Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah they aren’t great it would be cool if SA was the one place on earth where Donald Trump isn’t discussed

Speak for yourself, the tormp thread is funnier then it has any right to be.

quote:

Watching the FYAD refugees coming in here to fall on their swords is funny though.
It's like eating popcorn - heathy and tasty! :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Lowtax posted:

I really don't know where this oppressive, overwhelmingly negative attitude the community has adopted derives from. There used to be a time where GBS was fun. Now everybody seems fatally cynical and it almost seems like people here want it to fail. I don't get it, like even from the angle of self preservation, it makes zero sense to see so many people almost actively giving up and wanting the place to fail.

It mostly comes from the political forums and seems to be very effective.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

StratGoatCom posted:

Speak for yourself, the tormp thread is funnier then it has any right to be.

It's like eating popcorn - heathy and tasty! :yum:

i thought all those people left

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

I reminded a friend to stop donating to the lowtax patreon today and they did

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Awesome

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cum posted:

Also delete the political forums and watch everybody's morale skyrocket.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah they aren’t great it would be cool if SA was the one place on earth where Donald Trump isn’t discussed

Yeah let's ban political discussion in an era where more people are engaged with politics than ever. Really got your finger on the pulse there bud

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Lowtax posted:

I've been running this place for two decades now. What makes you think I suddenly now wil agree to head in that angle, when I've had plenty of opportunities in the past to do so, and turned them down because that's not what I ever envisioned the site being? I don't want to try to run or manage a bunch of loving poo poo, I don't want to become a fucken manager, I have zero interest, and have consistently demonstrated zero interest, into turning SA into a dump like BuzzFeed. I really don't know where this oppressive, overwhelmingly negative attitude the community has adopted derives from. There used to be a time where GBS was fun. Now everybody seems fatally cynical and it almost seems like people here want it to fail. I don't get it, like even from the angle of self preservation, it makes zero sense to see so many people almost actively giving up and wanting the place to fail.

whoa whoa buddy. im only half joking, it's something ive thought about before. we have an awesome basketball thread full of good writers and knowledgeable people, I'm sure the same is true for a bunch of other forums/fields

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weedle posted:

Yeah let's ban political discussion in an era where more people are engaged with politics than ever. Really got your finger on the pulse there bud

Very well, I'll compromise: RFA all the political forums. Good use of forums cancer.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The politics forums in SA serve as mental illness and unhappiness generators and as long as they exist the general forum atmosphere will slid further and further into fatalism.

tormp lol

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Weedle posted:

Posting Is Praxis so therefore everyone needs to be miserable and post about Turnip 24/7. only class traitors wants to ignore politics for a few hours a day

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
sell SA to that japanese company in robocop 3

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Live Free posted:

i thought all those people left

I wish, they seem intent on dragging down the rest of the forums to join them and have been threadshitting in QCS nonstop. :smith:

ulvir posted:

Posting Is Praxis so therefore everyone needs to be miserable and post about Turnip 24/7. only class traitors wants to
Consider that the FYAD bullshit made impossible for some of us to 'ignore politics for a few hours a day'. Edit: No joke, deleting the politics subforums or making them forums cancer or whatever would probably be the inflection point for the end of the site.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 27, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

StratGoatCom posted:

I wish, they seem intent on dragging down the rest of the forums to join them and have been threadshitting in QCS nonstop. :smith:

Consider that the FYAD bullshit made impossible for some of us to 'ignore politics for a few hours a day'.

sounds like a good excuse to delete d&d and all its subforums.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

big nipples big life posted:

sounds like a good excuse to delete d&d and all its subforums.

i agree with this post

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
like 100% i am a jokester who can't turn it off. but I've been around here since like 99/00, read your quake map stuff etc. i don't actively want this site to fail.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

By FYAD bullshit, I meant FYAD buying AVs that harassed some minority users and other bullshit.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Brolander posted:

whoa whoa buddy. im only half joking, it's something ive thought about before. we have an awesome basketball thread full of good writers and knowledgeable people, I'm sure the same is true for a bunch of other forums/fields

another thing kinda bounced around in the frontpage thread is having goons submit longer articles for the frontpage. this way there is more articles, from more people, without folk getting burnt out or learning to hate their writing job.

i do think that if the mods of AI or TFR or SAS or YOSPOS or whatever posted a thread about producing a frontpage quality article about their specific interest we could end up with some incredibly funny and specific things.

i am not a car dude, really, but it turns out AI is full of really funny posters who are incredibly creative, and a hour in photoshop and i could mock up a fairly decent cover/inside pages for a hot rod mag.

i dunno, i'm not a marketing manager or anything, i'm a weird nerd.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

cum posted:

Also delete the political forums and watch everybody's morale skyrocket.

