Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

Disagree, this game is great if you had terrible relationship drama recently, speaking from experience.

no loving lie, there were some actual therapeutic effects in playing this back then (did one or two effortposts about it even)

imho because of the similarities through worldbuilding and characterization, disco elysium manages to get rather close to be a psychodramatic exercise: although I have not been nowhere near Harry's level of damage regarding his bereaved heart, there was a certain part of me that just knew that, all things considered after the ex and I went our ways, things got really bad, but in the end they could have gone way loving worse than they actually did and I might have went all loving in with drugs or whatever to just halt the suffering, so having a character to play through his mess was a strongly emotional - and perhaps enlightening - experience to me at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

RattiRatto posted:

About to start this game since so many friends recommended it to me.
Going in completely spoiler free - any must know before i get in?

Only two things:

1. 20 réal by day 2, like others are saying
2. Even though the game is tracking the date and time, there is no time limit. It's encouraged that you go slow and take your time through everything.

Play whatever copotype you want, with whatever stats and thoughts you want, and make whatever decisions you want.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Entorwellian posted:

Only two things:

1. 20 réal by day 2, like others are saying
2. Even though the game is tracking the date and time, there is no time limit. It's encouraged that you go slow and take your time through everything.

Play whatever copotype you want, with whatever stats and thoughts you want, and make whatever decisions you want.

Piggy backing on this, time only moves forward when in the dialogue interface, which also includes books and games. Similar to Persona, this gives the player lots of time to walk around and see what’s what without moving the clock.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Specifically time only moves when you pick dialogue screen options you haven't read before.

Going back to re-read a dialogue doesn't cost you any time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Specifically time only moves when you pick dialogue screen options you haven't read before.

Going back to re-read a dialogue doesn't cost you any time.

unless its a book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

itry posted:

There's a gainedItems list in the second json file in your saves.

You can find the ID's here: https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/Category:Items
Yeah, but adding items to said list doesn't actually give them to you. Unfortunate, because I really wanted to start a die-addicted hardcore failcop run.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but adding items to said list doesn't actually give them to you. Unfortunate, because I really wanted to start a die-addicted hardcore failcop run.

Does the custom die actually do anything?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does the custom die actually do anything?
Yeah. Every type of die helps you with certain rolls, and the custom dice also unlock certain white checks.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 26, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. Every type of die helps you with certain rolls, and the custom dice also unlock certain white checks.

what

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
All dice unlock related checks, pretty sure.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

That is why the new religion should revolve around Contact Mike

The 1-5000 rank outsider, Contact Mike?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sat down on a bench and enjoyed the cold, misty weather today. It was quite enjoyable! Strong recommend, become the Shivers.

Welcome to the supra-natural side, friend.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Yeah all dice can unlock some white checks that were locked (it can be hard to tell which unless you had them locked) and also give a +1.

You can sorta kinda tell which custom dice will help with what checks by the descriptions the dice maker gives but it's more art then science

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Also, was I a bad person for making Egghead a moralist? Probably, yes.

Did I still laugh my rear end of at him saying things like "SUSTAINABLE PROGRESS" with the same energy as before? Absolutely.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can roll red checks only once but you can roll white checks once per unique check. That is, if your check changed because you gained a custom modifier or because you leveled up that skill then you can retry that check.

As soon as I realized that I was saving my skill points until I failed a white check I wanted to succeed. Then I'd level up that skill and get to retry that check, now with better odds even.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's probably intended behaviour given you can level up skills at any time.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sadly, drugs do not unlock white checks though. Electrochemistryyyyyy!!!! You failed me again!

EDIT : Putting on your A-shirt and tracksuit pants, downing a beer and putting another point into Phys Instrument while grunting "It's Prybar Time(tm)" works a treat though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tylana posted:

Sadly, drugs do not unlock white checks though. Electrochemistryyyyyy!!!! You failed me again!

EDIT : Putting on your A-shirt and tracksuit pants, downing a beer and putting another point into Phys Instrument while grunting "It's Prybar Time(tm)" works a treat though.

