Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ghosTTy posted:

They say the older you get the quicker time seems to pass, but still believing crypto fud from 2011? Wow, it stinks of mothballs in here

So no then? Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

ghosTTy posted:

Various charts

You're pointing to illusions and going "SEE, SEE!"

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Sickening posted:

So no then? Lmao

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

What kind of interest rate do you get with "your" savings account?

I get about 13%

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

ghosTTy posted:

There is a relationship between interest rates and risk, you know, at least in the world of the dirty fiat currency.

If smart-contract lending gets big enough to impact major governments debt operations, you know those governments are going to want a piece of that DeFi action, or will find a way to shut it down or disrupt DeFi operations.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 27, 2020

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

ghosTTy posted:

OK coiner.

Last year, about 11%. Because I'm dumb and pick single stocks. Had I gone with a safer market fund, twice that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

has nobody made an actual crypto named buttcoin yet

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

has nobody made an actual crypto named buttcoin yet
of course there is, and they seek vengeance
https://twitter.com/0xbutt/status/1185681411832995841

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
well i invested in pirateat40, so my annual interest is somewhere in the ballpark of 700000% actually

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lol poo poo ghostty is still around, what's the LD50 on that koolaid anyway

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McSpanky posted:

lol poo poo ghostty is still around, what's the LD50 on that koolaid anyway
Unfortunately the lethal dose on smugposting has yet to be found, as practicioners tend to be destroyed by the mods beforehand in order to protect Mark Karpeles, Lowtax's shadow partner

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
do these "smart" contracts enforce payback of loans, or is this just a nice house of cards until someone flakes out

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
In all seriousness please explain what we're looking at here. What is this a chart of?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Number go up is the main and only take away.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Splicer posted:

In all seriousness please explain what we're looking at here. What is this a chart of?

Almost a billion dollars of real money locked away in a currency that has limited use

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fried Watermelon posted:

Almost a billion dollars of real money locked away in a currency that has limited use
OK but is this actually invested money or one of those last sell price x total tokens deals

If the former is this actually transferred money from users to the issuer or pinky promise money

If actually transferred where is the money now

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

OK but is this actually invested money or one of those last sell price x total tokens deals

If the former is this actually transferred money from users to the issuer or pinky promise money

If actually transferred where is the money now

It looks like a "stable" "coin," but(t) regardless, my guess is 99% wash trading.

Without doing any research (because lol), it looks to be a (micro)loan platform? so, I'm guessing that most of the "money" is the people setting up the scamplatform lending themselves the money and 1% rubes (like ghost titty) putting in money for loans to the ordinal scammers cleverly disguised using a magic marker mustache, and that money will magically disappear when the modem disconnects.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

ymgve posted:

do these "smart" contracts enforce payback of loans, or is this just a nice house of cards until someone flakes out

google defi liquidators -- there is an incentive system built around liquidating defi arrangements so that loan liquidity providers get paid back if principal is at risk

may not be answer to your question, but yes there is enforcement

there are other risks though, hence the interest.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Fried Watermelon posted:

Not an expert and have not yet used defi, but the way I understand it is that people lock up BTC/ETH or some other digital token as collateral, and they receive an amount of a stablecoin (a coin whose value is pegged to USD) worth less than what they locked up. The amounts of collateral you need to put up and interest rates/etc depend on the platform.

Then they use that stablecoin to buy stuff... like goods and services, lambos, or more ETH or BTC (equivalent to using leverage) if you are the degen moonboi pro-trader type.

Pay the original loan back and you are good to go, don't and you get liquidated and lose your collateral.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I assume Ghossttyyy is not the dude who like a year ago said “I’ve made X dollars in profit and I’m gonna pull my money out” and then another goon was like “let us know when you actually get it out” and then the original dude never posted again?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Stablecoin

I can't stop :laffo:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sickening posted:

Stablecoin

I can't stop :laffo:
Listen man, nobody is going to want to margin trade using gift certificates so we need to jazz it up somehow.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2020/01/27/update-twitters-jack-dorsey-is-making-bitcoin-as-common-as-cash/

What a surprise that borderline-nazi Jack Dorsey likes bitcoin.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
I thought Mosaic Perception ate a perma? Now he's back posting singleton images and poo poo. Weird.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dhrusis posted:

there are other risks though, hence the interest.

is one of the risks "the people running it are not based in the US or other country with good financial enforcement, and have no IRL presence to go after if the whole thing turns into a poof of smoke along with everyone's coins"?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

the people running it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

I assume Ghossttyyy is not the dude who like a year ago said “I’ve made X dollars in profit and I’m gonna pull my money out” and then another goon was like “let us know when you actually get it out” and then the original dude never posted again?

i mean bitcoin has all the sort of flaws that we talk about here but it's really not hard at all to pull pretty much any amount out of bitcoin through an exchange like coinbase or something at this point

I would personally absolutely not invest in bitcoin but the idea that you can't withdraw it is pretty outdated

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Klyith posted:

is one of the risks "the people running it are not based in the US or other country with good financial enforcement, and have no IRL presence to go after if the whole thing turns into a poof of smoke along with everyone's coins"?

