most airlines/planes unless you're on something like the Dash 8, then you'll have to check it. Only issue I've had with it is that I have to add locks/zipties to it if I check it because it will somehow unlatch itself.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
How's the weight? I'm considering getting either the 10 or 35, which appears to be lighter. Did you get the liner inserts?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I have a lot of poo poo in my Pelican so it's pretty heavy. A guy I work with has the Air and he says he notices the difference between the two. I originally had the 1510 with just the foam but I ended up getting the Trekpak and it's so much better. My case is so much more organized with it and it's been solid.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Real happy i'm in the office the next two weeks while this whole virus thing hopefully blows over

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I have the Air 1525. And it's a poo poo ton lighter than the knock off Pelican cases we used to have. One thing I suggest, if what you carry in it is always the same then get the laser cut foam. My department has been using it for a year and the foam looks like it's brand new. It's much better than the inserts you tear strips off of.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I'd be using it like a regular rear end carry-on. Pretty much clothes and a laptop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Big Jesus posted:

I'd be using it like a regular rear end carry-on. Pretty much clothes and a laptop.

why

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Cause I'd be getting it for free so I guess why not

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Lol you're probably better off getting proper carry on luggage. You'd be able to fit more stuff in there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I ate my breakfast eggs at a TownePlace suites this morning using the lovely plastic cutlery and it snapped and sliced my finger, so I had to be careful all day trying to hope that my sliced finger wouldn’t split open and bleed everywhere while I was giving a 6 hour presentation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Do not use a pelican unless you have a need.

Get the free one and flip it and buy something

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

Cause I'd be getting it for free so I guess why not

Sell it then. The cases are amazing if you need to move poo poo that just can't be given the kind of beating baggage handlers routinely deal out. But even the airs are going to be heavier then any modern luggage. And they won't store as much stuff. Also they pretty much have to be checked. I'm doubtful either Pelican model you mentioned would fit in an overhead bin.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I’ll take the Pelican Air off of your hands. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thomamelas posted:

Sell it then. The cases are amazing if you need to move poo poo that just can't be given the kind of beating baggage handlers routinely deal out. But even the airs are going to be heavier then any modern luggage. And they won't store as much stuff. Also they pretty much have to be checked. I'm doubtful either Pelican model you mentioned would fit in an overhead bin.

There’s a carry-on one I’ve used to move computers around a few times, but that’s all I use it for. For stuff that isn’t fragile it’s strictly worse than a Patagonia MLC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pros to the pelican:

1) u look fly
2) ur stuff will be SECURE

cons to the pelican:
1) u only look fly to neckbeards, libertarians, and cryprocurrency enthusiasts (but i repeat myself lol)
2) holds less poo poo than an equivalent volume carryon
3) def wont fit in any RJ overhead except maybe the new CRJ-550 - usually you can cram a smaller carryon in to the Long RJs and the E-jets
4) heavy

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I enjoyed reading this article (and continuing not to fly NK)
https://marker.medium.com/if-everyone-hates-spirit-airlines-how-is-it-making-so-much-money-8c7d13472352

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Barry posted:

Yeah just change to one of the Freedom cards and you're in business.

Should point out though that you can't transfer points to partners if you only have either of the Freedom cards.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

We are apparently big and global enough that sending reimbursement checks manually to folks outside a few select countries is not sustainable, so we are likely switching from Expensify to Concur.

How badly is this going to suck for frequent travelers?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Concur user experience usually correlates to how the company has configured it. The more locked down and specific you make it, the harder it is to use.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Goober Peas posted:

Concur user experience usually correlates to how the company has configured it. The more locked down and specific you make it, the harder it is to use.

When my old company used concur, it was surprisingly fine. Heck, it was even kind of fun trying to figure out how to limit my required travel hours so that the best flight choice ended up being the one I wanted!

:v:

Also I finally flew on a 787 on a transcon flight yesterday. That was a pretty sweet experience, other than the nagging feeling of being on a recent-vintage Boeing product.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

If you play with the Concur sliders and search terms enough you can make the searches pop what you want without flagging accounting, at least in our implementation. I do like the automatic receipt image pairing for expenses.

I have 0 flights planned thru feb so far! It feels like heaven

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

We have "use your best judgement" as our only policy (for now)

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

porkface posted:

We are apparently big and global enough that sending reimbursement checks manually to folks outside a few select countries is not sustainable, so we are likely switching from Expensify to Concur. How badly is this going to suck for frequent travelers?
My company goes through Concur, and it's not bad at all actually. We had some struggles in the beginning where I would find flights on Delta that didn't show up on Concur, but it's pretty smooth sailing now.

taco show posted:

If you play with the Concur sliders and search terms enough you can make the searches pop what you want without flagging accounting, at least in our implementation. I do like the automatic receipt image pairing for expenses.
For whatever reason in our setup, changing the sliders doesn't get rid of the exception notification. I actually have to change the search times, but that's easy enough to do.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Our implementation years ago was over-engineered to the point of useless. It's gradually become useful, helpful as the peel away the controls. Literally the first 5 years of savings in travel were offset by additional overhead.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

For whatever reason in our setup, changing the sliders doesn't get rid of the exception notification. I actually have to change the search times, but that's easy enough to do.

Yeah, the sliders are display filters, not query filters.

What you want is to make the ±hours drop down next to your entered time as small as possible, perhaps using web inspector or grease monkey. That’s a query filter, so it gets applied before it looks for the cheapest option in the set it matches.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
My little FedGov fiefdom uses concur. It can be kind of awkward but I've used worse systems before.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
JFC I just saw the largest group of 1k members just load up this LAX to EWR flight. Had to be over 20, it just went on forever.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

tomapot posted:

JFC I just saw the largest group of 1k members just load up this LAX to EWR flight. Had to be over 20, it just went on forever.

Try DIA during conference season.

Given UA's changes to their program though I expect the number of 1k members to significantly diminish this time next year given that 2019 was the last time to qualify under the old rules. Under the new ones, getting 1k basically boils down to "spend at least $24K in airfare and fly at least 4 times". Or $18k and fly once a week, every week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i really hope that Delta changes the rules in a similar fashion

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I gotta say the changes for EQD to AA have been a huge improvement for me.

Even gifting exec plat is nice but I know that person is last on the list unless they spend enough to actually earn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Going on vacation to Spain in September. Part of that vacation is driving from Barcelona to Valencia and back, and I want to do it in an exotic car. I'd like to get quotes from a few different places and a few different cars. Anyone have recommendations for rental services to look into and cross shop?