Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The counterpoint is that it's easy enough to get yourself into a situation where if you're on a losing streak, you'll be left with nothing to get until you clear the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jossar posted:

The counterpoint is that it's easy enough to get yourself into a situation where if you're on a losing streak, you'll be left with nothing to get until you clear the final boss.

Usually at that point you have enough darkness stuff to still unlock (and devs say more is coming)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
For me it happened twice: in the beginning stages of the game when I was still struggling to clear at all, yes, but also somewhere around low (2-3) heat. The first time there was still darkness to get, but by the second I was already pushing into boon rarity and fated authority and there wasn't that much left to improve in terms of mechanical toolkit.

But I think i'm on the lower end of skill for the thread and it's a testament to the game that there was still enough story to keep things interesting.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jossar posted:

I just looked it up and man, the Fated Authority costs get completely ridiculous. I cannot imagine how you'd get the 165,000 darkness necessary for all 10 rerolls before you're stuck on the darkness minimization pact for all your weapons.

You can get 2000 darkness per run if you grab chaos and Poseidon's boons for +darkness, like 3.5x dropped value. Run a 0 heat warm up every day and aim for those boons.

That is the very last thing you can spend darkness on pretty much, I think it's just a sink to give you something to do with it. You're not supposed to max it out- and you're going to have to clear a key room or two on every run anyway, unless you use fated authority on key rooms I suppose.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I very rarely get anything good with the rerolls anyway, usually it's gems into darkness into another key or something. Doesn't seem worth the grind

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

I very rarely get anything good with the rerolls anyway, usually it's gems into darkness into another key or something. Doesn't seem worth the grind

There are two teirs of rerolls. Meta progression currency (darkness keys gems and nectar) always only rerolls into another one of those. Everything else can be rerolled into everything else and there is usually some pattern.

Like if I haven't gotten second hammer by Elysium, rerolling coin and heart usually get there in 2 while God boons less often.

I think they do it this way to balance your pickup power level. Only so many of the run specific upgrades at once I guess.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well that's handy to know, cheers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I don't mind getting Nectar because the Contractor upgrade turns it into a Free Pom and I'm always low on Nectar, but yeah I often reroll Coin with recent coin changes it's less useful, and I generally avoid Shops until unavoidably forced to take one. I usually have enough to buy a Diamond at the end and a couple shop items throughout the run.

it's actually three tiers
0 - Shop (considered lowest tier by the game; cannot be re-rolled)
1 - Darkness/Keys/Gems/Nectar (although Nectar seems less chance to be rolled than D/K/G but that could just be RNG)
2 - Boons/Hammer/Coins/Hearts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nectar is for sure rarer.

Lost my streak recently on a crappy spear run and that lowered dash distance hammer upgrade is not very fun. I wasnt expecting it to reduce my iframes too but I guess thats logical.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just got this in the sale, had about 7 or 8 runs so far. I can get to the snake boss in the second area but he kicks my ars right now, so I'm focusing on getting keys and purple gems to upgrade my core stats and abilities to make the fight a little easier. Game is starting to open up, and more and more upgrade paths are becoming apparent. I love this structure.

As with all Supergiant games the writing and delivery is top notch. But the gameplay is also great, which has often been a "could be better" thing in most of their games, and the writing and characters have carried a lot of their past games, for me. But in this one they both work hand in hand to deliver an almost unique experience. This is the Ur-Supergiant game. The "if you only have time to play one Supergiant game, make it this one" one.

So that said, a question or two:
How do I charge the 4-segment meter that enables me to use the crys?
Are there any resources I need to be careful about spending, or do you get everything fully unlocked in the end and the order in which you do so is nothing more than a matter of preference of playstyle?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cactus posted:

How do I charge the 4-segment meter that enables me to use the crys?
Dealing or taking damage. You probably won't get to use the Greater Call except on bosses.

quote:

Are there any resources I need to be careful about spending, or do you get everything fully unlocked in the end and the order in which you do so is nothing more than a matter of preference of playstyle?
Titan Blood is the main one: it can't be refunded once spent, and you only get 5 of them until you either beat the game for the first time or do something relatively arduous. Once you beat the game for the first time, it'll introduce a new mechanic that'll allow you to get a lot more.

Diamonds and Ambrosia are similarly limited but there are fewer things you can usefully spend them on.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Dealing or taking damage. You probably won't get to use the Greater Call except on bosses.

Not sure if I'm missing something but that doesn't seem to be the case? Last run I picked up a cry ability and the meter came below my health, and remained empty for the entire run. Some kind of bug perhaps?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cactus posted:

Not sure if I'm missing something but that doesn't seem to be the case? Last run I picked up a cry ability and the meter came below my health, and remained empty for the entire run. Some kind of bug perhaps?

it empties between fights

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oooh right so thats how it works.

Okay. One more run before bed.

One more.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cactus posted:

Oooh right so thats how it works.

Okay. One more run before bed.

One more.
yeah, on trash fights generally use it as soon as it's up. No real downside (assuming you dont do anything dumb with positioning while trying to use it).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To elaborate a bit more, there are a few Boons that increase the rate God Gauge fills (Athena's just straight starts encounters with a portion already full), and you can use Call as soon as a single bar is full. Greater Call uses the whole gauge, and typically lasts longer/has higher potency than if you'd activated it 4 times (but there are also Boons that do stuff like "increase your damage after a Call for X time" so you might not always want to hold out for the full thing even in boss fights.)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is cast the only multiplicative chaos bonus? Feel like all the damage buffs in this game need a rework/rebalance. A lot of the boon combos feel like gotchas unless you really know how the mechanics work. Just had a run where I had 200% dash attack damage and 50% cast damage and the latter was WAAAY more consequential.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
dash attack boosts can become really drat useful when you get used to the speed of the game and spend like 90% of your time dash attacking

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

bamhand posted:

Is cast the only multiplicative chaos bonus? Feel like all the damage buffs in this game need a rework/rebalance. A lot of the boon combos feel like gotchas unless you really know how the mechanics work. Just had a run where I had 200% dash attack damage and 50% cast damage and the latter was WAAAY more consequential.

isn't this just a case of casts having much higher base damage than dash attacks, so even a smaller boost still gives you a bigger damage increase

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I stopped picking Athena's call after they lowered the duration to 1 second or whatever. Is this a mistake? Even the greater call seems kinda poo poo now. Am I missing something?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sort of? But not really.

