Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's always a treat when a surname tells you everything about the person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

The stock talking point of "Washington / Ottawa politics are bad and we need to lower taxes to zero to make society work" is what every conservative in North America uses in every election. It's amazing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

berenzen posted:

It's always a treat when a surname tells you everything about the person.

Nominative determinism.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Starting with a list of protecting union member industries is pretty rich, but the whole thing is garbage.

e: Cancel Culture and the Radical Left okay Kellie Lietch

less than three fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 27, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Femtosecond posted:

Great article about the Wet’suwet’en LNG protest issue from JWR. Does a better job of explaining the core real issues than most reporting so far.
That transition is never going to happen in regions that are deemed vital to the national interest and I wish the provincial and federal government would stop pretending otherwise. It pacifies people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Someone who worked for Harper talked to Jesus and realized he'd been wrong and SIS's were actually a good thing.

The comments section is what you expect it would be.

Opinion: I used to believe safe drug sites were bad, but I was wrong

This is a pretty good bit of religious shade at Kenny et al.

quote:

The second place you’d find Jesus today would be denouncing the hypocrisy of modern “Pharisees,” the self-righteous who cling to religious observance, but whose actions are unmerciful and lead to death.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 27, 2020

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

mediaphage posted:

What a loser. Also some real winning retweets there (lol Katie Hopkins) including one segue where I found apparently the right is starting to believe or at least spread the idea that Notre dame was burned on purpose by muslims as part of a holy war??????

Right-wingers have believed Muslims set the Notre Dame fire since the Notre Dame fire. I just assumed only the Internet fever swamp still believed it.

less than three posted:

Starting with a list of protecting union member industries is pretty rich, but the whole thing is garbage.

e: Cancel Culture and the Radical Left okay Kellie Lietch

Reminder that O'Toole is supported by Ontario/Canada Proud guy Jeff Ballingall.

https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/1221861273832509440

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Tory Red! Imagine!!!

just another posted:

That transition is never going to happen in regions that are deemed vital to the national interest and I wish the provincial and federal government would stop pretending otherwise. It pacifies people.

Read uh Red Skin, White Masks: Rejecting the Colonial Politics of Recognition by Glen Coulthard. He talk about how liberal politics does work to pacify and assimilate First Nations! There's an emergent literature that discusses why the pacification is part of the point of government strategies of engaging with First Nations issues.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 27, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Toalpaz posted:

Tory Red! Imagine!!!

Read uh Red Skin, White Masks: Rejecting the Colonial Politics of Recognition by Glen Coulthard. He talk about how liberal politics does work to pacify and assimilate First Nations! There's an emergent literature that discusses why the pacification is part of the point of government strategies of engaging with First Nations issues.
I've read excerpts in a course reader but it's probably time I sit down and read it properly. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm wary of diagnosing liberalism as the problem, though, and not because I'm interested in defending liberalism. And I'm increasingly doubtful that "imperialism" continues to have relevant explanatory power for the current situation.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Don Pigeon posted:

The stock talking point of "Washington / Ottawa politics are bad and we need to lower taxes to zero to make society work" is what every conservative in North America uses in every election. It's amazing.
Because it works. You're not a 'serious' candidate unless you Have A Plan To Keep Taxes Low.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's enough steps and distance between you and the government that people just don't grasp how poo poo works for the most part. But they hear taxes low and that's enough for them because they can follow that logic even though they're not the ones that benefit from it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Part of the appeal of promising tax cuts is also credibility. Voters are very skeptical that politicians can actually implement their promises, especially if the promise involves a substantial expenditure of money. Tax cuts are viewed as more likely to actually happen and their impact is seen as very direct. This is supposedly why Harper was so eager to cut the GST by a couple points. It was opposed by most economists on the grounds that taxes on consumption are better than taxes on income and each point cut represented billions lost in annual tax revenue but polls showed that the move was extremely visible and that was enough to justify doing it. Harper cut the GST, everyone knew he cut the GST, and thus it was a winning policy even if it made no substantial difference in anyone's day to day life.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Helsing posted:

Part of the appeal of promising tax cuts is also credibility. Voters are very skeptical that politicians can actually implement their promises, especially if the promise involves a substantial expenditure of money. Tax cuts are viewed as more likely to actually happen and their impact is seen as very direct. This is supposedly why Harper was so eager to cut the GST by a couple points. It was opposed by most economists on the grounds that taxes on consumption are better than taxes on income and each point cut represented billions lost in annual tax revenue but polls showed that the move was extremely visible and that was enough to justify doing it. Harper cut the GST, everyone knew he cut the GST, and thus it was a winning policy even if it made no substantial difference in anyone's day to day life.

A substantial loss of government revenue also means substantial need to reorganize or cut government services and employees, which is a core Conservative principle as well. You can't run on firing a bunch of people though, normally, (RIP Hudak campaign in Ontario) so you have to call it "efficiencies" or some poo poo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Efficiency is a good thing but it's used and touted so much that you think efficiency is in and of itself a natural good.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Funny how the never say by what metric they are being more efficient.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

There's a difference between efficiency and "efficiency." One is making the best use of the resources you have and the other is a political code word for cutting public services.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

There's a difference between efficiency and "efficiency." One is making the best use of the resources you have and the other is a political code word for cutting public services.

