Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Fun/Difficulty rankings of starting positions I've done campaigns on. Note, I always declare war on the OG's settlement owner on turn 1.

Morathai - Marienberg. 5/5 fun 4/5 difficulty
Balthasar Gelt - Karak Kadran. 5/5 fun. 6/5 difficulty
Ikit Claw - Altdorf. 2/5 fun, 2/5 difficulty
Clyostria (Vampirates) - The Black Keep. 3/5 fun, 1/5 difficulty

The mods:
Change Starting Settlement: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1929748031
No Climate Penalties (compatible, optional) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158938051

If anyone can get some mod to work with wood elves/norsca so they can actually settle somewhere else, that would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Ikit Claw - Altdorf. 2/5 fun, 2/5 difficulty

Does not compute.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

Malekith and Lokhir are the only two without some horrible gimic. Malekith is a caster of the blender lore who eventually rides a dragon while Lokhir is a melee dude but at least he too gets a dragon. Malekith is if you want to fight other elves while Lokhir is in the Lustria thunderdome so tons of different foes to fight.

What is so horrible about morathi and hellebron?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

yikes! posted:

What is so horrible about morathi and hellebron?

Morathi requires Chaos corruption for some ungodly reason so it just makes her terribly slow to expand because you have this massive malus to public order. Hellebron has to do the death night thing so you're constantly sacrificing slaves just to stay ahead. Malus has his demon problem that you constantly have to suck up to Malekith to fix.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I found Morathi's chaos mechanic to be pretty easy to handle and Slaves/Black Arks are flat upgrades vs any generic faction function of economy/global recruitment. I was getting 70-90k+ sacks on faction capitals. Combine that with Darkshards and easy confeds and the best Dark Elf LL is any of them.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah never had any issues with Morathis chaos corruption and I have played at least three campaigns as her! Late game it goes away when you have Quintex at tier 5. In return, you get a hard challenging start against a bunch of different factions to fight and ways to expand, just expect that a hellwar against Ulthuan is the norm! Last campaign I just kept an army on standby and murdered them as they came for cash and slaves.

Morathi herself is probably the LL I find the most fun, she is fast on her mount and can murder most things in the air and ground 1v1. You can stack a bunch of great resistances and passive AoE debuffs on her, and can machine gun out soul stealers and pits of shades with all the discounts and increased recharge skills/spells. You can even solo entire armies since she is so fast and a small target that you an just fly circles over an AI army and dump AoE spells while they try and hit her with arrows :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Eimi posted:

Morathi requires Chaos corruption for some ungodly reason so it just makes her terribly slow to expand because you have this massive malus to public order. Hellebron has to do the death night thing so you're constantly sacrificing slaves just to stay ahead. Malus has his demon problem that you constantly have to suck up to Malekith to fix.

Morathi's capital has a building that explicitly reduces factionwide penalties for corruption or lack thereof by quite a bit at city level 3 and pretty much negates it at level 5. You can have the level 3 building by the time you really start expanding like whoa.

If you conquer or confederate her as the other dark elf lords, it works in reverse for you too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
saltspire's campaign has come to a crashing halt now that I realize I would need to sail up to norsca and raze every single province of that absolute hellhole to get the victory on it

never make the two norscans an objective. not even hypothetical kislev deserves that...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gamerofthegame posted:

saltspire's campaign has come to a crashing halt now that I realize I would need to sail up to norsca and raze every single province of that absolute hellhole to get the victory on it

never make the two norscans an objective. not even hypothetical kislev deserves that...

Saltspyre has gone from hating ratmen to hating Norscans? I wouldn't put him in charge of anything?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Okay, Cylostra is amazing. Her voice actress is having the time of her life and it's great, and I kinda love the ghost paladin summons, but I realize I have no clue how to use gunlines.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gorelab posted:

Okay, Cylostra is amazing. Her voice actress is having the time of her life and it's great, and I kinda love the ghost paladin summons, but I realize I have no clue how to use gunlines.

chevronformation.jpg

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chiming in a little late, but the lord stats on mounts are completely misleading. Like, when you mouse over the upgrades it looks like they lose a ton of melee attack, weapon damage, etc. The reason for that is that they get different animations on the mounts that often hit way more things, or change the attack speed, or do any number of other things. The other thing to consider is how much of the battle the lord can spend in combat. On foot they spend more time getting places which means less time stabbing.

The best way to test mounts is to buy them and see how many kills your lord gets in a typical battle. With Settra for instance, he's ok on foot(~100-150 kills on Ultra), solid on the Warsphinx(~150-200 kills), and a complete monster (~200-300+) on the chariot. Even though the chariot's stats look the crappiest of the three.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pew pew

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does not compute.

It somehow plays exactly like Empire pre-elector counts, which everyone's already done. You even end up super allied with dwarves almost by default. It's weird.

Nuking Franz on turn 1 is very fun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lucky's Overhaul has the best changes for Khazrak the One-Eye. Once he gets his chariot he becomes an AOE death bringer who deals constant damage and puts whole units to flee.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lucky's Overhaul has the best changes for Khazrak the One-Eye. Once he gets his chariot he becomes an AOE death bringer who deals constant damage and puts whole units to flee.

