Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A 2009/2010 (Mac Pro 4,1/5,1) still has some value and be upgraded with a modern AMD card. I use one as my regular desktop machine.
The earlier models are a bit too old to run anything modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

A 2009/2010 (Mac Pro 4,1/5,1) still has some value and be upgraded with a modern AMD card. I use one as my regular desktop machine.
The earlier models are a bit too old to run anything modern.

This- and a 4,1 can be reflashed to be a 5,1 and then can take 2012-2013 off-the-shelf (or rather, used server CPUs from eBay) cpu upgrades to get it relatively up-to-date.

Last I checked, it could keep up with something like a 2017 iMac pretty well with the right diy upgrades.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
A Mac Pro with a single X5690 is roughly equal to an i3 Mac Mini in CPU performance. Of course, you can shove 192GB of RAM and a 5700 XT in there, too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ 5700 XTs not supported in Mojave, you'd have to dosdude/OpenCore a 4,1/5,1 to Catalina 10.15.2+ before that happens.

On upgraded 4,1 and regular 5,1 cheesegraters: you can also buy a $20 PCIe carrier card, slap on a modern PCIe NVMe SSD, and use that as your boot/system, and get speeds of 1,500 MB/sec for disk I/O, and save the SATA slots for big cheap platter drives for Time Machine/other backup.

For another $300 that carrier card can be a special bifurcating card that will let the SSD operate at around 3,000 MB/sec for reads, 2,000 MB for writes.

It should be noted that the recommended AMD upgrade card, the RX 580, is absolutely necessary and needs to be installed before you upgrade to Mojave.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 29, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Eh, you can get by with a GeForce 680.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You can but boy is it ever slow, probably because it's using generic drivers provided by nVidia for cards that went into iMacs in 2014.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Xdrive is kind of neat as a museum piece... They discontinued those around 2005 didn't they? It's primary purpose would be a space heater probably.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flail Snail posted:

That's cool to hear.

My workplace is offloading some hardware. Most of it is overpriced and/or pretty trash but some items look sort of compelling. Keeping in mind this wouldn't be a daily driver for me, would $175 be a decent price for a 2011 model iMac?

There's also an old Xserve. I've got a tiny homelab and wouldn't mind adding another server to it. Cracking it open, I see eight 1GB sticks of RAM installed, three 1TB SATA drives, and an RV630 GPU. I didn't have a screwdriver to remove the shroud so I couldn't get at the CPU. Perusing the Wikipedia article on Xserve and noting the one mini-DVI port and 1TB drives, it seems to be a customized 2008. Anyone have experience on these? I can get it for $100. Primary concerns would be power usage and noise - I know certain older servers have issues with those. My current server is from '09 and isn't too bad but I've heard that's basically on the edge between power-hungry noise monster and not.

Just for completion's sake, the last two things that maybe aren't trash are some first-gen Mac Pros for $200 and $600 but I don't really have any interest in them.

Luke Miami did a couple Xserve videos

https://youtu.be/FDU4dEUC1XQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Man, gently caress this thread.

Is a 2010 8-core 5,1 in "like new condition" with the bare essentials (5870, 12 gig RAM, 3TB platter drive) worth $500?

I figure I could upgrade it to 12 cores for like $150-200, pop a 580 in for ~$100, add RAM and NVMe, 4k displays are down to the $250 range.....

Edit: 2x x5690 kit=$200 on eBay, 580= $160, this is a silly silly idea. But also I've always wanted one of these mac pros, and it would probably pull decent double-duty as a bootcamp gaming rig with a 580 in it, but also Apple's just gonna abandon it in like a year........

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 29, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is a 2010 8-core 5,1 in "like new condition" with the bare essentials (5870, 12 gig RAM, 3TB platter drive) worth $500?

I figure I could upgrade it to 12 cores for like $150-200, pop a 580 in for ~$100, add RAM and NVMe, 4k displays are down to the $250 range.....

Edit: 2x x5690 kit=$200 on eBay, 580= $160, this is a silly silly idea. But also I've always wanted one of these mac pros, and it would probably pull decent double-duty as a bootcamp gaming rig with a 580 in it, but also Apple's just gonna abandon it in like a year........

