Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Any character can take a neutral skill from E to C+ (460 points) in 23 weeks purely with dual goals on Maddening, or 29 weeks on a weakness. For just C it's 300 points, so 15 weeks if neutral or 19 if weak.

There are 26 lecture weeks in White Clouds, 17 of them in chapter 6 or later when your starting class should have all their intermediate class requirements and you should be picking up most of your recruits. There's one less if you pick Crimson Flower because there's no teaching in chapter 12 there.

17 weeks for Shamir learning riding give her 340 points, which is 40 past C rank, the minimum qualification level. You can supplement that with extra teaching (5 weeks' worth at most with statue bonus, and probably less) or just stick her on a horse for a while to get the extra 120 skill exp in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Cool, thanks

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I just finished Azure Moon. I started it immediately upon finishing Crimson Flower back in August and eventually petered out around chapter 15 or so in October-ish before picking it back up and finishing it this past week. I don't read this thread so feel free to ignore this since I've heard the legends of the Edelgard Discourse™ and don't want to reignite it if possible. I also don't know the current spoiler policy so I'll just be safe and blackbar it.

My general feeling is that I don't like Dimitri. His character arc and redemption story fell kind of flat for me, and I basically never agreed with his ideals, mentality, or goals. I don't think it was a matter of having played his story after Edelgard's or anything because I pretty immediately disliked almost all of the Church people, way before the "twist" with the Flame Emperor became apparent to me, and if I had picked Blue Lions on my first playthrough I definitely would have been pretty reluctant to partner up with them and try to go save Rhea. My feeling from pretty early on with this game has consistently been "man, gently caress the Church." So naturally I side with Edelgard on most things (certainly not everything), and I find her story and motivations and all that jazz to be more enjoyable and likable than Dimitri's. It's really a shame that this was one of the two routes that got to get finished and CF didn't.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, here's some neat fanart

https://einsbern.tumblr.com/-for the artist

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 27, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

u should source it. fare well

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

u should source it. fare well

Oh, right. Edited in

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I really like the Dimitri art :)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
imagine this: the buns on the side of Edelgard's head are made of bread, and it's called Breadelgard

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Edelburger

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1222152626931994625?s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what to heck is a drama cd

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

indigi posted:

They're basically radio plays.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So who's going to do the Big Boss/Miller sauna fight? Dimitri and Felix?

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Given that the sauna fight was over Kaz’s sexual escapades, it’s definitely Dimitri and Sylvain

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

indigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng22sDQPodo&t=138s

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In a surprise twist, the drama CD will have a hour long track that is nothing but Alois and Seteth performing dad jokes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'd buy that. Seteth's Big Dad Energy is my favourite thing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
only tangentially related to this game, but I'm happy to announce that Byleth is really fun to use in smash :black101:

cptn_dr posted:

I'd buy that. Seteth's Big Dad Energy is my favourite thing.
:yeah:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Smash online currently consists about 50% of edelgard-colored byleths

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNciSjBTkGA

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Smash online currently consists about 50% of edelgard-colored byleths

As is good and correct until Byleth-colored Edelgards come out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I didn't think no-stat levels were possible in this game, that it was hard-coded to give at least 1 stat point on level up.

Shamir just proved me wrong.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cythereal posted:

I didn't think no-stat levels were possible in this game, that it was hard-coded to give at least 1 stat point on level up.

Shamir just proved me wrong.

It's not possible for any of the students or Byleth (or Cyril?), who get at least two every level, but is possible for all the knights and faculty.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Shamir's the only character I've ever had get no-stat level ups. And she accomplished it many times.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
if you want to see the future of fire emblem, imagine i'm not setting a very good example, forever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I put all my mages on horses this time around and boy oh boy is it fun

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1222429193843048448

So, it turns out that while Cindered Shadows' save data (read: levels, classes, victories, etc.) will operate independently of the main game, completing stuff in Cindered Shadows will unlock extra things in the the main game, like interacting with the Ashen Wolves in the main monastery content. And yes, the above tweet thread does more or less confirm that the Ashen Wolves will appear in the War Phase if you manage to recruit them to your class.

Although, Balthus confirming he has a big booming voice now makes me really upset he doesn't support with Raphael.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

"I will remove you" -Petra

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

indigi posted:

"I will remove you" -Petra

"I will be giving you removal." -Petra, probably

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wasn't going to do another of these, but a friend of mine who's working through the game asked me who the better myrmidon type is - Felix or Catherine. So here comes some math, and I'll toss Petra and Ignatz in so the Beagles and Deer don't feel left out (hey, Ignatz *does* have a strength in Swords).

Felix: 45 55 30 45 55 40 30 20 30 350
Catherine: 50 50 25 40 55 30 30 20 25 325
Petra: 45 40 25 50 60 45 30 15 35 345
Ignatz: 35 35 30 50 50 55 25 35 25 340

In terms of pure growths, there's very little room between Felix and Catherine - Catherine has 5% better HP growth, Felix has 5% better STR, DEX, CHA, and 10% better LCK. Petra also proves she deserves to hang out in this crowd in terms of raw stats, having notably lower STR than Felix and Catherine but better DEX, SPD, and LCK. Ignatz... doesn't really deserve to be considered in this weight class.

Felix, of course, has his well known ability Lone Wolf, boosting his damage by 5 whenever he doesn't have a battalion. A valuable crutch early in the game that falls off as better battalions come online.

