Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

RoboRodent posted:

Oh no, I don't have the right type of feathers to offer!

'Tiel colors are some of the most popular fly tying colors, apparently. Also, they are willing to trade finished lures for feathers.

And awww, I love Alex.

Halloween Jack posted:

I never did the roll call so I'm doing it now

Nemo

Likes: Christmas trees, Christmas lights, Star Wars, The Pretenders, seeds
Dislikes: Everything else

Ozy

Class: Dragoon
Dislikes: Brooms, ladders, hats, anything red

Chirpy

Race: Pixie
# of Little Houses: 6?

Agrippa

Class: Berzerker
Dislikes: posing for photos
Bites: Y

I love this and I love the roll call idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
We should really do a Birdie Roll Call. It helps new people and lurkers put a bird face with a bird name.

:derptiel:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Name: Amadeus Rex Van de Kamp Everything
Pros: Just the best.
Cons: Just the worst.
Fun Fact #1: Yes, I know what I said.
Fun Fact #2: He is my best friend and I love him so much.

Name: Charlemagne Xavier
Pros: A sweet loyal nugget who just wants to watch me all day with his crazy-eyes.
Cons: Have you seen those crazy-eyes?
Fun Fact #1: Don't worry, you get used to them.
Fun Fact #2: Hatched on Valentine's Day :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 25, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Name: Serra the Cockatiel
Pros: Little sassy bird who is both simultaneously eating and scared of everything. Chonky.
Cons: Little bossy bird that wants to lay eggs on everything, including me. Very chonky.
Fun Fact #1: Has physically laid three eggs on my person.
Fun Fact #2: Has egg crates in the bottom of her cage to prevent her from laying eggs.

Name: Yellow and Blue the Parakeets
Pros: Constantly having a 24/7 parakeet soap opera with each other.
Cons: Yellow is called the Little Ball of Hate by my father. He isn't wrong.
Fun Fact #1: Blue has nursed Yellow back to health after she had a health event that left he not eating.
Fun Fact #2: Yellow has been nice to Blue one or two times.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Name: Sir Serendipity Seven-Toes
Alias: Sera
Class: Bard
Pros: A cuddler, a sweetheart, has been with me since he was barely weaned and I genuinely think he believes me to be his mother, a lover and not a fighter
Cons: a dipshit, a sassy boi, has a degree of separation anxiety and throws occasional tantrums about it, aggressively goes after my food and occasionally begs me to regurgitate for him (but never the reverse)
Comments: He has a girlfriend, a Barbie doll that I bought for an art project but he immediately claimed. Her name is Raquel. He sits and preens her.

Name: Mister Oscar Beepington
Alias: Ozzy
Class: Barbarian
Con: pathologically afraid of hands, EXTREMELY LOUD AT ALL TIMES, is prone to fits of boiling rage and blinding fear, bites and bites hard, aggressively defends his personal space from bird or goon, aloof as hell
Pro: Sometimes likes to sit quietly with me and will take a bit of food if it extends far enough from my fingertips, learned to fly by face planting in my hallway, is smart enough to listen to verbal cues when I ask him to go somewhere and do something if only because by obeying he doesn't have to cooperate with the dreaded "step up", the fact that he has tried so hard to get to this point and he's come so far and I am so proud of him I could cry
Comment: Really and fascinatingly taken with watching me play Stardew Valley lately. Not other games. Only Stardew Valley.

Edit: for the record, Ozzy hates Raquel.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 25, 2020

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ooh character classes :3:

Amadeus: Fighter. Specializes in Dirty Tricks.
Charlemagne: Paladin. Combat bonus when defending party members.

Also :lmao: at Yellow & Blue Fun Fact #2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/xFTTSvW.mp4

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Name: Nicky
Class: Monk.
Pros: So goddamn fluffy, loves headrubs, especially right after she wakes up, loves playtime and the clean-up game, way too smart. Has given up trying to be bitey since it yielded no success.
Cons: Way too smart. LOUD. Occasionally gets obsessive with overpreening and can hurt herself, especially when the air is dry, and has to wear a vest, which she hates but gets used to. Forever cautious with trusting hands/people.
Comments: Oh my goodness is Nicky a different bird than she was the 3+ years ago when we got her. She eats healthy foods now, plays more, explores more, and is generally content.
Current status: Determining if a toy helps her destroy a paper towel roll.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GROAN

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

It's true.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Birds are way, way smarter than they get credit for.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Name: Nicky
Class: Monk.
Pros: So goddamn fluffy, loves headrubs, especially right after she wakes up, loves playtime and the clean-up game, way too smart. Has given up trying to be bitey since it yielded no success.
Cons: Way too smart. LOUD. Occasionally gets obsessive with overpreening and can hurt herself, especially when the air is dry, and has to wear a vest, which she hates but gets used to. Forever cautious with trusting hands/people.
Comments: Oh my goodness is Nicky a different bird than she was the 3+ years ago when we got her. She eats healthy foods now, plays more, explores more, and is generally content.
Current status: Determining if a toy helps her destroy a paper towel roll.

