Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if you will a Simpsons fan who has been hanging inside a cave with a muted TV at their back, experiencing The Simpsons only as the shadows produced by the flickering lights of the TV. They break free one day to find The Simpsons are not the shadows they know, but unrecognizeable yellow monstrosities somehow emitting hack jokes in human voices, often with appearances by people they're told are famous but have never heard of. We are shackled by our senses, unable to know the true form of The Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PostNouveau posted:

Imagine if you will a Simpsons fan who has been hanging inside a cave with a muted TV at their back, experiencing The Simpsons only as the shadows produced by the flickering lights of the TV. They break free one day to find The Simpsons are not the shadows they know, but unrecognizeable yellow monstrosities somehow emitting hack jokes in human voices, often with appearances by people they're told are famous but have never heard of. We are shackled by our senses, unable to know the true form of The Simpsons.

He then goes back to the cave to share what he's learned. The people chained down in the good Simpsons thread rebel

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One must imagine The Simpsons is good

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm not super into podcasts at all but apparently the voice of Lisa Simpson started a podcast with a (very, very low level) actress friend of hers. The podcast became a moderate success and Yeardley Smith orchestrated like a hostile takeover of the podcast and all rights/merchandising/etc., completely forcing her best friend out and starting a legal feud.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-simpsons-yeardley-smith-aka-lisa-simpson-accused-of-screwing-her-bff-out-of-small-town-dicks-podcast

Yeardley is worth over $85 million dollars, so I'm not sure exactly why she's so cutthroat over Moderately Small Podcast money or any of this poo poo, but the whole thing is kind of wild considering the crazy disparity in the two women's wealth and success. Also she's basically a cop lover so double gently caress her, that's what the podcast is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wealth turns trashy people into dumpster fires hth

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat finding out Lisa Simpson is an increasingly isolated CHUD IRL is probably a top 5 consideration for the thread title

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wealth turns trashy people into dumpster fires hth

That sweet, sweet Casper mattress money makes animals of us all.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Isn't she a Scientologist as well?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Laterite posted:

Isn't she a Scientologist as well?
That's Bart

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Daikloktos posted:

That's Bart

Tip to toe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WeaponX posted:

You know none of this Apu stuff would matter if this show ended ten seasons ago like it should have :viggo:

this but unironically, also at least fifteen

Cursed idea: The Simpsons will be in the next Kingdom Hearts game

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If it has a Simpsons Road Rage game built into it, I might actually care. (The last KH game was garbage though.)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

One thing that modern Simpsons never gags on anymore is the pull-back shot that defies conventions. Things like the “Yeah, that’s a fine looking grill! *pull back* why the hell doesn’t mine look like that!”

These days the closest it gets is to have weird shop names next to each other and easy, lame gags like that

Let me write one for them: At Springfield mall - Mapple Store, *pull back and out* Broken Screen Mapple Repair Shop with very long line out the door

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I try to explain to people that we’ll never see anything as clever as “Oh... it’s a donkey!” ever again and half my diehard Simpsons friends don’t even get that reference :negative:

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Hahaha yes, i still use the donkey line whenever someone points out something obvious.

loving rip simpsons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Killswitch posted:

Hahaha yes, i still use the donkey line whenever someone points out something obvious.

loving rip simpsons

Kuber Mark?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ghost Leviathan posted:

King of the Hill would be a unironically good choice.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was supposed to be Poochie, but now Poochie is a meme!?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bobjr posted:

King of the Hill would be a unironically good choice.

Summon Hank to fight Thanos with a lightsaber keyblade

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the Chapo interview with one of the writers he said that the show hasn't had talking Apu for years, so the controversy didn't really make sense. Is it true?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

steinrokkan posted:

In the Chapo interview with one of the writers he said that the show hasn't had talking Apu for years, so the controversy didn't really make sense. Is it true?

LMAO, the controversy wasn’t that Azaria had done so recently, it’s that American media was so completely devoid of Indian people in the 90’s that Apu’s stereotypes became absorbed in the US media zeitgeist and informed racist notions of Indians for decades to come.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like anybody sane's been paying attention for years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like anybody sane's been paying attention for years.

