Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Like 80 percent of Canada is inaccessible by road, starting at little as four hours north of the US border

owlhawk911 posted:

2hrs north of fairbanks yet somehow cannot stop shitposting. also those woods are mostly good for dying in, unless you bring the proper tech to survive... poo poo

Northern saskatchewan is a popular place to die in the wilderness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we can't do a conscription army any more. it won't work. stop freakin out about that aspect

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Also most of YOSPOS is probably too :corsair: for the draft by this late date in History?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
aw poo poo wrong thread sorry pls ignore.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
thinking really hard about running off into the woods today

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm going on a winter hike tomorrow

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's cold and raining for the next few months so I'll probably just go insane in my house

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hike in the rain so you can go insane outside

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bump

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

owlhawk911 posted:

me waking up beneath carbon fiber tent poles, dressing in layers of space-age synthetic fibers, making sure my dslr is charged up to get dope pics to post later: ahh, sure glad i escaped tech

this is every camping area within 200 miles of San francisco

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sitting naked in the woods, snow falling all around me, shivering as i wonder whether making a shelter out of fallen branches and starting a fire counts as tech work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does ketamine count

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

does ketamine count

no

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

big scary monsters posted:

sitting naked in the woods, snow falling all around me, shivering as i wonder whether making a shelter out of fallen branches and starting a fire counts as tech work

this but unironically. you ever been naked in the woods bro? you ever catch a fish with your bare hands and eat it raw? i didn't think so

my answer is if you do it without the support of infrastructure it doesn't count. you have to craft a wooden spear or weave a bark snare to clothe yourself in leather before the cold-times come

echinopsis posted:

does ketamine count

sadly yes but there are tons of rad mushrooms/cacti that do not and i know One Weird Trick to make a bong by digging a hole and putting gravel in it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the way I see it, enjoy nature however you like as long as you aren't bothering other people (don't like bring a boom box or hold hikers up taking pictures of your ugly family)

but my style is definitely bushcraft and like, 18th century style trekking

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

that is of course the real answer, but not nearly as amusing to me as calling people out for using tents

distance yourself from the dystopia we are creating to whatever extent you feel comfortable/is possible for you. even if you are naked in the woods someone's gonna peep your parts with a satellite, the 21st century's a bitch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="owlhawk911" post="""]
sadly yes but there are tons of rad mushrooms/cacti that do not and i know One Weird Trick to make a bong by digging a hole and putting gravel in it
[/quote]

:chanpop:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i spent some time in the woods today

did some super sick (super safe, natch) babby jumps on my mountain bike :madmax:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bikes good

i went through a wooded trail to get to town yesterday instead of the usual highway route. four or five miles out of the way but i loved the quiet and the views

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

always take the scenic route

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://imgur.com/a/q1v1BAf

gf got free accomodation to "review" or write an advertorial peice on this fancy place over on the west coast. fuckin gorgeous. can't take a landscape photo to save my life

this photo, the tree in the upper middle thats whiteish/creamish colour? it's dead, but all the white is lichen. gently caress its a lot of lichen. you can see that hanging off other trees too, always constantly amazed how much of it there is there

got a chance to walk outdoors in new boots, working them in before bid walk around easter

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
bump :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🥺

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bump

:negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
took the kids across the entire country today and back

I took some photos of some stuff I saw

most of those taken during the golden hour on drive home. usually the landscape in that part of the country is a bit lame and barren but looks ok here
that water though, it's a milky blue colour it's pretty fuckin cool, kids were amazed

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 21, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that's really loving cool echinopsis, i like them so much i'm not gonna deliberately misspell your name

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

v nice

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The first one looks like a painting

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm kind of fast approaching wanting to be a stay-at-home dad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

i'm kind of fast approaching wanting to be a stay-at-home dad

i know...four? and three of them are professional chefs who married doctors or lawyers. so apparently that's the secret

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
unfortunately my wife and I only really have around-equal incomes so :smith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

that's really loving cool echinopsis, i like them so much i'm not gonna deliberately misspell your name

thanks man, such an honour to be respected as such lmao

Methanar posted:

The first one looks like a painting

thanks fellas 😁

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
big bump. looking forward to spring big time, really want to go out camping with friends again.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
how do you find a wealthy doctor to marry.

asking for a friend

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

didnt read the thread

all my fellow coworkers are burning out 1 by 1, the best of them are bailing early, its bumming me out and i wish to bail as well, i wish to wander off into the woods and not touch computer

:baduk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

didnt read the thread

all my fellow coworkers are burning out 1 by 1, the best of them are bailing early, its bumming me out and i wish to bail as well, i wish to wander off into the woods and not touch computer

:baduk:

Same. My team is down to three, but the projects are accelerating

My boss was gonna leave but they gave him enough money to stay I guess

Looking forward to camping in 2 weeks :gbsmith:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

thanks fellas 😁

:henget:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
having a week off and taking the kids away was real special, really need to squeeze more of that into my life somehow. we managed to find some kind of river to walk up, across all the rocks. my kids enjoyed it and that says a lot about my 10yo because he doesn’t walk all that well (well walking is ok but anything more intense than walking isn’t so good) and it was so positive to see him do it all. gently caress I’m so god drat depressed in my job and the thought of taking them away last week and having a whole week with them makes me hate full time work and the high cost of simply existing. gently caress I wish I could spend more time with them. guess regardless gotta make it so the time we do spend is worthwhile. nz surely has a good share of outdoor experiences, it’s just a shame christchurch is in the centre of the canterbury plains which is actually the very worst part of the country for anything like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the things our culture fails to do is let people transition gradually from working to not. you’re supposed to work 40+ hours until the exact moment your financial advisor says you’ll probably not live long enough to spend all your money before you die. then you stop working altogether permanently [unless there’s a recession and you retire at the “wrong time”] we should let people taper off work instead