Don’t go down that hole! I thought about it and it’s a slippery slope! :homebrew:

Also this is probably a stupid question but I’m returning a MBP to amazon do I need to wipe the thing before I send it in? The return page didn’t say anything about it and I really CBA to wipe the thing if I can just leave it in the box.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That's some ancient hardware in that thing, Westmere is the same generation as the Core i7-970. It'll probably work for a simple desktop machine but I'd only go for it as a museum piece personally.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I’m running a 5,1 as my main Mac and it’s fine, I wouldn’t drop $500 USD for one though, dual-CPU or not.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t go down that hole! I thought about it and it’s a slippery slope! :homebrew:

Also this is probably a stupid question but I’m returning a MBP to amazon do I need to wipe the thing before I send it in? The return page didn’t say anything about it and I really CBA to wipe the thing if I can just leave it in the box.

:stare:

Why would you not power wash your laptop before giving it to a stranger who is then going to give it to another stranger

This is akin to handing your wallet to a stranger on the bus. I wouldn't leave anything in there you don't want being used

Supposedly your data is secure on an Apple, but,

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Bob Morales posted:

Luke Miami did a couple Xserve videos

https://youtu.be/FDU4dEUC1XQ

Thanks for that. So many videos. Looks like I've got something to binge for a while.

I have things to think on. I've flip-flopped a few times. I'll probably just bite the bullet and keep it in a closet until we move in a few months.

Flail Snail fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 29, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

If I were you, I'd follow Apple's tips here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Verrrry important to turn off Find My Mac or the next owner of the MBP might come after you looking for the password so he can remove your literal digital taint from the machine.

In other news, it looks like Apple's given up on keeping firmware specific to one macOS over the other.. the latest Security Update for Mojave and the latest point release for Catalina now upgrade the firmware to the same revision on both OSes.. before, they'd be slightly different.

The only machine this doesn't hold true for is.. you guessed it, the Mac Pro 4,1 / 5,1. It got its last firmware upgrade back in the release of 10.14.6, revision 144.0.0.0. As firmware updates often patch the Meltdown / Spectre exploits for a particular CPU, Intel gave up on the Xeons in the 2010/2012 machines and haven't offered any patches for those in a long time. Oddly enough, the Ivy Bridge Xeons in the Trash Can Pros are still receiving firmware updates, most likely because Intel is still providing M/S patches.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 29, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

If I were you, I'd follow Apple's tips here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Verrrry important to turn off Find My Mac or the next owner of the MBP might come after you looking for the password so he can remove your literal digital taint from the machine.

Yeah fair enough. I only used the machine once and decided I really didn’t need it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
*buys pre-owned MBP from Amazon

"hey what's all this 'Fetlife Login' stuff in the browser history....and wtf is a 'MarcusSA'....."

Binary Badger posted:

The only machine this doesn't hold true for is.. you guessed it, the Mac Pro 4,1 / 5,1. It got its last firmware upgrade back in the release of 10.14.6, revision 144.0.0.0. As firmware updates often patch the Meltdown / Spectre exploits for a particular CPU, Intel gave up on the Xeons in the 2010/2012 machines and haven't offered any patches for those in a long time. Oddly enough, the Ivy Bridge Xeons in the Trash Can Pros are still receiving firmware updates, most likely because Intel is still providing M/S patches.

God, Apple's like an emotionally abusive spouse. The only goddamn computer company that's like "Our OS is the best and we love how loyal our users are. You can truly do anything on a Mac. You can use any AMD (and only AMD) gpu you want, but you gotta buy a stupid-expensive pro tower or a fugly external enclosure that we don't make and that's it. Bing bong so simple. It just works."

Just give us a loving minitower, you pricks. You can make it cost $4k if you're worried about margins. Or a display that pairs with an iMac without looking like rear end. Or a keyboard and mouse that actually match the colors of the iMac after ~13 years. These things would take, like, zero effort for the most valuable company in the world and would probably make you money as opposed to losing it.

As a biology/education person it's been sad to see tons of jobs that macs were once commonly used for being switched over to Windows merely because Apple left those markets high and dry for a decade. I've written before that Mac Pros used to be commonplace in imaging and microscopy suites. Hell, Apple used to tout it on their website.

Even if people wanted new Mac Pros (and they really do), and they had the funding to pay $20k+ for them (and they definitely do, our current scope workstations are like $60k 12 core behemoths churning out stacks of 20gb image files), the manufacturers have all stopped writing software for MacOS. That ship sailed and it probably isn't ever coming back.