I love this little white floof.

My living situation would have to change, but I have dreams to someday own a rose breasted cockatoo. In my experience playing with them they are just big goofy cockatiels. :derptiel:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Well, I'm an idiot and left an orchid that I got to rebloom somewhere that was very accessible to the budgies and they've predictably destroyed it all the flowers lmao. Orchids are perfectly safe to be munched on, at least.

Name: Pesto
Occupation: Gardener (plants and successfully germinates his bird seeds, poops on plants for nitrogen content, prunes flowers)
Pros: Jovial, constant source of burble sounds; comfortable weight when perched on a finger; cute.
Cons: constant source of sCREECHEEECHEE!!; too "in your face" with ladies; seed vacuum.

Name: Mayo
Class: Mechanic (favorite thing is tinkering with levers and handles, finding and jostling loose screws, breaki-err I mean, repurposing things)
Pros: A quieter somewhat more dignified* personality; although skittish she might randomly perch on your head or shoulder out of nowhere; cute.
Cons: Easily spooked; her modifications to the home (stripping the sealing off the patio doors, removing caulking) aren't always appreciated; her love of dislodgement means food bowls are often on the floor.
*has once had a turd on her face for a while and made it difficult to remove it.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Name: Pippu
Pros: Cute!!! Very sociable. Curiously well behaved with visitors
Cons: big puberty, wants a nest or something, loves to eat turds

Name: Svanhild and Anton
Pros: Tiniest birds. Extremely adorable. Beeps and toots constantly
Cons: ANGERY. Indecipherable needs and wants. Alternates between preening/sleeping/bathing together and hissing at each other like snakes multiple times a day. Can be yuor devil or your angle. (I love them)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Man I really wish finches were capable of parrot levels of affection because they're so painfully cute. Like one of the cutest animals ever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
It’s been just about a week since we lost Hedy, and I’m still tearing up when I find her feathers. Alex still calls for her on wake up and just before bed (it was funny, she used to really harass him about going to bed at the same time every night, going in and out and chirpnagging him until he relented), which is about five minutes of really loud contact calls, followed by his begging calls. Which, yeah. Heartbreaking. But we’re getting through it.

Meanwhile, somebody is enjoying his blueberries:

https://i.imgur.com/8fkjXD2.mp4

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 27, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/770356771/bird-cookie-cutter-set-cockatiel?ref=shop_home_feat_2

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Goffin cockatoos have amazing facial expressions.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Just ordered a cockatiel and parakeet cookie cutter. I bake for people I like, including the bird store down the road. They are going to get so many cookings now! :derptiel:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I just realized you guys might get a kick out of the trophies my so and i made for a local birb show

lol we’re basically the only reason the club made money last year since we did everything at materials cost

To be clear the artwork is all either public domain or licensed.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

e:

iRend fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 27, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Just ordered a cockatiel and parakeet cookie cutter. I bake for people I like, including the bird store down the road. They are going to get so many cookings now! :derptiel:

:hfive:

Getting some so I can make cookies for my sister, and then ask her if she wants the cookie cutters or just the cookies sent periodically

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIGAKpogTw

sound on. watch till the end.

iRend fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 27, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

I just realized you guys might get a kick out of the trophies my so and i made for a local birb show

lol we’re basically the only reason the club made money last year since we did everything at materials cost

Oh mah gawd. I wanna compete in those shows.

Serra could definitely get some largest (fattest I don’t care what the vet says) adult cockatiel awards.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I can't imagine judging cockatiels. How are any of them anything but the best?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pig :kimchi:

mediaphage posted:

I love love love all of these. And Alex with his blueberries is the best. :allears:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep that's a dinosaur.

RoboRodent posted:

I can't imagine judging cockatiels. How are any of them anything but the best?

Also this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
- No joke - Apparently it's considered desirable for show cockatiels to have a large weight. Not fat, but a big bird.

Maybe I've though A LOT about getting into bird shows.

- Birdie Roll Call - We should do this every new year. It's fun to get to see all of them and read their stat sheets.

