Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I prefer 2 over 1 (though 2 was the first one I played), but after OTR I feel like they really lost what made the games fun. The combo weapons in 2 were really creative and a fun way to make scavenging rewarding. 3’s just felt goofy.

I preferred 2's gameplay in the sense that everything felt cleaner and better-executed, but even though it still had the tight time management stuff I somehow didn't get the same feeling of muted brutality I did from 1. Especially from the bosses- most of 2's encounters felt like fairly straightforward boss fights to me, but a lot of the psychos in 1 were way closer to "How the hell am I supposed to approach this" until you got your dude beefed up and/or figured out how to cheese them. (I also wonder if part of it wasn't just that Frank West was really fun- 'scumbag pulp journo' is a great viewpoint for a schlocky apocalypse comedy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm crud, thanks for the detailed review! It's weird to me how fast they lost the lead- DR1 was awesome, but even as early as 2 it felt like the team was focusing on the zombie action over survival horror.
Not sure I'd say that Dead Rising was ever survival horror. That really feels like a bit of a misunderstanding of what the early games were trying to do. They were pretty much always zombie action, with big swarms of basically harmless meatbags for you to blender through at will. The later games did lose touch with what made the series unique, but to me it felt more like they lost a certain... cleverness? They used to have about it. Can't really explain it better.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure I'd say that Dead Rising was ever survival horror. That really feels like a bit of a misunderstanding of what the early games were trying to do. They were pretty much always zombie action, with big swarms of basically harmless meatbags for you to blender through at will. The later games did lose touch with what made the series unique, but to me it felt more like they lost a certain... cleverness? They used to have about it. Can't really explain it better.

Hmm yeah, that's true... survival horror is definitely the wrong term, but at least for me the optimization and prioritization tasks were what really made DR1 so memorable-it wasn't just mowing through zombies, it was "Oh poo poo, I have 2 survivors with me, I just got a call about a new one in trouble, and I only have 90 minutes until the next story beat. Should I take these guys to safety first, or take a chance and try to get the other survivors all in one go? Okay, hmm, if I go through stores X, Y, and Z I can get to the new survivors without passing through any open spaces, but that won't give me a chance to pick up any weapons or healing items." It's not quite survival horror, but it felt a lot like a time-sensitive version of the police station in RE2 , except with goofy slapstick layered on top.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The idea of time limits in that game in particular was so stressful that I just stopped playing it. :|

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It can be stressful and annoying as hell, yeah, but at the same time, it was also really central to the whole idea. That whole iterative gameplay where you kept getting stronger and progressively better at herding groups of survivors in just the right order for maximum XP gains, that's what makes those games what they are. It also meant they had a very clear structure to each run, sort of like Majora's Mask - some things can only be done at certain times on certain days and it's your job to plan it out correctly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is kind of an inherently flawed analogy in some ways but Dead Rising at its best is kind of like Cultist Simulator or a few others games, it's a time management puzzle game that happens to have some sweet zombie murder in the sandwich somewhere.

Someone made a really good post/tweet/something that I can't find now about how Cultist Sim is a plate spinning game but occasionally someone will shoot at you while someone in the background shouts in foreign languages and a bunch of other stuff and I always got the same vibes from DR.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cardiovorax posted:

It can be stressful and annoying as hell, yeah, but at the same time, it was also really central to the whole idea. That whole iterative gameplay where you kept getting stronger and progressively better at herding groups of survivors in just the right order for maximum XP gains, that's what makes those games what they are. It also meant they had a very clear structure to each run, sort of like Majora's Mask - some things can only be done at certain times on certain days and it's your job to plan it out correctly.

Yeah I can emphasize with people who got turned off by the time management structure of the first two games, but the issue is that it's pretty core to what made those games feel special. Dead Rising is like a perfect example of a series that started as "fun for some, bad for others" and tried to get rid of the "bad for others" parts but just turned into a really mediocre game that isn't going to excite anybody.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

The idea of time limits in that game in particular was so stressful that I just stopped playing it. :|

I’m right there with you. I hated the first game for that, as I’m more of a slower paced completionist type player. I totally credit as a great game though for what it set out to do - it just wasn’t for me. DR3 I enjoyed as the time limit was so forgiving that it was almost non existent, and it almost had a sandbox feel to it. I disliked DR4 though. Something about it just wasn’t fun anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Orv posted:

This is kind of an inherently flawed analogy in some ways but Dead Rising at its best is kind of like Cultist Simulator or a few others games, it's a time management puzzle game that happens to have some sweet zombie murder in the sandwich somewhere.

