Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The attachment always had shield guard, don't remember if rise was there or not. Those priests are fuckin dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Captainicus posted:

Didn't seem like much changed - the only one I noticed was resolutes got repairable.

They also lost true sight.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am looking for some advice; I want to build two small armies, like 100 points each or so, for both myself and my wife so we can play together. I was wondering about suggestions for two factions that might be fun to play against one another, and what to buy. The two factions we are interested in are Cygnar, and Khador.

[edit]
Actually, looking at the rulebook, maybe 50 or 75 points instead. Something small.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 28, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am looking for some advice; I want to build two small armies, like 100 points each or so, for both myself and my wife so we can play together. I was wondering about suggestions for two factions that might be fun to play against one another, and what to buy. The two factions we are interested in are Cygnar, and Khador.

Honestly, what are you most interested in the look of? Both of those factions have some very strong builds, but Cygnar has a couple of themes that are really needing an update. For the most part, the game is built to be played at a competitive level, so the factions pair up fairly well against each other almost regardless. The biggest hurdles for some people are the specific Warcasters/Warlocks they want to play since they can run the gamut from Extremely Competitive to Absolute Garbage, but on the plus side, they're also fairly easy to swap out for something different most of the time.

e: A 75 point game is a full sized game, but the Warlock/Warcaster you choose will give you a certain amount of free points to spend on Warbeasts or Warjacks. So a 75 point game is going to be ~100-110 points worth of models.

If you want a smaller game, I'd start with 25 points and build from there, 25/50/75

S.J. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 28, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

S.J. posted:

Honestly, what are you most interested in the look of? Both of those factions have some very strong builds, but Cygnar has a couple of themes that are really needing an update. For the most part, the game is built to be played at a competitive level, so the factions pair up fairly well against each other almost regardless. The biggest hurdles for some people are the specific Warcasters/Warlocks they want to play since they can run the gamut from Extremely Competitive to Absolute Garbage, but on the plus side, they're also fairly easy to swap out for something different most of the time.

e: A 75 point game is a full sized game, but the Warlock/Warcaster you choose will give you a certain amount of free points to spend on Warbeasts or Warjacks. So a 75 point game is going to be ~100-110 points worth of models.

If you want a smaller game, I'd start with 25 points and build from there, 25/50/75

Thank you! We picked those two factions cause they look cool. That is the extent of the research. :P Someone in the goon miniature discord recommended Warmachine University and looking at lists people have put together and shared online. So i'll try there too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah that's a good resource. I use it to cross reference stuff all the time.

And make sure you're familiar with how the various Themes work for list building. In full size games, that's how you'll end up deciding what lists you're playing.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
May be controversial but, proxies can go a long way.

When my playgroup was in college, we used laminated circles of paper because we couldn't afford the models but also because we didn't know what we wanted to play yet. Even now we'll make use of proxies before buying new models.

Third party skeletons sticky-tacked on to 30mm bases? Please do not be mean to my "Assault Kommandos"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm 100% on board with using proxies before you commit to a purchase. Everyone has their own budget to keep in mind.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
To say nothing of the game flat out playing better when certain armies swap out their official models for proxies.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Maneck posted:

To say nothing of the game flat out playing better when certain armies swap out their official models for proxies.

Makes me sad that I haven't skorne butt charged anything in a couple years.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I got into Guild Ball by making teams from Lego so yeah, proxying is great

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

I said come in! posted:

[edit]
Actually, looking at the rulebook, maybe 50 or 75 points instead. Something small.

If your goal is to just have some nice games with the wife, I'd suggest going 50 points. The size is big enough to have diverse armies, while 75 can feel crowded on the table. I'd also suggest starting off with less points, as learning this game can be tough, and learning lots of different units at once can be overwhelming.

Every army has around 4 different Themes (like subfactions). You can play without themes, but miss out a lot by doing so. I'd suggest looking at those before making purchase decisions. Each theme lets you take whatever non-character warjacks you like, but limits your unit and solo choices. The benefit are special rules and free models.

Cygnar has the following themes:

Gravediggers - leans heavily into the WW1 trencher side of the faction. Expect lots of expendable infantry in trenchcoats and a bunker or two.
Sons of the Tempest - The gunmage theme. While gunmages are a cool concept, this theme feels a bit underpowered right now. Not recommended to start, especially not against Khador as Gunmages excel at low damage shots, while Khador excels at high armor values.
Storm Division - the Lightning / crazy Einstein theme. Usually involves one or two units of Storm Cavalry and one or two Battle Engines who shoot Lightning across the battlefield.
Heavy Metal - slightly favours warjacks and their support, with some other units sprinkled in.
Flame in the Dark - Cygnars newest theme. Focuses on fighting the infernal hordes with church-y units. Differs the most from the usual Cygnar themes. it does allow you to take Khador Warjacks as well, so that might be worth looking into.

For the beginning, I'd recommend going for Storm Division or Heavy Metal.

For Casters, I'd recommend Siege1 as an allrounder.

I'm not as versed in Khador, so can't offer any support there.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

[edit]

If it's just 1 vs 1 then Khador and Cygnar work - I'd suggest starting with battle boxes, and looking at the theme forces for both factions and focusing on one each; what is it about each faction that appeals to you? One thing worth bringing up here is that there is a theme - Flames in the Darkness that can be used both by Cygnar and Khador.

