Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Waterworld for the Virtual Boy?

Not great, but OK.

My US Virtual Boy tier list:

Panic Bomber
Wario Land
Mario Clash
Jack Bros.
Mario's Tennis
Galactic Pinball
Teleroboxer
Vertical Force
Water World
Red Alarm
Nester's Funky Bowling
3D Tetris
Virtual League Baseball
Golf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Re: NTSC-J PS2 - If you mean "best" subjectively then there are some pretty cool color options you can explore. Ocean blue, Sakura pink, white and silver are all pretty common on auction sites.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Isn't there a way to connect a PS2 to a harddrive so I can play my games on there without loading?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What do you mean by without loading? You can get a PS2 to play HDD games relatively easily, yeah.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

What do you mean by without loading? You can get a PS2 to play HDD games relatively easily, yeah.

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Plays...OgAAOSwUvhdo4x5

Also, it would load obviously, but the load times will be much faster I'd imagine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No not like that

How the gently caress did you even find that in a search engine and not find the actual way to do things?

You get a network adapter and plug a HDD into it - either the old one with IDE/PATA or newer, third party ones with SATA (but often no actual network interface), then you just use OpenPS2Loader.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Plays...OgAAOSwUvhdo4x5

Also, it would load obviously, but the load times will be much faster I'd imagine.

You 100% don't need to buy something like that. You can buy a Free McBoot memory card, a standard 2.5 HDD, and be on your way for a fraction of that. I'm fairly certain the default install includes HDLoader or whatever they use now too, so you may be good to go from there. How you get the games on the HDD is the "hard" part.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. Do I have to have a fat PS2 to do it and not a slim?

Also do I need to use the boot disk every single time I want to play a game off of the HDD?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Slim PS2s can run stuff off USB or a network but it's not as stable as a HDD.

FreeMCBoot is installed to a memory card or the HDD itself and boots a modified OSDSYS so no, you just turn it on and select the loader from the menu.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Do I have to have a fat PS2 to do it and not a slim?

Also do I need to use the boot disk every single time I want to play a game off of the HDD?

I'm pretty sure with a Slim you can use a USB external if you really wanted. I think you can do this on a fat too. The only difference is the Network Adapter slot would be transformed into an "internal HDD drive" as opposed to an external connected to the console. And you don't need a boot disc at all. You Free McBoot it, keep the memory card in, boot OPL. and go on your way.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Is there a way to play backups of games off an hard drive on a GameCube?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Good to know. Discs scare me since i'm afraid disc drives will die.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c

Here's a tutorial of how to softmod the PS2. Everything you need is included in the description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wa57J8vbg

MJR goes over what a softmodded PS2 can do.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

40-Degree Day posted:

I mean, probably, but it's way easier to do it off an SD card. You can use a SD to memory card type deal or repurpose the serial port 2 on the bottom to read SDs. You just have to figure a way to boot into Swiss. Easiest way would probably be a mod chip clone for like $10 then burning a copy of Swiss to a mini DVD.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
A lot of games have issues if you do it that way, but it's not bad. There is an ODE, but I think it's kind of tough to get hold of?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
By chance I have access to two Dreamcasts and some identical titles as well as two identical displays so I'm going to do a side by side comparison of my vga adapter and my Pound HDMI adapter.

I'm never sure which one looks better so I hope it helps shed some light.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Do slim PS2s have a longer life than fat PS2s? I assume so due to being a redesign and using small fans.

Or are fat PS2 fan easy to replace?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do slim PS2s have a longer life than fat PS2s? I assume so due to being a redesign and using small fans.

Or are fat PS2 fan easy to replace?

Theoretically maybe but my fat PS2 from ~2003 is still kicking with zero issues. My launch console only lasted 2 years but ps2s are hardy consoles.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The primary failure point on PS2s of both varieties is the disc drive - if you're using FreeMcboot this ceases to be an issue. The slim does have the advantage of mounting the power supply outside the case, making it trivial to replace and reducing heat (and thus eliminating a potential failure point), but the tradeoff is that using a hard drive is a major pain. If you're intending to use a network share instead of an internal HDD (you don't want to use USB, the USB 1.0 standard doesn't transmit data as fast as a DVD), this is less of a problem.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the closest my (fat) ps2 ever got to dying was me completely loving up using a swap magic slide tool and then not being able to get the insanely small ribbon cables back in the disc drive while attempting to fix it, and even then i eventually managed to get it all going again. you'll be fine, you don't need to overthink this so much

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Are people still developing emulators for the Dreamcast?

