Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzUrHvSOmEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Plague inc is an amazing game but so far I'm failing to eradicate all humans. So don't worry guys our descendants will survive if heavily inbred :wink:

Half remembering this but apparently humanity hit a bottle neck in africa back in the day, down to about 50,000 individuals. We'll be fine.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hallelujah posted:

a poo has emerged from my bum, repeat, a poo has emerged from my bum, over

You can be Benedict Cumberbatch

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Sounds like you are making it to deadly to fast. Gotta keep it mild till at least every country is solidly infected.

Yeah I remember the old flash game from like 10 years ago. I'm just trying to roleplay it and make a perfect bacteria that makes people crazy and unpleasant without making GBS threads blood and what not :shrug:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

this thread made me watch Contagion again

fun movie but I never noticed how they stress that matt damon only lost a cheating wife and non-biological son lol

Celexi posted:

yeah, plague inc is easy if you start slow, by the end I couldn't lose the game even if I wanted to save humanity as my virus was out of control bythen

i always had to start with high-contagion/limited symptoms, then mutate into super death bug

its like if someone figured out how to weaponize hpv, the human race would be finished

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

bones 4 beginners posted:

I live in Hong Kong and can't find masks anywhere, online or in store. When I get on the metro I'm one of the only people without a mask. But yeah still see tons of people with it around their neck, without their nose covered, touch their face under the mask, etc. I hoped to snag some before a flight next week but I guess I'll be bringing the disease to Florida :twisted:

Doing the lords work. Catch a connector to Arizona and Utah also please

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So does India have any cases yet? tons and tons of Indians study in China although they may have left for home just in time?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Durf posted:

this thread made me watch Contagion again

fun movie but I never noticed how they stress that matt damon only lost a cheating wife and non-biological son lol

i always had to start with high-contagion/limited symptoms, then mutate into super death bug

its like if someone figured out how to weaponize hpv, the human race would be finished

HIV is already uh, "perfect" as far as a world-ending virus. Very long period of infectivity before serious symptoms, many initial symptoms are quiet, doesn't kill right away (sometimes for years even without treatment, and decades with). It's only downside is it's a fragile little bitch. If it mutated to being airborne, or hardier in fomites even, it would be disastrous for humanity.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

13Pandora13 posted:

HIV is already uh, "perfect" as far as a world-ending virus. Very long period of infectivity before serious symptoms, many initial symptoms are quiet, doesn't kill right away (sometimes for years even without treatment, and decades with). It's only downside is it's a fragile little bitch. If it mutated to being airborne, or hardier in fomites even, it would be disastrous for humanity.

If you have money HIV is a joke. See : Magic Johnson. Also, like everyone in North America in 2020. HIV barely kills anymore in rich areas.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Nuclear War posted:

So does India have any cases yet? tons and tons of Indians study in China although they may have left for home just in time?

I think there was a confirmed case of an Indian nurse in Saudia Arabia.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
There is never going to be a doomsday virus. Anti-Virals keep getting better, quarantines are better enforced and the public knowledge/testing keeps improving.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Despera posted:

There is never going to be a doomsday virus. Anti-Virals keep getting better, quarantines are better enforced and the public knowledge/testing keeps improving.

Can't say the same for antibiotics :laugh:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

coronavirus posted:

If you have money HIV is a joke. See : Magic Johnson. Also, like everyone in North America in 2020. HIV barely kills anymore in rich areas.

Lol yes, most of the planet is rich, you got me. Even assuming that was somehow a thing, if suddenly 10-20% of the population has it resources would run scarce. It's ability to remain infectious for years without killing it's hosts with or without treatment and lack of outwardly obvious symptoms for an extended duration makes it an incredibly successful virus. This is why hemorrhagic fevers are (usually) so flash in the pan as far as location and duration, they kill too quickly and too obviously.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Despera posted:

This assumes a level of global stability that’s Pollyannaish in the face of unchecked global warming.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Until someone figured out an HIV vaccine. Then HIV is basically relegated to sub populations in third world countries and subpopulations of extremely affluent countries. I bet antivaxxers would be all over an HIV vaccine. Just not for their kids.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

This is true, but I do wonder how hosed up a country like China has to get before its economy shits the bed, and then the aftershocks causing a mild to moderate global recession. All these quarantines are hurting productivity.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Chinese remake of Silent Hill looking good
https://twitter.com/bbcworldservice/status/1221866083315015682

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning: Avoid all nonessential travel to China. Chinese authorities are imposing quarantines and restricting travel throughout the country.

Level 4: Do not travel to Hubei province, China due to novel coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/china-travel-advisory.html

How common are these types of advise?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

Can't say the same for antibiotics :laugh:

Pharmacuticals just don't spend money on developing them anymore.

The government should offer billions of dollars in grants to universities to try to develop new ones.

