Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Harrow posted:

If I pick up the Dusk collection, should I just play them in order, or would any of them be a better entry for someone who's new to the Atelier series? I've heard the best things about Escha & Logy as an entry point but that was years ago and I can't remember the reason given.

Yes. For all of my complaints about Ayesha, I still enjoyed it and it took 13 hours to blow through. So you won't be forced to sit through a 60+ hour jrpg just to get to the good content (unlike ffxiv, though I wound up really liking that 60+ hour jrpg) and you get excited when you spot returning characters in Escha.

Also hopefully your tastes will mean that you love Ayesha as much as everyone else does! It's a really charming game with beautiful music and I hope that I can come back to it in some months and do a guided playthrough and finally fall in love with it. Ayesha's cheerful roadtrip around a pastoral region helping people with their problems while investigating her main mystery is such a good concept.

For comparison it took me 27 hours to finish Sophie (all character events, no bonus bosses).

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a bonus for front row. Back row gains more points than out of party as well, but everybody gains at least a few points every day no matter what.

Good to know. Awin's been in my party front line at least until Threia joined up, then he was shuffled into the back because hello, I love her. Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last question before I buy my first Atelier game: would you all recommend starting with Ayesha (and the Dusk trilogy as a whole) or Ryza?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'd say start with Ayesha but it really comes down to how you feel about time limits. If you think the presence of a time limit will detract from your enjoyment, go with Ryza.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Ryza has a very easy to understand alchemy system but its combat system is a whole different animal from the rest of modern atelier

Ayesha (or L&S or Rorona for other switch titles) would be your best bets to start with

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 23, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ryza has a very easy to understand alchemy system but its combat system is a whole different animal from the rest of modern atelier

Ayesha (or L&S or Rorona for switch titles) would be your best bets to start with

dusk games are on switch now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only problem with Ryza's combat is if I want to bring a freaking million bombs with me I should be able not restricted to just a few!!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ryza has basically the same bomb philosophy that the games have had since E&L, where consumables are limited per trip instead of competing with items you gather for basket space. It definitely didn't feel like that big of a departure from Mysterious or late Dusk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can't expect me to remember how games I played more than a year ago worked

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main difference is that they compete with each other in using an MP-like resource when you used them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you ever get any more core whatever or is 10 max, cos I've already got items I can only use twice before I have to lose one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you ever get any more core whatever or is 10 max, cos I've already got items I can only use twice before I have to lose one.

Your core value does go up yeah. Don't remember how though

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Game designers have spent decades of research trying to make consumables fun. The conclusion: make them not consumable.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/marui_anime/status/1220541912374841346

A great way to buy the $80 DLC packs

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m still kind of surprised there isn’t DLC or anything to make Bos a party member. He just seems like somebody who should be playable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nrook posted:

I’m still kind of surprised there isn’t DLC or anything to make Bos a party member. He just seems like somebody who should be playable.

The series has traditionally reprised characters in sequels. I'd be very unsurprised if he came back in Ryza 2.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Add Kilo, Agatha, Bos and for comedy Lumbar.

Maybe even Lent's dad in some kinda side story thingy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

You get more, and you get an ability to restore some after each combat.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Ryza application does have 3 placeholder DLC character slots, but unlike with other games there's nothing there to hint that they were planning anything else.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How long is Lydie and Suelle? We just met the lightning god for the first time and failed to kill him. I'm finishing the ice palace level now. I suppose... how much longer have I got? I'm enjoying it but trying to actually finish some games this year.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think you're about halfway. It's a reasonably long game and when they dropped the DLC they added a bunch of scenes even for people who didn't buy it I think

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
That seems about right for how far I am in the rankings. drat. I was going to play some games tonight but my wife stayed up late and we watched tv. it's 11:18 now and time for bed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

redreader posted:

How long is Lydie and Suelle? We just met the lightning god for the first time and failed to kill him. I'm finishing the ice palace level now. I suppose... how much longer have I got? I'm enjoying it but trying to actually finish some games this year.

