Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Munin posted:

Does that mean Bibi thinks he can beat the rap?

I doubt he expects to serve time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure what the point of a ‘peace deal’ is when the two leading candidates in the Israeli election are saying they will just annex Palestinian territory outright if they win

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure what the point of a ‘peace deal’ is when the two leading candidates in the Israeli election are saying they will just annex Palestinian territory outright if they win

The term Israeli Peace Deal should be read as "Let's not actually improve anything but blame any failure on the palestinians"
Same as it ever was.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

The package is expected to propose a redrawn border between Israel and the West Bank that would incorporate large Jewish settlements into Israel proper, while continuing some forms of Israeli security control over the territory Israel seized in 1967 and has occupied since, according to two people familiar with the plan who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the proposal has not been released.

It is expected to offer limited autonomy to Palestinians in the West Bank and East Jerusalem that would increase over about a three-year timeline if Palestinian leadership undertook new political measures, renounced violence and took other steps in negotiation with Israel, the people familiar with the plan said.

“There are a lot of goodies in there for the Palestinians — a lot — but by no means all of what they have long sought,” one of the people said.

“They have within their grasp a state” if they meet certain security and political benchmarks, that person said.

That conditional sovereignty appears to fall far short of the long-standing international goal of a separate, fully independent Palestinian state. But it also “acknowledges reality as it is,” with expanding Israeli settlements, a desperate Palestinian economy and shrinking political horizons for young people, that person said.

The Kushner package essentially assesses that the Palestinian bargaining position is poor and getting worse, and it asks Palestinian leaders to negotiate for part of a loaf rather than watch the whole loaf disappear, said people who have heard Kushner and other authors describe the proposal.

So basically, it's going to be the same as every other Israel/Palestine peace plan over the past few decades. What a joke.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lum_ posted:

by the way, in case you missed the awful "The Plan" movie, the cylon plan was... wait for it... "let's kill all the humans"

Isn't it funny how wherever humans create an actual artificial intelligence, or meet another intelligent species, the newcomer takes a two second look at humanity and decides the universe would be better off without it? Not that we can really blame them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so from what I've gathered the 'plan' is literally a two state solution, but Israel maintains control over both states for an unspecified amount of time?

Can't imagine that'll go over well for either side.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

so from what I've gathered the 'plan' is literally a two state solution, but Israel maintains control over both states for an unspecified amount of time?

Yes and it would also legalize the illegal settlements

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and it would also legalize the illegal settlements

so the zionist hardliners are gonna be angry they have to 'give' Palestine a state at all, and Palestine is gonna be mad about the whole complete disregard for any sovereignty and autonomy thing.

Cool plan, Donny!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it’s not a state

At best it’s a Bantustan

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
It's the literal definition of bantustans: non-contiguous territorial areas carved out of unwanted land specifically to deny the inhabitants the right to vote by assigning them to a fictional country.

Netanyahu is busy doing a victory lap in the White House and giving Trump a tongue bath.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it’s not a state

At best it’s a Bantustan

I was listening to Trump's speech on his peace plan, he said that Jerusalem would be Israel's undivided capital and that the Palestinians would have a capital in east Jerusalem. Is it possible that his team think that Jerusalem and east Jerusalem are like Virginia and West Virginia?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What I really love about this plan is that it's basically the same as today, so in a sense it's a very successful plan.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I was listening to Trump's speech on his peace plan, he said that Jerusalem would be Israel's undivided capital and that the Palestinians would have a capital in east Jerusalem. Is it possible that his team think that Jerusalem and east Jerusalem are like Virginia and West Virginia?

The plan supposedly gives Abu Dis to the Palestinians to serve as "east Jerusalem".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Introducing EAST East Jerusalem, which is in Jordan.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What I really love about this plan is that it's basically the same as today, so in a sense it's a very successful plan.

you mean, that Israel won't make a single move until Hamas disarms unilaterally? In that sense, yeah.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the sense that it's pretty easy to deliver on 'more of the same'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lum_ posted:

The plan supposedly gives Abu Dis to the Palestinians to serve as "east Jerusalem".
Correct. This is some weak poo poo.

https://twitter.com/seamus_malek/status/1222225101250334721?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and look at this abomination:

https://twitter.com/mairavz/status/1222223257811574784?s=21

Note that there is a tunnel to go from Gaza to the West Bank so that the Israelis don’t have to see the Morlocks....I mean Palestinians

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FlamingLiberal posted:

Note that there is a tunnel to go from Gaza to the West Bank so that the Israelis don’t have to see the Morlocks....I mean Palestinians
Terror tunnels!!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lum_ posted:

It's a very NY property developer move, I can see why Kushner would see this as pure genius

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There is absolutely no chance the Palestinians will gain any autonomy at all, since it is dependent on disarming Hamas, demilitarizing Gaza, ending payments to Palestinian prisoners, renouncing the right of return, recognizing annexation of the settlements, and probably half a dozen other things I missed, any one of which would get any PA leader murdered. So, don't hold your breath waiting for the Gaza Bypass Tunnel (which would be the longest tunnel in history btw). Israel meanwhile has absolutely nothing expected of it beyond a freeze in building new settlements/dismantling Palestinian construction in TranskeiPalestine's designated territory.

