Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So my phone keeps wanting to autocorrect my first name to a weird capitalization scheme (capitalizing the 4th letter).

I reset the keyboard dictionary, but it still keeps happening. Is there something else I'm missing? On latest iOS, blah blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

So my phone keeps wanting to autocorrect my first name to a weird capitalization scheme (capitalizing the 4th letter).

I reset the keyboard dictionary, but it still keeps happening. Is there something else I'm missing? On latest iOS, blah blah blah.

Do you have someone entered in your contacts like that?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Weedle posted:

You can get a refurb X (same size) for $400 less than an 11 Pro: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FQA52LL/A/Refurbished-iPhone-X-64GB-Space-Gray
Yea, refurb X is on my list of options, but if it's the same size/weight and still going to be many hundreds of dollars, I'm lucky enough that I can afford the crazy price tag of the latest n greatest if I want. Tho now I'm trying to do the math in my head of whether the additional future-proofing of an 11 Pro is worth that much :v:

I will say I'm tempted by the rear camera array on the latter, even though I assume anything 8 and up will be a noticeable increase over the SE's regardless.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You can get whatever Gamestop considers refurb XS for $550 or an XS Max for $600

https://www.gamestop.com/electronics/cell-phones/cell-phones/products/iphone-xs-64gb-unlocked/11043588.html

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I would not buy an iPhone from GameStop. Their refurbishment process is basically “fish it out of the toilet it fell in.”

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Weedle posted:

I would not buy an iPhone from GameStop. Their refurbishment process is basically “fish it out of the toilet it fell in.”

Give them some credit, they at least probably grabbed a used paper towel to dry it off with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

I'm imagining Gamestop opening new boxes of iPhones to sell them used, and it's cracking me up so hard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm imagining Gamestop opening new boxes of iPhones to sell them used, and it's cracking me up so hard.

No no they crack open the boxes to put out for display and let people gently caress around with them all day and sell them as new.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have someone entered in your contacts like that?

I looked and no, only person that matches more than first 2 letters of my name is me and the capitalization is correct.

I reset the keyboard dictionary again and that fixed it for a bit, but it came back. I don’t use a Mac, is there some other sync/backup mechanism in play?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well this is bullshit. I turned off automatic app updates to prevent one app from updating (temporarily) and it loving updated anyway.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well this is bullshit. I turned off automatic app updates to prevent one app from updating (temporarily) and it loving updated anyway.

iMazing can backup apps for future reference.

You can also kinda skirt around this via :filez: but that’s illegal and heinous so I would not recommend.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ah, the wonderful app auto update. Hardly works when it should, works fine when it shouldn’t.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When i get a new email in an email chain the preview text (when ive opened the inbox) doesnt change from the last one i read. But the counter on my inbox icon on home screen has gone up 1.
Very annoying, because i know i have a new email but i have to click a few different ones to find out which one actually has a new one to load

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

What kind of policy does apple have for things like screen defects? I have a column on the right so of my phone that is yellow when I am looking at something white. It's not crippling, but it is annoying. However, the phone (iphone se) is around two years old at this point and I didn't pay for apple care or anything. If I took it in, would they just ask for full price to replace it?

I wouldn't even bother asking, but the battery on this phone experienced some kind of problem within the first year and shut down with 30% charge and enabled performance management, now I'm wondering if the two problems are related.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

NofrikinfuN posted:

What kind of policy does apple have for things like screen defects? I have a column on the right so of my phone that is yellow when I am looking at something white. It's not crippling, but it is annoying. However, the phone (iphone se) is around two years old at this point and I didn't pay for apple care or anything. If I took it in, would they just ask for full price to replace it?

I wouldn't even bother asking, but the battery on this phone experienced some kind of problem within the first year and shut down with 30% charge and enabled performance management, now I'm wondering if the two problems are related.

A SE screen repair from Apple is $129 out of warranty. If there is anything else wrong with the phone they will probably charge you the full device replacement fee ($269).

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Weedle posted:

A SE screen repair from Apple is $129 out of warranty. If there is anything else wrong with the phone they will probably charge you the full device replacement fee ($269).

