Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nah, this episode established coffee exists in this universe, so we’re fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeffe posted:

We're all loving the looms idea

I definitely am not loving the looms idea.

Jeffe posted:

I get the feeling there was some major war pre-Hartnell, just a feeling since the guy was proud enough to want to keep his medal. The only one mentioned ever was against the vampires, and I can't remember if that's a book-only thing.

The Time Lords war against the Vampires is from State of Decay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jeffe posted:

We're all loving the looms idea

Looms can burn in hell with the Doctor is half-human and all that Ulysses garbage :argh:

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

marktheando posted:

I definitely am not loving the looms idea.

Honestly I don't care about them, I just always loved the idea of the "Other" itself, especially since it was in relation to McCoy's Doctor, who was the greatest one until Smith...fight me. On the surface requires the looms, but there could certainly be other explanations to invent. All three (The Doc, Omega, and R-Dawg) could not remember who they were before, anything really.

I should really stop polluting my mind with ideas from the two book ranges though, something new could always be better, and I think in the end they tried to say the Time Lords (or at least the Doctors) were really sentient crystals modeled after the Doctor and stuff, so whatever, that all got pretty nutty, and I doubt Chibnall would be aware of all that. Or, we could debate where Ruth fits in with the events of The Infinity Doctors :D

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeffe posted:

Honestly I don't care about them, I just always loved the idea of the "Other" itself, especially since it was in relation to McCoy's Doctor, who was the greatest one until Smith...fight me. On the surface requires the looms, but there could certainly be other explanations to invent. All three (The Doc, Omega, and R-Dawg) could not remember who they were before, anything really.

I should really stop polluting my mind with ideas from the two book ranges though, something new could always be better, and I think in the end they tried to say the Time Lords (or at least the Doctors) were really sentient crystals modeled after the Doctor and stuff, so whatever, that all got pretty nutty, and I doubt Chibnall would be aware of all that. Or, we could debate where Ruth fits in with the events of The Infinity Doctors :D

Well as well as the "Timelords don't gently caress" aspect of looms, I strongly dislike the idea that the Doctor is somehow special or different from other Time Lords from birth so this better not go anywhere close to The Other. The Doctor is special because of their actions and choices, not because of some special destiny or being the reincarnation of some dude or whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I unironically like the Looms. Never got why people didn't like them. All Marc Platt's Gallifreyian history rules.

Oh, and timelords do gently caress. They just can't carry pregnancies to term, so they use the Looms as a substitute.

Though, of course, the second book to use the Looms in any capacity actually solved this problem, rendering Looms redundant so...

Jeffe posted:

I think in the end they tried to say the Time Lords (or at least the Doctors) were really sentient crystals modeled after the Doctor and stuff, so whatever, that all got pretty nutty, and I doubt Chibnall would be aware of all that.

Sometimes Never... was a pretty big book at the time. He'd probably have read it.

That said, The Gallifrey Chronicles undoes that explanation (which exists entirely to fix up a plot hole) about five books later.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 28, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really, really missed going :tviv: at Doctor Who, and the combination of the new Master and Jack and a second Doctor has me just :allears: as all hell.

This is all the stuff I missed last season when there was no connection to any plot other than what was happening.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I mean, if you really want to see the Looms on screen, they were right there at the heart of Kryptonian society in Man of Steel.

For all that film's faults, I think it had the best version of Gallifrey.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow that was a heckuv an episode. I wasn't expecting any of that.

I also wasn't expecting how much love the Alternate Doctor would be getting and the amount of hate Jodie would be getting compared to her on the official Doctor Who FB page, but then again. It's fuckin Faacebook

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Well, the risk-taking plots are back!

One alternative option nobody has mentioned yet: the Doctor lies. Why couldn't Doctor Ruth be a potential future Doctor (a la Orphan 55's alternative time) who remembers being Thirteen, and remembers everything going wrong, and wants to try to prevent her own future from occurring? That would explain some strange coincidences (like hiding in the precise time period and area where Thirteen operates), and make the "what's that" with the sonic screwdriver a deliberate deception. Even the buried TARDIS is shades of the Hand of Omega. And given how unusual the "two of the same Time Lord in the same place" is according to Gat, it seems interesting that Doctor Ruth knows precisely what the risks are. Her moves seem very new show era, too.

