Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MRC48B posted:

I like this photo of Ho Chi Minh better:

Uncle Ho is the guy third from the left in a collared white shirt and shorts.

The two guys either side of him are US OSS officers. The picture is from 1945.

We make our own enemies.

He gave our president a letter asking for help after WW1. The thought being since we also got rid of our colonial overlords we would be willing to help.

Instead we hosed him and he got help from the Soviets instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

In the future version of this thread we get to post pics of Kurdish leaders.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

And we never did it again.

If I was elected president I'd make the CIA put up a digital sign that says "Days since training irregulars has gone wrong" that resets at random a couple times a week.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bulletsponge13 posted:

And we never did it again.

Depends on your definition of 'it'.

Actually I don't think we've had any CIA trained militias attack us recently.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fort Bragg can have one of those signs too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

quote:

LEBANON, TN (WSMV) - A man making a court appearance on a charge of simple possession was arrested on Monday after lighting a marijuana cigarette in the courtroom.

Spencer Boston was called to discuss his case before General Sessions Judge Haywood Barry. Spencer was talking about how marijuana needed to be legalized. He reached into his pocket and pulled out what appeared to be a rolled marijuana cigarette. He placed it in his mouth, then pulled out a book of matches and lit it and began to smoke the rolled cigarette. The cigarette gave off the odor of burning marijuana.

The courtroom erupted into laughter at Spencer’s action, disrupting the normal daily activity in the court. Spencer was taken into custody and charged with disorderly conduct and simple possession of a Schedule VI drug.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/wilson_co...30ea943c91.html

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ded posted:

He gave our president a letter asking for help after WW1. The thought being since we also got rid of our colonial overlords we would be willing to help.

Wasn't this partly due to the feeling of obligation to not go against French allies? I mean probably a bit of racism mixed in there too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
"A bit"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

We needed the French to stop being salty bitches about West Germany.

In exchange we didn't interfere with the way they ran their "Colonies"

Then we got a bunch of Smart Guys in Washington who framed every third world disagreement as Free World vs the Dark Forces of Communism.

A lot of people died because of this mindset.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

The hero we need.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
When I said world war one it was not a typo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope Shaq goes out like he went in Ultimate Showdown so when people do all these called it tweets like they did for Kobe we get to see SAs greatest hits

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eulogistics posted:

It's testament to our strength that the only enemies we can't beat are the ones we trained ourselves :)

We didn't train Bin Laden.

Like we most certainly threw money and weapons at the Mujahideen fighters and the ISI, but not him.

ded posted:

I always like how he asked one of the OSS advisers for a copy of the Decelaration of Independence so he could model a Vietnamese one addressed to the French.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 28, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bin Laden was running around Afghanistan with his own money. One of the reasons he founded Al Qaeda was that he was mad that we were involved there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thomas Markle is such a piece of poo poo. There's all sorts of bad poo poo going on in the world, by all rights I shouldn't give a gently caress about something related to the Royal Family, that isn't Andrew's association with Epstein. But I've really developed a special hatred of this rear end in a top hat.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

Bin Laden was running around Afghanistan with his own money. One of the reasons he founded Al Qaeda was that he was mad that we were involved there.

Yeah, this is correct.

Also we didn't train ISIS, either. They were originally AQI, Al Qaida in Iraq. Sure, we created them in the sense that they would never have existed if we didn't invade Iraq. But we never gave them any kind of support whatsoever.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

bloops posted:

I did. His testimony isn’t worth poo poo. NTSB is going to rely on the flight data recorders and any radar tracks. Not some guy wearing a defunct airline hat.

I’m not being a prick either. I worked a flight safety job in the USAF for several years as a ground duty when not flying. The USAF teaches this in the school house. There’s little to no value in eyewitnesses. If I recall correctly, something like 82% of eyewitness reports claim a mishap aircraft was on fire and the jet never was.

The Navy Aviation Safety school house agrees too. Worse is that it’ll often lead people down the wrong track. Photos, videos, engineering data, radar, recordings, and “black box” data are the most reliable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are times I think we could've gotten away with Iraq if the Bush Admin had been halfway competent and made things a bit better for the average Iraqi. Of course a more competent administration probably wouldn't have waltzed in there in the first place. Sectarian tensions probably would have blown up one way or another though in any scenario where we invaded.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ded posted:

When I said world war one it was not a typo.

People forget just how old ho was and just how much wilson sucked

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Casimir Radon posted:

There are times I think we could've gotten away with Iraq if the Bush Admin had been halfway competent and made things a bit better for the average Iraqi. Of course a more competent administration probably wouldn't have waltzed in there in the first place. Sectarian tensions probably would have blown up one way or another though in any scenario where we invaded.

Yeah my impression is that an administration that wasn't completely delusional would have probably resulted in the whole thing being significantly less bad, possibly even a net positive eventually. But being completely delusional is the entire reason they went in in the first place so it's kind of moot.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

If we'd have told the Iraqi Colonels "You're working for the US now," they'd have kept a lid on things and we could have transitioned out. As it was we acted like we were trying to create the conditions of a failed state.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

People forget just how old ho was and just how much wilson sucked

I mean let's be honest, we all knew the guy who had Birth of a Nation screened at the white house wasn't exactly batting a thousand on not being a shithead.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SimonCat posted:

If we'd have told the Iraqi Colonels "You're working for the US now," they'd have kept a lid on things and we could have transitioned out. As it was we acted like we were trying to create the conditions of a failed state.

