Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

he’s 250 pounds of Ramston steel and sex appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I made thousand hands on my bar of Ramson steel. "A woman is like a symphony", I thought, knowing nothing about either. "When she says a minor chord, that means she's sad."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

eXXon posted:

So are the Witcher novels, but they're much more entertaining and spawned a surprisingly well-written videogame series.

Things actually happen in the Witcher novels. Not so much in Kingkiller.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

eXXon posted:

So are the Witcher novels, but they're much more entertaining and spawned a surprisingly well-written videogame series.
the poles are different

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

eXXon posted:

The first two Witcher books, the short stories, are amazing. Then there is a steady book to book progression into trash

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I just reread the books, skimming over mostly all of it looking for parts I really liked. Good poo poo: the hulking stoic professor and the crazy one, the dude getting arrested for blasphemy which was absolutely never explained or followed up on, the heroin addicted dragon, the seven bad guys who show up once a book, kvothe stabbing that body to take out the entire camp then calling down lightning. The rest was mostly boring Harry Potter struggling to make rent.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lmaooo the Writing Excuses podcast has Rothfuss on

for an episode about revision

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

:smugjones:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Writing Excuses gives you the most real time updates available for how woke Brendon Sanderson is on hot, cultural issues.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Writing Excuses gives you the most real time updates available for how woke Brendon Sanderson is on hot, cultural issues.

This really does feel like a strong qualification to sell to white suburban nerds right now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm almost tempted to listen to it but I suspect Sanderson does most of the substantial talking while Rothfuss would only have the occasional point.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I signed up for the SFWA mentor program and my mentor won’t shut the gently caress up about Sanderson and writing excuses. I don’t know the polite way to say I want good advice from good writers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HIJK posted:

I'm almost tempted to listen to it but I suspect Sanderson does most of the substantial talking while Rothfuss would only have the occasional point.

Listened to the Rothfuss episode at the gym - it's a load of bland nothingness. I don't have any creative writing experience to put it in context, but they seem to give the shittest, most surface level advice about keeping in mind structure and the rules of your world.

Rothfuss' biggest contribution is making another creepy "characters are like your high-school crush, or your wife of ten years, or that holiday in morocco where you meet a dark eyed beautiful woman" and just kind of blithering and trying to backpedal at the slightest pushback when one of the hosts tells him its a weird thing to say.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

as a failing writer I've rarely gleaned useful insight from the podcast (when i do its usually tayler) but the prompts are occasionally useful

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Listened to the Rothfuss episode at the gym - it's a load of bland nothingness. I don't have any creative writing experience to put it in context, but they seem to give the shittest, most surface level advice about keeping in mind structure and the rules of your world.

Rothfuss' biggest contribution is making another creepy "characters are like your high-school crush, or your wife of ten years, or that holiday in morocco where you meet a dark eyed beautiful woman" and just kind of blithering and trying to backpedal at the slightest pushback when one of the hosts tells him its a weird thing to say.

Yeah, that's the writing excuses experience. It's a podcast exclusively for people who write several 1000 encyclopedias about some lame rear end magic system but don't understand that they need actual characters to use it or a somewhat three dimensional world to put it in.

It would be nice if there was an actual good writing podcast but it's well established that no one can write a coherent story anymore. No one has anything to to teach.

Nice to hear Rothfuss is still a loving creep lmao

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God I love when my uneducated judgemental opinions turn out to be justified. Now, let me tell you how Corbyn should have won.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I feel a little bad saying that they're useless because I know that I wouldn't be able to come up with a better format or anything wiser to say then they do. The thing about creative writing is that it's a hard thing to teach, because...well everyone's so different, creativity is hard, etc.

It seems to me that if you wanted to teach you would have to go to the very basics of writing:

what is a noun? what is a verb? what is an adjective?

then move on to something more complex like how to structure sentences, what clauses are, what a comma is and when to use it etc. Others have pointed this out but Americans especially are incredibly ignorant about how actual grammar works, myself included.

