Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is webmail usually accessible from the internet? For on prem Exchange at least.

Also our company sale is about to go through. There's "no manpower reduction" needed. Our CIO even tried to make us feel better about it by telling us just how much work there is to do (and mentioning we are understaffed to begin with). But then told us something like "well of course after a couple years they're going to want a return on their investment"

So I took it as "we are going to wring as much work out of you as possible and then you'll lose your job anyway". Not exactly inspiring. I need to update my resume, even though I think the job will be around for at least a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

myron cope posted:

Also our company sale is about to go through. There's "no manpower reduction" needed. Our CIO even tried to make us feel better about it by telling us just how much work there is to do (and mentioning we are understaffed to begin with). But then told us something like "well of course after a couple years they're going to want a return on their investment"

So I took it as "we are going to wring as much work out of you as possible and then you'll lose your job anyway". Not exactly inspiring. I need to update my resume, even though I think the job will be around for at least a few years.

Your cio is getting money to stay on board for 18 - 24 months + whatever bonus structure is put in place. Look out for you. Once leaders start heading out the door the end is near.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

myron cope posted:

Is webmail usually accessible from the internet? For on prem Exchange at least

Yes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

myron cope posted:

It's not ever a bad idea to get your resume up-to-date. I'm a manager who makes verbal missteps like Larry David, though, so I have another probably over-charitable interpretation of that:

The new company is not your old company. The org supplying the whole company with tech capabilities—IT or whatever you call it—is going to have different priorities. Over the next few years, your own priorities will have to shift. Whether you're successful in the new combined organization is going to be a function of how you can absorb their business, figure out their priorities, and find opportunities to make yourself valuable in the new context. The things you did that were valuable yesterday are not remotely going to be the things that are valuable in two years' time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not ever a bad idea to get your resume up-to-date. I'm a manager who makes verbal missteps like Larry David, though, so I have another probably over-charitable interpretation of that:

The new company is not your old company. The org supplying the whole company with tech capabilities—IT or whatever you call it—is going to have different priorities. Over the next few years, your own priorities will have to shift. Whether you're successful in the new combined organization is going to be a function of how you can absorb their business, figure out their priorities, and find opportunities to make yourself valuable in the new context. The things you did that were valuable yesterday are not remotely going to be the things that are valuable in two years' time.

Yeah this. I’ve survived and even flourished through 3 acquisitions now because I adapt to the new environment. Old company is dead. I’m on Team NewCompany now, what can I do to help? How do you like things done?

The guys that can’t adjust usually find other employment one way or the other.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My current customer has dev pull its working data from a prod environment because they do all their updates directly in that prod environment by hand (with Dreamweaver!) so all dev is done on real data. Also, they use the dev environment for production use because they wanted to save AWS moneys by not having two. Basically, the environment I work on is called dev but is used like prod and I'm not allowed to break it (lol it breaks all the time anyways).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How does being aquired work out? I'd assume youd want to make the experience pleasent enough for those being aquired unless youre buying them strictly to get an IP. If for no other reason than it'd be really hard to absorb any vital infrastructure in place if your IT department peaces out, or the one guy who wrote the vital devops pipeline and is the only one who knows anything about it takes his ball and goes home.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

myron cope posted:

They told my company no layoffs were planned. Six months later, the company downsized by 25%. Execs will lie to stop a mass exodus.

A few things you can do:
If your company is being rolled into a bigger one, try to find out what your role is making over there. My company never adjusted titles to reflect the crazy inflation the parent company had, but I had a sizeable "correction" to my salary to bring me in line with their metro area. If you may get a promotion out of this, I'd have that in your back pocket as justification for a pay bump.

If the job is good and you are in a key position (like being the only network/domain admin in your office), negotiate a retention bonus. I asked when they were closing my office and they gave me $5k for sticking around six months. Get paid a bonus to plan your escape.

Ride the carousel, but know when to step off. My company was bought in 2013, and my boss was smart and quit within 90 days. His position was never filled, I grew into his role and within two years I was making $25k more. It worked out fairly well. Two years later, our sister campus's network team resigned en masse, I had a talk with my VP and a promotion to senior was in the works. Didn't happen--office was closed, VP got canned, I was reassigned to working basic tickets with the junior admins, and the new VP had "reduced headcount by 40%" on his Linkedin profile. Two years, wife in tears because the data center is being moved a month before our wedding and I can't help her, and at the end of the day, nothing to show for it. If things aren't great now, leave. Things don't improve with half the headcount. If you're not getting anything more for sticking with a company in turmoil (promotion, bonus, new responsibilities, etc.), leave. If you can wring something out of management and it's sizeable, stick around for a year or two and see how things are going.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Contingency posted:

They told my company no layoffs were planned. Six months later, the company downsized by 25%. Execs will lie to stop a mass exodus.