Coincidentally, this week the only way I see China removing Kim Jong-un

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

And it still would have drawn resources and attention from Afghanistan regardless.
It was a terrible, unnecessary decision and nobody making it would have been halfway competent to begin with.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SimonCat posted:

How else are the contractors going to get paid for what's almost two decades now? It's still amazing to me Cheney had a sizeable stake in Haliburton as they were making money off decisions he helped make.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's still amazing to me Cheney had a sizeable stake in Haliburton as they were making money off decisions he helped make.

It's practically Executive branch policy now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Casimir Radon posted:

After reading Fiasco, my firm conclusion was that the US Army and the Bush Administration had succeeded spectacularly at ensuring there would be a violent and bloody insurgency with every single decision they made.

hmm yes let's disband the entire army and fire nearly everyone from government and tell them they can't get work here again. wait, why are all these unemployed men with weapons training attacking us? why are there constant rolling blackouts, a total lack of social services, and garbage piling up in the streets? someone help my invasion is dying

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
as an aside it's a good read (though probably outdated now, book came out in what, 2005?) but Fiasco has made me more angry than almost any other book I've read

Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and the rest of those insane idiots deserve to be kicked in the balls and the teeth twelve times a day, every day, from now until the loving sun goes out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The entire War on Terror is peak American exceptionalism

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Acebuckeye13 posted:

as an aside it's a good read (though probably outdated now, book came out in what, 2005?) but Fiasco has made me more angry than almost any other book I've read

Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and the rest of those insane idiots deserve to be kicked in the balls and the teeth twelve times a day, every day, from now until the loving sun goes out.

Yeah it’s bad, especially as W. gets to live in luxury as a retired elder statesman, with no fear of a war crimes trial.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it’s bad, especially as W. gets to live in luxury as a retired elder statesman, with no fear of a war crimes trial.

Bush was probably the second least corrupt Republican president in the last half century, and I'm not even trying to say anything nice about him here.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

We might have avoided some of the fire directed at us with a different set of decisions, but Iraq was never going to go well. I think once you invade, the civil war was almost inevitable. Best case scenario is you get Saddam 2. And people there rightfully hating us was inevitable with any sustained occupation.

The only strong non-state institutions left were religions and local big men. So your options were to either maintain a state that was built for authoritarian minority rule (Saddam 2) or do what we did and destroy the state, which makes civil war, religious fervor, and the rise of local strongmen inevitable.

Plus, there was no way we weren't becoming an enemy of the people with how the war was sold. At least 25% of the average soldiers and marines believed the lies about how "they did 9/11" or worse some variant of the "it's a new crusade" thing, making them view the average Iraqi as subhuman, leading to casual cruelty and contempt.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/business/chipotle-child-labor-law-violations/index.html

Looks like the going rate for child labor violations in the US is $100. At that price, why wouldn't you?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/business/chipotle-child-labor-law-violations/index.html

Looks like the going rate for child labor violations in the US is $100. At that price, why wouldn't you?
I find that the tears make my burrito taste better.

Kidding aside I washed dishes at an Old Country Butthole for 3 weeks when I was 17 then quit in the middle of a shift when I had enough. They pulled poo poo like clocking you out at 10PM if you were under 18, but requiring you to keep cleaning until it was done. They've mostly been sued out of existence now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

American Hero Eddie Gallagher posted a video calling out and naming the SEALs who reported and testified against him, including one who’s now a part of Team Six. Guess outing members of a SMU is cool and good with the Fox News crowd now. :coal:

quote:

In a three-minute video posted to his Facebook page and Instagram account Monday, retired Chief Special Operator Edward Gallagher, 40, referred to some members of his former platoon as “cowards” and highlighted names, photos and — for those still on active duty — their duty status and current units, something former SEALs say places those men — and the Navy’s mission — in jeopardy.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ied-against-him

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

American Hero Eddie Gallagher posted a video calling out and naming the SEALs who reported and testified against him, including one who’s now a part of Team Six. Guess outing members of a SMU is cool and good with the Fox News crowd now. :coal:

I mean not much of a development but man that guy is a huge piece of poo poo.

Also big if true,
https://twitter.com/realalexrubi/status/1222195959859417088?s=21

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If I got to be dictator for a day I think one thing I'd do is cut the DoD budget in half and use the part that was cut either straight in to the Department of State or stand up an organization specifically dedicated to improving things with drat near any other set of tools besides military intervention. We keep asking the military to be peace keeping forces or economic development agents or nation builders and it just doesn't loving work.

Guess it's profitable for the MIC though so welp, never gonna go away until we have some pretty serious poo poo go down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

I mean not much of a development but man that guy is a huge piece of poo poo.

Also big if true,
https://twitter.com/realalexrubi/status/1222195959859417088?s=21

Everything Trump does, eventually, helps the Russians.

Its amazing.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Acebuckeye13 posted:

After reading Fiasco, my firm conclusion was that the US Army and the Bush Administration had succeeded spectacularly at ensuring there would be a violent and bloody insurgency with every single decision they made.

hmm yes let's disband the entire army and fire nearly everyone from government and tell them they can't get work here again. wait, why are all these unemployed men with weapons training attacking us? why are there constant rolling blackouts, a total lack of social services, and garbage piling up in the streets? someone help my invasion is dying

I had a RAND wonk complain to me in the late '00s that RAND had compiled a report for the DOD on stabilization planning for Iraq and Rumsfeld did the opposite of almost every recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

pantslesswithwolves posted:

They should Guantanamo that piece of poo poo.