Lets say my base attack is 25. I get +200% dash damage. Now I do 75 with it. Then I get a boon that's +100%. Now I do 100 damage.

With my cast lets say I have a 150 damage cast. I get 50% buff form Chaos, now it's 225 damage.

It's straight up 50% more damage for the cast. For my attack buff I'm getting +100% from Chaos but I go from 75 to 100 which is only a 33% increase.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I read that all the Chaos buffs are multiplicative unlike everything else.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

I stopped picking Athena's call after they lowered the duration to 1 second or whatever. Is this a mistake? Even the greater call seems kinda poo poo now. Am I missing something?

yeah idg why you'd ever take athena's call over ares' which also makes you invulnerable but lasts longer and does damage. not sure why i'd care about a few seonds of deflect while i'm already invulnerable

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah idg why you'd ever take athena's call over ares' which also makes you invulnerable but lasts longer and does damage. not sure why i'd care about a few seonds of deflect while i'm already invulnerable

i guess the upside is you can actually attack during athena's, which will probably do more damage than ares' blade storm

of course since you have a literal second to do that it's a bit tricky to make it worthwhile

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

dmboogie posted:

i guess the upside is you can actually attack during athena's, which will probably do more damage than ares' blade storm

of course since you have a literal second to do that it's a bit tricky to make it worthwhile

Sometimes a second is a lot if you can spend it rubbing your face against a boss.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

Athena's call duration scales with level (pomegranates). Epic level I think is 2.88 seconds at level 5 or so? x6 for greater call is a LONG bout of invulnerability.

Latest patch notes say they increased the god gauge cost (harder to charge) and increased the duration.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Athena's call lets you use your own attacks, which can be better than the damage you get with Ares. On top of that, you're also reflecting damage back at the enemy.

Ares' call is good but with some builds I would rather have Athena's

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Can you romance Dusa? Best orb.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

I read that all the Chaos buffs are multiplicative unlike everything else.

I'm almost positive they're not. Now that I think about it I think the only reason cast is "multiplicative" is because none of the cast boons are % buffs so the Chaos buff is the only one that buffs casts by a %.

On a scaling related note, I keep taking Hunter Dash in hopes of discovering it's not trash but I get proven wrong every time. Maybe with a fully upgraded Adamant Rail it's alright but otherwise it's SOOO bad with any of the melee weapons. All the other dash attacks do something like 50 damage that you can chain 2-5 times in a row, meanwhile Artemis gives you a single instance of 25 damage with no bonus effects on it. Plus pom upgrades are absolutely insulting for it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The best dash in the game is Athena. Fight me.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No one will fight you on this one

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I think Zeus’ dash can do a loving shitload of damage to the point where you basically can just dash around the map. If you get enough Pom / support talents it’s likely viable.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Poseidon dash is the most fun and I think the highest damage dash.

bamhand posted:

On a scaling related note, I keep taking Hunter Dash in hopes of discovering it's not trash but I get proven wrong every time. Maybe with a fully upgraded Adamant Rail it's alright but otherwise it's SOOO bad with any of the melee weapons. All the other dash attacks do something like 50 damage that you can chain 2-5 times in a row, meanwhile Artemis gives you a single instance of 25 damage with no bonus effects on it. Plus pom upgrades are absolutely insulting for it.
It’s good with the bow and fantastic with Hestia rail. I think it works with spear spin attack. Its main advantage is working from the range of your weapon rather than some circle around you.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think the main problem is you can only attack once per dash chain while all the other dashes go off once per dash in your chain. So even with the bow you get a bonus 60 damage while two Poseidon dashes will net you 100 damage. The bow range/pierce is better than the Poseidon dash of course but overall the boon feels bad unless you're trying to do a very specific thing.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

kaschei posted:

Poseidon dash is the most fun and I think the highest damage dash.

My most fun run was getting that and the hermes +3 dashes epic boon before being out of the underworld. The run was just me dashing around everyone and everything at 10000rpm, while not taking any damage because of dash invulnerability.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Love the game though I am bad at it. Or at least with the rails. Took me something like 20 tries to clear the hydra after already doing it with shield, spear and bow. What was the first three-diamond upgrade everyone took? I went for nectar since it seems to have the biggest influence on the current run.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

genericnick posted:

Love the game though I am bad at it. Or at least with the rails. Took me something like 20 tries to clear the hydra after already doing it with shield, spear and bow. What was the first three-diamond upgrade everyone took? I went for nectar since it seems to have the biggest influence on the current run.
They're all pretty good. Doing it over I might do it in the order of darkness, key, nectar, gems, because nectar is apparently super rare.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I have underworld problems like “getting nectar before a boon so nothing gets upgraded.”

I’m getting 2-3 per run and it doesn’t feel rarer than prepatch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've done about 40 runs and have gotten more than 1 nectar like... 8 times max. No idea why it is so rare for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I've done 21 runs and haven't picked up enough nectar to get all the trinkets yet. I wonder how much ambrosia I'll have before I'm able to spend any.