Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

An inexperienced game modder (and I mean literally having no experience whatsoever with mapping, lighting, texturing, rendering etc), could make a good looking map (or maybe impressive for the time) within a few weeks, less than a month, with tools available at the start of 2000 (I'm thinking Max Payne games here).

An experienced modder could do wonders within a few days with those old tools.

CryEngine's modding tools were even easier to use from what I recall and one could reach beautiful looking results even faster and definitely with less hassle. And that was back in 2007-2008 era.

Those would be "playable" too, in the sense that you could build them, launch them from the game and have a playable character running around, probably with other NPCs too with basic AI standing around or attacking.

And that's what one can accomplish by just working on their free time for no money whatsoever.

The most popular example would be Black Mesa (with Valve's quite poo poo modding tools at the time) showing off awesome art from the early project days.

My point is, it's not the "looking good part" that is difficult in making a game. It's not even the "playable".

It's the optimizations and support for various PC configurations and setups, the smooth gameplay, the gameplay loops, the battle choreography, the AI scripts, collision detection/ pathfinding optimizations, physics programming, fixing of major bugs and glitches, setting clear progress markers and possibly winning conditions, and a whole lots of other crap I could literally bore the thread with listing here -- and probably most people here know about these already.

Oh, and of course, setting a viable end in sight for development, when you'll have a publishable game in your hands, and move steadily towards it, making hard decisions when it seams to be slipping.

CInotG literally does the first easy part, or has done for years, while consistently failing in the latter part and using the "pre-alpha" as an excuse. It's like having E3 trailers for a game for a series of years of "look how great is going to be!!1" while at the same time delivering broken as poo poo "gameplay". It's why they stopped doing E3's because most sane people realized what a joke and/or scam this is. It's also why they stopped giving dates and moving to "when it's done". A model that is justified for a mod project or maybe a struggling indie studio but is laughable when we're talking about a company that has been given more than $200 millions and has missed all deadlines they've set publicly to date.

:reddit: "Oh but look! This year's 'Con trailer/ demo still shows awesome stuff, so clearly they have accomplished more than they give us. Guys, let's pledge more to make this possible."

I'm not trying to say the game is good, at all. Just trying to give some credit where it's due. They've developed some really nice art assets, I think. They aren't the only space game that does...ED looks pretty good, and hell, even X: Rebirth looks nice enough. Just saying, in this one aspect, texturing and modeling, they did alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Antigravitas posted:

I'm going to Äkshually you here. Doing this is actually not a bad idea because opening individual files is much, much slower than just doing skips and reads on a gigantic one. If you do the layout of your gigantic file right you can read tiny files really fast. So in dev you can have your hideous tree of shader fragments and on release it's just a giant ball of tar. Most games therefore use a virtual file system on top of one or many packed blobs of data.

Updating those blobs is pretty much a solved problem. There are file formats that operate in chunks and can be bindiffed efficiently despite being compressed, or the file format might be designed to be extended later by the updater because it's a miniature file system inside.

Again, solved problem, solved decades ago. I'm not surprised they've never heard of it.

I've got a question for you if it's ok to ask, since you know more about this than I do. If you do things this way, how do you handle the IO of generating parallel file handles through a the single file handle for the main pak? The texture loading was incredibly slow, and I'm using hardware that didn't exist 2 years ago, so it should crush their ancient poo poo code. The drive light was pegged constantly, even on an SSD. "It's not optimized yet" isn't even on the table as an explanation, because loading such a small area as a wankpod should have been done in the blink of an eye even before optimization. Is the pak encrypted/decrypted on the fly or something equally boneheaded?

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 28, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zzr posted:

StarOS when ?

Wasn't it B'tak or some other whale who thought out-of-game chat applications were like cheating and wanted Star Citizen to prevent all such applications from running at the same time? A custom OS would fit well with such insanity.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gothsheep posted:

I'm not trying to say the game is good, at all. Just trying to give some credit where it's due. They've developed some really nice art assets, I think. They aren't the only space game that does...ED looks pretty good, and hell, even X: Rebirth looks nice enough. Just saying, in this one aspect, texturing and modeling, they did alright.

I won't disagree that some of the art assets look good, but my personal philosophy is that it's more impressive to make a great-looking game using texturing and lighting tricks that make things look incredible, than brute-forcing a million polygons and recreating reality in the PC and winding up looking exactly the same.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bofast posted:

Wasn't it B'tak or some other whale who thought out-of-game chat applications were like cheating and wanted Star Citizen to prevent all such applications from running at the same time? A custom OS would fit well with such insanity.

This might not be a bad idea. To play the game you need to buy the StarBox™ which is custom-built to run Star Citizen badly. It includes a HOTAS, FOIP, and is marked up 5000% and made entirely of fans.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
theaters of war is the most generic sounding poo poo lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

I mean, maybe my uncultured eyes can't actually discern real quality, but I think the game looks pretty good when it isn't breaking. Which I know sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I actually do mean it. When you just look at 'the game' and not some screenshot showing it breaking, it looks quite nice, I think.

