Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Common Law countries use dots, Civil Law countries use commas.

The UK used to use the interpunct as a decimal but now uses the standard full stop, because ASCII.

126 is the final character in standard ASCII, a tilde ~. Nowhere uses this as a decimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The UK used to use the interpunct as a decimal but now uses the standard full stop, because ASCII.

Huh, I vaguely remember being taught that by someone that that explains why.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do comma havers still say the local equivalent of "point" though?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

baka kaba posted:

Do comma havers still say the local equivalent of "point" though?

In Germanica they say comma, and often say the decimals as an entire number. So one point two four becomes one comma twenty-four.

I believe in French they say either "virgule" or "point" depending on how syllabic they're feeling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, I vaguely remember being taught that by someone that that explains why.
Of course, because English grammar and notation is comprised entirely of two dozen style editors shouting at each other about the correct interpretation of the dying wishes of a group of 17th century Latin obsessed introverts, there's still places that require the interpunct, in the same way that there is Oxford and Cambridge spelling.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The reverse is also true for non decimal numbers right? 1,000,000 for us, 1.000.000 for the foreign fancy dans in the EU. Why

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Paperhouse posted:

The reverse is also true for non decimal numbers right? 1,000,000 for us, 1.000.000 for the foreign fancy dans in the EU. Why

Accepted notation is not to bother with commas any more and just separate long numbers by spaces.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably Napoleon's fault.

International standard is 1 000 000.00, so 1,000,000·00 and 1.000.000,00 are equally unhappy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I never used punctuation for numbers other than decimal points, just a space if you want better readability.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What, have I been wrong all my life writing it 1'000'000-00?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's 10;32

Up to you whether that means time, ratio, decimal, or currency.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I'm in a situation to split hairs over what I put between digits, I just look at how the person I'm writing for has done it in the past. If it's their thing to put a comma, dot or a poop emoji between the digits, yeah okay I'll do it like that whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
10🍆32

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pilchenstein posted:

Try not to notice how all the people who will one day piss themselves with fury about a girl holding a lightsaber have absolutely no problems with Admiral Blueman Goodateverything".

...which is doubly weird because Mara Jade is Thrawn's hitman :thunk:

thespaceinvader posted:

The reason droids are ignored and treated like chattel is most likely because nobody ever really considered the implications of them being sapient beings that were treated like chattel when writing the OT, because talking about restraining blts and routine memory wipes sounded cool and sci-fi, and that attitude pervaded.

How do you read the cantina scene, here? The "we don't serve their kind" line? It foregrounds both the droids status as people (the line makes no sense whatsoever otherwise) and their status as an oppressed class of person.

The slave auction is largely shot from their perspective, too: the viewer is aligned with (I think, memory's a bit vague) R2D2 when C3PO has to beg not to be separated from his friend in this weird hosed-up scenario where they're being sold.

Honestly, I think the subtext is intentional- what it's not is ever resolved.

I'm not a big prequels fan (in fact, I don't think I've ever managed to sit through the entirety of ROTS), but something I always found interesting about TPM was the juxtaposition of Qui-Gon's "[the Jedi] are not in the business of freeing slaves" with Anakin's "I dreamt that I went off to become a Jedi and came back and freed all the slaves". So, on the one hand you have this kid, at this point easily the most innocent and sympathetic character in the entire franchise, whose primary desire is to help his mother and who views Jedihood mostly as a means of freeing slaves, and on the other you have the actual Jedi, whose response to slavery is to care about it as little as he possibly can. By the time we see Anakin again in AOTC, he's this shambling wreck of a manchild whose best attempt at freeing the slaves is a massacre that produces 0 free slaves.

I always took that as an indication of how much of a loving shitpile the Jedi Order was, and how badly they did by Anakin.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I read it as space racism, for sure, btu I'm not sure it was directly linked to the slavery aspect.

I'm pretty sure the prequels were shooting for an explicit message that the Jedi were corrupt and lovely and not particularly better than the Sith, but as ever, Lucas just isn't that good a filmmaker. All the best oens have been largely or completely out of his hands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The jedi as the ultimate liberals is a reading I like given that I think the prequels are far more lovely about their treatment of droids than the originals.