Someone made a really good post/tweet/something that I can't find now about how Cultist Sim is a plate spinning game but occasionally someone will shoot at you while someone in the background shouts in foreign languages and a bunch of other stuff and I always got the same vibes from DR.
A casual time management game with a heavy focus on zombie action schlock is exactly how I'd describe Dead Rising.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The first two also had that thing I love where they rewarded knowledge of the mall by letting you sequence break and do stupidly difficult bullshit to give yourself a leg up. Like how in 1 you could trivialize a lot of early game rescues by dodge-rolling well enough to kill the gun store psycho ASAP, or how in 2 the optimal way to start (or at least how I always started) was by sprinting all the way around the map and killing the tiger psycho within the first chunk of gameplay before any survivors or objectives opened up.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Ok, quick opinions about my winter game purchases (and gift).

Not Sures

MO: Astray - Quite the pixel art looker with a weird juxtaposition of cute and grim. I bounced off the puzzle design and platforming style. Quite possibly an okay game for other people though. The writing switches from acceptable to really ham-fisted, but the setting and world-building felt pretty good.

Bright Memory - Some interesting ideas here with a fun combo combat involving guns and your sword. The real game will be Bright Memory: Infinite (BM owners will get it for free), so it might not be worth purchasing this one which is a very short experience that will function as a testing grounds for game mechanics/features instead of the full product that Infinite will be. *shrug* I want to see where it goes though.

Okay/Good

Siralim 3 - Mechanically dense, but exceptionally grindy. It takes a little too long to introduce the more interesting mechanics that allow you to edit your team to your liking via breeding or item enchantments and more. I can see why people spend dozens of hours on this one. I'm not going to be one of them, but I still had fun with it.

Amid Evil - Some of the worlds have some issues with their level design, but overall a fun old school shooter. Not the greatest, but had enough in there for me to reach the end. It has some really exciting battles, some questionable platforming/traps levels, and cool super modes for the weapons. The music is quite enjoyable.

Valfaris - Heavy metal soundtrack that shreds more than the company office equipment. I only had the ability to make it through four worlds. It's a difficult and demanding game that wants you at your best. It's also gorgeous to look at with all the vivid pixel art colors. I wasn't able to push myself further though.

Pretty Good

Sayonara: Wild Hearts - Short, fast, heartwarming. Another game with a nice soundtrack. Its style and presentation drew me in and I love how the characters pose during their battles.

Grim Dawn: Definitive Edition - I bought the DLCs and played through them after starting a new character and going through the original campaign. I enjoyed my time with them for the most part. The Grim Dawn level design though is based around specific pathing versus wide open maps like PoExile or Diablo 3. It can feel cramped and there's no real movement tech for zoom-zoom. Still a worthy ARPG experience with a story to follow, but that kind of level design makes traversal tedious and mind-numbing at times, especially when stairs start to become involved, which hurts the replay value for me. You will still find yourself spending dozens of hours killing thousands of monsters and I enjoy the two-class system. Maybe consider giving yourself super-speed through mods.

These guys are really good at making some disgusting environments.

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Speaking of disgusting environments, there's this amazing game. You will see some real nasty sights involving thousands upon thousands of hungry rats. The story seemed reasonably good and carried the game through its few boring/frustrating portions. I have a new respect for slings and enjoyed the stealthy (with a dash of action) gameplay. You die in one hit, so careful kills, takedowns, distractions, and movement are all vital to victory. I hated the last section that involved some nasty trial-and-error, but it was definitely something to behold. Great soundtrack to this one and it makes certain scenes that much more impactful. This game punches above its weight class.

Not a game for people that hate rats. They're really gross in Plague Tale.

Resident Evil 2: Remake - I beat this game five times. My GotY of 2019, followed very closely by A Plague Tale: Innocence. An expertly, lovingly crafted remake that brings an oldie into the modern age with some of the best wet effects I've seen. The gore and zombies are both found in great abundance with some top-notch survival inventory management and shooting zombie gameplay. Gosh darn. They also removed Denuvo. I kinda want to reinstall it so I can shoot more zombies. Why can't Capcom manage to produce gems like this with all their games? :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
On the off-chance that the Rocket League Linux/Mac news affects anyone here, Steam is now doing sight unseen refunds on that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.
Meh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

OK, but for real, it's a decent enough FPS with atrociously boring level design that doesn't actually evolve much from the prior games. In fact, I think TOB is the best the series' actual gameplay has been. It's got a bunch of exciting cutscenes that earned it a bunch of awards but between TNO and TNC, DOOM 2016 and Shadow Warrior 2* came out, and since TNC, games like DUSK and Amid Evil happened. If you haven't played any of those games I mentioned then you should.