(I've looked for internet material that teaches The Basics of English Grammar but all I get are links to GRAMMAR GIRLLLLZZZ QUIK DIRTY GRAMMAR TIPS!!!!11!!eleven!! which are no help at all, or else its material for ESL students.)

I think that American writing would greatly improve if there was a resource to reteach and review this stuff for adults. If I was running a creative writing podcast that's where I would start and once we got that out of the I'd start with the fundamentals of story structure and character creation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm glad his go-to thing is just women he wants to bang. It's not surprising though, since he has a pretty Butcherian thing where women are pretty clearly organized into 'fuckable' and 'not fuckable' and oh boy does it get creepy in Wise Man's Fear.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

HIJK posted:

I feel a little bad saying that they're useless because I know that I wouldn't be able to come up with a better format or anything wiser to say then they do. The thing about creative writing is that it's a hard thing to teach, because...well everyone's so different, creativity is hard, etc.

It seems to me that if you wanted to teach you would have to go to the very basics of writing:

what is a noun? what is a verb? what is an adjective?

I’ll try to remember to send you a link to good book later. Also Dryers guide is pretty good imo. Strunk and White not so great.

Part of the problem with a sort of back to basics approach is most wannabe writers think they are already good writers and stuff like that is beneath them. They won’t mostly follow a podcast that gives good honest advice. Writing is a loving grind. It’s not really about inspiration it’s about doing your loving time. Inspiration is what gets you poo poo like Eragon and The Name of the Wind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kchama posted:

'fuckable' and 'not fuckable' and oh boy does it get creepy in Wise Man's Fear.

I don't recall any named women characters catergorized as "not-fuckable" they all wanted his dick including the ones who immediately want to gently caress him after he saves them from a troupe of gang rapists.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

I don't recall any named women characters catergorized as "not-fuckable" they all wanted his dick including the ones who immediately want to gently caress him after he saves them from a troupe of gang rapists.

I think you’re forgetting that by this time he’s become a veritable sex god by virtue of having hosed a Magic sex elf who kills men by loving them to death but he’s the greatest sex haver of all time so she lets him go and this experience has transformed all women into “fuckable”, all women he encounters from then on cannot avoid knowing of his sex haver status Jesus Christ this is what really happens I’m not even parodying here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked it when he hosed the big titted bartender and said she was just as good as the sex goddess because all women are good at sex in different ways. Then he has sex with a few different sex ninjas, but the smallest deadliest one was his favorite. Then he doesn't have sex with his crush the prostitute.

It's a very complex and enlightened story.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked it when he hosed the big titted bartender and said she was just as good as the sex goddess because all women are good at sex in different ways. Then he has sex with a few different sex ninjas, but the smallest deadliest one was his favorite. Then he doesn't have sex with his crush the prostitute.

Look he's trying to describe something nerds would find fantastical, namely sexual interactions with women.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

I’ll try to remember to send you a link to good book later. Also Dryers guide is pretty good imo. Strunk and White not so great.

Part of the problem with a sort of back to basics approach is most wannabe writers think they are already good writers and stuff like that is beneath them. They won’t mostly follow a podcast that gives good honest advice. Writing is a loving grind. It’s not really about inspiration it’s about doing your loving time. Inspiration is what gets you poo poo like Eragon and The Name of the Wind.

Thank you, I would be very interested!

For the writers that wouldn't touch it...well I think they were always hopeless. They think their poo poo doesn't stink so they would seek the tepid validation from Writing Excuses because anything more critical would destroy their self image. The author of Eragon is exactly like that lmao.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Paolini has an SF novel due this year, which I cannot wait to read.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
A few people in the podcast comments section are saying Rothfuss should be apologized to because he was just making an analogy and not being a weird creep.

quote:

I really think, if its possible, that the hosts should attempt to invite Rothfuss back for a second episode to make up for that very alarming bit of unprofessionalism from the hosts this episode. That rant should neither have happened, nor made it past edits to the final episode—regardless of Rothfuss’ attempts at soothing it over...Please get Rothfuss back, and talk about something else besides gender. Magic systems maybe? Or world-building? Or Tak? :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A few people in the podcast comments section are saying Rothfuss should be apologized to because he was just making an analogy and not being a weird creep.