Thanks. I guess I will just hang on to this one as-is for now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NofrikinfuN posted:

It's likely.

You could follow a disassembly guide far enough to lift the screen, then VERY CAREFULLY turn the device on and see if the visual disturbance disappears without the screen being fixed in place.

If it vanishes it's your battery causing the problem and you need to replace it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Any current recommendations with how to deal with large quantities of “Other” data on iPhone X w/current iOS? I’m sitting with a little over 29 GB of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IllegallySober posted:

Any current recommendations with how to deal with large quantities of “Other” data on iPhone X w/current iOS? I’m sitting with a little over 29 GB of it.

Ignore it and stop trying to micromanage your phone?

Are you being impacted in any way by it? If you are then your other option is to call Apple.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

iCloud backup, factory reset, restore from iCloud backup when prompted. Did this a few months ago and it worked perfectly. Didn’t lose anything and my “other” data is down to like 5GB.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Proteus Jones posted:

Ignore it and stop trying to micromanage your phone?

Are you being impacted in any way by it? If you are then your other option is to call Apple.

I was thinking about dropping down a tier of iCloud backup service.

Weedle posted:

iCloud backup, factory reset, restore from iCloud backup when prompted. Did this a few months ago and it worked perfectly. Didn’t lose anything and my “other” data is down to like 5GB.

I’ll give this a shot. Thanks!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Will try that on my iPad mini as well. I shortsightedly bought a 16GB 2nd gen mini in 2014. It works perfectly except for the paltry storage.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do they lump iMessage/MMS media in "Other"? I remember there being a point in time where that was a pain in the rear end.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey my wife and I both are having issues with Apple Music loading up on iOS 13 on various iphones / iPads.

A quick google says this is common but has anyone figured out a fix yet?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

teacup posted:

Hey my wife and I both are having issues with Apple Music loading up on iOS 13 on various iphones / iPads.

A quick google says this is common but has anyone figured out a fix yet?

What’s AM exactly doing? I’m using it right now just fine on an 11 Pro, latest iOS 13 whatever.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Skeezy posted:

What’s AM exactly doing? I’m using it right now just fine on an 11 Pro, latest iOS 13 whatever.

Seems about 50% of the time just won’t load searches, and will actively crash out and freeze. Happens on wifi and 4g- just makes no sense. Infuriating!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

teacup posted:

Seems about 50% of the time just won’t load searches, and will actively crash out and freeze. Happens on wifi and 4g- just makes no sense. Infuriating!

I’m on an 11 pro and have run into this, though nowhere near as much as you. I don’t know what causes it, but force quitting music or restarting the phone has helped in my case.

Annoying as hell when it does happen though, as like you it seems to be independent of connection type so it doesn’t seem like network issues.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Slothful Bong posted:

I’m on an 11 pro and have run into this, though nowhere near as much as you. I don’t know what causes it, but force quitting music or restarting the phone has helped in my case.

Annoying as hell when it does happen though, as like you it seems to be independent of connection type so it doesn’t seem like network issues.

lmao I have the same poo poo happen in Spotify, safari, Instagram, whatever loving app on my 11 pro max. Infuriating ngl. Restarting whatever app is doing it fixes it basically every time tho.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is it kind of faded yellow on the edge? It's probably aging screen adhesive, I see old phones all the time that have that around the whole edge of the LCD. Usually the 5 series (including the SE), but I've seen it on the 6 and 6S before.

So basically, it's super common with old phones, and wouldn't have anything to do with the battery repair.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TVs Ian posted:

Is it kind of faded yellow on the edge? It's probably aging screen adhesive, I see old phones all the time that have that around the whole edge of the LCD. Usually the 5 series (including the SE), but I've seen it on the 6 and 6S before.

So basically, it's super common with old phones, and wouldn't have anything to do with the battery repair.

That, or it's pressure on the screen element, which is also very common and caused by battery swelling.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

It's like a column the entire height of the phone roughly .5 cm from the edge of the screen. There are two columns, one on each side, each a little under .5 cm wide. It's not terrible, but I was imagining a scenario similar to my old tv where the defect was actually a symptom of a power inverter that eventually failed.