I don't normally entertain many 'Steve vs Tim' lines of thought, but academia and non-Hollywood pro markets are one clear place where the two differ. Steve fetishized the academic/science market and loved putting them front and center. It was the guiding philosophy behind NEXT and it carried over into '00s-era Apple. He named one of his kids after the school he dropped out of. According to John Carmack, Steve resented the fact that gaming (and shooters, mainly) came to drive much of the development in the PC space. He wanted kids doing art and science and poo poo (learning typography) with his computers and it didn't matter if it ate into the bottom line or cost the company money. It's apparently a big reason why Apple went out of their way to never give a poo poo about graphics, and it's definitely both arrogant and stupid, but at least it's an ethos. Tim still doesn't care about gaming either, unless it's on iOS, but he also doesn't think very much of the researchers and educators.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know I know. I’m gonna wipe it I was just being lazy.

Hopefully the rumored 14 inchers come out soon...

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Electric Bugaloo posted:

God, Apple's like an emotionally abusive spouse. The only goddamn computer company that's like "Our OS is the best and we love how loyal our users are. You can truly do anything on a Mac. You can use any AMD (and only AMD) gpu you want, but you gotta buy a stupid-expensive pro tower or a fugly external enclosure that we don't make and that's it. Bing bong so simple. It just works."

Just give us a loving minitower, you pricks. You can make it cost $4k if you're worried about margins. Or a display that pairs with an iMac without looking like rear end. Or a keyboard and mouse that actually match the colors of the iMac after ~13 years. These things would take, like, zero effort for the most valuable company in the world and would probably make you money as opposed to losing it.

As a biology/education person it's been sad to see tons of jobs that macs were once commonly used for being switched over to Windows merely because Apple left those markets high and dry for a decade. I've written before that Mac Pros used to be commonplace in imaging and microscopy suites. Hell, Apple used to tout it on their website.

Even if people wanted new Mac Pros (and they really do), and they had the funding to pay $20k+ for them (and they definitely do, our current scope workstations are like $60k 12 core behemoths churning out stacks of 20gb image files), the manufacturers have all stopped writing software for MacOS. That ship sailed and it probably isn't ever coming back.

I don't normally entertain many 'Steve vs Tim' lines of thought, but academia and non-Hollywood pro markets are one clear place where the two differ. Steve fetishized the academic/science market and loved putting them front and center. It was the guiding philosophy behind NEXT and it carried over into '00s-era Apple. He named one of his kids after the school he dropped out of. According to John Carmack, Steve resented the fact that gaming (and shooters, mainly) came to drive much of the development in the PC space. He wanted kids doing art and science and poo poo (learning typography) with his computers and it didn't matter if it ate into the bottom line or cost the company money. It's apparently a big reason why Apple went out of their way to never give a poo poo about graphics, and it's definitely both arrogant and stupid, but at least it's an ethos. Tim still doesn't care about gaming either, unless it's on iOS, but he also doesn't think very much of the researchers and educators.
I loved my blue and white G3 tower. Best mac config ever made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty sure the only reason Next focused on the high-end $10,000 workstation education market was because Steve signed some non-compete with Apple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I loved my blue and white G3 tower. Best mac config ever made.

Ugh. I almost bought one of those this past year too. When I have the space/time, I'll pick up some kind of G3/G4 imac/powermac and load it up with Macintosh Garden poo poo. Just to have it as a repository of when Apple was weird.

My undergrad lab had probably 5 or 6 Powermacs- G3s, G4s, and I remember one G5- sitting in a back room with some old-rear end PCR machines and scopes and poo poo (this was 2008/2009). My then-PI was really bad about getting old data off of them, which is the main reason why he kept them around.

When our main (fortunately time-machined) iMac suffered a HDD failure, he had a moment of panic and made us come in and spend like three days extracting valuable poo poo from boxes and boxes of ZipDisks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If I wanted to replace the drive in my G5 do I need to be aware of anything or can I just toss a SATA drive in there?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I now have a broken 21.5" 4K iMac (2017). My friend tried to put in an SSD, which he did successfully, but the screen doesn't work. It does work great when hooked up to an external display. Is there any way to diagnose whether he hosed up the display, the cable, or the logic board on my own, or do I basically have no choice but to take it to an AASP and pay some diagnostic fee so they can test it with parts they have on hand?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/zcLbSCinX3U

Linus’ Apple heel turn over the last year has proven fascinating to me. Guess he realized he could cannibalize the Marcus/Justine viewerbase, and he was right on the money.