Those pants scientists really knew their poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I maxxed out my Rhetoric Trying to talk my way into that shipping container.. It was worth it but still feels like I wasted a HUGE amount of points on a single skill.
Also Gods I know I'm being unprofessional Kim but it's this or I sleep in the loving street Kim. What the gently caress do you want out of me Kim? Professionalism? You're lucky I'm still a professional at all.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah, I love Kim, but he gives you a lot of unhelpful static about trying to finance this investigation. Does he think essential police footwear for an urban environment comes standard?

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
Given how bad RCM wages probably are, I hope Harry at least gets some cash for selling the photo of the Phasmid. Guy deserves some luxury for what he went through to get it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
One thing that will be difficult about writing sequels to this game is that the plasmid scene can never have the same impact because it relies on the player being unsure that crypto organisms exist in the setting.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

One thing that will be difficult about writing sequels to this game is that the plasmid scene can never have the same impact because it relies on the player being unsure that crypto organisms exist in the setting.

I think the existence of pale stuff that is both confirmed to be real but also left very abstract - the closest thing you get to seeing it in action is Ruby's noise machine - leaves a sense of mystery for what could happen in a sequel.

Besides, only one crypto organism has been confirmed to exist by the endgame reveal. Judging by the number of rumoured species given it's extremely unlikely most of them are anything more then hoaxes and/or racial stereotypes mythologized to make them more acceptable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the phasmid scene's power has anything at all to do with the question of the existence of cryptids. It's like the world spirit rising to patronize you, and it's entirely coincidental that it takes the form of a cryptid.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The sequel should have the same setting and similar mechanics but different themes. I want it to be more about the city. Shivers will give you an overview of the districts, I bet that sequel bait.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It'll be a story that they think needs telling. Same world, same Metric system. Maybe Metric 2nd Edition.

If they want cryptids in it, it will have cryptids. :shrug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I’m down for whatever story they decide to tell, because while I personally have things I’d like to see, I trust them to make better storytelling decisions that I ever could. I look forward to going on any future rides with them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

itry posted:

If they want cryptids in it, it will have cryptids. :shrug:

gently caress it. Let's have one more cryptid.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I read this story today:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118845051/the-liberator-how-one-mans-15000-pest-fish-changed-new-zealands-waterways

and i couldn't keep the DE endgame out of my mind

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is there any status on the book that take place in DE's world having an English translation?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hmm

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Is there any status on the book that take place in DE's world having an English translation?

IIRC they said they would try to have it ready sometime this year. I think that's still the last word on it

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Can I give myself a 6666 character? I just want to see as much of the text as I can at once, I love this and the cast of internal narrators thing but I don't think I have the appetite for sitting in front my desktop to play this enough times to compare the experiences of several builds.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Sure, to do a supercop you just need to edit a save file. The save files are in plain text so you look for the stats and change them to 6. There's instructions online.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

number one pta fan posted:

Can I give myself a 6666 character? I just want to see as much of the text as I can at once, I love this and the cast of internal narrators thing but I don't think I have the appetite for sitting in front my desktop to play this enough times to compare the experiences of several builds.

this is not a good idea.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's fine. The funny thing is that being unable to fail locks you out of lots of stuff in its own way

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
It's not a power-trip thing. I played the first hour with a few different configurations and realised the cast of alternate narrators your stats represent and how they create different versions of the text with different genre hallmarks for different players is relevant to my studies. The intended effect is instead of playing 4422/2244 or 6***/*6**/**6*/***6 I can see and compare those experiences without needing to sink an awful lot of time into it. I'm mostly finished with my actual for fun run.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I played through the game three times, the last time being a save edited Super Stats Cop. It was pretty fun, got to see things I wouldn't otherwise. I agree it's a stupid way to play through the game initially, but it's perfectly fine when you already have an understanding of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Can you reach the end of the Dick Mullen book? The pages always fall out when I try to read it.