Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Deviant posted:

already gone.

screenshot tweets, people

“Senator Johnson just told reporters that he wants Ambassador Bolton to testify.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Deviant posted:

already gone.

screenshot tweets, people

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1222207102061633536

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1222207267703066630

The original was, basically, "Note what note"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

The original was, basically, "Note what note"

the deleted tweet i posted was this

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1222212540710694913

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

skeleton warrior posted:

This is great for the Senate GOP, though, right? Call the witnesses like most of the country wants, then let Trump sink his approval rating by making it obvious how much he doesn’t anyone to eat what Bolton has to say until either the levee breaks and Trump can be safely stood against or until the GOP faithful agree that you shouldn’t hear new evidence, and then they can sweep it under the rug without taking a hit.

No, this is exceptionally bad for the senate gop basically any way this shakes out. There's no path forward for them that doesn't involve pissing off like 50% of the country at minimum

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i have no idea what the bullshit waffling of “There’s no vote required. I’m just saying ‘John, come forward.’” means

but it's probably him signalling he's on board with Bolton without daring to say YES I AM VOTING AGAINST TRUMP'S WISHES

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

eke out posted:

i have no idea what the bullshit waffling of “There’s no vote required. I’m just saying ‘John, come forward.’” means

but it's probably him signalling he's on board with Bolton without daring to say YES I AM VOTING AGAINST TRUMP'S WISHES

It's pretty clear that the votes for witnesses exist, but they also don't want to deal with the bullshit of publicly being one of the first to concretely say they're voting for witnesses.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol:

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1222212678510424065

"Look, we should be able to just rely on hearsay instead of cross-examining a witness" is such an awesome argument, it owns that they've fallen back on it, their entire case is falling apart

out-of-court statements are bad and unreliable for you, but they're extremely good and cool when they help me

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

The prisoners' dilemma is only a dilemma if the prisoners can't coordinate.

Well if they all want to band together to call for witnesses but nobody wants to deal with Trump’s anger, there’s a lot of incentive to say you want witnesses to your fellow senators, but hope they hit the 51 votes necessary before you actually have to vote.

Edit: explained better here than with my caffeine-deprived brain:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's pretty clear that the votes for witnesses exist, but they also don't want to deal with the bullshit of publicly being one of the first to concretely say they're voting for witnesses.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'd be amazed if, on a personal level, a third or even a half of the senate didn't hate Trump's guts for a ton of different things. Someone as polarizing and offensive and as potentially as much of a liability as him is never even close to universally loved, even if previously McConnell has been able to wrangle the votes in his defense.

Like Trump is an outsider who made his name calling them all corrupt and part of the swamp and now their careers are being pinned to his dumb impulsive dementia decisions, there's no way a bunch of them wouldn't privately love to see Trump go down.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
If they're smart, once they know there's enough votes for witnesses, they all vote for witnesses, leaving no senator vulnerable, then say, well of course, under new circumstances, we'll fix the House negligence and call Bolton.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know they're going to acquit him anyway but I'm pretty amused at just how disastrously badly this has gone for the gop so far. It's actually the worst it could possibly have gone for them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

I know they're going to acquit him anyway but I'm pretty amused at just how disastrously badly this has gone for the gop so far. It's actually the worst it could possibly have gone for them.

Short of Trump getting convicted this is actually about as bad as things could possibly get for them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
IMO the real question isn't 'what's the best case scenario for trump?' it's 'what is the absolute worst case scenario that could unfold' because that's a lot more likely than the other.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's 'what is the absolute worst case scenario that could unfold' because that's a lot more likely than the other.

republicans allow witnesses and have to vote down trump's demand to call Obama and Hillary and Joe Biden

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Short of Trump getting convicted this is actually about as bad as things could possibly get for them.

i don't know, with all the curveballs so far i'm optimistic that something else could go disastrously wrong for them

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It boggles my mind that the only reason we've gotten this far is a CIA whistleblower and John Bolton.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

IMO the real question isn't 'what's the best case scenario for trump?' it's 'what is the absolute worst case scenario that could unfold' because that's a lot more likely than the other.

The worst case is not only are the GOP forced to vote to remove Trump but Pompeo, Barr, Mulvaney and Pence are all openly implicated and forced to resign as well making way for President Pelosi.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Something like 5-15 senators break ranks to vote to convict him after weeks of new witnesses and evidence. He won't be removed and the party gets mired in an internal war/purge.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

eke out posted:

republicans allow witnesses and have to vote down trump's demand to call Obama and Hillary and Joe Biden

Hahaha, in a surprise twist, they call hillary and she testifies. Directly, under oath, she reveals that she and Trump conspired together, then the universe implodes in a crimes paradox

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

If they're smart, once they know there's enough votes for witnesses, they all vote for witnesses, leaving no senator vulnerable, then say, well of course, under new circumstances, we'll fix the House negligence and call Bolton.