Tough but fair

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like it's a shame because despite propagating stereotypes Apu still managed to be maybe one of the most three-dimensional side characters in the series, and almost unique in being an Asian man portrayed as attractive and desirable.

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO, the controversy wasn’t that Azaria had done so recently, it’s that American media was so completely devoid of Indian people in the 90’s that Apu’s stereotypes became absorbed in the US media zeitgeist and informed racist notions of Indians for decades to come.

The near-total void of Indian characters does stand out in retrospect. Even with token characters they'd almost always be Chinese or Japanese. (Yes, the King of the Hill joke comes to mind) British media actually had a lot more Indian characters, and probably because they've got much stronger cultural connections for obvious reasons. I mean hell, the last Indian characters I can think of are Connie from Steven Universe (who just looks generally brown unless you look up her last name, and her family seems otherwise assimilated) and freaking Raj from The Big Bang Theory. (Who apparently is popular in India anyway, probably because he exactly fits their own nerd stereotype)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

My earliest exposure to Indians came from Short Circuit and later Apu as a child. I was pretty shocked years later when I found out that Short Circuit man was a white dude in brown face.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually there's also Baljeet from Phineas and Ferb, who also fits the nerdy Indian stereotype. (also his superhero persona is Hanumanman)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched last night's current episode of the Simpsons. Marge becomes a lumberjack lumberjill, and the Simpsons visited Portland for a lumberjack lumberjill competition. This included a "parody" of the intro to Portlandia.

Yes, I was drunk at the time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Featuring Dan Armisen as a fascist Proud Boy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched last night's current episode of the Simpsons. Marge becomes a lumberjack lumberjill, and the Simpsons visited Portland for a lumberjack lumberjill competition. This included a "parody" of the intro to Portlandia.

Ha, no really what was yesterday's episode?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

What was the musical montage set to that of course they did (not including the Portlandia intro)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Ha, no really what was yesterday's episode?

That's a rerun of an episode from earlier this season.

Homer thought Marge was gonna leave him for her lumberjacking partner.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

goon podcast Talking Simpsons has had an Indian American guest on a few times who's gone over the some Apu stuff, the stereotypes etc. Check out some of the Apu-focused episodes for his commentary!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

PostNouveau posted:

That's a rerun of an episode from earlier this season.

Homer thought Marge was gonna leave him for her lumberjacking partner.

This is actually really informative about what's so bad about newsimp.

Miscommunication subplots are the empty shell of comedy writing that makes so many sitcoms so bad. Dramatic irony isn't actually funny.

I don't think there is a single episode of good Simpsons where that's the basis of a conflict that lasts longer than a scene.

Not one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Miscommunication subplots are the empty shell of comedy writing that makes so many sitcoms so bad. Dramatic irony isn't actually funny.

I dunno that's like most of the good years of Arrested Development

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

PostNouveau posted:

Ron Howard: this wasn't actually true. What made it work was deadpan delivery of new information

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

Ron Howard: There were no good years of Arrested Development

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Any season of Arrested Development is better than the last 10 years of The Simpson’s combined.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The good seasons of Arrested Development, like good Simpsons, have several layers to the humor so its not -just- the fact that there's a miscommunication.

To me the most prominent lazy writing crutch the show has used for 20 years now is constantly introducing new one-off characters where the entire episode revolves around them. King of the Hill got pretty bad with this too in the later seasons, though obviously the quality of KOTH never dropped anywhere close to Simpsons levels.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The good seasons of Arrested Development, like good Simpsons, have several layers to the humor so its not -just- the fact that there's a miscommunication.

To me the most prominent lazy writing crutch the show has used for 20 years now is constantly introducing new one-off characters where the entire episode revolves around them. King of the Hill got pretty bad with this too in the later seasons, though obviously the quality of KOTH never dropped anywhere close to Simpsons levels.

Yeah, there were a few years where every KOTH episode was "Bobby or Peggy meets someone who gets them into a new hobby that then consumes their life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, there were a few years where every KOTH episode was "Bobby or Peggy meets someone who gets them into a new hobby that then consumes their life."

lol if you dont think ward rackley was one of the best one off characters on koth