Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Disclaimer that I have absolutely no idea what happened onboard the helo and I haven't seen any reports but

we were batting this around at the office and I imagine it's difficult to tell a person of Kobe's stature that "no you can't go where you wanted to go today." I can totally imagine a scenario where the person up front is thinking "oh poo poo this isn't good, I really want to turn around but I don't think I have that option" and the dude in the back is thinking "what the gently caress is this guy doing, I'm uncomfortable in this weather and I want him to turn around" but nobody voices anything so nothing happens. Perceived mission pressure is a hell of a thing, if that's what happened here.

Pilots don't even need very important people sitting in their aircraft to think that way. Its very common in a lot of crash narratives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Guys, just a hunch, but that plane in Afghanistan might have been kinda... valuable?

https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/1221782172346015744?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

Oh. No. Please don't deport me to the land of free college education and rapid mass transit.

nice try buddy, you're going to Guatemala, same as everyone else

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigDave posted:

Oh. No. Please don't deport me to the land of free college education and rapid mass transit.
(Don't forget healthcare)

Which in a Trumpist's eyes makes you a public charge. Best Catch-22 ever!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh please don't throw me in that Norway patch!!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So technically I'm half Norwegian, quarter German and quarter Irish.

Does this mean I'm Oslo bound? If I start packing now I could be ready by Friday.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This analogy is amazing:
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1221827357276807169

The obvious response to so many criticisms of Bernie is simply "...so you're saying hes going to win?" Supporters are Trump like? You're saying hes going to win. Saying his supporters are partisans against a modern army? You're saying hes going to win.

How are they so bad at this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wouldn't this bar a ton of academics since academics don't always have a ton of money as these very forums have shown us

Yes 100,000%

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh please don't throw me in that Norway patch!!

:laffo:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Why's Bernie winning in polling though, if his staff is a bunch of rinkydink idiots who can't campaign their way out of a paper bag?

seems to me like that fight came and went and bernie won

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Doesn't Trump want people from Scandinavian countries? I seem to remember him jabbering about getting people from Norway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Frum and the Democratic Fucktard Fellows are just getting ahead of the curve for their November narrative after they do everything to tank him and hand Trump the election

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the pundits are absolutely not prepared to fight an online battle

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I don’t suppose there are any analysts that have tried to compare the amount of money spent by the Taliban vs the amount spent by the US and allies over the last 18.5 years

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As Bernie gets closer to winning you're gonna probably see a DNC-backed piece on why (((Sanders))) might not be an ideal candidate.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

I don’t suppose there are any analysts that have tried to compare the amount of money spent by the Taliban vs the amount spent by the US and allies over the last 18.5 years

It's pretty hard to get access to the Taliban/AQ/terror expenses but this handy site will help with the rest

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Frum and the Democratic Fucktard Fellows are just getting ahead of the curve for their November narrative after they do everything to tank him and hand Trump the election

The billionaires will come in and spoil the election with 3rd party runs. The problem is that you can't suppress an ideology, and all this will just present even more clear evidence of DNC bias against Bernie's wing.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

What.

quote:

David Jeffrey Frum is a Canadian-American political commentator. A speechwriter for President George W. Bush, Frum later authored the first book about Bush's presidency written by a former member of the administration. He is credited with inspiring the phrase "axis of evil" in Bush's 2002 State of the Union address.

show me on the dolly where you were so persecuted by the Democrats.

And really after the last two worse America lost you would think that frum would come up with a better analogy

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 27, 2020

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bird cooch posted:

What.

show me on the dolly where you were so persecuted by the Democrats.

And really after the last two worse America lost you would think that frum would come up with a better analogy

Minor quibble but to the kind of person making these analogies I'm not actually certain you can start with the premise that those wars were lost.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Apologies for mislabelling what variety of fucktard Frum is.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Apologies for mislabelling what variety of fucktard Frum is.

It's just as believable as when Fox apologizes for Miss labeling the fucktards. If it was just you it would be dropped immediately okay no big deal. However there's a lot of this going on all over the internet. It's almost a direct echo of the last primary season just with no H.A. Goodman corollary yet.

Sanders has caucused with the Democrats for longer than most of y'all have been alive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

As Bernie gets closer to winning you're gonna probably see a DNC-backed piece on why (((Sanders))) might not be an ideal candidate.

B-b-b-but Judeo-christian values

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

So we start killing first born sons?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like the year of Jubilee!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

was this posted yet? crazy detailed interview on kobe crash from someone who must know aviation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QYy8lrww8

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

pmchem posted:

was this posted yet? crazy detailed interview on kobe crash from someone who must know aviation:

This recall is insane. So loving detailed- and if I were conspiracy minded, I'd say he was a crisis actor with a script.

That guy is amazing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

pmchem posted:

Eyewitness testimonies regarding aviation mishaps are practically worthless.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

bloops posted:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bloops posted:

Ok but did you uh, listen to the guy in the TWA hat?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

This analogy is amazing:
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1221827357276807169

The obvious response to so many criticisms of Bernie is simply "...so you're saying hes going to win?" Supporters are Trump like? You're saying hes going to win. Saying his supporters are partisans against a modern army? You're saying hes going to win.

How are they so bad at this.

Oh my god did you read the actual article? This is the closer:

quote:

There are many ways to divide the Democratic field: by ideology, by gender, by ethnicity, by age. But perhaps the most important is this: For Buttigieg, for Bloomberg, as for me and very likely for you, reader of The Atlantic, one of the most decisive days of our lives was the day we received the fat envelope of acceptance from a selective educational institution.

Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden speak to Americans for whom the fat-envelope/thin-envelope decision means little, if it means anything at all. It’s not accident or name recognition that explains why they lead the field. They are both being carried by something big and real. The challenge for the person who will succeed in beating Trump in 2020 is not merely to ride that force, but to guide it.

Trolling ivory tower libs into saying the quiet part loud and really going whole hog on publicizing their explicit contempt for everyone outside the ivy league has to be one of the biggest achievements of Bernie's campaign

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the pundits are absolutely not prepared to fight any battle against people who are trying to win

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shitlibs, shitlibs everywhere

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I like this photo of Ho Chi Minh better:

Uncle Ho is the guy third from the left in a collared white shirt and shorts.

The two guys either side of him are US OSS officers. The picture is from 1945.

We make our own enemies.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

MRC48B posted:

We make our own enemies.

It's testament to our strength that the only enemies we can't beat are the ones we trained ourselves :)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

We make our own enemies.

Cut us some slack we only made that mistake once. I mean, it's not like it ever happened again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

pmchem posted:

Ok but did you uh, listen to the guy in the TWA hat?

I did. His testimony isn’t worth poo poo. NTSB is going to rely on the flight data recorders and any radar tracks. Not some guy wearing a defunct airline hat.

I’m not being a prick either. I worked a flight safety job in the USAF for several years as a ground duty when not flying. The USAF teaches this in the school house. There’s little to no value in eyewitnesses. If I recall correctly, something like 82% of eyewitness reports claim a mishap aircraft was on fire and the jet never was.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bulletsponge13 posted:

Cut us some slack we only made that mistake once. I mean, it's not like it ever happened again.

Well, twice.

Three times if you count ISIS.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MRC48B posted:

We make our own enemies.

Hey, the french helped

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BigDave posted:

Well, twice.

Three times if you count ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13