Were the senate to unanimously vote for witnesses (and vote down calling for the Bidens) I could see Trump either a) pulling a Nixon by stepping down knowing he’s hosed and demanding Pence preemptively pardon him for all crimes, or b) having a stress induced stroke or heart attack.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

It boggles my mind that the only reason we've gotten this far is a CIA whistleblower and John Bolton.

And a sweaty, greasy Eastern European dude who's basically a real-live Boris Badenov.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Djarum posted:

The worst case is not only are the GOP forced to vote to remove Trump but Pompeo, Barr, Mulvaney and Pence are all openly implicated and forced to resign as well making way for President Pelosi.

I wouldn't know whether to poo poo or go blind if that happened. I would love to see the DOJ go back to being non partisan though. that would be a definite step in the right direction. I keep thinking about when Harris was asking Barr if anyone at the white house asked him to start an investigation into anyone and he was answering like a toddler that got into the cookies.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

White dwarfs are too small to become black holes
:goonsay:

Aw I got sick that day in middle school science class :(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Djarum posted:

Yeah I think that this spreading out to very directly include and implicate specifically those 4 is really the worst case scenario and is very directly what they are afraid of if they start calling witnesses because all of those except for pence are extremely natural people to call after bolton.

Realistically I think the dems would legitimately prefer to keep pence in power than gently caress with him for purely public perception reasons, but yeah that's basically the end of the hypothetical worst case scenario for them.

TGLT posted:

Something like 5-15 senators break ranks to vote to convict him after weeks of new witnesses and evidence. He won't be removed and the party gets mired in an internal war/purge.

This is pretty much the best worst case scenario for them, yeah.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ManBoyChef posted:

I wouldn't know whether to poo poo or go blind if that happened. I would love to see the DOJ go back to being non partisan though. that would be a definite step in the right direction. I keep thinking about when Harris was asking Barr if anyone at the white house asked him to start an investigation into anyone and he was answering like a toddler that got into the cookies.

Under the GOP I don't think the DOJ will ever go back to being non partisan. Trump broke a lot of long standing safe guards. I hope that if the Democrats take back the Senate and Presidency that they force in checks for all of this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And a sweaty, greasy Eastern European dude who's basically a real-live Boris Badenov.

Turns out Marie Yovanovich was standing in the way of investigations into Moose und Squirrel.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Yeah I think that this spreading out to very directly include and implicate specifically those 4 is really the worst case scenario and is very directly what they are afraid of if they start calling witnesses because all of those except for pence are extremely natural people to call after bolton.

Realistically I think the dems would legitimately prefer to keep pence in power than gently caress with him for purely public perception reasons, but yeah that's basically the end of the hypothetical worst case scenario for them.

Well it doesn't help that Pence has gone on the record now multiple times saying he had no knowledge or anything to do with it. If for example Bolton or Mulvaney comes right out and says Pence was in the room or he was directly told things he is extremely hosed.

Even if they don't remove Pence he would effectively be a lame duck. I am not sure he would run for the election and I am much more skeptical he could win. Only issue for the GOP is that they have 8-9 months to figure out a candidate and get them out there. That is if Trump doesn't decide to keep running as well which would be their nightmare scenario there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

oxsnard posted:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1222201460219424768

looks like trump is gonna fight bolton testimony

I thought the whole point of having the Chief Justice preside over the trial was so he could make calls about poo poo like this since, you know, Supreme Court is where it'd all end up anyway.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
His goal is to obstruct not to actually win. It works in real estate because the longer it goes on the more it costs the person he’s screwing over (since it’s been proven time and time again he stiffs people for their work as contractors AND as lawyers so lol no pay but we’d love to have you again).

He now has the US lawyers that have no choice but to work for his devious plans so even if he is on no ground in the basis of the law he still wants to get out of it and his instincts scream stall until the opposition caves

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oracle posted:

I thought the whole point of having the Chief Justice preside over the trial was so he could make calls about poo poo like this since, you know, Supreme Court is where it'd all end up anyway.