Not only will they lie to stop a mass exodus, it's almost guaranteed that their bonuses and/or severance depend on it

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

This is good advice and I'll certainly try to integrate with the new company as much as possible (as opposed to trying to resist, like I'm sure some people will want to do). The big issue is they're HQd on the other side of the state, so if the job goes away here I wouldn't want to relocate (if that was even an option). There's various reasons I don't think the actual company will go away, but it's certainly possible (likely?) that the IT part does.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes. Lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0&t=31s

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ours was until recently when our security team decided to require VPN to access it. I'm not sure why they wanted that.

Sickening posted:

Your cio is getting money to stay on board for 18 - 24 months + whatever bonus structure is put in place. Look out for you. Once leaders start heading out the door the end is near.

I'm thinking that's the case, since our CIO is going to be an SVP with one direct report: the CIO (who is currently CIO of the buying company). Seems like a very odd setup, unless the idea is to keep our CIO around for the transition stuff and then get rid of them (probably retirement, our CIO is on the older side)

Contingency posted:

A few things you can do:
If your company is being rolled into a bigger one, try to find out what your role is making over there. My company never adjusted titles to reflect the crazy inflation the parent company had, but I had a sizeable "correction" to my salary to bring me in line with their metro area. If you may get a promotion out of this, I'd have that in your back pocket as justification for a pay bump.

These are good points, but a few notes: we are a utility and got bought by another utility (but a different kind--I'm trying to be vague but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to find the companies, plz don't doxx me) so there will have to be at least a transition period of a few years. For another, we run SAP and a factor in the sale was they have an "aging" system that they need to replace. They don't run any SAP at all, so they'll need us around to help implement it. Finally since we are a utility, the sale had to be approved by the state utility commission and there was a settlement involved with certain agreements. One of those was to keep our current HQ where it is until the end of the decade (which I believe is when the building lease expires). Another was to keep capital funding the same (or above what it was) and certain staffing the same or more.

I'm not naive enough to think that means my job is definitely safe. They made agreements for field people and customer service people, that doesn't mean they can't just get rid of me, an Infrastructure guy. But I figure I have at least 2 years before there's any real danger of losing this job.

Hopefully I'm not back here later this year quoting this post

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Does anyone have any good YouTube links for "how to System EngineerWindows Admin for n00bs"?
New guy has been handed the inauspicious task of demoting our 2008 Domain Controllers, creating new ones promoting them and transferring the FSMO roles and he seems less than comfortable doing so.
I linked him the Microsoft Docs pages only to find out he's not great at reading comprehension.
I'm worried.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Alright who snitched to reddit about the PDU from hell?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I was at a software company where a vendor bought us and 3 other software companies because they wanted a software division. My company in Ontario and everything else in Boston/New England. They flew everyone in to town for a few days so everyone could meet. Things for normal for about a year.

Then managers start shuffling. Sales guys change regions almost quarterly. A few software products are end of life but no one wants to actually axe them because that would mean lost license revenue. Project Managers start getting really stressed to deliver on time. Almost every month we have a new Director because someone has been shuffled around or promoted. Then all the Canadian consultants get grounded. All onsite work is now done by Americans with the Canadians working to back them up. This is a joke really because the ones in Canada had 20 years experience so they end up doing most of the work anyway and the US consultant gets the glory.

Then the guy who was our big boss, gets pushed out by other Sr execs and quits to go into business for himself. I knew it was time when I saw new positions opening up in the Boston area but none in Canada.

So I did them a favor and started looking around. A year after I left, two key people left for a competitor and the rest of sales, sales support staff, and management were all let go. Only Dev and QA stayed behind plus some admin staff.

The place I'm at now does a few acquisitions a year. To get around full layoffs, they'll wait to see who will quit or take buyouts. Maybe some departments loose open requisitions. Any open job postings may be removed. Some managers will take this period as an opportunity to let go some under performing staff. Managers that only have a few reports may be let go and the remaining team transferred to another existing manager. Work from home will be discontinued because you'll get some resignations about of that as well.

Any small or satellites offices may be closed. Sorry Bob, the office is closing. But we'd love to have you at the Springfield office from now on. Yes you now have a 2 hour commute each way. No we cannot compensate you right now due to budget freezes. What's that? You have to resign then? We hate to see you go.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

myron cope posted:

Ours was until recently when our security team decided to require VPN to access it. I'm not sure why they wanted that

I mean, I guess that's easier than properly securing and configuring a publicly accessible web service, but goddamn that's the entire point of webmail. It's pretty safe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Our org locked down webmail so it can only be accessed by a corporate machine due to the concern that someone could screenshot or copy and paste data out of the browser on to an unsecured machine.

At that point though, people can just take a picture of the screen if they really wanted to copy stuff, so it's all kinda silly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also it's email, it's only as secure as the other parties to the message.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Our org locked down webmail so it can only be accessed by a corporate machine due to the concern that someone could screenshot or copy and paste data out of the browser on to an unsecured machine.

At that point though, people can just take a picture of the screen if they really wanted to copy stuff, so it's all kinda silly.