Meanwhile Netanyahu has already said he's annexing the Jordan Valley and the settlements immediately.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 28, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ibishblog/status/1222246913917038592?s=21

This thread really lays out how lovely this ‘plan’ is

It’s Likud’s wet dream

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Basically every I/P peace plan that has ever been seriously brought to the table has been some variation on "two-state solution, but Israel annexes all the settlements and also retains a large amount of power and control over the supposed Palestinian state". It's essentially just trying to get the Palestinians to officially give up their claims without actually changing the status quo, and this plan is no different.

Well, there is one thing that's different this time! The masks are coming off pretty fast.
https://mobile.twitter.com/joedyke/status/1222227914051194885?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
https://mobile.twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1222239613064040450?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

Basically every I/P peace plan that has ever been seriously brought to the table has been some variation on "two-state solution, but Israel annexes all the settlements and also retains a large amount of power and control over the supposed Palestinian state". It's essentially just trying to get the Palestinians to officially give up their claims without actually changing the status quo, and this plan is no different.

Well, there is one thing that's different this time! The masks are coming off pretty fast.
https://mobile.twitter.com/joedyke/status/1222227914051194885?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
https://mobile.twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1222239613064040450?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

wow even from them that's shocking

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Well, that leaked request from the Trump administration to hold off on annexation to prevent Jordan from exploding into fire was certainly taken seriously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Protests are ongoing in the West Bank, Lebanon, Gaza, and Jordan

https://twitter.com/seamus_malek/status/1222234364324565001?s=21

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Way to make the subtext text, Kush.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just to make sure I'm clear on the geography, the extra areas along the border with Egypt that the Palestinians get (labelled on one version of the map as "high tech manufacturing industrial zone" and "residential and agriculture") are empty desert, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just to make sure I'm clear on the geography, the extra areas along the border with Egypt that the Palestinians get (labelled on one version of the map as "high tech manufacturing industrial zone" and "residential and agriculture") are empty desert, right?
Yes it's just desert

Meanwhile Israel gets to annex the Palestinian land they stole and nobody's going to do anything about it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So the plan is just to formally turn Israel into Apartheid South Africa, rather than having apartheid beneath the thinnest possible veneer of plausible deniability?

I mean, I’m not an expert on how Bantustans were legally defined, but it seems to be the exact same thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So the plan is just to formally turn Israel into Apartheid South Africa, rather than having apartheid beneath the thinnest possible veneer of plausible deniability?
Yes, they want the Palestinians to basically make their years of annexing and squatting on Palestinian land 'legal', and in return they get almost nothing. It's really pathetic, but I think the goal is to just make it look like the Palestinians are being unreasonable when they inevitably reject the deal, so that they can justify further repression.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

There are quite a few Israeli towns and a few military bases there. On a basic strategic level this aspect a terrible idea for Israeli security if the Palestinians agreed.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Not precisely.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gun Jam posted:

Not precisely.

that green part ain't really green my dude

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are quite a few Israeli towns and a few military bases there. On a basic strategic level this aspect a terrible idea for Israeli security if the Palestinians agreed.

the new Palestinian ghettos are also not actually on the Egyptian border, there's a thin layer of Israeli territory to keep them enclosed lol

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the new Palestinian ghettos are also not actually on the Egyptian border, there's a thin layer of Israeli territory to keep them enclosed lol

i was gonna say, except for gaza, it's entirely enclosed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

i say swears online posted:

that green part ain't really green my dude

I think what he means is that it isn't empty, there are also mountains.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, I’m not an expert on how Bantustans were legally defined, but it seems to be the exact same thing.

Except this time no one is really objecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, there's a reason the Philadelphi Route was notorious before the Disengagement. Israeli soldiers were constantly killed there. This was drawn by someone with an ignorance both of Palestinians needs (well, it's not like they really bothered talking with them) and Israeli security needs.

PittTheElder posted:

I think what he means is that it isn't empty, there are also mountains.

I mean, you can just look for ניצנה on Google Maps and start scanning that region, it's not as heavily populated as Tel Aviv but it's still got people.