I wouldn't even be concerned about it if I could still renew my contract and have a new phone for $200, but I just finished paying $20/m for this one and they don't make phones this small anymore.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone with a pentalobe screwdriver and non-zero iPhone repair experience can easily check if it's the battery or not.

But given there's two columns it's probably not the battery.

EDIT: The battery is not centered in the phone and the screen is, so the battery causing a symmetric visual defect is nigh unheard of. Also when it's the adhesive it's So Not Worth It to repair if you can still bear using the phone. It's totally possible and also an utter nightmare of precision.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 28, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 13.3.1 dropped :siren:

release notes:

iOS 13.3.1 includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:

- Fixes an issue in Communication Limits that could allow a contact to be added without entering the Screen Time passcode

- Adds a setting to control the use of location services by the U1 Ultra Wideband chip

- Addresses an issue that could cause a momentary delay before editing a Deep Fusion photo taken on ‌iPhone 11‌ or iPhone 11 Pro

- Resolves an issue with Mail that could cause remote images to load even when the “Load Remote Images” setting is disabled

- Fixes an issue that could cause multiple undo dialogs to appear in Mail

- Addresses an issue where FaceTime could use the rear facing ultra-wide camera instead of the wide camera

- Resolves an issue where push notifications could fail to be delivered over Wi-Fi

- Addresses a CarPlay issue that could cause distorted sound when making phone calls in certain vehicles

- Introduces support for Indian English Siri voices for HomePod

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Holy poo poo I just tapped a Mail.app notification and the email opened right up. The future... is back.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 13.3.1 dropped :siren:

release notes:

iOS 13.3.1 includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:

- Fixes an issue in Communication Limits that could allow a contact to be added without entering the Screen Time passcode

- Adds a setting to control the use of location services by the U1 Ultra Wideband chip

- Addresses an issue that could cause a momentary delay before editing a Deep Fusion photo taken on ‌iPhone 11‌ or iPhone 11 Pro

- Resolves an issue with Mail that could cause remote images to load even when the “Load Remote Images” setting is disabled

- Fixes an issue that could cause multiple undo dialogs to appear in Mail

- Addresses an issue where FaceTime could use the rear facing ultra-wide camera instead of the wide camera

- Resolves an issue where push notifications could fail to be delivered over Wi-Fi

- Addresses a CarPlay issue that could cause distorted sound when making phone calls in certain vehicles

- Introduces support for Indian English Siri voices for HomePod

I'm hoping the CarPlay issue is really fixed. For me and many other people it wasn't distorted sound while making calls it was anytime there was audio playing. I had to disable CarPlay as it was stuttering making podcast horrible.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

It doesn’t have to be iCloud backup anymore. It used to be different but now an iCloud backup and iTunes backup restore the exact same thing.

For what it’s worth, I’ve found that plugging the phone into iTunes and simply creating a fresh iTunes backup sometimes flushes out lots of “Other” data.

Two other things to consider:
If you use iCloud Photos, the photos actually do remain on your phone but will be listed as “Other” data rather than photo data. That data would be erased if your phone needs the space.

Also, if you use Apple Music and have Optimize Storage enabled, this will also increase your “Other” data if you have songs downloaded. I also think it caches songs that you stream rather than re-streaming them every time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
'Other' data got so out of control on my 32GB 7 Plus that it made the device near unusable.

I could make it go away for a while by doing the backup/restore thing but it was back to it's old 'low storage' ways within a couple of days.

I never got a proper solution, guess the moral of the story is don't ever buy the lowest capacity iPhone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

dissss posted:

'Other' data got so out of control on my 32GB 7 Plus that it made the device near unusable.

I could make it go away for a while by doing the backup/restore thing but it was back to it's old 'low storage' ways within a couple of days.

I never got a proper solution, guess the moral of the story is don't ever buy the lowest capacity iPhone.

Are you making this evaluation via iTunes? The storage settings tab breaks down usage by app in a very fine way unless you’re on a very ancient iOS.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
We are on the way to 13.3.7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Tim Apple would never be that cool.