He could. Either way it is a bad bluff by them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oracle posted:

it's a surprisingly complicated question but there's an extremely good and solid argument that the Chief Justice can make all necessary determinations about privilege here (and if the Senate is unhappy with him, a majority could overrule his holding)

basically the core precedent from Nixon v. U.S.* is that the Senate can craft whatever procedures they want in an impeachment trial, and that the Supreme Court has no role in telling them how to do things unless they start doing wild poo poo that no longer even resembles a trial-type proceeding. there's no reason that shouldn't be extended to allowing Roberts to rule on the lack of privilege here

of course, Trump would still be able to file an emergency petition for judicial review, but I think we know which way the Supreme Court would be going if Roberts had already ruled (and, if Roberts were to recuse from the case about the validity of his holding, a 4-4 Supreme Court would be unable to overturn whatever the lower court rules, and the lower court here would be the majority-democrat-appointed DC Circuit)

* Judge Walter Nixon, not to be confused with U.S. v. Nixon

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 28, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Even in the crazy universe where suddenly republicans grow a conscience and start removing corrupt officials, getting rid of Trump and Pence simultaneously would be a tough sell since they're not going to want to get President Pelosi. The likely scenario in that case is they remove Pence (or he resigns), the senate confirms a new VP, then Trump is removed. Basically the Rockefeller-Nixon-Ford approach, though Rockefeller had his own crimes rather than riding Nixon's.

Of course, that's so hypothetical it makes string theorists go, "That's a bit out there."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Oracle posted:

Reality and legality are both very flexible in this timeline.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Now they're trying to say the president is allowed to limit access to materials to only those who need it to do their job.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

think we will get witnesses?

edit.

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1222194604612759552

wow schumer has a spine.

For what its worth I've generally found that assessments of his tenure as senate minority leader as completely capitulating to all GOP demands all the time to be largely exaggerated. Hes not an exciting politician, hes not the guy you look to for a sick own or belligerent nonsense like Republicans (and thats not necessarily a bad thing),but he does seem to have the right of it most times I've heard him speak. I can't entirely blame the guy for Mitch McConnell hijacking the senate as majority leader either.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Djarum posted:

Well it doesn't help that Pence has gone on the record now multiple times saying he had no knowledge or anything to do with it. If for example Bolton or Mulvaney comes right out and says Pence was in the room or he was directly told things he is extremely hosed.

Even if they don't remove Pence he would effectively be a lame duck. I am not sure he would run for the election and I am much more skeptical he could win. Only issue for the GOP is that they have 8-9 months to figure out a candidate and get them out there. That is if Trump doesn't decide to keep running as well which would be their nightmare scenario there.

Could you imagine the Handmaiden's Tale-esque things he would try to do?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Even in the crazy universe where suddenly republicans grow a conscience and start removing corrupt officials, getting rid of Trump and Pence simultaneously would be a tough sell since they're not going to want to get President Pelosi. The likely scenario in that case is they remove Pence (or he resigns), the senate confirms a new VP, then Trump is removed. Basically the Rockefeller-Nixon-Ford approach, though Rockefeller had his own crimes rather than riding Nixon's.

Of course, that's so hypothetical it makes string theorists go, "That's a bit out there."

I have zero faith they would do it willingly. The question is if they were forced to go the Rockefeller-Nixon-Ford approach who could they get to fill the spot? It would have to be someone moderate enough to not cause waves and not interfere with things going forward IE not have further political ambition.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eke out posted:

it's a surprisingly complicated question but there's an extremely good and solid argument that the Chief Justice can make all necessary determinations about privilege here (and if the Senate is unhappy with him, a majority could overrule his holding)

basically the core precedent from Nixon v. U.S.* is that the Senate can craft whatever procedures they want in an impeachment trial, and that the Supreme Court has no role in telling them how to do things unless they start doing wild poo poo that no longer even resembles a trial-type proceeding. there's no reason that shouldn't be extended to allowing Roberts to rule on the lack of privilege here

of course, Trump would still be able to file an emergency petition for judicial review, but I think we know which way the Supreme Court would be going if Roberts had already ruled (and, if Roberts were to recuse from the case about the validity of his holding, a 4-4 Supreme Court would be unable to overturn whatever the lower court rules, and the lower court here would be the majority-democrat-appointed DC Circuit)

* Judge Walter Nixon, not to be confused with U.S. v. Nixon

Wait, Nixon v. U.S. is about impeachment but unrelated to Richard Nixon?!? :psyduck:

Kale
May 14, 2010

He hates anything or anyone that criticizes him in any way it doesnt matter what he thought the day before. Literally any action he takes can be explained this way, hes that one dimensional. If they praise the poo poo out of him for something tommorrow he'll share it and it'll be like this never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

Wait, Nixon v. U.S. is about impeachment but unrelated to Richard Nixon?!? :psyduck:

yeah, the holding of U.S. v. Nixon is "you have to turn over those tapes, absolute privilege doesn't protect you" and the holding of Nixon v. U.S. is "you can't go to court to overturn the senate removing you from office just because you don't like how they did it." considering the only other big impeachment precedent in modern law is Clinton v. Jones it makes it pretty confusing