Also bless Anthony and his Mac Frankenstein skills.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://youtu.be/zcLbSCinX3U

Linus’ Apple heel turn over the last year has proven fascinating to me. Guess he realized he could cannibalize the Marcus/Justine viewerbase, and he was right on the money.

Also bless Anthony and his Mac Frankenstein skills.

The glare on that matte screen is awful compared to the glossy apple one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone looking to get rid of a 2013-2015 MBP any size hit me up. A buddy of mine is looking for one for his sister.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I now have a broken 21.5" 4K iMac (2017). My friend tried to put in an SSD, which he did successfully, but the screen doesn't work. It does work great when hooked up to an external display. Is there any way to diagnose whether he hosed up the display, the cable, or the logic board on my own, or do I basically have no choice but to take it to an AASP and pay some diagnostic fee so they can test it with parts they have on hand?

Any chance you or your friend could open it up and try again? It wouldn’t be a certainty, but it would definitely be worth retracing your steps and trying to way to reseat the cables. Apart from that, it’d be looking for visible damage to the cable and connectors.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (A1286) where the SSD has died from disuse, unreadable and unwritable. I remember there were originally issues with only some particular SATA SSD models would work on Mac, is that still an issue with current SSD models for this hardware version, or can I just get any new SATA SSD off the shelf and install?

Also, what macOS versions would run on this model? I think it had 10.8 last it was working.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nielsm posted:

Also, what macOS versions would run on this model? I think it had 10.8 last it was working.

10.13 is the last version that will run on a 2010.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nielsm posted:

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (A1286) where the SSD has died from disuse, unreadable and unwritable. I remember there were originally issues with only some particular SATA SSD models would work on Mac, is that still an issue with current SSD models for this hardware version, or can I just get any new SATA SSD off the shelf and install?

You'd probably be safe with a Samsung 860 EVO, as the SSDs Apple themselves used at the time were just OEM versions of the Samsung SATA SSDs available at that time, which were 830's and 840s. SanDisk is also Mac friendly as they used to have a Mac-specific firmware updater for some of their drives.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Managed to get High Sierra installing on a 64 GB USB stick, it should finish any minute now. Also ordered a WD Blue SSD, according to the experts in the SSD megathread that's a rebranding of SanDisk after WD bought SanDisk.

Edit: Yeah OS installed and working. Only everything is insanely slow running off a USB flash memory stick that's not designed for it. I got beachball just moving the mouse over a window border, presumably just from delay loading the resize cursor??

Edit 2: :lol: takes more than 7 minutes for a cold boot to desktop, and random freezes all the time while the flash memory does its things

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 2, 2020

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I feel like one of those silly boomers who don't know how to use a computer even though I'm an engineer and I've had apple poo poo for years but HERE GOES

I can't find the power button on my mac. I just got it from a friend and there's no power button on the bottom in the back like the last one I had. There's a wireless keyboard with a power button on it but the batteries are dead so I found and plugged in the USB keyboard and mouse from my other computer, but gently caress lot of good that's going to do if there's no power button.

WHAR POWAR BUTTAN. MAIN SCREEN TURN ON.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

don’t like, tell us what model or anything

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Good luck goon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lazyhound posted:

don’t like, tell us what model or anything
It's a mac.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah, isn’t there just the one?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Vino posted:

I feel like one of those silly boomers who don't know how to use a computer even though I'm an engineer and I've had apple poo poo for years but HERE GOES

I can't find the power button on my mac. I just got it from a friend and there's no power button on the bottom in the back like the last one I had. There's a wireless keyboard with a power button on it but the batteries are dead so I found and plugged in the USB keyboard and mouse from my other computer, but gently caress lot of good that's going to do if there's no power button.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201150

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
“Where’s the power button?”

“On what?”

“On the Mac! WHERE is POWAR BUTTAN?!”

“What kind of Mac?”

“You know. The one everyone knows. The Mac. This Mac.” Pulls out AirPort Extreme.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
WHERE IS THE POWER BUTTON ON THIS MAC!

[pulls out a 48 bit string of hexadecimal characters]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vino posted:

It's actually a Mac screen that looks exactly like an iMac. PLOT TWIST! (Apple Thunderbolt Display?)

[edit] Like this?