Oh, and if you're looking to charge in then TNC definitely won't fill that need since it's mostly hitscan enemies and your damage feedback is awful.

*SW2 has some pretty major problems but its combat is not one of them. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, looks like Torchlight Frontiers is now Torchlight III and no longer a F2P MMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-KscmCsbk

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for that! Passing on Wolf 2 then.

Just finished and loved Amid Evil, Dusk creeps me out too much to finish the third episode (FACE GUY) but is great otherwise, and Doom 2016 is great but like 70 gigs and it just feels like...a lot...

Will look into Shadow Warrior 2 and decide in the next hour or so, whee

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Artelier posted:

Not worth the time. The extreme bad level design alone takes out all shooting fun. Skip it or watch an LP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Omi no Kami posted:

Are Dead Rising 3 or 4 worth sticking on a wishlist? I absolutely loved 1 and had a lot of fun with 2, but my understanding is that 3 & 4 largely move away from the optimization and time management in favor of more generic ubisoft-esque open world stuff?

Dead Rising 4's on game pass, it's ok. I played through with the Capcom heroes dlc that turns the game into Dynasty Warriors on and enjoyed it enough. 3 didn't work on my PC for whatever reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Huh, looks like Torchlight Frontiers is now Torchlight III and no longer a F2P MMO.

I don't particularly object to this. TL2 wasn't incredible but it was fun enough for a run through.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Torchlight 2 had a boatload of mods that made it a really fun and varied experience, which is why it's one of the few ARPGs of recent years (well, relatively recent) that I've actually put any appreciable amount of time into. I even ended up making some of my own. Let's hope Torchlight 3 will live up to that, but considering what kind of concept they started with, I'm not really too optimistic.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Tell us more about Torchlight 2 mods, and which ones to get! Vanilla T2 didn't click with me at all, but I wanna retry it with mods.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Hack and slash Hexen type game. ELDERBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnkKiXC1EQ

I've been on a classic FPS kick and I was interested until I saw the skeletons bleed and I don't know why that bothers me so much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baller Time posted:

Tell us more about Torchlight 2 mods, and which ones to get! Vanilla T2 didn't click with me at all, but I wanna retry it with mods.
Good thing I'm still subscribed to everything I used to use back in the day. Some of the most popular ones at the time were the Synergies Mod, which is basically a really big rework that adds more content, mechanics, special end- and postgame dungeons, etc. On top of that, there's the LAO mod, which adds some fifteen thousand items and tons of ways for previously impossible pre- and suffix combinations to spawn. Both of these come with a variety of addons and plugins. Gambler and Enchanter Redux makes both of these things more useful and convenient. Scroll of Enigma is a learnable teleport spell, very useful for traversing known areas. The Nethermancer class is one of the better class mods and the spells (mostly taken from certain enemy types, I think) work surprisingly well on the player side. Human Followers basically adds pets that are fully functional player characters in their own right. There are also various bag mods that improve your inventory size and make it sortable, but it's best to select those based on compability with mods you want to use. Finally, the "Classy Classes" mod makes it possible to use every PC skill ever class, which is kind of cheaty, but surprisingly fun.

There were a lot more that I remember vaguely, but don't seem to have in my list anymore. Many of the class mods (such as the Necromancer class) don't appear to be there anymore, but they were cool and interesting back when I used them. It's worth just going through the workshop and going through the class mod list for anything that sounds interesting. The game is as mod-compatible as any Elder Scrolls game and you can pile mods on mods until the engine starts creaking.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

This is the second time that team has failed at making a F2P ARPG MMO lmao

It’s for the best, though

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Flagshipped

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:stare:

Just what kind of touch is it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Givin posted:

I've been on a classic FPS kick and I was interested until I saw the skeletons bleed and I don't know why that bothers me so much.
It seems to actually be in early access - anyone played that?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kentucky Route 0 is done. 7 years of "Yeah it's not finished but what is there is outstanding" can finally end.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Givin posted:

It doesn't look like, amazing, but it doesn't look horrible, either. I think Amid Evil is my favorite of the recent classic FPS throwbacks still.