At some point it's a lost cause, exactly. If you put up excessive barriers to accessing information and collaboration, people will just find shortcuts or ways to circumvent it. I can't stand infosec departments that don't get this yet. They're fighting the wrong battles.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Bob’s posted his own pictures to Reddit before

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Stopping insider threats is basically impossible. If engineers want to exfiltrate source code they work on or have access to, they can.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Infosec only works on those that follow its rules. You can get around pretty much everything.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, I guess that's easier than properly securing and configuring a publicly accessible web service, but goddamn that's the entire point of webmail. It's pretty safe.

So I think what happened was they wanted to use 2fa with webmail, but couldn't do it for just webmail with our 2fa solution (authlite) for reasons I don't quite remember, so instead just went with VPN.

But yes the concern was that someone could have a compromised PC or, I guess, compromised credentials and then...email would be compromised I suppose.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

myron cope posted:

So I think what happened was they wanted to use 2fa with webmail, but couldn't do it for just webmail with our 2fa solution (authlite) for reasons I don't quite remember, so instead just went with VPN.

But yes the concern was that someone could have a compromised PC or, I guess, compromised credentials and then...email would be compromised I suppose.

So let’s require people to vpn in to the secure network. Access webmail. And then let them download whatever weird viruses in their email and hey get what, they’re on the vpn so inside the network to let poo poo just roam. Infosec are just the dumbest weirdest people in the world.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The big problem I'm having at work recently is all these loving new hires come from companies that have 40 man IT shops to build/do whatever they want. We have 5 people, including my boss. I do security/servers/network/pc/phones/etc. I finally got approval to hire a PC tech to do PC grunt work. Oh and I answer calls and do tickets.

Anything I don't know? We hire consultants. New Meraki switches, and CUCM upgrade? Hire out. These new people cannot understand that we don't have people on staff for every single god drat question they ask. I'm not a CUCM expert. You want the call flow to change? We gotta loving scope it and hire it out. You want Sharepoint? That's a loving project man.

Argh.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

End of life is when I'm gonna put my boot to your lip

buddy, i'm firin' lasers all over the place up 'ere

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

bull3964 posted:

Your org uses whatsapp or a similar service for collaboration, just not officially.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

HAHA saw that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Post the link or be cursed by the ghost of Compuserve until the end of time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Professor purchases a $200 Chromebook and wants us to run lab software on it. I basically laughed them out of the office. They claim they don't have money for a better computer yet they're office is being redone as we speak.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
You don't want to support a Chromebook running Linux running WINE running extremely specific software??!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

No poo poo, they were asking me about running an Android emulator on there so they could use a phone app in conjunction with this lab equipment.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Someone apparently used a email distro group as their recovery email for their O365 account, and they are now spamming the following group with their recovery pin over and over and over and over: Group includes all tenure-track faculty at UM Ann Arbor, campuswide.

just lmao

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Methanar posted:

Stopping insider threats is basically impossible. If engineers want to exfiltrate source code they work on or have access to, they can.

At the previous company I legit remember a new hot shot senior sales exec that was hired brought with him as part of a package deal; screenshots and photos of key client/lead information and business plans of a direct competitor they were jumping ship from.

Everyone likes a little bit of espionage right?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sirotan posted:

Someone apparently used a email distro group as their recovery email for their O365 account, and they are now spamming the following group with their recovery pin over and over and over and over: Group includes all tenure-track faculty at UM Ann Arbor, campuswide.

just lmao

Don't you just love academic IT work?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell, it could be legal where the client gets to choose whether or not they want to follow the attorney out the door. Try that poo poo while working for an MSP. It's nice to be the ones writing the rules.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Defenestrategy posted:

How does being aquired work out? I'd assume youd want to make the experience pleasent enough for those being aquired unless youre buying them strictly to get an IP. If for no other reason than it'd be really hard to absorb any vital infrastructure in place if your IT department peaces out, or the one guy who wrote the vital devops pipeline and is the only one who knows anything about it takes his ball and goes home.

I've been part of a few now and have basically seen enough to know that it's different depending on the businesses involved (duh). But honestly you'd be surprised how not critical even the "dude who is the only one who knows xyz thing" is,.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Heads up about Chrome 80 dropping on the 4th, it’s probably gonna break SSO for a lot of people. I just heard about it today, and with initial testing we’re gonna have to disable this feature because it breaks our main business SaaS app in servicenow.

https://www.okta.com/blog/2019/12/chrome-80-is-on-its-way-and-it-might-change-your-cookies-are-you-ready/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheFace posted:

I've been part of a few now and have basically seen enough to know that it's different depending on the businesses involved (duh). But honestly you'd be surprised how not critical even the "dude who is the only one who knows xyz thing" is,.

I remember something I was told way back when I worked at a startup ISP in the mid 90s. Never make yourself indispensable. Because then you've done one of two things. You've either made it so you will never, ever get a promotion again in the company, or when technology moves on, as it does, you'll be the first to be let go.

I have been in the same department through 4 different acquisitions. The key word is "adaptability". If you show that you can adapt to different business cultures and even shifting objectives, you are far more likely to be a fit with the new company. Over the course of this I have had pretty significant increases in wages and also a couple promotions to more interesting positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

you've described literally any crime