You would only move politics discussion to other forums and in general I don't think it's a good idea to ruin people's enjoyment of the site for no reason, deleting forums should only be reserved for extreme cases.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hey how about if you dont like the politics forums fuckin dont go in there instead of calling for them to be shut down because you find the """""atmosphere""""" off-putting or whatever. fuckin lol. gosh if it werent for those dang forums i wouldnt ever have to think about anything bad happening and i could just play video games and jack my dick and be happy

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

hey how about if you dont like the politics forums fuckin dont go in there instead of calling for them to be shut down because you find the """""atmosphere""""" off-putting or whatever. fuckin lol. gosh if it werent for those dang forums i wouldnt ever have to think about anything bad happening and i could just play video games and jack my dick and be happy

if you think this is a bad post imagine if people like me were all over the loving place all the time

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Heather Papps posted:

another thing kinda bounced around in the frontpage thread is having goons submit longer articles for the frontpage. this way there is more articles, from more people, without folk getting burnt out or learning to hate their writing job.

i do think that if the mods of AI or TFR or SAS or YOSPOS or whatever posted a thread about producing a frontpage quality article about their specific interest we could end up with some incredibly funny and specific things.

i am not a car dude, really, but it turns out AI is full of really funny posters who are incredibly creative, and a hour in photoshop and i could mock up a fairly decent cover/inside pages for a hot rod mag.

As I said, Awful Tech would be a winning column and we missed a march by letting Internet Of poo poo be a Twitter thing instead of an SA frontpage feature.

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Incessant Excess posted:

You would only move politics discussion to other forums and in general I don't think it's a good idea to ruin people's enjoyment of the site for no reason, deleting forums should only be reserved for extreme cases.

Judging by the type of posters these forums produce, I believe it is indeed an extreme case.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Weedle posted:

I never understood the whole getting offended/upset at forum posts. They are just posts by people you are never going to meet, so they are pretty easy to ignore.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Weedle posted:

hey how about if you dont like the politics forums fuckin dont go in there

:thunk:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Weedle posted:

The good work in DnD is saving the world. Keep up the good fight!

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weedle posted:

Badass. I didn't think anybody would resurrect the "don't like it don't read it" excuse.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

I never go to D&D, but D&D gave us Caro so it is the best forum on this website.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yo this forum is one of the few good and fun places left with more than a dozen users to post on the internet. if lowtax wants to bring someone in to scam VCs into paying server costs or drug money, who cares? if she turns out to be a charlatan, that just adds another shell to SA’s 10000 layer misguided business venture gobstopper (probably grape flavor) and nothing changes. or maybe she’ll succeed and things will get a bit better? in any case, at least someone is trying.

so chill, have fun, and be thankful you’re not posting on some other platform where nazis flourish like lice in a teeming monetized jungle.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I mean, the politics subforums are some of the most active, and if you banned them, you'd lose the insulting AV revenue and folks participating in campaigns and the ill will would probably lead other users to leave too. It would be an utterly stupid move.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Weedle posted:

first part ironically, second part unironically

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Incitatus posted:

I never understood the whole getting offended/upset at forum posts. They are just posts by people you are never going to meet, so they are pretty easy to ignore.

yeah it's weird. i mean there are clearly above and beyond bullshit activities, but for the most part i can't imagine the mindframe that engages on a crusade in some weird attempt at vengeance, for a post.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Heather Papps posted:

honestly with car talk gone there's a need for a replacement podcast that's heavy on automotive expertise, gasping laughter, and twincest.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

cum posted:

The userbase gives up and turns cynical when the owner of the website gives up and stays hands-off for over a decade.
You seem to forget that the entire reason I left the forums was due to the overwhelming voice of users claiming the forums were popular in spite of me, not because of me. The loudest people were the ones replying to all front page content as "THERE'S A FRONT PAGE?" and the ones complaining my heavy handed moderation was directly leading to the downfall of the forums. So I said gently caress it, I'll spend more time with my family instead.