His rant should have been edited out because it makes him look bad?? What the gently caress

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This is probably Rothfuss with a sock account because he's too passive aggressive to confront them directly

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I also think the hosts should invite Rothfuss back, so they can clobber him with a chair

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

By this point his core fans are neck deep in the kool-aid and anytime that Rothfuss opens his mouth and naturally reveals his completely hosed up views on :females: they have to defend him by excusing away what he does with the "well technically" line of logic.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what does the Mormon Sanderson think about Rothfuss's creepy hosed up views on women, I need to know

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sanderson himself isn't in the Rothfuss episode.

MoonBoots
Nov 17, 2012
It was so perfect that he got called out for the sexism of it and then, right before the end of the episode, they revisited and decided that he was actually being a little bit racist too!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MoonBoots posted:

It was so perfect that he got called out for the sexism of it and then, right before the end of the episode, they revisited and decided that he was actually being a little bit racist too!

He's someone that took 7 years to finish a bachelors English degree and talks like he wrote the book on literature as fine art. That he has other opinions wildly inconsistent with actual education/experience and self awareness tracks. I would not be surprised to see him jump in on a "technically not underage" argument in defense of all men (in his mind).

Does this thread have the posting where someone talked about how Rothfuss torches bridges and personal networking because of his ego and attitude? Like they implied that Rothfuss was dismissive and disrespectful to LMM during meetings about the Kingkiller adaption.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

pentyne posted:

Does this thread have the posting where someone talked about how Rothfuss torches bridges and personal networking because of his ego and attitude? Like they implied that Rothfuss was dismissive and disrespectful to LMM during meetings about the Kingkiller adaption.

Yes.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

so it sounds like i *should* listen to this episode, huh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't believe you left out the important part where the bar's serving girl uses her sexdar to confirm Rothfuss Kvothe is telling the truth about his fantasy sexcapades because he was clearly a virgin the first time he stopped by and now he's a super sex haver.

mewse posted:

His rant should have been edited out because it makes him look bad?? What the gently caress

Welcome to the Cult of Rothfuss. Where a mediocre writer is worshipped by mediocre readers.

Please pick up your unwashed robe to the right before proceeding to his buffet of kidnapped hobos and mandatory Tak sessions.

pentyne posted:

He's someone that took 7 years to finish a bachelors English degree and talks like he wrote the book on literature as fine art. That he has other opinions wildly inconsistent with actual education/experience and self awareness tracks. I would not be surprised to see him jump in on a "technically not underage" argument in defense of all men (in his mind).

It's like Tommy Boy only instead of being a goofy lovable idiot who sells brake pads he's a a lucky hack who convinced a bunch of idiots that his garbage novel is good because this is the same timeline where a series about a sparky pedophile vampire became a top seller only to later be outdone by an internet fanfic based on that same story's characters but with their names changed so the writer could make shitloads of money as well.

gently caress Kingkiller, Twilight, 50 Shades, their respective authors and their collective fandoms. :colbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's like Tommy Boy only instead of being a goofy lovable idiot who sells brake pads he's a a lucky hack who convinced a bunch of idiots that his garbage novel is good because this is the same timeline where a series about a sparky pedophile vampire became a top seller only to later be outdone by an internet fanfic based on that same story's characters but with their names changed so the writer could make shitloads of money as well.

gently caress Kingkiller, Twilight, 50 Shades, their respective authors and their collective fandoms. :colbert:
:wow: :drat:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Patrick Rothfuss is an incel who retired from writing after he was cuckolded by his own protagonist.

That is as succinct a picture of a man as I can paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Patrick Rothfuss is an incel who retired from writing after he was cuckolded by his own protagonist.

That is as succinct a picture of a man as I can paint.

I guess book three would take longer if he was writing it one-handed.