I do wonder if whatever is coming for the Doctor will turn out to be new or old. Omega would be an interesting possibility--maybe the alt-future Gallifrey is one where Omega escaped, went back in time, and restarted society without Rassilon--and the Black Guardian has the juice to do this level of chaos upon space-time. Gat's uniform looks like streamlined Time Lord ceremonial robes, so that's interesting. And the Kasavin may end up factoring in to all of this.

Jack is definitely going to be back.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, The Gallifrey Chronicles undoes that explanation (which exists entirely to fix up a plot hole) about five books later.

Ooh, I should really finally read that, I grabbed it for Kindle at some point and forgot, it's been so long since I read the books but I guess I'd remember most of the major plot threads throughout the range. Did anyone ever finally get it out of Mad Larry who the Enemy were supposed to be?

Regarding the episode, I rewatched the crucial parts of it today - Ruth really nailed being The Doctor! Kind of more of a classic one, which is surely intentional. Ok, it's weird to give a fictional character kudos for being another fictional character, as if "Ruth" was the actress, but you get my point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interestingly, this felt like a BF or New Adventures/EDA plot to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jeffe posted:

Did anyone ever finally get it out of Mad Larry who the Enemy were supposed to be?

Sorta. Miles wanted to release a book that contained the revelation, but kinda like how Clue was originally released, they'd actually be twelve(!) different versions of the revelation in twelve different releases of the otherwise same book. Fandom would have to choose which one they preferred, or accept that all of them happened.

He's only revealed one version of the prospective reveals, and it was time-active space whales, presumably the same ones from the then-unreleased Song Of The Megaptera by Pat Mills.

Weird, but he made Krotons work so...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

Well, the risk-taking plots are back!

One alternative option nobody has mentioned yet: the Doctor lies. Why couldn't Doctor Ruth be a potential future Doctor (a la Orphan 55's alternative time) who remembers being Thirteen, and remembers everything going wrong, and wants to try to prevent her own future from occurring? That would explain some strange coincidences (like hiding in the precise time period and area where Thirteen operates), and make the "what's that" with the sonic screwdriver a deliberate deception. Even the buried TARDIS is shades of the Hand of Omega. And given how unusual the "two of the same Time Lord in the same place" is according to Gat, it seems interesting that Doctor Ruth knows precisely what the risks are. Her moves seem very new show era, too.

I do wonder if whatever is coming for the Doctor will turn out to be new or old. Omega would be an interesting possibility--maybe the alt-future Gallifrey is one where Omega escaped, went back in time, and restarted society without Rassilon--and the Black Guardian has the juice to do this level of chaos upon space-time. Gat's uniform looks like streamlined Time Lord ceremonial robes, so that's interesting. And the Kasavin may end up factoring in to all of this.

Jack is definitely going to be back.

I think you underestimate just how hard the Doctor breaks all the rules of time travel into pieces and then stomps on the bits until they're ground to powder.

Gat's turning up her nose at "It's an ABOMINATION" kind of made me go, aw, that's cute. You must be new to the villain thing on this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

I strongly dislike the idea that the Doctor is somehow special or different from other Time Lords from birth so this better not go anywhere close to The Other. The Doctor is special because of their actions and choices, not because of some special destiny or being the reincarnation of some dude or whatever.

Absolutely, "they're super special by default/divine right/bloodline" bullshit is one of my least favorite things in almost any media. The fact that Hartnell's 1st Doctor went from being a superior rear end in a top hat who considered anybody other than himself and Susan as inferior and then thanks to Ian and Barbara (and Steven and Vicki and Polly and Ben and hell even Dodo) softened and became a better person is one of my absolute favorite things about the character. The Doctor going from the detached scientist who kidnapped two humans to teach them a lesson to gaining a moral compass and becoming an active force for good is an absolutely wonderful career development.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I feel like I just let out a big sigh, finally a really drat good fun episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was impressed at how good Jack looked. gently caress it, bring him back as a regular companion for a series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Now that I’ve finally seen the episode, I’m going to bet on the theory that Ruth is a Doc between 2 and 3. The way she’s hiding on Earth, how she describes the job she has but didn’t sign up for, how the Time Lords have put a bounty out for her capture. Maybe the 2nd Doc was on a mission as an agent for the Time Lords, he’s killed, then the newly regenerated RuthDoc decides to use this opportunity to try and hide from them. Then, after whatever is going to happen this season happens, the Time Lords wipe the Doctor’s memory and dump 3 and his TARDIS in a field.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I guess it would ruin the surprise and mystery if 13 just asked RuthDoc who the last regeneration was that she could remember.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if the show's gonna have an explanation that reaches back into the classic series. Seems a little too complicated.

