Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

to samuraifoochs the poster. i would like to avoid saying some bad platitudes or trying to come up with advice when you're the one who has been dealing with this for many years. know that your mental wellness is cared about by me and others who probably don't know what to say and don't want to seem like a smelley dorkus. however with all that said, i believe it's time for foochs to become an advocate for a professional wrestler, and perhaps even a 'stable' under which multiple wrestlers are managed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm crossposting this from the Disability Thread I made in TGRS because I want my prograps pals to know what I'm going through as well, if you dislike whining from me please feel more than welcome to ignore:

If you read that thank you, either way carry on, god bless
I fuckin' well wish it were as simple as "always ask what you're worth," because then that'd be good advice, but it isn't. So... fuh.

I got nothin' but hope and love, and solidarity about capitalism being just the worst.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can only say that you served your time. If thinking of it as a tour of duty makes you feel better then by all means do.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm crossposting this from the Disability Thread I made in TGRS because I want my prograps pals to know what I'm going through as well, if you dislike whining from me please feel more than welcome to ignore:

My advice? Self-care is VERY important. The world does need more advocates, but we need more long-burning candles than hot-burning flares.

And if you need to, you blow the candle out and relight it down the road.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

My advice? Self-care is VERY important. The world does need more advocates, but we need more long-burning candles than hot-burning flares.

And if you need to, you blow the candle out and relight it down the road.

Pretty much. Take time to regroup and breathe if you need/want it

Big picture: The cause will still be there when you get back, even if some of the people you talk with or some of the places you talk in aren’t anymore

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Follow the airplane emergency rule: make sure your oxygen mask is on before helping other people with theirs. if your mask is slipping off, you owe it to yourself to take the time to put it back on.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

there’s no pouring from an empty pitcher, Foochs

refill your metaphorical pitcher by taking care of yourself

burning yourself out on what’s right before you is depriving the future of a fully revitalized and energized samurai, imo

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 28, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been rewatching Star Trek TNG and got to this episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6_bZOglUw0

Spot was the best character in all of Star Trek.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

A pretty cat. And a good cat.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Foochs, please take care of yourself first and foremost. I hope things get better soon.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SamuraiFoochs posted:

it is hard to judge if your good works are individually achieve anything but you being out there doing it adds to the collective pressure IMO. be well, foochs

Mekchu posted:

Spot was the best character in all of Star Trek.

they recast that dude more than the mountain

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

"have I done enough?" vs "am I doing too much?" is a good dilemma to be in.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I can only say that you served your time. If thinking of it as a tour of duty makes you feel better then by all means do.

That's the thing. I've been at least semi-professional advocate since the age of 16, and I've never stopped. By that metric, if it was a "traditional" job I'd be halfway to retirement right now. Problem is I don't get paid (enough) for that to even be a fraction of a fraction of the case. The other problem is, if I don't do this, then I don't know what to do. It's all I've ever known. Do I just let myself be lazy? Everyone wants me to go to grad school but gently caress that, they want me to go back for either law or a government job, neither of which I want for myself (not to mention I have no undergrad student debt, which is swell).

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Love you guys.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think that if you are the kind of person worrying about being lazy, you usually don’t need to worry about being lazy.

I expect that most of the time when you know what you want to do, nothing stops you—you just go out of your way to do it.

If you knew what you wanted, you’d do it. This might even be part of the issue: scouring your brain for whatever the solution might be. But if you knew, you’d already be doing it. That kind of scouring is its own blockage.

Let yourself not know what to do.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Magic posted:

I think that if you are the kind of person worrying about being lazy, you usually don’t need to worry about being lazy.

I expect that most of the time when you know what you want to do, nothing stops you—you just go out of your way to do it.

If you knew what you wanted, you’d do it. This might even be part of the issue: scouring your brain for whatever the solution might be. But if you knew, you’d already be doing it. That kind of scouring is its own blockage.

You're 100% right and I've never thought about it like that before. I was raised to just always be doing, that any one minor meeting or conference or whatever could change one's life, which isn't a terrible attitude from a positive lens, but is extremely toxic when it turns into "but this is why you must do the things".

Thank you all so much for the kind words, advice, and encouragement. It's exactly the kind of thing I needed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Magic posted:

Holy poo poo, this is great advice!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

twitter nuked my account with no explanation so welp bye twitter

Foochs, you're doing God's work and should be proud as hell of what you've done and continue to do. CaptainMagic's advice is perfect.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Foochs, you're doing God's work and should be proud as hell of what you've done and continue to do. CaptainMagic's advice is perfect.

