Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Here in Singapore, which has a massive Chinese population in a very dense city unlike say, Scotland and Wisconsin, I’d say there’s maybe 10% of people wearing masks. Ya’ll crazy.

Note if we get wiped out by this disease you can all message me abuse.

EDIT: I can’t tell you how funny the idea of people already wearing masks in Wisconsin is to me.

The same day I checked the mask supplies at various stores for shits and giggles: they were ALL gone. Yet the hand sanitizer supplies seemed perfectly fine lol. People are dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I know it was years ago but I honestly don't remember people being this stupid paranoid even during the peak of SARS.

This is all because there was no social media back then right?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I know it was years ago but I honestly don't remember people being this stupid paranoid even during the peak of SARS.

Also 50 million people weren't quarantined if I remember correvtl

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I created the virus

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Does hand sanitizer help with viruses? I remember hearing that alcohol messes up bacteria, but not viruses. I also remember seeing video of experiments showing many sanitizers don’t kill bacteria all that well, either.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just carry a bottle with 99% ethanol rubbing alcohol and use that for hand sanitizer.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I created the virus

This man is a menace first Kobe now this who will stop him?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This man is a menace first Kobe now this who will stop him?

All these things were done with no malice it's not my fault they turned out poorly

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

All these things were done with no malice it's not my fault they turned out poorly

That seems fair

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

bort posted:

Does hand sanitizer help with viruses? I remember hearing that alcohol messes up bacteria, but not viruses. I also remember seeing video of experiments showing many sanitizers don’t kill bacteria all that well, either.

internet search says yes as long as it's like 70% and used correctly, and even if it doesn't, it definitely kills a lot of bad stuff you wouldn't want your immune system dealing with while trying not to die from coronavirus

washing hands is more effective. That said sanitizer would still be good in the mix to avoid getting raw dried out hands from constant washing.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

70% isopropyl alcohol penetrates the outer layer of micro organisms more effectively due to its water content

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

SARS had just over 8000 identified cases... in a year and a half.

This virus was first spotted in December, and has almost certainly infected as many people in less than a tenth of the time

Yeah, the internet was different then, but this virus is different. It's on track to spread further and significantly faster than SARS ever did. If it hasn't already

Rat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 27, 2020

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Rat posted:

Yikes that wouldn't be fun to deal with the logistics

I just wanted a deep discount kettle and got mask panic

Tonight I'm going to stock up the pantry so I have a month's worth of canned and dry goods if need be. Wouldn't be a bad thing to have extra food around :tinfoil:

This is very troubling that forums poster Rat is showing concern in the Year of the Rat.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Nucken Futz posted:

This is very troubling that forums poster Rat is showing concern in the Year of the Rat.
I am 3 weeks in to the worst flu of my life and I'd rather not chance super plague or running out of supplies again this year

Being sick sucks and being out of food sucks more

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

kazr posted:

70% isopropyl alcohol penetrates the outer layer of micro organisms more effectively due to its water content
Always wash your dick with listerine after you have some dirty sex.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Rat posted:

SARS had just over 8000 identified cases... in a year and a half.

This virus was first spotted in December, and has almost certainly infected as many people in less than a tenth of the time

Yeah, the internet was different then, but this virus is different. It's on track to spread further and significantly faster than SARS ever did. If it hasn't already

The vast majority of SARS cases occurred in the first 2 months - after that, it tapered off significantly - and after month 5 or 6, there were only another 4 cases ever, and some of those were caused by accidents in a lab.

It's similar, we're in the lovely phase, and the increased mobility of the Chinese population is seemingly making this far worse in terms of numbers and spread.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

There are videos circulating of nurses and Doctors having a mental breakdown because they are forced to work in the hospitals for days without sleep.

:nms: View at your own peril.

for goons to scared to watch it's just one lady flipping out, probably the one who always flips out, and then a pissed off dude shouting into the phone

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Sab0921 posted:

The vast majority of SARS cases occurred in the first 2 months - after that, it tapered off significantly - and after month 5 or 6, there were only another 4 cases ever, and some of those were caused by accidents in a lab.