That is probably why the subreddit has had so many accounts posting screenshots. SC looks a lot better when you're just looking at a ship or the horizon than when it tries to animate a clipping commando or one tries to actually find proper gameplay.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

theaters of war is the most generic sounding poo poo lol

Despite the reviews, it was not that bad really: https://store.steampowered.com/app/46290/Theatre_of_War/

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Gothsheep posted:

Agreed, there are talented art designers on staff, just wish it was all better managed.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Scruffpuff posted:

I've got a question for you if it's ok to ask, since you know more about this than I do. If you do things this way, how do you handle the IO of generating parallel file handles through a the single file handle for the main pak? The texture loading was incredibly slow, and I'm using hardware that didn't exist 2 years ago, so it should crush their ancient poo poo code. The drive light was pegged constantly, even on an SSD. "It's not optimized yet" isn't even on the table as an explanation, because loading such a small area as a wankpod should have been done in the blink of an eye even before optimization. Is the pak encrypted/decrypted on the fly or something equally boneheaded?

Reading from several threads is perfectly fine. I don't know how Windows behaves by default, but you can absolutely read with multiple threads or even multiple processes from the same file without locking it for others. Each gets its own handle.

It's when you are trying to write from multiple threads that things get hilariously brain-breakingly complicated, but games don't have to do that.

I don't know what SC is (not) doing, but if you want to know the most dead-simple implementation: Concatenate all your files into one blob when you release, ship along with a txt file giving filename, start offset, end offset. That is literally what some games use, just glue all files together and note down where the seams are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monkeytek posted:

Agreed, there are talented art designers on staff, just wish it was all better managed.

Better managed? Hell Stevie Wonder could look at the Gantt chart and realized it is hosed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This... HERESY!

:smith: Why is this getting more focus than say...space combat, or space related activities like salvage, exploration/ewar, repair, tourism/charters as those have been pushed multiple times would it not be wiser to dedicate yourselves to finishing a viable working feature that you have thus far failed utterly to complete..then work on this heresy...or does the feature creep aid your development timeline?

More prime salt. ROWR!

:smith: What is CIG going to do differently to ensure Theatres of War doesn't become the buggy mess that Star Marine has slowly become over time?

:smith: Why spend time and resources, even if it is what you called it relatively little resources, on a third game mode when people on spectrum have been wanting more PU content since forever.

And, uh... Some people seem kind of unclear what a battle royale is.

:smith: If this "Battle Royal" mode proves succesfull and people like to see it improved, will it be able to be monetized like other Battle Royal games to provide more income to the main concept of Star Citizen?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am still 100% certain that most people who "enjoy" star citizen haven't actually played another video game since 1996

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh, and because I was poking around the Sqlite site I noticed they updated their "we are faster reading from our single file than reading individual files from disk" site: https://www.sqlite.org/fasterthanfs.html

Those graphs are relatively close to my experience. Reading lots of small files is really slow everywhere, but especially so on Windows.

Pretty much anything the sqlite guys say applies to games using large packed files, except that absolutely nobody sane does parallel writing to those files because it's so easy to screw up for no gain.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Holy fuckin poo poo have you guys seen this?!?!?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/euubki/reload_animation/

Can't say I've ever seen such a fidelitous reload animation in my entire existence on this planet.

A reload animation.

Guys.

A 90+ comment thread on a reload animation.

Guys.

Help.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Can't say I've ever seen such a fidelitous reload animation in my entire existence on this planet.

A reload animation.

Guys.

Guys.

Help.

I bet that wrist animation came from the dev who fell from the bike.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You know, I think SC so slow because they have just overengineered something that was already done in a sane fashion elsewhere. Actually, SC is the way it is for the same reason. It's universal.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

IcarusUpHigh posted:

A reload animation.

Guys.

Guys.

Help.

(it doesn't even really look that good...)

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Taking into account CI~G's intended audience that might be the first reload animation they have seen since the nineties.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So... Here's a fresh new take on Theaters of War. Emphasis and [brackets] mine.

:reddit: Actually, this [creating a third game mode with so much else on CIG's plate] is expected, for the same reason we're getting 'Prison' gameplay: It requires little / no coding.

We've been told that Prisons requires no custom code at all - it's purely new Art assets and designers re-using / repurposing existing functionality.

TOW appears to be the same - it's a 'custom' PG World level (actually using PG Planets) using standard PU ships and weapons. They've taken the two 'teams' from Star Marine, and added some additional UI (for progressive spawn unlocks and showing progress, I think), but other than 'unlocking' the next stage I don't think there is any additional Code required?