It's really easy to make melee combat feel lovely in a game so whether or not the combat feels good will be the deciding factor for me.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Cardiovorax posted:

Good thing I'm still subscribed to everything I used to use back in the day. Some of the most popular ones at the time were the Synergies Mod, which is basically a really big rework that adds more content, mechanics, special end- and postgame dungeons, etc. On top of that, there's the LAO mod, which adds some fifteen thousand items and tons of ways for previously impossible pre- and suffix combinations to spawn. Both of these come with a variety of addons and plugins. Gambler and Enchanter Redux makes both of these things more useful and convenient. Scroll of Enigma is a learnable teleport spell, very useful for traversing known areas. The Nethermancer class is one of the better class mods and the spells (mostly taken from certain enemy types, I think) work surprisingly well on the player side. Human Followers basically adds pets that are fully functional player characters in their own right. There are also various bag mods that improve your inventory size and make it sortable, but it's best to select those based on compability with mods you want to use. Finally, the "Classy Classes" mod makes it possible to use every PC skill ever class, which is kind of cheaty, but surprisingly fun.

There were a lot more that I remember vaguely, but don't seem to have in my list anymore. Many of the class mods (such as the Necromancer class) don't appear to be there anymore, but they were cool and interesting back when I used them. It's worth just going through the workshop and going through the class mod list for anything that sounds interesting. The game is as mod-compatible as any Elder Scrolls game and you can pile mods on mods until the engine starts creaking.

Thanks! Time to frankenstein this poo poo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Kentucky Route 0 is done. 7 years of "Yeah it's not finished but what is there is outstanding" can finally end.

Oh snap, I thought that was tomorrow! Can’t wait to get home and finish that puppy off. It’s kind of crazy to think of how different my life is now from when I started playing that game nearly 7 years ago.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow turning up the SSAA and Tessellation in Metro Last Light really brings GPUs to their knees.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

OhFunny posted:

Wow turning up the SSAA and Tessellation in Metro Last Light really brings GPUs to their knees.
Time to upgrade.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

OhFunny posted:

Turning up SSAA kills most GPUs in all engines supporting it though. It basically just multiplies your resolution and often has a predictable fps outcome.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh snap, I thought that was tomorrow! Can’t wait to get home and finish that puppy off. It’s kind of crazy to think of how different my life is now from when I started playing that game nearly 7 years ago.

I think review copies (and reviews) are out, but it's not until tomorrow us plebs get it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Artelier posted:

It's actually very good and fun.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

ha damnit, the way I've been playing is to try and just explore outward based on whatever the main mission location has me going. I was trying not to do anything too crazy early on in terms of traversing the map because I wasn't sure if this was a game that was good about artificially locking you out of places until you needed to be there in an organic progression kind of way, or a game that just didn't account for all the combinations of ways to sequence break and then i'd gently caress myself badly dozens of hours into the thing...

so basically i really didn't go explore the exterior at all and it sounds like thats how i missed an entire weapon after 30 hours of playing hahahaha. whatta game, chefs kiss forever

e: i also feel bad that i got this and the dlc for 8 bucks at some point in the last 2 years...this is one of the few aaa things that i totally think would have been worth the $60..what's arkane doing next?

My first run through the game was very similar to you, where I pretty much only got Kinetic Blast in the Typhon trees, but it is very strong. If you're still scanning the coral, the endgame timer hasn't started yet but you are close, yes. Did you get the neuromod upgrade for recycling? I felt like I was barely scraping by until then and after that I never had any resource issues--it's a subtle upgrade but it really counts. Also the Q-Gun is hard to use and is gigantic and if you've been collecting ammo for it all game, why not try to recycle that ammo and make something useful out of it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

I preferred 2's gameplay in the sense that everything felt cleaner and better-executed, but even though it still had the tight time management stuff I somehow didn't get the same feeling of muted brutality I did from 1. Especially from the bosses- most of 2's encounters felt like fairly straightforward boss fights to me, but a lot of the psychos in 1 were way closer to "How the hell am I supposed to approach this" until you got your dude beefed up and/or figured out how to cheese them. (I also wonder if part of it wasn't just that Frank West was really fun- 'scumbag pulp journo' is a great viewpoint for a schlocky apocalypse comedy.)

My favorite thing about the DR1 psychos is I can play “Gone Guru” and instantly tell who in the room has played DR1.

“Wellllll he ain’t my boy but the brother is heavy” is always met by a “gently caress YOU” from anyone who has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Scalding Coffee posted:

Time to upgrade.

There's only so much VRAM a man can buy! I tried to max out Resident Evil 2 and found out that even 1080p will suck up 14 GB of VRAM if you let it. Absolutely bonkers. A 2080 TI has "only" 11 GB.