Seems like it's all smart contracts so there are no actual people running it, just code, and we all know code is perfect with no bugs or backdoors. It also seems like the borrowers have to put up collateral worth more than 100% of the value they're borrowing, which I guess is why the system isn't falling apart, but not why anyone would borrow on those terms.

I did a skim of the liquidators thing and I wonder - wouldn't it be cheaper for every borrower to be their own liquidator since they get a bonus for being one?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 29, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

i mean bitcoin has all the sort of flaws that we talk about here but it's really not hard at all to pull pretty much any amount out of bitcoin through an exchange like coinbase or something at this point

I would personally absolutely not invest in bitcoin but the idea that you can't withdraw it is pretty outdated

The debate isn't about it being possible, it's about how probable your stuff gets stolen while doing the steps through super sketchy non-existent "exchanges". There's a whole sub reddit full of idiots getting their fake money stolen, and that's the ones willing to admit it lol.

edit: also the identity theft kit you have to send a lot of them, again given the kind of people running these things.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

The debate isn't about it being possible, it's about how probable your stuff gets stolen while doing the steps through super sketchy non-existent "exchanges". There's a whole sub reddit full of idiots getting their fake money stolen, and that's the ones willing to admit it lol.

edit: also the identity theft kit you have to send a lot of them, again given the kind of people running these things.
It's not really an issue with legitimate exchanges like Coinbase and Gemini. If you want to not pay taxes on your gains or if your coins have a criminal origin then you have to roll the bones with Krazy Kumar's Koin Kastle and and he might steal your money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's not really an issue with legitimate exchanges like Coinbase and Gemini. If you want to not pay taxes on your gains or if your coins have a criminal origin then you have to roll the bones with Krazy Kumar's Koin Kastle and and he might steal your money.

Okay. You sell your bitcoin on an "exchange". What fee are you paying the exchange on the sale and what is the feel you pay to get the money out of the system? How much time does it take to get the money into your bank account?

And lol at "legitimate". Does this simply mean they haven't performed a major theft yet?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did some motherfucker just use the phrase "legitimate exchanges" in the loving bitcoin thread

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

Okay. You sell your bitcoin on an "exchange". What fee are you paying the exchange on the sale and what is the feel you pay to get the money out of the system? How much time does it take to get the money into your bank account?

And lol at "legitimate". Does this simply mean they haven't performed a major theft yet?
Coinbase's and Gemini's fees are not a secret. Most people report it taking 1-2 days for a withdrawal to hit your bank account.

Goons really need to update their bitcoin memes. It hasn't been hard to sell bitcoin for a long time as long as you're not also trying to engage in money laundering or tax evasion.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Coinbase's and Gemini's fees are not a secret. Most people report it taking 1-2 days for a withdrawal to hit your bank account.

Goons really need to update their bitcoin memes. It hasn't been hard to sell bitcoin for a long time as long as you're not also trying to engage in money laundering or tax evasion.

I am not going to look it up on whatever website you linked there. I didn't say it was a secret or imply it was. I asked a a goon who touches the poop what the information is.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Oh yes coinbase, such a great reputation they have!

https://mashable.com/article/sec-coinbase-complaints-fraud/

and their subreddit at a glance is a total poo poo show. Yep, I sure would trust these people with my money :downs:

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

LethalGeek posted:

and their subreddit at a glance is a total poo poo show. Yep, I sure would trust these people with my money :downs:

https://www.coinbase.com/legal/licenses

Coinbase also does institutional custody IIRC

I've seen worse

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

ymgve posted:

Seems like it's all smart contracts so there are no actual people running it, just code, and we all know code is perfect with no bugs or backdoors. It also seems like the borrowers have to put up collateral worth more than 100% of the value they're borrowing, which I guess is why the system isn't falling apart, but not why anyone would borrow on those terms.

I did a skim of the liquidators thing and I wonder - wouldn't it be cheaper for every borrower to be their own liquidator since they get a bonus for being one?

You would always want to pay your self back first -- it is a LOAN after all, right? The fact that you aren't getting liquidated by repaying your own loan is your bonus for not being liquidated. :)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Most of those complaints are from around the 2017 bubble.

Their subreddit is far from a "total poo poo show". There are a handful of people bitching about Coinbase enforcing KYC/AML laws and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Most of those complaints are from around the 2017 bubble.

Their subreddit is far from a "total poo poo show". There are a handful of people bitching about Coinbase enforcing KYC/AML laws and that's about it.

Repeat after me:

Exchanges aren't regulated

There's absolutely no way I would ever advise someone to transfer money into what is essentially a black box with absolutely no accountability.