I'd go heavy into the warjacks whatever you do; they tend to be cheaper and more visceral than the infantry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering what people thought of this for a 50 point list

Cygnar - Storm div infantry

Theme: Storm Division
49 / 50 Army

Artificer General Nemo - WJ: +25
- Storm Chaser Finch
- Dynamo - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Firefly - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)

Stormsmith Stormcaller - 3 Stormsmiths: 0
Major Katherine Laddermore - PC: 8
- Major Katherine Laddermore (Continued)
Stormsmith Stormcaller - 3 Stormsmiths: 0

Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Stormblade Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
- Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 5
- Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner - PC: 2

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
That's a good start! Just a few things to consider:

- Major Laddermore is very expensive for what she brings to the table. At 75 points, that hurts; at 50 points, the investment feels too great.
- as Nemo3 gives out bonus damage for anything in his control area, raising that area can be clutch. The Squire is an essential Cygnar model that does just that, and can be bought for a requisition point.
- Stormblades are very squishy with DEF 12 ARM 15. They benefit a lot from an armor buff. Thankfully, Cygnar has the Journeyman Warcaster, who can give out Arcane Shield to whoever needs it!

With that in mind, I switched a couple things and built the list how I would play it:

Theme: Storm Division
49 / 50 Army

Artificer General Nemo - WJ: +25
- Storm Chaser Finch
- Squire - PC: 0
- Dynamo - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Firefly - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
Stormblade Captain - PC: 0
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Stormblade Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
- Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 5
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20

I replaced the 6 Stormcallers with a Squire and Stormblade Captain (who can help you with positioning while you're starting out). Laddermore and two gunners where replaced by a Journeyman with a second Firefly.

Both the Squire and Journeyman are essential Cygnar models that find their ways into many, many lists and should be one of the first things you purchase (or be included in any used Cygnar lot you might snatch up; the second-hand market is cheap right now).

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Welp, looks like today's release announcement has finished off my meta. Too bad I've got a hundred bucks of models ordered for delivery at the end of February.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
What happened?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

There's just not much stuff coming out for Warmachine/Hordes in 2020, and our meta has been trailing off anyway. Convergence, Legion, and Trolls get waves but nothing else but Riot Quest crossovers as a big chunk of the publishing schedule goes to the new future IK game, Warcaster.
https://home.privateerpress.com/2020/02/04/warmachine-hordes-beyond-oblivion/

counterspin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 5, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those factions really need stuff and the RQ models have been nice for a variety of factions, so I'm looking forward to it. I've been honestly anticipating Warcaster but I need to see way more details about it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

counterspin posted:

Welp, looks like today's release announcement has finished off my meta. Too bad I've got a hundred bucks of models ordered for delivery at the end of February.

Yeah, this was SUCH a weird announcement, I haven't played for a few years now, but reading this made me commit to selling my stuff instead of hanging into it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I guess that goes to prove there's always someone unhappy. A new faction for released, a good chunk of others receives new themes and a good batch of new things, and the factions in the direst need of some love are finally getting it, and that's "not enough". :rolleyes:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really need to get back into this. I keep these guys on my desk at work

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

I guess that goes to prove there's always someone unhappy. A new faction for released, a good chunk of others receives new themes and a good batch of new things, and the factions in the direst need of some love are finally getting it, and that's "not enough". :rolleyes:

I mean, have you really not noticed that WM is being heavily displaced, in both design and production, by PP's other products? Relatively new, popular products such as Chosen of Everblight haven't been available for months.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been playing warmachine, even went to LVO, and getting a ton of painting done. I still love the game but there hasn't been any new blood in the area for a long while. So attrition is slowly cannibalizing our player base. I understand the negativity people have with the game right now. It's hard to be excited about something that's been contracting for so long. Then hearing a slower release cycle, especially if it's for factions you don't even play, is going to cause people on the fence to finally bounce and sell what they have left

I'm hoping a lot of news comes out for Warcaster soon. It just feels like everyone is waiting to see if it's good or not. I don't think I have it in me to play 40k again

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 6, 2020

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a goon vassal/VTT group for this game? I want to start playing on the regular and the local scene has died off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am lucky in that I live with someone who will play with me, and I am not above playing against myself since I have multiple armies. :v:

Playing over Vassal would be fun too. I would be down for playing with you, Jonas Albrecht.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I am lucky in that I live with someone who will play with me, and I am not above playing against myself since I have multiple armies. :v:

Playing over Vassal would be fun too. I would be down for playing with you, Jonas Albrecht.

Sweet. I've got this coming Saturday evening free?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Then hearing a slower release cycle, especially if it's for factions you don't even play, is going to cause people on the fence to finally bounce and sell what they have left

Yeah I was energised early mk3 when it looked like regular balance updates would be coming out but now it's just completely random whether your currently-mediocre models happen to get a CID and a bunch of new better things to buy.

I miss when my buy list was 'get one of everything in faction, try out different combinations' instead of 'buy 3 units of initiates and 2 champs and 2 archons'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sweet. I've got this coming Saturday evening free?

That works! Are you in the goon miniature discord?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That works! Are you in the goon miniature discord?

Is that a different discord than the one in the OP?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is that a different discord than the one in the OP?

Yes, but I joined the one in the OP just now. So i'll look out for you there.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

What's the goon miniature discord? I'll throw it in the OP

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yes, but I joined the one in the OP just now. So i'll look out for you there.

Cool. You're looking for Spraylan#6839.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So is war room down? It won't load for me and app store says people have been having trouble for days

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There's an option to side load the new update for now if you check out the PP forums, but they're working on fixing it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Finally played Borka 2 the other day and holy poo poo his feat just straight wins games.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

So is war room down? It won't load for me and app store says people have been having trouble for days

Yeah. The last patch made it impossible to load. The fix was apparently trivial, but Google restricts bandwidth for updates so it won't update automatically until some time this weekend. In the interim, S.J.'s side loading recommendation works and will get it going.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Wow, I can't believe they ended warmachine and announced it by shutting down the app.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Wow, I can't believe they ended warmachine and announced it by shutting down the app.

The Infernals won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alpha Phoenix posted:

lol I picked a good time to get into the game.