Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I don't disagree with her, if I was handed the Sisyphean task of trying to fix SA, "Get real forum software and not poo poo written by like six randos over the space of sixteen years." would definitely be on the list if I could rope some sucker into investing their cash for the site. But the bigger problem is that SA was founded, known for, and rose on the wings of transgressive humor. Which none of the shrieking assholes infesting the forum now would even remotely begin to tolerate.

Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded.
-2004, Something Awful, rising Internet star worth gazoodles of money.

OMG the Leper Colony is punching down, this is 2020, I can't even.
-2020, Something Awful, dead gay forum worth zilch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zeta Acosta posted:

Idea to make money
Every thread and forum should have a delete value.
If the money value is achieved that thread and or forum is deleted.
I'll give lowtax 10 bucks to delete Debate and Discusso

I’m imagining the excel spreadsheet

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Oh umm well that changes things.

That guy was shitcanned by the studio a few years ago, so was it him who approached you or someone at Failbetter Games? Because the latter are very cool.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
more BIG ideas to make money-

aggressively shake can of coins at people outside supermarket
bikini car wash

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I just read that Ferrari and Disney are the biggest brands atm. Maybe lowtax should sell the site to them

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeta Acosta posted:

I just read that Ferrari and Disney are the biggest brands atm. Maybe lowtax should sell the site to them

every poster getting to technically be a disney princess is hard to resist

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I want to be a Ferrari F40

youre
Dec 30, 2019

I think $100 for a forums account is a workshoppable idea

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Shortest Path posted:

That guy was shitcanned by the studio a few years ago, so was it him who approached you or someone at Failbetter Games? Because the latter are very cool.

Yah if it was just the studio hitting you up I don’t see a problem with taking some cash from them for some sweet 77% off goon discounts.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

The Shortest Path posted:

It was a female, so I'm fairly sure it wasn't that guy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

youre posted:

I think $100 for a forums account is a workshoppable idea
we're going with david thorpe's $85/month model from the g4 interview - he was ahead of his time

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Valatar posted:

I mean, I don't disagree with her, if I was handed the Sisyphean task of trying to fix SA, "Get real forum software and not poo poo written by like six randos over the space of sixteen years." would definitely be on the list if I could rope some sucker into investing their cash for the site.

Lowtax posted:

There are no marketing strategies for the forums, that has been repeated multiple times, there won't be anything to do with the forums.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She doesn't plan to monetize the forums, just the front page. However, once the millions start rolling in from investors in the front page, she plans to use an extra piece of that money to hire a team of professional developers to fix the forum software. Keep up!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

She doesn't plan to monetize the forums, just the front page. However, once the millions start rolling in from investors in the front page, she plans to use an extra piece of that money to hire a team of professional developers to fix the forum software. Keep up!!

Adrian Carmack presents SA Forums 2.0

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Welp just skipped a bunch of pages of everyone being angry and bitter and passive aggressive, an unfortunately common occurence on this comedy website which isn't a place where anyone has remembered how to relax and have fun in a long long time. Although this isn't really a thread for joking anyway, and I do hope things work out for your personal life Lowtax and particularly that your daughter gets through this all okay.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Zoe posted:

Welp just skipped a bunch of pages of everyone being angry and bitter and passive aggressive, an unfortunately common occurence on this comedy website which isn't a place where anyone has remembered how to relax and have fun in a long long time. Although this isn't really a thread for joking anyway, and I do hope things work out for your personal life Lowtax and particularly that your daughter gets through this all okay.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zoe posted:

We have a peaceful thread, and Jokes are allowed

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Burt Sexual posted:

We have a peaceful thread, and Jokes are allowed

Very cool, I love to laugh!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Valatar posted:

I mean, I don't disagree with her, if I was handed the Sisyphean task of trying to fix SA, "Get real forum software and not poo poo written by like six randos over the space of sixteen years." would definitely be on the list if I could rope some sucker into investing their cash for the site. But the bigger problem is that SA was founded, known for, and rose on the wings of transgressive humor. Which none of the shrieking assholes infesting the forum now would even remotely begin to tolerate.

Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded.
-2004, Something Awful, rising Internet star worth gazoodles of money.

OMG the Leper Colony is punching down, this is 2020, I can't even.
-2020, Something Awful, dead gay forum worth zilch.

because it turns out open bigotry isn't 'transgressive' humour, it is entirely mainstream

respecting the underprivileged is transgressive

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
How about the front page just becomes the new mad magazine

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

because it turns out open bigotry isn't 'transgressive' humour, it is entirely mainstream

If you can’t tell the difference between early 2000s SA’s humor and actual bigotry you probably shouldn’t be here tbh

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

that's why brands like Coca-Cola do it, it's good marketing sense to go against the grain of society and its ills

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It would be really cool to see lots of new content on the front page :)

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

If you can’t tell the difference between early 2000s SA’s humor and actual bigotry you probably shouldn’t be here tbh

lol if you think all the loving slurs being tossed around back then were "ironic"

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene
Yeah, it was pure hate speech. Those were dark times, I’m glad the forums have achieved enlightenment.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The last 10 pages were very confusing but I think got the gist of it, you can drop by anytime Rich, I got a nice sofa you can sleep on and the building is equipped with a bomb shelter if things get hairy.

One possible problem: it's hard to get mangosteen juice in Israel. Sorry.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

Yes, definitely lets talk about Israel.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Griz posted:

lol if you think all the loving slurs being tossed around back then were "ironic"

Well obviously not all of them on the forums, no. There have been thousands of goons, so of course there were lovely people too. I’m mostly talking about the style of humor as a whole, and I absolutely don’t believe site contributors like Zack Parsons et al were/are bigots, nor were the majority of posters at the time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

youre posted:

Yes, definitely lets talk about Israel.

I support a 2 forums solution

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a particular reason (i.e. timing, personnel) why you believe the frontpage can successfully be monetized now when, from my understanding, such attempts have not been successful in the past? I'm not closely familiar with the business side of SA, so if the frontpage has already been a moneymaker, even indirectly through facilitating forums growth, I apologize. Since this topic has already seen its fair share of trolling, I want to emphasize that I am genuinely curious and posting without malice or contempt.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What happens if Lowtax loses the forums in the divorce? Who's our dad then?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This whole thread makes me intensely uncomfortable.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Flayer posted:

What happens if Lowtax loses the forums in the divorce? Who's our dad then?

Lol if you dont already spend one weekend a month in Fragmaster’s custody

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

tao of lmao posted:

This whole thread makes me intensely uncomfortable.

Yeahhhh

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lowtax posted:

It was a female, so I'm fairly sure it wasn't that guy.

Was it Lottie Bevan? She's the other half of his current studio.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Looking forward to reading articles on AWFUL SPORTS, AWFUL NEWS, AWFUL TECH, all the new content squads on SOMETHING AWFUL, your one stop shop for internet fun and premium content

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
SA needs a news feed like Rotten.com used to have. Hell, just cover esports and create a gossip column for gaming related industry bullshit.

Also, SA needs better merchandise. Shirts, desktop figurines, hats, sex toys fatty jerky. Lean into the weird history of this site and make strange poo poo that people will buy at high markup. You can even handle the sales and distribution of these things via third party, so it doesn't affect your streaming schedule.

Japanese eye
Jun 27, 2018

by Reene
Sell frog dogs on goldbelly ftw

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Weedle posted:

Was it Lottie Bevan? She's the other half of his current studio.

Yeah that was her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a particular reason (i.e. timing, personnel) why you believe the frontpage can successfully be monetized now when, from my understanding, such attempts have not been successful in the past?.
I've never tried in the past.