Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

.....Et Tu Senate? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This doesn't make sense from any angle whatsoever, it is embarrassingly easy to argue with.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Just a complete lie

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

.....Et Tu Senate? :allears:

https://twitter.com/SenateGOP/status/1221848184902815744

seems the official line is this. it doesnt work but gently caress if i know.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It doesn't? I mean, yes in the face of logic it obviously doesn't work, but the Senators aren't operating with that as a prerequisite.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
I mean, ALL of the facts do still remain unchanged and uncontested, so in a way they are right??? It's clear was day before any of the leak came out that there was a violation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hard to contest the facts under oath, I suppose

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Attempted murder, what is that? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

John Bolton has apparently switched parties now according to this tweet :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1221852168166301697

thats 50 i think.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Starting to feel all this gaslighting might actually blow up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

they are running with the transcript being perfect.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Rauros posted:

Starting to feel all this gaslighting might actually blow up.

Well sure. Trump is mostly gas, so apply more fire and surely something will blow

Put him under more pressure and surely he'll lose his temper even more and say things he never intended to say.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The thing is time and time again there's been damning evidence that would be more than enough to convict in any trial for multiple things Trump has done and the GOP has just claimed it doesn't matter and done the whole "The Democrats are just being unfair to Trump blahblahblahblah" so I don't see why Bolton's coming back into the limelight is supposed to matter to them. They just tend to immediately turn on anybody that dares criticize or point out damning things about Trump who is the only thing that really seems to matter at all to the GOP anymore. They're literally the party of "hey let's bend over backwards and do everything in our power to make sure this one guy out of 100's of millions in this country gets his way every single time". They have nothing, NOTHING going on anymore but undying support for this one guy and utter disdain for anyone that doesn't. That's THE soul remaining overriding GOP policy, more important than conservatism, religion, guns or whatever else they used to always be on about.

This isn't even me trying to be all "Nothing Matters", so much as literally just look at the facts and their behavior and talking points since Trump got elected. Nothing is going to change unless the majorities in the senate change basically and America decides enough is enough already and that it wants something at least resembling a real democratic government.

The only real takeaway here is that all these bombshell developments after bombshell developments that in any other less partisan era under just about any other set of circumstances should have sunk Trump's bullshit dozens of times over just keeps forcing them to move the goalposts almost every other day now. They keep having to scramble new defenses and hard bullshit as to why it apparently doesn't matter and why they should charge forward to acquittal like they have everything else they've done in the senate in the last 4 years only to an almost surreal degree. Like I don't think they were expecting it to go THIS insanely badly for their defense case (it shouldn't really be a defense case but a fact examination mission in the senate) and having to ignore and spin so much to the point where it doesn't even make sense to all but the Fox News bubble people, but the only thing that remains to be seen is whether in can make a dent in the hyper-partisanship thing come November.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 27, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, there defense is pretty dumb bad so far.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Sitting here watching Ken Starr complaining about partisan bias in impeachment

OMG arguing that the independent counsel investigation is unconstitutional

Kale
May 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, there defense is pretty dumb bad so far.

I don't entirely think they give a poo poo obviously, they just have a certain amount of time to fill to make it look like there's something of a process and give Fox News a chance to do their spin before they vote to acquit and act like shitheads about it the entire way. Just screaming and snarling and hurling bile at Democrats for actually doing their jobs in being responsible to voters as senators/house reps here. I still can't wait to see what the GOP policy drive for 2020 is going to be come summer because I just can't see there being one. Being a Republican just means praising and defending Trump against criticism and smearing Democrats so if that's all people want America to be about then sure vote for your local Republican candidate come November.

Just loving ridiculous man....like Jesus.....:stare:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Jesus here I am sitting here listening to Ken loving Starr talking about Whitefuckingwater in front of a Senate impeachment trial in 20fucking20. What a world.

Edit: He sounds like he's going for the impeachment equivalent of jury nullification.

SubG fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 27, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, Collins, Murkowski, and Romney gets to 50. We'll probably see Gardner as well, he's been laying low so far. Tillis and Ernst have both made noises about not supporting witnesses, so I think we might be topped out away 51 right now.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Jesus here I am sitting here listening to Ken loving Starr talking about Whitefuckingwater in front of a Senate impeachment trial in 20fucking20. What a world.

Weird how the GOP can't let poo poo go, ever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ken Starr is blaming impeachment on the Civil loving War.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
This is the most boring thing I’ve ever heard in my life.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

Ken Starr: Impeachment is bad! Don't do it!