- I've been covering the bird cages with different colors at night in an attempt to cut out any more potential night frights. When looking around my house for sheets, I Amazon'd two actual cage covers to my house. They were less than $25 each and have a flap in the front! I can check on the birds without taking the covers off!

Of course, a new cover means Serra has spent the last five minutes eagle posing at the cover and hissing a lot. :derptiel:

Example picture -

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
^^^^^^^^ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Australia day is budgie day.

Watch at 2x speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVskg5hMPA <- payoff 95% through

e: omg

iRend fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 27, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is Pookie

She is almost 20
Her alignment would veer toward chaotic good (as long as no-one crosses any of her many lines.)
She likes: spaghetti, cheese, rare steak, toffee, wooden things that can be destroyed, menacing the dog, climbing down and walking instead of flying like a proper bird.
She hates: Mirrors, weird looking dogs, some things that are very orange (but not other things that are orange), the sweeping brush
She really hates: the other sweeping brush
Other facts: She's very quiet for a parrot - most of her noises are gentle beeps and pings - text messages, microwaves, budgie chatter are all things she likes to copy.
She does a very good phone ringtone, so we habitually wait for the phone to ring again to see if its real or just her messing. She does a very accurate copy but her timing is off for the repeat.

She also like to keep an eye on things, just in case someone somewhere is up to no good, or maybe eating sweets.

mediaphage posted:

These are all marvellous, and I can not stop laughing at

It's just so Father Ted-ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrKxF3bnUY

Pookah fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 27, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If a thief was thinking about breaking into a place and saw a plotting grey, they would rightfully flee in terror.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/DeSouzaRN/status/1221343623926579200

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

She also like to keep an eye on things, just in case someone somewhere is up to no good, or maybe eating sweets.

I love this.

Pookah posted:

These are all marvellous, and I can not stop laughing at

Thanks much. I did all the prototypes with Worst Parrot 2019, which got some laughs. To be honest, I have pretty mixed feelings about bird shows. I’m not into all the ridiculous rules. And I don’t plan on ever entering Alex; he’d just be stressed and wondering why I left him alone. I don’t judge others for doing it; maybe I’m just too attached. Finches might be fun to do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm not into animal shows that judge them physically, as that gets into perfect breeding and that's a whole kettle of worms - I believe the breed standard for german shepherd dogs requires them to have busted rear end legs, which is one hell of a stupid standard. And you also can't enter in all the most perfect mutts - Apollo would win shows easily due to him being one hell of a cute dog, but he can't.

Instead I prefer animal talent shows. I'm trying to google some for birds but not finding them, but I think this counts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqtH5YWBMM

Basically bird talent shows would be amazing. Don't let dogs steal all the fun of showing off how fast or agile or clever they can be!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not into animal shows that judge them physically, as that gets into perfect breeding and that's a whole kettle of worms - I believe the breed standard for german shepherd dogs requires them to have busted rear end legs, which is one hell of a stupid standard. And you also can't enter in all the most perfect mutts - Apollo would win shows easily due to him being one hell of a cute dog, but he can't.

Instead I prefer animal talent shows. I'm trying to google some for birds but not finding them, but I think this counts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqtH5YWBMM

Basically bird talent shows would be amazing. Don't let dogs steal all the fun of showing off how fast or agile or clever they can be!

I tend to fall on this side of things, too. I don’t mind physical trait contests except when breeders go insane and really harm animals (snub-nosed dogs, etc). Our breeder does it but she’s very much a bird-health-first sort of person and refuses to interbreed relatives, etc.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

iRend posted:

^^^^^^^^ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Australia day is budgie day.

Watch at 2x speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVskg5hMPA <- payoff 95% through

e: omg

love that budge

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Name: Pion
Dislikes: Contact with other birds, getting wet feet
Super power: Pooping on walls
Personal goal: Getting better at destroying things
Recognize by: Yellow spots on the back of his head and his sassy expression

Name: Putni
Dislikes: Fingers, sharing food
Super power: Screaming at walls
Personal goal: Getting Pion to love him back
Recognize by: Missing one nail on his right foot, reluctant and careful movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
birdie roll call!!!

I'm so sick atm (was flu..chenged to a raging URI, and on a ton of meds...yay)...as soon as I am feeling halfway close to human again I will post my two and their stats. Till then, I'll just have to wait a little bit till I can actually concentrate enough to figure out how to do pics here again.

Thanks for posting yours tho... birdie pics always help!

ps my two have been so so good while I have been sick. I'm pretty sure I'll be paying for it later tho lol