Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember the Harvard guy going HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! and then it turned out the data he was looking at was bad and it was only 66% of what he thought it was and then two days later new numbers came in at 1.5x the original figure?

Having a good lmao remembering

seems there's still no certainty on the r0 number, another study came out last night from hong kong estimating it at like 2.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

seems there's still no certainty on the r0 number, another study came out last night from hong kong estimating it at like 2.1

Are these studies location specific or for the virus as-a-whole?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

don't know, it was based on a presentation not a paper that I could check, but I think it was talking about China as a whole

https://twitter.com/hayesluk/status...pagenumber%3D30

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Today, all media is online and there is also WeChat, Weibo and Douyin. Plus lots more. While censorship by the authorities is a reality, these platforms mostly comprise User Generated Content, meaning Chinese people are more informed and able to make up their own minds
I know there's a phrase for briefly mentioning a major flaw in your argument just so you can breeze past it as fast as possible.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I teach in China and my school texted everyone today saying the next semester is getting pushed back a week. my amount of paid vacation just increased from 3 weeks to 4, for an increase of infinity% since I moved from america

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

don't know, it was based on a presentation not a paper that I could check, but I think it was talking about China as a whole

https://twitter.com/hayesluk/status...pagenumber%3D30

that dude looks like a wax figure

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

we got a real debbie downer over here

going to contact Little Debbie tonight and tell them to make an alcoholic snack cake called Debbie Downers

How long until The Wuhan Secret mutates to spread through our posts?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are you kidding? This is the most fun I've had in months.

Are you ok? Your posts make you sound like someone who needs help

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1221817756170850305

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Trusting R values coming out in the early stages of an epidemic, when there's going to be a sudden conversion from uncounted to counted cases and unclear reporting, is not really a smart move.

R2.13 is still plenty bad tho.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1221782244525858819?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lmao it's in DC

Pissbaby is going to shut down the borders

https://twitter.com/fox5dc/status/1221815166532227073

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's NBD imo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lmao it's in DC

:yeshaha:

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lmao it's in DC

Stay safe, berno.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

Trusting R values coming out in the early stages of an epidemic, when there's going to be a sudden conversion from uncounted to counted cases and unclear reporting, is not really a smart move.

R2.13 is still plenty bad tho.

If the virus actually emerged a month earlier than originally thought, as that one report said yesterday, wouldn't that be an argument for a lower R value?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

If the virus actually emerged a month earlier than originally thought, as that one report said yesterday, wouldn't that be an argument for a lower R value?

we are in early stages of understanding the virus in general and all reporting and tweeting should be evaluated through that lens.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hard-R value

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schnorkles posted:

we are in early stages of understanding the virus in general and all reporting and tweeting should be evaluated through that lens.

This sort of reckless sluggishness is going to get people killed by the global megavirus Schnorkles

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

This sort of reckless sluggishness is going to get people killed by the global megavirus Schnorkles

good news, initial reports from people who actually know what they're doing is that the lockdown China is doing right now is probably one of the worst possible things that they could do because its both too late and too permeable.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1221326661930622976?s=19

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

smh the one time a heavy hand is extremely reasonable the ccp goes soft

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Crash vaccine development, aggressive clinical trials, etc. still puts this probably around 3 months off if everything goes real well. i guess they could jam it through a bit faster if they really decide to ignore safety trials

tough to know how effective it will be too.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Schnorkles posted:

excuse me sir, this is C-SPAM

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

i guess they could jam it through a bit faster if they really decide to ignore safety trials

lol it’s China

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There are multiple public health agencies and drug companies working on a vaccine now.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lol it’s China

good news, we have a vaccine that works in 80% of cases

bad news, it kills you in new, exciting ways!

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
CLOSE THE BORDERS TRUMP!!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hard-R value

Uhhh traveling/super mods???

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

There are multiple public health agencies and drug companies working on a vaccine now.

they announced it and all the major vaccine research companies stock went up by like 15% overnight lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the WHO did a live Q&A and here are some of the takeaways:

• the virus doesn't survive long enough on objects for you to be in danger if you receive mail from Wuhan
  • not many children have been infected
  • stay 3 to 6 feet away from infected people to avoid infection yourself (imo this implies that the virus itself is not airborne, so as long as you avoid the water droplets from someone's mouth you're probably okay)
  • it's difficult for an infected person to spread the virus without coughing or sneezing, but this requires more research
  • no evidence so far that the virus is mutating

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

This thing spreads just by breathing and talking. Coughing into your elbow isn't going to do poo poo.

it's going to corrupt my elbow with further viral mutation and give me a Mancubus arm

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

vyelkin posted:

• the virus doesn't survive long enough on objects for you to be in danger if you receive mail from Wuhan
  • stay 3 to 6 feet away from infected people to avoid infection yourself (imo this implies that the virus itself is not airborne, so as long as you avoid the water droplets from someone's mouth you're probably okay)
  • it's difficult for an infected person to spread the virus without coughing or sneezing, but this requires more research

pff, what do those eggheads know? they have probably been infected and their minds been hijacked by it.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

vyelkin posted:

• panic
  • panic
  • panic
  • PANIC
  • PANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

vyelkin posted:

Assuming fluid transmission and not airborne transmission, it will be significantly easier to quarantine and isolate new outbreaks of the virus even with both the long incubation period and seeming contagiousness during said incubation period.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Ora Tzo posted:

Just wondering, if you get exposed to the virus and recover you get immune to it right?

I think short term yes.

Unless it mutates into a new strain, and then probably no.

But if it mutates and you get it, it MIGHT be easier for your body to deal with than someone who never got it. But maybe not.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Those WHO scientists are just 5 trillion coronavirii in a trenchcoat, you can't fool me!!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

Those WHO scientists are just 5 trillion coronavirii in a trenchcoat, you can't fool me!!

*laughs flu-eshly*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Nice, good luck, have fun, stay healthy