At no point has anyone attempted yet to defend the president against the charges.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

For the first 100 years of our republic no impeachment... BUT WERE THERE BAD PRESIDENTS BACK THEN? OF COURSE

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
poo poo if I was Bolton I'd be clamoring to testify so I could pull a Mueller to increase sales. "I, ahem, defer to the report book."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I want this to be on his gravestone.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

refleks posted:

For the first 100 years of our republic no impeachment... BUT WERE THERE BAD PRESIDENTS BACK THEN? OF COURSE
He's actually asking us to accept that no impeachments and only slightly more civil wars is less partisan than a bunch of impeachments and no civil war.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

two parties, impeaching each other, back and forth forever

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

a_pineapple posted:

two parties, impeaching each other, back and forth forever

Sounds fuckin hot

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Kale posted:

The thing is time and time again there's been damning evidence that would be more than enough to convict in any trial for multiple things Trump has done and the GOP has just claimed it doesn't matter and done the whole "The Democrats are just being unfair to Trump blahblahblahblah" so I don't see why Bolton's coming back into the limelight is supposed to matter to them. They just tend to immediately turn on anybody that dares criticize or point out damning things about Trump who is the only thing that really seems to matter at all to the GOP anymore. They're literally the party of "hey let's bend over backwards and do everything in our power to make sure this one guy out of 100's of millions in this country gets his way every single time". They have nothing, NOTHING going on anymore but undying support for this one guy and utter disdain for anyone that doesn't. That's THE soul remaining overriding GOP policy, more important than conservatism, religion, guns or whatever else they used to always be on about.

This isn't even me trying to be all "Nothing Matters", so much as literally just look at the facts and their behavior and talking points since Trump got elected. Nothing is going to change unless the majorities in the senate change basically and America decides enough is enough already and that it wants something at least resembling a real democratic government.

The only real takeaway here is that all these bombshell developments after bombshell developments that in any other less partisan era under just about any other set of circumstances should have sunk Trump's bullshit dozens of times over just keeps forcing them to move the goalposts almost every other day now. They keep having to scramble new defenses and hard bullshit as to why it apparently doesn't matter and why they should charge forward to acquittal like they have everything else they've done in the senate in the last 4 years only to an almost surreal degree. Like I don't think they were expecting it to go THIS insanely badly for their defense case (it shouldn't really be a defense case but a fact examination mission in the senate) and having to ignore and spin so much to the point where it doesn't even make sense to all but the Fox News bubble people, but the only thing that remains to be seen is whether in can make a dent in the hyper-partisanship thing come November.

More than half the country is in favor of impeachment and removal. If Amy McGrath beats McConnell in Kentucky because of this fuckery it’s all worth it. Without him the ship collapses in the senate, even if the senate is still majority R. People aren’t going to fall in line under barraso or Romney or Grassley.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
God, the blatantly disingenuous arguments coming from Starr's face makes my blood boil.

"Britain got rid of impeachment :smug:"

Yes they did you dipshit and also got rid of direct executive branch elections and they have votes of no confidence instead to remove a worthless poo poo in charge.

He's trying to argue other nations have a higher standard for removal from office than America when this blatantly is not true.

gently caress you, Starr.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

im already falling asleep Ken

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Xaiter posted:

God, the blatantly disingenuous arguments coming from Starr's face makes my blood boil.

"Britain got rid of impeachment :smug:"

Yes they did you dipshit and also got rid of direct executive branch elections and they have votes of no confidence instead to remove a worthless poo poo in charge.

He's trying to argue other nations have a higher standard for removal from office than America when this blatantly is not true.

gently caress you, Starr.

Other nations also regularly update their constitution, not just add to it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BigglesSWE posted:

I want this to be on his gravestone.

Nah, that'll be

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

Ken Starr: Impeachment is bad! Don't do it!

At no point has anyone attempted yet to defend the president against the charges.

they can't. the base they are catering to thinks its fine and trump will get pissy if it paints him as less than perfect god emperor.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1221864684984336384?s=21

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

eke out posted:

im already falling asleep Ken

Loss of consciousness is a symptom of irony poisoning.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/JesseCharlesLee/status/1221867274216394754

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes.

The reports coming out about it is what motivated them to release it.

Had that not happened, Ukraine would have likely announced the investigation, probably live on like CNN or whatever they wanted, and the aid would have been released.

it was going to be on fareed zakaria's show. they had actually scheduled the time they were going to announce the investigation. they ended up cancelling when all this poo poo came out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Fascists are immune to charges of hypocrisy. They don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SubG posted:

Edit: He sounds like he's going for the impeachment equivalent of jury nullification.

Technically that's what is going to almost certainly happen.