Eh, the former isn't always necessarily the best use, just better.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got a Nanos poll that doesn't ask political affiliation.

Thinking of the ideal federal Conservative Party leader, please score positions on social issues on a scale where 1 is “the ideal Conservative Party leader is not at all socially conservative” and 10 is “the ideal Conservative Party leader is very socially conservative”.

10 because the ideal Conservative leader is unelectable.

It also asked how many billion dollars should be spent building TMX. UNLIMITED, ALL THE DOLLARS being one :lol:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The GST cut also had the advantage of being an implicit federalism measure, where provinces were free to raise the provincial portion of the HST two points to recapture the space being vacated by the federal government. That weakened Ottawa at the expense of the provinces, which the Conservatives like.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

drat that Justin Trudeau for creating the current transfer payment formula in 2009!

https://twitter.com/tylerrdawson/status/1221967859443568640

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ErinOTooleMP/status/1222232144405286918

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Not attending Pride to protest their discrimination against uniformed-Canadians.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wow did you know that Erin O'Toole used to wear a uniform?????

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Its working!!!!!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Erin O'Toole: "We can not allow the radical left to hijack our Pride Parades, also did you know that I was in the Air Force?"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also did you know that the socons hate O'Toole

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
wow they actually use "transgender" once. Only once, but I guess even socons are vulnerable to cultural drift.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like that "not marching in a Pride parade" is somehow pro-Life

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

Q: Scheer got criticized for being too progressive

Scheer. Too progressive.

:psyduck:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 9, 2022

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Same is true everywhere tbh

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 9, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Our brave response to Trump's designed-to-fail "peace plan":
https://twitter.com/FP_Champagne/status/1222352843191046146

I guess at least we don't have Scheer in power offering to lend Israel the CAF to forcibly displace the Palestinians when they refuse to sign their lives away.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
~ tories delenda est ~

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 9, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It feels a bit terrifying to witness our conservatives rushing as fast as they can to catch up with the rest of the worlds evil garbage conservatives in the race to the far right/fascism. I know Canadians of all stripes normally resist big changes of any kind (our best feature, but also our worst) but man it sure feels like Harper found a way to get at least 50% of this country to ignore, or worse encourage, this drastic shift in politics.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I think it's the oil and gas industry. they've done an excellent job of normalizing white nationalism through support of rebel media and these 'proud' organizations.

yea, they have frontmen like harper or manning, but all that money made it possible.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

It feels a bit terrifying to witness our conservatives rushing as fast as they can to catch up with the rest of the worlds evil garbage conservatives in the race to the far right/fascism. I know Canadians of all stripes normally resist big changes of any kind (our best feature, but also our worst) but man it sure feels like Harper found a way to get at least 50% of this country to ignore, or worse encourage, this drastic shift in politics.

I don't know if I 100% agree that it was Harper. He kept the wingnuts in check, for the most part. He still let them into the tent, but made them leave a lot of their socon stuff at the door. Once he was gone, there was a vacuum that allowed some of the fringier elements to act boldly. Remember, in the last leadership race they almost picked Maxime Bernier.

As much as we like to pretend we're better than the Americans, Canadians are just as susceptible to their massive rightwing propaganda machines. Fox News may not discuss Canada much, but the social attitudes they push have been adopted by many rightwing voters and some politicians here. The Rebel and the Proud pages push a lot of that stuff too, of course, and I sincerely believe Facebook has been the leader in spreading all of this nonsense. This is where we get Yellow Vesters and the Nouns of Odin and all that other poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Harper is an insane SoCon though, he just knew they needed to keep the quiet part quiet while silently loving up things as much as possible in the background.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
The major material difference between America and Canada is that the Canadian housing market did not explode like theirs did in 2007-8. As a result there are much fewer people who are in the state of dispossession and anomie that creates a potential base for stronger right populism. The core of the conservative base right now that is activated and angry is in the Prairies where reduced commodities, evangelical religion and the lack of other calming social institutions have let the more populist version of conservatism to flourish.

We do have the same kind of terrible conservatism as the States but it does not have the critical mass to have stranglehold on all lower levels of government that they do in the US.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
CBC radio had a panel discussion this morning with a group of CPC apparatchiks. Three things I learned from them:

1) The SoCons are a lunatic fringe that do not reflect the true spirit of The Movement(tm) and have no hope of leading the party.

2) These apparatchiks are tying themselves in knots trying to reconcile a business as usual resource extraction economy with a majority of Canadians being concerned about climate change.

3) They're very concerned that they've been effective at communicating what they're against but not so good at what they're for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

CBC radio had a panel discussion this morning with a group of CPC apparatchiks. Three things I learned from them:

1) The SoCons are a lunatic fringe that do not reflect the true spirit of The Movement(tm) and have no hope of leading the party.

2) These apparatchiks are tying themselves in knots trying to reconcile a business as usual resource extraction economy with a majority of Canadians being concerned about climate change.

3) They're very concerned that they've been effective at communicating what they're against but not so good at what they're for.

"We're for destroying the planet and taking away rights from people! Wait no, that doesn't sound like a winning strategy, let's just stick with Trudeau is a girl and we need a Real Man in charge."