you're halfway in terms of the chapter mark but (filler) chapter 7 aside, every chapter from here on out will be progressively longer now that the cast is filled out and you'll be spending much more time with all your new friends in between exams and painting explorations

on another note i'm mostly? through ayesha? i've finally gotten to the stage where i'm stopping collecting flowers and now refining flower oils i'd definitely put ayesha up there along with L&S in terms of my favorite, the game's got incredibly strong direction and narrative and the cast is easy as colorful and charming

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are we gonna see an Ayesha LP in our future

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

someone else already LP'd all the dusk games so i don't have to :v:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm digging Ryza so far as my first Atelier. I'm kinda bummed on the combat being a bit frantic but it's good so far. I think I'd like combat more if it wasn't wanting me to switch characters often or time hits. :(

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nearing the end of rorona and idk how to feel about the fact that going out of town nowadays take half a month or whatever

there's supposed to be an endless mode afterwards, right? I want to build good poo poo, and it's hard when I don't have time to gather good ingredients.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm digging Ryza so far as my first Atelier. I'm kinda bummed on the combat being a bit frantic but it's good so far. I think I'd like combat more if it wasn't wanting me to switch characters often or time hits. :(

You get used to the speed, it's not really very complex it just doesn't give you a lot of time to think.

My main annoyance is still that you have tons of interesting looking items but you can only bring along like 7 or 8 max so I just bring one of each element damage, a heal and a rez.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

nearing the end of rorona and idk how to feel about the fact that going out of town nowadays take half a month or whatever

there's supposed to be an endless mode afterwards, right? I want to build good poo poo, and it's hard when I don't have time to gather good ingredients.

Have you made the item that reduces travel time? I forget what it's called but it uses the workshop decoration feature.

The Rorona postgame isn't endless. It's just a bonus year with very little story and a ton of superbosses

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

cheetah7071 posted:

Have you made the item that reduces travel time? I forget what it's called but it uses the workshop decoration feature.

The Rorona postgame isn't endless. It's just a bonus year with very little story and a ton of superbosses

I got the boots but I feel like it barely makes a difference. The lack of an endless mode is kinda sad. I guess I'll never be able to beat up some super bosses without multiple new game+s at the rate that I'm going.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I’m definitely winding down with Ayesha and only have a few more months in the game

Am very relieved that the final boss went down much easier than the slag boss though that one was a real piece of work

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I’m definitely winding down with Ayesha and only have a few more months in the game

Am very relieved that the final boss went down much easier than the slag boss though that one was a real piece of work

I got stuck at the meadow before you get to the floating islands area. I didn't realise that you advance areas (or whatever it is) by just, gathering enough times in an area. I posted a lot about it online, went all the way across the map, etc etc, and then realised after wasting maybe 2 months, that I just needed to gather a couple more flowers in an area to be able to advance. I did finish in time but felt rushed at the end because of that fuckup.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unlocking new areas is based on completing the travel objective in that location, which means killing all the enemies in a single trip and gathering there a number of times equal to the number of gathering locations (over any number of trips)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Come to think of it there were some recipes I was never able to unlock (namely Everpure Water) which stopped me from being able to do a few last requests to pick up more cash

I get the feeling this would involve spending more money at shops to raise their levels but I don’t know the turnaround until when new books could be available

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure I'm missing a book from somewhere but I have no idea where.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

They’re all pretty pricy and I’m pretty sure I spent more than enough money on registered bombs and Genug Water Pots that I couldn’t buy all the books I haven’t already

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Arland DX Dusk DX Play Asia Physical:

32GB Switch Cartridge
All 3 games are on one cartridge. No downloads
Game is region coded to Asia. You cannot claim gold coins from the Eshop

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 29, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ever pure water was from one of the books the cowgirl randomly stocked after I'd stopped checking what she sells because I thought I'd bought all the books iirc

Best way to make money is win the treasure contest every six months, they're not that hard apart from the last one and you get a ton of money from them.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I'm pretty sure you can buy Everpure water from the Library at some point?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

it's never shown up for me even at shop level 4 at the zweitenturm

also there is literally a Haruka Shimotsuki NPC you can tell to start or stop singing at the sister's home after saving nio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Esty's ticket equipment looks so good but they seem like a trap... But that equipment that makes all the dudes really fast is quite tempting.