It's similar, we're in the lovely phase, and the increased mobility of the Chinese population is seemingly making this far worse in terms of numbers and spread.
Yes most occurred early on before measures were taken. It's too early to know anything for certain about this disease. What is known is that it appears to spreading quickly, and it's more deadly than influenza. We're also relying on numbers from China which had limited capacity for screening and has not been the most transparent country about, well, anything

The virus is here in Canada (where SARS had the highest mortality rate) and I'd like to stock my shelves before the opportunity may be more risky. I don't know that we're going to be dealing with a pandemic up here, but I am certain getting groceries is going to get a bit more tricky in the near future. Plus there's a sale on beans I just can't pass up

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
does n95 even stop virus

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

What if I keep my body's BAC high enough that my breath can light on fire?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
poo poo that will help that isn't masks:
- hand sanitizer
- food and water for weeks
- trash bags, bleach, disinfectant that's not bleach
- face shields and nitrile gloves
- hell, there's still reusable masks available on amazon. clean them diligently and well and safely tho

N95 will stop the virus, even if 99 and 99.7 are better. The virus isn't airborne without water droplets, and the droplets are fairly big

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

numberoneposter posted:

Can't die from Wuhan Flu if liver failure gets you first! :cheers:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

numberoneposter posted:

Spread the cure friend

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I was reading somewhere a post by someone withing the country that the Central Government was having trouble getting local governments to report accurate numbers. Can someone shed light on why local governments would downplay this to the Central government? Or is this just someone buying into state propaganda?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

MarquisDeSade posted:

I’m glad I moved out of our fixing division to seasonal so I don’t have to worry about trying to buy 300K masks for this. Now nobody cares if I didn’t buy enough salt or shovels this winter.

I better not see an update from you about suddenly needing a lot more shovels

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

Have you even seen Chinese peeps drink in the new years

It won't work, they already tried it

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Chinese flu year?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
extremely wrong thread lmao

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

heard that 2000 people were in contact with infectious chinese persons who flew back to the UK before the ban on leaving came into force, so basically the UK is now plague island. the government is covering it up so far but the hospitals are already turning people away and the ambulance service no longer responds to calls.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This seems suboptimal

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/01/hubei-cities-fearful-china-virus-medical-supplies-run-200126034425456.html

quote:

In Xiangyang, the third-largest city in Hubei and home to more than five million people, there were zero confirmed cases as of January 25, but that has not brought any relief.

"There are no hospitals in Xiangyang that have the diagnostic kit and can provide diagnosis," Yixin Yu, a resident of Xiangyang told Al Jazeera. "The most likely diagnosis you get is viral pneumonia and will be asked to go back home to exercise self-quarantine."

"It can't be that there are no infected people - it's only that no case is being confirmed," Yu added. Xiangyang is about 300 kilometres (186 miles) northwest of Wuhan.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drone_Fragger posted:

heard that 2000 people were in contact with infectious chinese persons who flew back to the UK before the ban on leaving came into force, so basically the UK is now plague island. the government is covering it up so far but the hospitals are already turning people away and the ambulance service no longer responds to calls.

Uh link

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I created the virus

liar

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Some say "They can't confirm cases", others say "They will never reveal the Wuhan secret". Po-tay-to po-tah-to.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
there are some videos floating around of people collapsing randomly. can anyone confirm if they're legit or not?

https://twitter.com/ASBreakingNews/status/1220499377313271808?s=20

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, and there are parts of London the police are afraid to go in because the Muslims run them under sharia law. I heard that from my uncle who works at Nintendo.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah, and there are parts of London the police are afraid to go in because the Muslims run them under sharia law. I heard that from my uncle who works at Nintendo.

Lol

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Can confirm that the UK is plague island, that much is true.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

I also heard the same thing about parts of Michigan from unemployed drunk uncle that watches Fox News all day.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Have you even seen Chinese peeps drink in the new years

It won't work, they already tried it

plot twist:

the alcohol they drank was made from goat rectum and earthworms, both of which have transmitted a novel virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

My S/O works for the NHS and I dunno what this dude is talking about besides that first point which I’ve heard that they are trying to track those 2000 people down.