Less well known is Catherine's ability, Fighting Spirit, which reduces her damage by 5 whenever she doesn't have a battalion. With how early you can get Catherine unless you're a Beagle, this also has crutch value and similarly falls off - and it will fall off faster in Catherine's case due to her skills.

Petra has Hunter's Boon, also situationally increasing her damage, in this case against targets under 50% HP. Not super reliable, but at least it's not dependent on a battalion like Felix and Catherine.

Ignatz has Watchful Eye for +20 hit, which can be very useful at times against bullshit pegasus knights and assassins.

Felix also packs the major Crest of Fraldarius for a 40% chance to increase his might by 5 when using a weapon (i.e. all the time unless you're doing a gimmick build). He also brings with him the ability to acquire the Aegis Shield from his paralogue, which besides granting Pavis and Aegis, also grants Felix personally 6 protection and 3 resilience, drastically improving Felix's durability even if the shield is heavy. But Felix generally gets plenty of strength, and this shield does much to alleviate his tendency to be frail. In Azure Moon alone, Felix also gets the Sword of Moralta, which has the standard regen effect that's amplified in his hands, further increasing his durability.

Catherine instead has the major Crest of Charon for a mighty 70% chance to increase her might by 5 when using combat arts, and she of course has Thunderbrand with its brave effect and, in Catherine's hands, Fourdroyant Strike.

Moralta and Thunderbrand enjoy the same base damage, but the Sword of Moralta enjoys +15% crit and +5% hit over Thunderbrand but weighs 2 more. Thunderbrand is also a brave weapon, and enables Fourdroyant Strike for Catherine as opposed to Moralta's HP regen for Felix. It's a tough call as to which is better, but I'd personally give the nod to Thunderbrand.

Of course, if you're willing to give up Fourdroyant Strike and the extra HP regen, they could always swap weapons. Also potentially of interest is the Sword of Begalta, available to the Golden Deer, which has less damage and crit but better hit and weighs less (and if you have access to it, you won't have the Sword of Moralta).

Petra and Ignatz do not have Crests.

In terms of skills, Felix has the mandatory strength in Swords, but also Bows, Brawling, and a budding talent in Reason (maybe going for a Levin Sword build or borrowing Blutgang from Marianne?). He does, however, have a notable weakness in Authority. Good battalions are huge in this game, and will significantly outweigh Lone Wolf.

Catherine similarly enjoys strengths in Swords and Brawling, and a weakness in Reason. Not having Felix's Authority weakness means she'll be getting good battalions significantly faster.

Petra has strengths in Swords and Bows like Felix, but also Axes and Riding in exchange for Reason and Faith weaknesses.

Ignatz has the now familiar strengths in Swords and Bows, a budding talent in Reason, and notably a strength in Authority. His only weakness (Flying) isn't one most people would care about.

So who's on top of the speedy strong sword person heap in my view? I think I have to give it to Catherine in a squeaker thanks to Thunderbrand's superior performance in her hands (and for the combat arts guy, Catherine and Felix have almost identical combat arts) and lack of an Authority weakness, but Felix is all but equal with the Aegis if you can get it, offering a defensive alternative. Petra tries, but she lacks a Crest and the Crest-granted extra abilities with Relics that Felix and Catherine have. Ignatz... could do the job if you really want him to, but he doesn't belong in this crowd.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 31, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The earlier you recruit Catherine, the stronger she is, because her bases are always at least the minimum Swordmaster bases, even at the lowest possible level to recruit her.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Catherine is one of the strongest units in the game and can hard carry you in Maddening. Petra starts off trash but is worth investing in as alert stance and peg knight can make her a monster and she has one of the best personal skills in the game.

Felix honestly is probably worse then both of them. He does good damage early game even on maddening thanks to his crest but his shield is poo poo since it’ll just weigh him down and won’t save him from maddening enemies. I’m curious how viable it is to dip armor knight for him for weight down then go full war master and ignore swords entirely

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Felix is awesome as both a character and a unit.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I usually end up making Felix and Petra into bow knights because BK's own, they're both good at it, and there are a bunch of other characters to do melee stuff.

Currently working on a run where everyone is a flying class and primarily uses bows. It's pretty sick with all the NG+ goodies on.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Oh Felix is a great character and a good unit I just don’t think he’s as amazing as people make him out to be. His offence isn’t quite good enough to make up for his squish on Maddening and he doesn’t have Catherine’s amazing bases. He also can’t reliably hit the same speed and avoid break point Petra can that makes her near unhittable even on Maddening thanks to her speed and peg knight access

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Just me and you against the world little buddy.

quote:

An few comments on the [Choose Your Legends] results:

-The only two students in Three Houses that didn't make top 100 were Raphael (rank 137) and Ignatz (rank 154).

It's okay though because at least they did better than:

quote:

The lowest-ranked playable character from Three Houses was Gilbert at rank 481.

Hoping one day IS gives out in-game statistics of how many players just forget Gilbert even exists after the chapter he's introduced in. Which is probably understandable seeing as how he's only playable on only one path.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

quote:

Out of all three houses, the Blue Lions got the least amount of total votes.

*nodding head emphatically* that's right, that's right

e: Petra getting less votes than loving Ingrid is insane and anti-Bridgidier bigotry

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

indigi posted:

*nodding head emphatically* that's right, that's right

e: Petra getting less votes than loving Ingrid is insane and anti-Bridgidier bigotry

I can't believe we let racism win

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Speaking of racism, Jill got 24th :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm the guy in that thread who's ludicrously mad that female characters are popular.