Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm thinking it is, because I don't remember the film looking that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really is like a video game cutscene in so many ways.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
But they deepfake some actors faces on the 3d fursuits while they crawl around a graveyard whispering poo poo AHHHH

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

God when this gets released in 4K it will be cinemas greatest masterpiece. Pregerably with maximum frame insertion so it looks ultra ultra realistic no feet.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
in 2023 someone's going to release a new cats that's a shot-for-shot deliberately poor 3d render of this exact film cut with some horrifyiing sort of noise track

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

my boy skimbleshanks has a black belt in tap dance fighting
It's the greatest disappointment of the movie that we didn't get a longer scene of Skimbleshanks confronting Growltiger.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

nankeen posted:

in 2023 someone's going to release a new cats that's a shot-for-shot deliberately poor 3d render of this exact film cut with some horrifyiing sort of noise track

Needs to be done in this CG style
https://youtu.be/3UaNB-ruHpQ

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I think we are all Odin casting away his eye to drink from the well of knowledge, except we are also cursed by this knowledge

I feel legitimately cursed now

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao at Skimbleshanks burying his face straight for Gus' asparagus-hole at the end of that clip, lol

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hallelujah posted:

dune + cats = ???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I totally tell you a Dune broadway musical would be amazing

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The thing about the cats with sneakers is that the sneakers are pixelated to hell. There's several shots in the movie where everything in the background is pixelated.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

The thing about the cats with sneakers is that the sneakers are pixelated to hell. There's several shots in the movie where everything in the background is pixelated.

And there's several other shots where things like scarves or hats straight noclip through elements of CG cat anatomy, so it really is near-impossible to diagetically determine what's (supposed to be) real.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McSpanky posted:

And there's several other shots where things like scarves or hats straight noclip through elements of CG cat anatomy, so it really is near-impossible to diagetically determine what's (supposed to be) real.

Honestly that kind of sounds true for the entire thing. It doesn't try to make sense. If anything it makes an effort not to.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The special effects for Cats reminds me of this article about some Harry Potter-themed party that people payed $50 bucks for. It promised Hogwarts-themed food and wands, and ended up providing the wateriest pudding and disposable chopsticks as wands. In Cats, the special effects people promised good graphics, and then we get Jennywheresmyfeet and Judi Dench's ring.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/1221852230984306688

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

The special effects for Cats reminds me of this article about some Harry Potter-themed party that people payed $50 bucks for. It promised Hogwarts-themed food and wands, and ended up providing the wateriest pudding and disposable chopsticks as wands. In Cats, the special effects people promised good graphics, and then we get Jennywheresmyfeet and Judi Dench's ring.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/harry-potter-party-refunds-complaints-lol-events-montreal-canada-a9213566.html

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Stop calling them "rowdy cats screenings"

They are called jellicle balls

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I loving love this story. It's so great. Lmao.

MacheteZombie posted:

Macavity is stored in the Jellicle Balls.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Managed to watch a copy of the Korean video release, can confirm Judi Dench is still clearly wearing a wedding ring.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LwqnJrQfh8

4:44 to see Judy Dench's perfect human hands, and that's one of many.

Lid fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 27, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

lmao at the people who thought the wedding ring was a mistake and not a sign that old deuteronomy has a cat consort

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Twitch posted:

Managed to watch a copy of the Korean video release, can confirm Judi Dench is still clearly wearing a wedding ring.

I've got PMs, honey, if you've got the links.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
But is it any *different* or worse than the standard US wedding ring cut? Like, with pre-first-trailer-backlash graphics? If so I assume there would already be side by side comparisons up on Twitter right?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No, the updated US version is the Asian version as their release date was later.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Unfortunately lost my PM ability the last time I banned myself. Beyond that, this is nothing personal, it's a "I'd hook you up if I could" situation.

I assume this is the source of the higher quality screencaps/Youtube clips that have been showing up.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So you love Jellicle Cats, now you’ll love Jeruku Kattsu!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ivveMvDuk&feature=youtu.be

Cats was #1 in Japan this whole weekend so maybe it finally found it’s audience...

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MacheteZombie posted:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Only if each screening ends with sacrificing the audience member who sings best.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LwqnJrQfh8

4:44 to see Judy Dench's perfect human hands, and that's one of many.

The weird editing this guy did to avoid YouTube's copyright robots just adds to the mystery

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 28, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guys, they all have perfect human hands. It’s fur to the wrists, then hands. That’s the style. It’s not one of the vfx mistakes.
Jennyanydots missing her goddamn feet, that’s a mistake.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

Cats was #1 in Japan this whole weekend so maybe it finally found it’s audience...

the musical is beyond loving huge in Japan (there's a theater in Tokyo dedicated specifically to Cats that has been running for like two decades plus at this point) and they're pretty desensitized to terrible CGI

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ccs posted:

Guys, they all have perfect human hands. It’s fur to the wrists, then hands. That’s the style. It’s not one of the vfx mistakes.
Jennyanydots missing her goddamn feet, that’s a mistake.

No, I'm pretty sure deciding "yeah let's give 'em fur up to their wrists and then HUMAN HANDS ON THE CATS" was a vfx mistake :v:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Ccs posted:

Not even Kojima could find it in his heart to take Cats seriously.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1221019401962409985?s=20

For those who don't know, Cat People is an erotic horror film with a theme song by David Bowie (huh, no wonder why Kojima likes it).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Next up: "Saw Paul Shrader's Cat People. Will rewatch Jacques Tourneur's Cat People."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tag yourselves.

I'm Old Deut's toes

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm the extra ring they forgot to edit out on the non-wedding ring hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU