Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Viral genome has been sequenced

code:
    1 attaaaggtt tataccttcc caggtaacaa accaaccaac tttcgatctc ttgtagatct
   61 gttctctaaa cgaactttaa aatctgtgtg gctgtcactc ggctgcatgc ttagtgcact
  121 cacgcagtat aattaataac taattactgt cgttgacagg acacgagtaa ctcgtctatc
29761 acagtgaaca atgctaggga gagctgccta tatggaagag ccctaatgtg taaaattaat
29821 tttagtagtg ctatccccat gtgattttaa tagcttctta ggagaatgac aaaaaaaaaa
29881 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaa
https://bioinformatics.stackexchange.com/questions/11227/why-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-genome-end-in-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/
code:
   1 attaaaggtt trumptrpmutr caggtaacaa accaaccaac trupupupupu trtupopom
  121 cacgcagtat aattaataac tarpurptrump cgttgacagg acacgagtrp ctcgtctmpc
29761 acagtgaaca atgctrumpa gagctgccta turmpaagag ccctuptgtg taaaarumpt
29821 tttrumpagtg ctatccccat gtgattrpaa tagcttctta ggagrutamp aaaaaaaaaa
29881 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaa trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Egg Moron fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 28, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looking at the numbers further, out of Wuhan's 2,714 cases they have had 100 deaths, and currently 563 cases are serious and 127 critical. That's 3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gh0stpinballa posted:

reminded of the war nerd article about nukes, the glorious release from this cycle of pain and suffering. coronavirus is shouldering the burden of guilt, doing what we lack the courage to do, releasing us to blissful nothing, easing our passing not so much into but through death, to radiant nirvana. hail corona, latin for "sun".

crown

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Captain Gordon posted:

Its funny how we continue to let one garbage country with a totalitarian government (thats obsessed with not looking bad) nearly kill the human race with deadly viruses over and over again

but enough about the US,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Charlz Guybon posted:

Looking at the numbers further, out of Wuhan's 2,714 cases they have had 100 deaths, and currently 563 cases are serious and 127 critical. That's 3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical.

not good, not terrible

whats considered serious? requires hospitalization-but-not-ventilator?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

well that's that new hospital filled up i guess

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Friends, at work today I overheard that not only is this virus most certainly engineered by the government, but that the newly-created Space Force holds the patent to it.

This is from the same guy two cubicles down from me that also thinks that the Rothschilds started the PG&E wildfires last year so, you know, he definitely has well-connected sources.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

things don't look that bad, yet

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ok guys i updated the graph!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

nikosoft posted:

Friends, at work today I overheard that not only is this virus most certainly engineered by the government, but that the newly-created Space Force holds the patent to it.

This is from the same guy two cubicles down from me that also thinks that the Rothschilds started the PG&E wildfires last year so, you know, he definitely has well-connected sources.

mods, give me the space flu

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Xaris posted:

not good, not terrible

I assume critical needs a ventilator given the main killing symptom is pneumonia. So, if the numbers get out of control like it seems they will, all those poor folks will die because there won't be enough ventilators to go around.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Viral genome has been sequenced

code:
    1 attaaaggtt tataccttcc caggtaacaa accaaccaac tttcgatctc ttgtagatct
  121 cacgcagtat aattaataac taattactgt cgttgacagg acacgagtaa ctcgtctatc
29761 acagtgaaca atgctaggga gagctgccta tatggaagag ccctaatgtg taaaattaat
29821 tttagtagtg ctatccccat gtgattttaa tagcttctta ggagaatgac aaaaaaaaaa
29881 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaa
https://bioinformatics.stackexchange.com/questions/11227/why-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-genome-end-in-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/
Gttct = gattaca 🤔🤔🤔

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

we will start having eerie dreams, in one a tall dark stranger by the name of pete buttigieg will call us to join his army in south bend, in another hillary clinton will be playing acoustic guitar on the porch of jeffrey epstein's temple, there is no good side to join

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Still can't believe that the fish flu reads the thread

Wish it was a better poster though. Like gently caress I'd even be okay with it hitting classic memes like Brett Stevens is a bedbug at this point

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thank you, ghoeberx

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

we're literally all gonna loving get sick lmao

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gh0stpinballa posted:

we will start having eerie dreams, in one a tall dark stranger by the name of pete buttigieg will call us to join his army in south bend, in another hillary clinton will be playing acoustic guitar on the porch of jeffrey epstein's temple, there is no good side to join

Biden spells MOON

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Minrad posted:

thank you, ghoeberx

im saving some room for tomorrows update

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
A quick google search says 10-25% of the population gets the flu each year.

Using the Wuhan numbers I quoted earlier as a base (3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical)

If 10% get sick that's 27,600,000 dead world wide, 35,100,000 critical and 155,550,000 serious.
If 15% get sick that's 41,400,00 dead world wide, 52,650,000 critical and 233,325,000 serious
If 20% get sick that's 55,200,000‬ dead world wide, 70,200,000 critical and 311,100,000‬ serious.
If 25% get sick that's 69,000,000 dead world wide, 87,750,000 critical and 388,875,000‬ serious.

Obviously hospitals would be overwhelmed by these numbers and if critical cases necessitates a respirator or ventilator nearly all of them would die since there aren't nearly enough.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus, imagine if we lose a world war's worth of people in a month or two. What a nightmare.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Please stop taking the number who have died and dividing it by the current number of known cases to try and get a mortality rate. The only way you can calculate a mortality rate is by dividing the number who died by the number of people who are no longer sick (either because they are dead or they got better). Because we won't know the number who were sick but are now better but never went to a hospital, it's going to take a while before we can even vaguely get an idea about the mortality rate, we just have to wait until diagnosis rates go up to a high enough percentage of the people sick, then we can actually see how many of them die

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Gordon posted:

Its funny how we continue to let one garbage country with a totalitarian government (thats obsessed with not looking bad) nearly kill the human race with deadly viruses over and over again

yeah i remember when president Xi said "complete global saturation" at the end of RE5 too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus, imagine if we lose a world war's worth of people in a month or two. What a nightmare.

Malthusianists smile in approval

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

if, like me, you're feeling freaked out by this talk of "preventing the spread" and "finding a vaccine", i would like to share this by dr dolan. i hope it brings you the same comfort it brought me (swap out nukes for "allowing the virus to spread"):

quote:

Life on earth hit its peak during the Ice Ages, and we are now killing off the few species from that period who survived our first coup, ten thousand years ago...The lives of all the horrible humans in Houston are not worth even one Columbia Mammoth.

We have guides sent ahead of us into oblivion. When we pull the plug, press the button, drop the nuclear dime on ourselves, we will suffer no more than the Mammoth suffers. We owe them; let’s join them. We can make our first act in the afterlife a formal apology to the Tasmanian Wolf, the Cave Bear, the Mammoth.

But at least their suffering is over now. The Mammoths’ suffering ended when the last calf, watching its mother being hacked to death by ugly apes wearing caribou skins, trumpeted in shock and pain and tried to run — and was hacked to death, screaming, then silent. And when its life went out — the blowing out of a candle — the suffering of all Mammoths ceased, gave way to something entirely different: Nirvana. The Nirvana of the Mammoths, where they wait for us now.

[...]

Imagine a prisoner condemned to be tortured to death, huddling in a cell waiting for the next call to the bloody floor where his teeth are extracted, one by one. One day someone slips a knife under the door of his cell. For the first time, he has the option of ending a life of pain. And, like a true slave, he throws the knife away in horror, hands it over to the guards so that he may continue to be dragged out and tortured at their pleasure.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Xaris posted:

not good, not terrible

acute respiratory symptoms, so basically yes

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the whole "serious" v "critical" thing is always a bit messy but it can usually be eyeballed as admitted vs. ICU or similar

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

number go up!!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

the whole "serious" v "critical" thing is always a bit messy but it can usually be eyeballed as admitted vs. ICU or similar

good question is whether people are critical because of lack of ventilators, doctors, etc that would otherwise be serious

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

for now this is officially the best thread on cspam

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

for real we both need to start taking bets but also start a thread tontine for the last surviving after the quelling

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

love too track the wuhan flu with my posting friends

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

for real we both need to start taking bets but also start a thread tontine for the last surviving after the quelling

How long will it take to infect Baghdad? 2 days
Will Trump be killed? Yes
Total chinese civillian casualties: 5000000 dead

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

your move!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

there's like a lot of things to be concerned about right now

we basically have a significantly less dangerous version of SARS in the absolute (i.e. outcomes are better in those who get it) but its significantly more contagious and will likely have significantly more cases when everything is said and done.

What I would really, really caution people about right now is taking the reported number as absolute. Reported cases are those that have been tested and confirmed in a laboratory. They are going to hedge towards the cases that are serious enough to be prone to hospitalization. There are likely significant observed community cases that will not be reported because the people are asymptomatic. Coronaviruses, as a rule, are more dangerous the older you get. One of the postulations good virologists throw around is that we're seeing them more and more because the population of the world is getting older. The deaths in 2019-nCoV from the literature we have all hedge towards being older and immune compromised.

Basically: there are a lot of people who are getting the virus who aren't getting sick. The total mortality isn't known, and right now its tracking towards CAP. While that's real bad, it's not "end planet earth" bad. Likely if you're under 40 and in decent shape, even if you get this it won't be worse than a normal run-in with the flu.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

How long will it take to infect Baghdad? 2 days
Will Trump be killed? Yes
Total chinese civillian casualties: 5000000 dead
Lmao

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

gh0stpinballa posted:

if, like me, you're feeling freaked out by this talk of "preventing the spread" and "finding a vaccine", i would like to share this by dr dolan. i hope it brings you the same comfort it brought me (swap out nukes for "allowing the virus to spread"):

Nirvana is achieved through patient optimism, diligence in following the eightfold path, and practice such virtues as giving and kindness until perfect wisdom is achieved not through nihilistic lust formlessness which only leads to you being reborn as at best a preta or at worse nalanka. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Doc Walrus posted:

code:
   1 attaaaggtt trumptrpmutr caggtaacaa accaaccaac trupupupupu trtupopom
  121 cacgcagtat aattaataac tarpurptrump cgttgacagg acacgagtrp ctcgtctmpc
29761 acagtgaaca atgctrumpa gagctgccta turmpaagag ccctuptgtg taaaarumpt
29821 tttrumpagtg ctatccccat gtgattrpaa tagcttctta ggagrutamp aaaaaaaaaa
29881 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaa trump