Also the whole "you cannot possibly understand the deep and complex reasoning behind my utter apathy towards people's suffering but when you're older you'll understand why me sitting in the big fancy temple is the more important thing" element.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

What will you name your cat? :ohdear:

I can tell you've made this up because it's not ridiculous enough.

yeah star wars names have a weird and particular feel to them, like Dexter Jettster, BJ Dart or Guto Bebb

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The jedi as the ultimate liberals is a reading I like given that I think the prequels are far more lovely about their treatment of droids than the originals.
This is quite close to a reading common in the CineD threads, only they go further and claim that the Republic/New Republic/Resistance are all libs too. One detail I did find funny is someone saying they are clearly the liberals because no one likes them and they keep getting overthrown by fash.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CoolCab posted:

yeah star wars names have a weird and particular feel to them, like Dexter Jettster, BJ Dart or Guto Bebb

Elan Sleazebaggano

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

How do you read the cantina scene, here? The "we don't serve their kind" line? It foregrounds both the droids status as people (the line makes no sense whatsoever otherwise) and their status as an oppressed class of person.

The slave auction is largely shot from their perspective, too: the viewer is aligned with (I think, memory's a bit vague) R2D2 when C3PO has to beg not to be separated from his friend in this weird hosed-up scenario where they're being sold.

Honestly, I think the subtext is intentional- what it's not is ever resolved.

I'm not a big prequels fan (in fact, I don't think I've ever managed to sit through the entirety of ROTS), but something I always found interesting about TPM was the juxtaposition of Qui-Gon's "[the Jedi] are not in the business of freeing slaves" with Anakin's "I dreamt that I went off to become a Jedi and came back and freed all the slaves". So, on the one hand you have this kid, at this point easily the most innocent and sympathetic character in the entire franchise, whose primary desire is to help his mother and who views Jedihood mostly as a means of freeing slaves, and on the other you have the actual Jedi, whose response to slavery is to care about it as little as he possibly can. By the time we see Anakin again in AOTC, he's this shambling wreck of a manchild whose best attempt at freeing the slaves is a massacre that produces 0 free slaves.

I always took that as an indication of how much of a loving shitpile the Jedi Order was, and how badly they did by Anakin.

The reason R2D2 and C3PO are treated like this is because they're representations of the peasants, as in The Hidden Fortress. There's no real thought put into the treatment of droids in the universe beyond they are the peasant class.

There's no clever subtext in star wars, there's barely text.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 27, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's more specifically pointed out in the final battle in Return Of The Jedi, where the Rebels are explicitly shown to be a multi-species alliance with the battle commanded by a non-human, and of course the Viet Cong Furry Division are the ones wot won it.

Lucas' greatest crime was getting rid of yub nub.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

This is quite close to a reading common in the CineD threads, only they go further and claim that the Republic/New Republic/Resistance are all libs too. One detail I did find funny is someone saying they are clearly the liberals because no one likes them and they keep getting overthrown by fash.

I mean I haven't really been exposed to anything past return of the jedi so I can't comment but I would imagine the reading could continue to suggest that that form of society is inherently liberal and the galaxy is trapped in an endless cycle of the lovely government on coruscant vaccilating between fash and lib.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Lucas' greatest crime was getting rid of yub nub.
Is that the lesswrong guy?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

only to find it was the rebate amount per month during the transition period

[...] which necessitated yet another redesign of the 2020 Brexit 50p coin, this time to remove the comma after the word "prosperity". Thus, the phrase would, in accordance with resolutions §223:14-14:4, no longer enforce the implied 1:1 JPY-GBP conversion rate for the purposes of the future negotiations. the arcane application of advanced accountancy did not come without its costs--the brexit coin itself, though claiming a value of £0.50, cannot theoretically be accepted as legal tender in northern Ireland,

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I haven't really been exposed to anything past return of the jedi so I can't comment but I would imagine the reading could continue to suggest that that form of society is inherently liberal and the galaxy is trapped in an endless cycle of the lovely government on coruscant vaccilating between fash and lib.
Thats another part of the reading lol. You know how people keep quoting "Its like poetry. It rhymes" to mock George Lucas? (In fairness, it is a sentence that invites ridicule) Thats fundamentally what the reading moves towards.