That said, they brought back Jack and he's not been around since, what, 2010? Though he was also a)part of the new show and b) a lead on a relatively popular spinoff.

But yeah, anything more complicated than "before the classic series" is, I reckon, out of the ballpark. So it's probably not a Season 6b plot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just watched this. Ruth Doctor rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shades of 6's color scheme in her outfit too (both what he wore and what he WANTED to wear) which is very nice considering Chibnall wasn't a fan of his run at the time it aired :shobon:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chibnalls said it's not parallel universe or anything

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jo-martin-first-black-doctor-21373790

Also mentions we won't see Jack again this year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mehall posted:

The Jack thing is kinda weird since this episode, to me at least, seemed to setup or hint at a big Journey’s End type season finale with a bunch of recurring folks showing up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barrowman was recently hospitalized. That might be part of it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Interview with Barrowman about his appearance
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=john-barrowman-captain-jack-is-back-series-12#_

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He called RTD who got all excited about Captain Jack being back too :3:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

feeling ultra dumb because I’m only just now getting the humor in the Doctor’s cover identity as a tour guide

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

He called RTD who got all excited about Captain Jack being back too :3:

I'm not the biggest NuWho fan around these here parts, but I'll always say that Barrowman as Captain Jack was really great. It's an absolute pity we didn't get to see more of Jack with Nine and Rose, I thought they had really good chemistry as a team.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor landing the TARDIS in Jack's ship and letting him in as he and Rose dance, because he's recognized that Jack has a streak of nobility beneath the brash exterior, was an absolutely fantastic ending to The Empty Child/Doctor Dances two-parter.

Jack: Much bigger on the inside.
Doctor: You'd better be.

:kiss:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love Jack so much that I watched every goddamn minute of every season of Torchwood.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly, this felt like a BF or New Adventures/EDA plot to me.

A black, female Doctor, you say?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CommonShore posted:

I love Jack so much that I watched every goddamn minute of every season of Torchwood.

Same. :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now that I’ve finally seen the episode, I’m going to bet on the theory that Ruth is a Doc between 2 and 3. The way she’s hiding on Earth, how she describes the job she has but didn’t sign up for, how the Time Lords have put a bounty out for her capture. Maybe the 2nd Doc was on a mission as an agent for the Time Lords, he’s killed, then the newly regenerated RuthDoc decides to use this opportunity to try and hide from them. Then, after whatever is going to happen this season happens, the Time Lords wipe the Doctor’s memory and dump 3 and his TARDIS in a field.

If she's after 2 she should know what a sonic screwdriver is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't Thirteen ever used the name "Sonic Screwdriver" though, and in Two's time, the sonic was used only as a screwdriver.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

mehall posted:

I saw this and just sort of thought that when it comes to mystery boxes or whatever, not sure what you can take at face value. Sure, not a parallel universe but.. a parallel doctor?

The newest theory I've seen is it's a set of regenerations before the 1st doctor which is kind of a thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

I saw this and just sort of thought that when it comes to mystery boxes or whatever, not sure what you can take at face value. Sure, not a parallel universe but.. a parallel doctor?

The newest theory I've seen is it's a set of regenerations before the 1st doctor which is kind of a thing.

What if the Doctor was somehow a closed loop of maybe dozens of sets of regenerations. Go far enough back and you run into Whittaker, Capaldi, etc again. :stare:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

I don't like that theory, because the only reason to bury the TARDIS is if it's stuck as a police box, which means it's post Hartnell.

If the chameleon circuit is working then you wouldn't need to hide it. As Nine said to Rose in the hologram message, just leave it on a street corner, everyone will ignore it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure the explanation is going to piss everyone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mehall posted:

Oh so this episode was a fluke and this guy really is bad at this.