In return, they get a new 'combined arms' Arena mode, and start getting a lot more data on combined-arms balance (something not available from AC/SM, and too sparse from the PU) and it makes it much easier / quicker to test (in a semi-consistent and measurable way) e.g. network changes when someone starts working on it

As such, looking at it as a combination of test-rig and pacifier (for people complaining about lack of functionality), it does make sense. It also means that it may end up 'unsupported' for long periods once CIG no longer need it for testing, and people have more things to do in the PU.... but they'll almost certainly spruce it up for launch (along with AC and SM)

You heard it here, folks: games aren't hard to make because you don't need to code anything to make them! And yes, they'll abandon it, and it will be a good thing! Oh and AC and SM DEFINITELY aren't abandoned, they just got all they needed out of them and will "spruce them up for launch"! The elves in my head told me so!

This might be one of the dumbest comments I've seen on /r/sc. I don't know a thing about game development and even I know that's all completely wrong.

Inacio posted:

(it doesn't even really look that good...)

I'm the mag clipping through the gun as it flies off to the side at a billion miles an hour

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 28, 2020

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
sean tracy said they had been working on it for like 9 months, but it didn't require "that much effort"

I don't even know what that means

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
besides you want to see how AWS begins to poo poo the bed trying to do low latency FPS combat, well, enjoy you dumb fuckers

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

A reload animation.

Guys.

Guys.

Help.

I mean, it's a fine animation.
I've been playing through the COD campaigns and I'd say they have equivalent animation fidelituh since Black Ops II or so. I'm pretty sure anyone making a "AAA" shooter in the last 5 years has had similar animations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

sean tracy said they had been working on it for like 9 months, but it didn't require "that much effort"

TBF given SC development time that is hardly a drop in the bucket!

As to what it means, well, I'm sure you can just check the roadmap.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
cool, the Studio Manager in Austin is barely 30, Eric Kieron Davis is now the Chief People Officer (early days lol) instead of Studio Manager of LA (which there currently is none), more people are gone

just lol that the majority of their artwork is outsourced to various companies/individuals and that the vast, vast majority of current Cloud Imperium employees are managers and executives

they are desperately trying to staff up and are failing miserably. at this rate, even if they were to fill every essential position within the next month, you are looking at six to twelve months before any real work could begin

the reason poo poo ain't getting done is because they don't have anyone there to actually do all the loving work, just endless loving managers going to meetings over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So... Here's a fresh new take on Theaters of War. Emphasis and [brackets] mine.

[i]:reddit: Actually, this [creating a third game mode with so much else on CIG's plate] is expected, for the same reason we're getting 'Prison' gameplay: It requires little / no coding.

We've been told that Prisons requires no custom code at all - it's purely new Art assets and designers re-using / repurposing existing functionality.

Just like the SPACE DOOR was just a garage door opener, some plywood, a little paint, and some volunteer work over the weekend to install.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Prisons requiring no custom code sounds about right, I mean doors everywhere in the PU are likely not to open or to kill you for walking through them already.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The whole concept of prison mechanics are funny to me, I don't know why they think it will be inherently better that the space police arrest you instead of just shooting you. Anyone actually engaging in illegal smuggling gameplay will likely want to outrun/fight the law anyway, so it's just adding tedium and annoying mechanics for people not trying to engage with the system at all.

There's a reason the GTA games make getting "WASTED" and "BUSTED" functionally the same - either way it's just a time and progress penalty, so why expand it beyond that if it doesn't do anything fun?

But Crobbler has a space police fetish and there's enough tedious gamedad citizens who love the idea of being inderdicted over and over, so... Prison gameplay it is!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The whole concept of prison mechanics are funny to me, I don't know why they think it will be inherently better that the space police arrest you instead of just shooting you. Anyone actually engaging in illegal smuggling gameplay will likely want to outrun/fight the law anyway, so it's just adding tedium and annoying mechanics for people not trying to engage with the system at all.

There's a reason the GTA games make getting "WASTED" and "BUSTED" functionally the same - either way it's just a time and progress penalty, so why expand it beyond that if it doesn't do anything fun?

But Crobbler has a space police fetish and there's enough tedious gamedad citizens who love the idea of being inderdicted over and over, so... Prison gameplay it is!

Because Elite already implemented prison.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

It was probably just one guy messing around with their tools in his spare time for the large part. That's how I read it anyway.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

TOW appears to be the same - it's a 'custom' PG World level (actually using PG Planets) using standard PU ships and weapons. They've taken the two 'teams' from Star Marine, and added some additional UI (for progressive spawn unlocks and showing progress, I think), but other than 'unlocking' the next stage I don't think there is any additional Code required?