I love that kind of poo poo. I was never a Star Wars kid and I've only watched a handful of the movies, but even I have lost entire evenings just skimming those threads. Its way more fun than the culturally default position of "the Star Wars prequels are unforgivably bad".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the prequels are as good as the originals (which is probably in no small part because I just like that era of cinema a lot more than subsequent ones) but you can still look at them and read things into them. I think they're probably more interesting than the originals if you want to do that because they're so... weird. Like they're so clearly a work of mostly one guy who was really up his own arse but that makes them really interesting to read, they're like a psychological profile of george lucas circa early 2000s. He's going for something, possibly many things, but the films are actually kinda hard to read, possibly because he's trying many things that only really make sense to him lol.

The later matrix movies go a similar way. Not as good as the original, but really loving weird which makes them interesting to try to interpret. Though in fairness so is the original in their case. Less weird but still interesting to read.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 27, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Huh, for "We don't serve your kind" I always went with the explanation a GM used in a Star Wars game - droids take up space but don't drink. That probably maps to something different but also horrible. :capitalism:
I think the work-around was like, buying overpriced water or something. Or maybe just disintegration.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 27, 2020

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I’m very late to the party here, but do we have the names and details on the staff that did this?

https://twitter.com/drgerke1/status/1221781278757965824?s=21

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Nerds didn't feel threatened by female characters back then because they (wrongly) believed nerd pursuits to be entirely boys stuff. It's probably why you still see dipshits proclaiming that you're not a "true" Star Wars Fan unless you've read the old EU stuff. Mara Jade is fine because girls didn't read the EU books, Rey is the worst thing to ever happen to popular culture because she actively inspires girls to like the star war and that will not stand :v:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Nerds didn't feel threatened by female characters back then because they (wrongly) believed nerd pursuits to be entirely boys stuff. It's probably why you still see dipshits proclaiming that you're not a "true" Star Wars Fan unless you've read the old EU stuff. Mara Jade is fine because girls didn't read the EU books, Rey is the worst thing to ever happen to popular culture because she actively inspires girls to like the star war and that will not stand :v:

The EU also has the Sex Robot (Guri?) turned elite assassin as well, the EU was bad.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 27, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Union question: how does one find out if one's employer 'recognises' (whatever that actually means) a general union like GMB or Unite?

Googling hasn't helped and i know you lot know these sorts of things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aramoro posted:

The EU also has the Sex Robot turned elite assassin as well, the EU was bad.

If you ever get sick of comment or commentariat you could replace it with Star Wars or Daily Star.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If you ever get sick of comment or commentariat you could replace it with Star Wars or Daily Star.

??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As in "I voted leave because EU has sex robot elite assassin" is a sentence that makes perfect sense in 2020.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are the Daily Star still terrified of black eyed ghost children?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Are the Daily Star still terrified of black eyed ghost children?

nah that's fixed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

willie_dee posted:

I’m very late to the party here, but do we have the names and details on the staff that did this?

https://twitter.com/drgerke1/status/1221781278757965824?s=21

Can't find any names, but this has been known about for a couple of years.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't find any names, but this has been known about for a couple of years.

quote:

Left-wing candidate Rebecca Long-Bailey has said that shadow cabinet files were deleted by a frontbench Labour colleague who resigned during the 2016 leadership challenge.

The contender to replace Jeremy Corbyn in the ongoing internal election was speaking at a retirement party for Ronnie Campbell, the former Labour MP for Blyth Valley who retired last month.

Long-Bailey appeared to suggest that a member of the shadow Treasury team in 2016 deleted shared files when MPs stepped down en-masse shortly before a leadership challenge took place.

She told the audience how she watched Rob Marris, then MP for Wolverhampton South West, resign from his shadow ministerial role during a committee meeting in parliament. Long-Bailey said he “flounced off”.

Describing the unfolding events, the Corbynite frontrunner added that she had a “feeling that something wasn’t right” and rushed back to her office where a staff member told her that shared files had gone.
https://labourlist.org/2020/01/long-bailey-says-2016-coup-plotters-deleted-shadow-cabinet-files/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Corbs really should have gone Full Purge.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He couldn't purge them, they're elected, and neither can any of the current leadership candidates, but open selections would be a good thing for ensuring the left keep a presence in the party and, potentially, a vehicle to start getting rid of the lovely ones.