Having all the NES ROMs burned on a NesterDC CD back in the day was awesome

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I doubt it. The Xboxes and Wiis became way more capable in that regard.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

40-Degree Day posted:

Best solution is a Wii with Nintendont IMO.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Gonna post my PS2 tower of power. Should probably get a bigger card. It's been years since this photo was taken.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Waterworld for the Virtual Boy?
It's kind of an interesting arcade-style game with some real nice chiptune music and some messy pre-rendered visuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGdPzNdOiSs

Worth messing around with for a few minutes on an emulator or flashcart, but certainly not worth the asking prices on eBay and such.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I want to say only the NA version has the nasty checkpoint at the end, but I'm not sure about that. Might just be when continuing. I do know that you take less damage per hit in AkuDen.

No, you're right, in the original version you get a final checkpoint right before Dracula.

In the US version the final checkpoint is at the door below the pendulum area, but you lose it when you continue and start at the beginning of the stage.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Gonna post my PS2 tower of power. Should probably get a bigger card. It's been years since this photo was taken.

I had no idea you could do that..what's the biggest size you could get? Looks like I may have to swap my silver slim for a fatty.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ChaosArgate posted:

This might be a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know why a GameCube copy of Ocarina of Time might start doing some... weird things with the texture mapping? (forgive the lovely pics, one's a phone pic and the other's a capture card screencap that hasn't been adjusted for aspect ratio)

For reference, I'm playing on a GameCube from like, 2001ish through an Eon GCHD Mk II in 480p. It looks identical when I boot in 480i as well. It also does not exhibit this behavior when I boot it up on a Wii.

So I dunno if anyone here remembers my GameCube's hosed up attempts at rendering Ocarina of Time, but I can confirm that it is 100% possible to complete it like this!

https://twitter.com/ChaosArgate/status/1221649249529712642

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bank posted:

I had no idea you could do that..what's the biggest size you could get? Looks like I may have to swap my silver slim for a fatty.

Should theoretically support the 2TB max that Open PS2 Loader supports. Though 2TB SD cards aren't a thing really. 1TB SD can be had though, at a premium.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 27, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

ChaosArgate posted:

So I dunno if anyone here remembers my GameCube's hosed up attempts at rendering Ocarina of Time, but I can confirm that it is 100% possible to complete it like this!

I do I do! I just fell way behind on keeping up with streams/videos...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I love how the ending screen is still basically recognisable

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

It's perfect

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

absolutely anything posted:

the closest my (fat) ps2 ever got to dying was me completely loving up using a swap magic slide tool and then not being able to get the insanely small ribbon cables back in the disc drive while attempting to fix it, and even then i eventually managed to get it all going again. you'll be fine, you don't need to overthink this so much

im on my 3rd or 4th one and I have 2 of them just in case this newest one dies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Good job getting the good ending!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I also just wanna say that the Fire Challenge in Ganon's Tower is loving miserable this go around.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Gnoman posted:

The primary failure point on PS2s of both varieties is the disc drive - if you're using FreeMcboot this ceases to be an issue. The slim does have the advantage of mounting the power supply outside the case, making it trivial to replace and reducing heat (and thus eliminating a potential failure point), but the tradeoff is that using a hard drive is a major pain. If you're intending to use a network share instead of an internal HDD (you don't want to use USB, the USB 1.0 standard doesn't transmit data as fast as a DVD), this is less of a problem.

I've got a fat PS2 that died on me not long after I installed the network adapter & HD. Still looks like it powers on, but no output.

One of these days I'll have to replace it, I don't have ethernet in the room that it's in, so loading over the network on my slim is a huge pain.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

I've got a fat PS2 that died on me not long after I installed the network adapter & HD. Still looks like it powers on, but no output.

One of these days I'll have to replace it, I don't have ethernet in the room that it's in, so loading over the network on my slim is a huge pain.

Not sure if you tried powerline adapters? I have them in my ~60s place and it seems to work great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bank posted:

Not sure if you tried powerline adapters? I have them in my ~60s place and it seems to work great.

Yeah they do work pretty good. I’ve been using them for years now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's still nothing you can do with a late model Slim right? I don't remember the model number of mine off the top of my head. I got it about 10 years ago thinking how nice it was that they were so cheap, not thinking about running roms on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone use an Nvidia Shield with Retroarch? I'm planning to play stuff pre-N64/PS1 (NES/SNES/MG mostly).