Now I come back and the reason the forums are so negative is because I've been gone for so long and haven't been moderating, and there's hardly any front page content. I try to appease the FYAD people by having a different FYAD created, and I'm called a transphobe and my patreon drops by $1000 a month. Then I close FYAD and I'm branded as somebody who hates comedy and my patreon drops by another $500 a month. Plus now I've got people who've been here for over a decade and know I've never assaulted a single person in my life, now buying into and spreading the bullshit that I spontaneously started beating my wife and child for half a decade.

It's just a very overwhelming period for me right now, and the options I have at my disposal are extremely limited. Even when I do completely clear my name of all these completely false abuse accusations, people won't retract their initial claims and start spreading the message "WHOOPS! GUESS I WAS WRONG! LOWTAX DIDN'T ABUSE ANYBODY!"

So it just feels like an overwhelming clusterfuck right now, and it's somewhat frustrating.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Bad Purchase posted:

so chill, have fun, and be thankful you’re not posting on some other platform where nazis flourish like lice in a teeming monetized jungle.

wisdom

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I'm not closing D&D

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In general, I see that places that aggressively corral if not completely excise any and all political talk tend to be happier and funnier.

Also I find it hilarious that the people complaining of FYAD way past after its death and about FYAD refugees like some kind of pink bogeyman are the same ones that think posting "Trump" in increasingly misspelled ways every single minute of the day is the zenith of comedy.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Lowtax posted:

somewhat frustrating.

the master of comedic understatement

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

You seem to forget that the entire reason I left the forums was due to the overwhelming voice of users claiming the forums were popular in spite of me, not because of me. The loudest people were the ones replying to all front page content as "THERE'S A FRONT PAGE?" and the ones complaining my heavy handed moderation was directly leading to the downfall of the forums. So I said gently caress it, I'll spend more time with my family instead.

Now I come back and the reason the forums are so negative is because I've been gone for so long and haven't been moderating, and there's hardly any front page content. I try to appease the FYAD people by having a different FYAD created, and I'm called a transphobe and my patreon drops by $1000 a month. Then I close FYAD and I'm branded as somebody who hates comedy and my patreon drops by another $500 a month. Plus now I've got people who've been here for over a decade and know I've never assaulted a single person in my life, now buying into and spreading the bullshit that I spontaneously started beating my wife and child for half a decade.

It's just a very overwhelming period for me right now, and the options I have at my disposal are extremely limited. Even when I do completely clear my name of all these completely false abuse accusations, people won't retract their initial claims and start spreading the message "WHOOPS! GUESS I WAS WRONG! LOWTAX DIDN'T ABUSE ANYBODY!"

So it just feels like an overwhelming clusterfuck right now, and it's somewhat frustrating.

I absolutely don't blame you for being frustrated, given what you're going through right now. However you probably know you're always going to be a target of cheap shots and you will never appease everybody. The thing is you've tried to appease both sides and people would rather have you stick to one side. I'd say stick to what you think is right, as it is your website and your decisions are what made it what it is (was).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

StratGoatCom posted:

By FYAD bullshit, I meant FYAD buying AVs that harassed some minority users and other bullshit.

Untrue.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

qnqnx posted:

In general, I see that places that aggressively corral if not completely excise any and all political talk tend to be happier and funnier.

Also I find it hilarious that the people complaining of FYAD way past after its death and about FYAD refugees like some kind of pink bogeyman are the same ones that think posting "Trump" in increasingly misspelled ways every single minute of the day is the zenith of comedy.

Fyad people have been completely fine I’m not sure where people are getting the hate from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

That's the price of being a public figure. Everything you do is correct/wrong and every opinion you hold is offensive/too accomadating. Whatever you do there will always be a group that feels like you are the worst person on the Earth.

Honestly do what makes you happiest with the forum. If you want a new FYAD do it, if you want to shut down half of the forums why not? It's your business first and foremost and its important to be happy with it. Don't try to appease everyone because you'll just drive yourself insane trying to do that.