Vote Sanders

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Despera posted:

I think this is incorrect. Granted I have no medical background but an airborne smth with a long asymptomatic incubation that was decently fatal would wreck absolute havoc until we stopped air travel and industry [with further massive impact from that] wouldn't it?

I've always been morbidly fascinated by apocalyptic stuff

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Spinz posted:

I think this is incorrect. Granted I have no medical background but an airborne smth with a long asymptomatic incubation that was decently fatal would wreck absolute havoc until we stopped air travel and industry [with further massive impact from that] wouldn't it?

You need the perfect virus for doomsday to happen. Asymptomatic but fatal (a weird combo) airborne (beefy) and contagious. Humanity survived a virus where everyone caught it and a third died. You are asking a lot for a little encoded rna.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning: Avoid all nonessential travel to China. Chinese authorities are imposing quarantines and restricting travel throughout the country.

Level 4: Do not travel to Hubei province, China due to novel coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/china-travel-advisory.html

like for illness? Obviously pretty rare. For like "they'll kill you, you loving idiot" pretty frequent. Bolivia was 4 last month dropped to 2 now that things have cooled off a little.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Charlz Guybon posted:

Pharmacuticals just don't spend money on developing them anymore.

The government should offer billions of dollars in grants to universities to try to develop new ones.

Vote Sanders

Has Sanders talked about the antibiotic problem before? A couple of months ago I remember talking to someone about the election and mentioned how I don't really like any of the Dem candidates for various reasons but if one would mention antibiotics research as a serious issue (and hey maybe even a policy proposal!) I'd probably support them on that alone.

I suppose when health care is such a disaster and no one can afford it and everything sucks talking about antibiotic research when asked about health care generally in a debate or whatever would come off as pretty out of touch.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

reading up about this I discovered the application process to go to north korea includes a step where you write out your will and tell your family how you want to be buried

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This is humanity's final decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhsjf7rXPvw

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Spinz posted:

Concurrent smallpox and measel pandemics killed 95% of the people in the Americas. The pilgrims landed in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1221990534643929089?s=20

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

That guy has credentials but he also seems to be trying to get on TV

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
At the same time, though, can you blame people for being skeptical over what the Chinese media is saying?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The nature article with the biosafety lab gives me the heepie jeepies. My experience more with cleanrooms than biolabs, but yeah, all it takes is one sloppy moment and you don't have a tracable yield hit to some bullshit consumer goods and someone's bottom line but instead an epidemic.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Fingle-Ding is back!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Doing the lords work. Catch a connector to Arizona and Utah also please

Alternatively hit San Francisco so the streets will stop being poo poo in.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Spinz posted:

It's also necessary to have the right evolutionary conditions to get a mass killing virus; bubonic plague evolved from a minor stomach bug over thousands of years in northeast asia amongst sparse rodent populations with occasional pneumonic outbreaks. The Spanish flu gained it's deadly second mutation only due to the trenches of WW1, where seriously ill soldiers would be pulled back to spread it quicker in rear area hospitals, the opposite evolutionary incentive to a modern quarantine. Without actual bioweapon design put into one it is rare for evolutionary incentives to come together in just the right way.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Charlz Guybon posted:

Concurrent smallpox and measel pandemics killed 95% of the people in the Americas. The pilgrims landed in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Just to be clear, they landed, gave the native american population smallpox, bubonic plague, chickenpox, cholera, the common cold, diphtheria, influenza, malaria, measles, scarlet fever, sexually transmitted diseases, typhoid, typhus and tuberculosis, creating an apocalyptic landscape..

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Blitter posted:

Just to be clear, they landed, gave the native american population smallpox, bubonic plague, chickenpox, cholera, the common cold, diphtheria, influenza, malaria, measles, scarlet fever, sexually transmitted diseases, typhoid, typhus and tuberculosis, creating an apocalyptic landscape..

Can't wait for first contact.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Blitter posted:

The Spanish landed in Mexico in 1519 IIRC, the Pilgrims in Massachusetts in 1621. The Americas were already a post-apocalyptic landscape when they arrived.

Small pox and measels were definitely the main killers, although those other diseases helped of course.

Though native strains of tuberculosis was already present in the New World, and it's widely theorized that Syphilis originated in the New World and was the one serious disease to make the Colombian exchange in the other direction.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Spanish landed in Mexico in 1519 IIRC, the Pilgrims in Massachusetts in 1621. The Americas were already a post-apocalyptic landscape when they arrived.

Small pox and measels were definitely the main killers, although those other diseases helped of course.

Though native strains of tuberculosis was already present in the New World, and it's widely theorized that Syphilis originated in the New World and was the one serious disease to make the Colombian exchange in the other direction.

Don't forget coca and tobacco addiction :colbert:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
17th century syphilis was no joke either

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youre
Dec 30, 2019

your kid is showing flu like symptoms and you must pick them up from day care immediately and they are not allowed back in until you have proof from a doctor that they are clear.
Noice!