Wait what? Why the he? Also it really is great advice.

Also my mom and I are in a vicious cycle. She wants me to go to a Disability Policy Summit in DC. Not a terrible idea on the face of it but here's the thing. We'd be paying to go (unless something changes) and I'm like God damnit I refuse to live my life paying to be a loving poster boy. It's bullshit.

She was like "I was talking to [this lady she and I know] and she thinks you'd be great" and my response was "Okay, yeah, great for what?' and she was like they do interviews and record videos and stuff. So I'm thinking okay, so in other words I'm continuing to whore out my likeness for free.

She has such a boner for anything related to DC because that's where SHE wants me to be. And I've told her over and over again that that's not my life. She's convinced I need to work a government job which would make me absolutely miserable.

We're in this vicious cycle where she believes I need to continue to volunteer in order to get work, whereas my opinion is if I keep volunteering I'm never going to get work because people will just take for granted that they can get me for free.

Oh and by the way, if I did go to the DC thing at best I'd turn around, leave from three days in DC and immediately go to the penultimate meeting (I think) of the thing I'm actually getting paid for. Seems insane to me.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

foochs should start a wrestling promotion

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh but seriously I posted:

foochs should start a wrestling promotion

sounds less stressful tbh

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

sounds less stressful tbh

Unironically probably a wash at worst.

Not even joking.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

put up some flyers

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You're 100% right and I've never thought about it like that before. I was raised to just always be doing, that any one minor meeting or conference or whatever could change one's life, which isn't a terrible attitude from a positive lens, but is extremely toxic when it turns into "but this is why you must do the things".

Thank you all so much for the kind words, advice, and encouragement. It's exactly the kind of thing I needed.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Holy poo poo, this is great advice!

DJExile posted:

:kiddo: I do ONE unit help.

I had to teach class so I couldn’t write the last part: obviously this is a problem I have from time to time. What I’ve noticed is that when I completely let myself not solve it, not know what to do, and just to be open to whatever the universe is going to put in front of me...within 24 hours the solution just kind of arrives without me even trying for it. It’s like, turning that switch that allows you to understand that the solution isn’t in those brain folds you’ve mined over and over for days now opens your awareness up to other avenues of possibility.

Just my experience. These days, the hardest part is noticing that I’m actually doing that scouring stuff because it feels so much like basic problem solving.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DJExile posted:

Well at least we know for certain now that you're not a white supremacist I guess v:shobon:v

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well at least we know for certain now that you're not a white supremacist I guess v:shobon:v

hurray! :toot:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

put up some flyers

I needed this laugh. Bless you. Mom's still banging on about the DC thing and I've said unless we can get at least 75% expenses covered, I sleep, but she's saying she'd settle for half covered I'm like STOP IT she's like you wouldn't be paying for it anyway I'm like I DON'T CARE. I need to be thinking about it as though every bit of it is my direct investment. I don't think we'll be able to get it covered at all anyway so whatever, but it's the principle of the thing.

Also there's a legislative breakfast on Saturday to which I am going to but I need to get up at the rear end crack of dawn (by my standards) for it. Typically I put on some podcasts and sleep in the car on the way to these things because I need the energy but now we're driving not one but two extra people which basically means no sleep for me. :smith:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i liked 1917 i'll admit it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why don't people like it?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

yea ok posted:

i liked 1917 i'll admit it

It seems really technically impressive but also a very tough watch. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do they fucka fucka?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
1917 out here trying to one up Finn Balor and I don't approve.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't know nancy drew was a kid

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Cavauro posted:

why don't people like it?

dunno if they dont or not. anything with oscar buzz and winning awards i assume online people hate, just covering all my bases so i keep each and every one of my friends

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1917 was great. I mean, it won't win Best Picture because Parasite is gonna win that. But it was still great!

If Deakins doesn't win for Cinematography then I haven't got a loving clue.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If your World War I movie doesn’t talk about how it was French(both Gallic and Colonial) and Russian bodies that saved Europe from the Kaiser I don’t wanna hear about it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
love movies that are just didactic history lessons from a modern perspective

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

too many people lie on here nowadays

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

im watching "ivan the terrible, part 1 (of 2)" russian people be hosed up LOL

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

coconono posted:

If your World War I movie doesn’t talk about how it was French(both Gallic and Colonial) and Russian bodies that saved Europe from the Kaiser I don’t wanna hear about it.

The movie isn't remotely about who wins or loses the war, it's an extremely personal story set against a horrifying backdrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
also viewing any belligerent in ww1 in terms of “good” and “bad” is loving bananas