Bullshit, there is definitely extra code involved. However, I can't really blame them or make fun of them for this. I mean, isn't it their job to create a fun game to play? It sounds like some guy on the team decided that since Chris Roberts can't create something fun, he would try. And, I mean, it does look pretty fun to me. I think the combat in Star Citizen is the most compelling gameplay experience so far and I do actually have fun flying around and shooting things. Making a TvT combined arms game is actually a pretty ingenious idea, provided it is done well. Star Citizen isn't really ready to be played as a persistent MMO, but it does have enough building blocks already in-place to host a compelling TvT game mode. It provides a lot of value to an increasingly jaded community.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

Bullshit, there is definitely extra code involved. However, I can't really blame them or make fun of them for this. I mean, isn't it their job to create a fun game to play? It sounds like some guy on the team decided that since Chris Roberts can't create something fun, he would try. And, I mean, it does look pretty fun to me. I think the combat in Star Citizen is the most compelling gameplay experience so far and I do actually have fun flying around and shooting things. Making a TvT combined arms game is actually a pretty ingenious idea, provided it is done well. Star Citizen isn't really ready to be played as a persistent MMO, but it does have enough building blocks already in-place to host a compelling TvT game mode. It provides a lot of value to an increasingly jaded community.
combat in star citizen is -- by far -- its worse loving aspect

are you sure you've played star citizen, commando?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's Battlefield in space but I have no doubt it will perform far worse and since they are capped at 25 v 25 it's gonna suck.

This is just CIGs attempt to pull a Fortnite and pray they finally stumble into success.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

I mean, it's a fine animation.
I've been playing through the COD campaigns and I'd say they have equivalent animation fidelituh since Black Ops II or so. I'm pretty sure anyone making a "AAA" shooter in the last 5 years has had similar animations.

CODMW is the reason why i don't think those anims look good. granted, star citizen is a 2012 game and CODMW is a 2019 game, but

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

A base fallacy in Citizens is that there exist a set of mechanics for them (being a fleet captain, being a cool drug running rebel, lording over people in prison, etc.) . And mechanics for others (being in prison, being a space janitor, etc.) and they don't see an issue with this at all.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Can't wait for Croberts to sell out again and the receiving developers end up cutting all the content and turn this into another Everspace.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SoftNum posted:

A base fallacy in Citizens is that there exist a set of mechanics for them (being a fleet captain, being a cool drug running rebel, lording over people in prison, etc.) . And mechanics for others (being in prison, being a space janitor, etc.) and they don't see an issue with this at all.

Prison gameplay makes the least sense to implement right now because there are no penalties for death. You just respawn and wait for your ship timer to expire. Why would anyone engage with the crime/prison mechanics when everything else necessary for that to exist is still missing?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

combat in star citizen is -- by far -- its worse loving aspect

are you sure you've played star citizen, commando?

I totally have, but I guess I should say that it also really depends on the ship you are flying. Trying to fight in the Constellation, the worst ship in the game, is pretty terrible. Trying to fight in a Buccaneer, the most agile glass-cannon ship in the game, is pretty fun. The AI behaves itself most of the time nowadays, so you can get a good fight going. I won't deny that there are AI bugs, though, that can stop ships from flying right, but I find that most of the time things work fine.

Keep in mind that my only experience with the game recently comes from patches 3.7 and 3.8.1. It might have been a lot worse in the past, but nowadays things are playable.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
here's what you'd have to gently caress with to create a 25v25 mode in star citizen

new matchmaking tools
a new UI
new server code
new gameplay code that should include:
  • fixing your broke rear end VOIP/FOIP communications / text chat
  • fixing your broke rear end latency of almost .3 seconds average response time
  • fixing weapons, especially projectiles like missiles and hitscan weapons not registering after x amount of distance
  • fixing your respawn system so it can handle several dozen people respawning at once in a small area
creating a new map, including playable boundaries, transitions to new areas
designing and then implementing a progression system
and probably a few dozen other things

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

I totally have, but I guess I should say that it also really depends on the ship you are flying. Trying to fight in the Constellation, the worst ship in the game, is pretty terrible. Trying to fight in a Buccaneer, the most agile glass-cannon ship in the game, is pretty fun. The AI behaves itself most of the time nowadays, so you can get a good fight going. I won't deny that there are AI bugs, though, that can stop ships from flying right, but I find that most of the time things work fine.

Keep in mind that my only experience with the game recently comes from patches 3.7 and 3.8.1. It might have been a lot worse in the past, but nowadays things are playable.
so the only way to experience good combat is to spend real money

also the AI is still broken as gently caress, but this gamemode would be player v player, and any player v player combat in Star Citizen sucks and has sucked since the PU was released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inacio posted:

sunglasses-wearing-despite-being-inside, acting-class-taking, no-gently caress-giving-anymore sandi era was the best. you could feel the discomfort.

Don't forget coming into the office covered in gang tattoos because you're moonlighting as an extra.

And you just KNOW that Sandi would say that if you had similar tattoos, you are unprofessional and they won't hire you.