I haven't tried Beastmen yet with the Overhaul, I'll have to do them next. I'm waiting for Lucky to finish updating Brettonian skill trees so I can try out Repanse.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Explosive corpses do a shitton of damage early on, holy cow. They're basically winning battles for me against the Skeggi.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gorelab posted:

a cheap and not super effective way to do it if you want to be low effort is to just try and alternate sword/gunnery mob and put it in a line

they'll flee when the enemy gets near because they're in skirmish mode, but still will mostly beable to shoot. this is especially good once you get vet mortars, because they'll have the enemies wavering by the time they come into gun range so most of the army won't even get to you to be a bother. still, you'll start losing big time against a strong opponent with this set up, but it's great against stuff like Bret peasants, p much any undead, etc.

just, uhhh, watch out for the rogue bote armies

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I actually found Hellebron to be the most fun dark elf campaign, at least when I played her on an easier difficulty setting. I think she's the only DE lord I actually finished the ME campaign with. The death night mechanic is initially a bit difficult to deal with, but if you expand east and keep one of the Norsca tribes around as a punching bag you can end up with more slaves than you'll ever need by repeatedly sacking their cities. Plus, the death night army can be kind of fun. I had one wipe out 3 invading chaos armies on its own. You also get a % of the loot for whatever it kills once it dies, and I've gotten 8k+ gold before. I've never seen it not make a beeline down to Ulthuan to gently caress up some elves which is kind of great.

Hellebron also gets a side goal of taking Alarielle's home city and Morathi's home city. For each one you take you complete a quest that eliminates one 'bad' block from the death night track. After taking both there is no negative so you don't have to deal with it anymore (although you can still do it to get the death army and all the good bonuses). I found the goal to be a fun thing to shoot for, much like the Belegar/Skarsnik and Karak Eight Peaks.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I haven't tried Beastmen yet with the Overhaul, I'll have to do them next. I'm waiting for Lucky to finish updating Brettonian skill trees so I can try out Repanse.

I did the Beastmen in Grimhammer overhaul, and that’s the last time I use the mod. Literally every choice has some malus attached to it, and even at the very end of the game (won the fall of man at turn 99), sacking a tier 4 settlement for like 23k and the Beastmen techs are all -% research when you take them and then 15k to buy the next level that adds the % research back. It’s bad, even if I like the battles better and the added units are awesome. I remember playing a grimhammer greenskins campaign where you had to sack 10 settlements to gain a level of “Greentide” where the starting penalties were cripplingly harsh, and if you get a rebellion or lose a settlement, you lose that level. So basically you stay at level 1 all game with these crushing penalties that make the game suck. I hate that kind of design!

Maybe I’ll do lucky’s for the vampire counts, because the current state of the game unmodded makes the faction non viable (imho). Anyone done this and can tell me how lucky changes the vampire counts?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the Greentide implementation is loving lame in Grimhammer. I definitely like their combat etc but alot of the campaign poo poo kinda sucks.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So with the vampire coasters, how much should I be actually taking cities versus just sacking or putting a cove in them and moving on?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gorelab posted:

So with the vampire coasters, how much should I be actually taking cities versus just sacking or putting a cove in them and moving on?

0/100

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gorelab posted:

the ship builders (ie, your legendary lords and the four or five in the tech tree) don't need provinces at all, though your usual lords would be stuck with global recruitment off your horde-boats otherwise.

there is basically no income buildings for the pirates to speak of and they need corruption, so... basically 0. In ME at least there is a province requirement to win, for some reason, but that can just be done whenever. Getting recruitment buildings out of provinces is a lot faster then the horde buildings, though.

Your vampire captain heroes can also throw down a cove every 15 turns, so go cove up Altdorf, Marienburg, Lothern and that High Elf gold city on the west side for loads of dosh. Just, uh, don't build the corruption cove thing, turns out the vampire rebels will usually just raze the place. Which isn't helpful!

do get the +1 lord rank cove stuff, cuz once you get enough you can fill out your entire officer tree for faction-wide benefits for the low low price of recruiting a lord, slotting them, disbanding them.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

the ship builders (ie, your legendary lords and the four or five in the tech tree) don't need provinces at all, though your usual lords would be stuck with global recruitment off your horde-boats otherwise.

there is basically no income buildings for the pirates to speak of and they need corruption, so... basically 0. In ME at least there is a province requirement to win, for some reason, but that can just be done whenever. Getting recruitment buildings out of provinces is a lot faster then the horde buildings, though.

Your vampire captain heroes can also throw down a cove every 15 turns, so go cove up Altdorf, Marienburg, Lothern and that High Elf gold city on the west side for loads of dosh. Just, uh, don't build the corruption cove thing, turns out the vampire rebels will usually just raze the place. Which isn't helpful!

do get the +1 lord rank cove stuff, cuz once you get enough you can fill out your entire officer tree for faction-wide benefits for the low low price of recruiting a lord, slotting them, disbanding them.

So basically just act as a horde, except maybe if I really want some faster recruitment/focus on the research lords for more actual recruitment.' That's actually pretty neat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gorelab posted:

It's really up to you, there's no wrong way to go about it. But there's not much unique to land settlements you can get that you can't get from a pirate ship itself.

Still, you have the option to improve build time income, and construction costs if you want. Occupying settlements can be useful for spreading vampiric corruption all over the place. There's also a rite that gives a nice boost of money for every major settlement 'booty' building that is also worth consideration.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Panfilo posted:

It's really up to you, there's no wrong way to go about it.

This is true generally, but if you are playing Cylostra, your real goal is to capture Lothern and build an her opera house. Curtains open at 3:00, attendance mandatory for every elf. You're welcome, philistines.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Just have her finished quest sink the whole drat continent of Ulthuan into the sea.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something I keep being annoyed with but never remember after quitting the game: Let´s say you have a couple of sword dudes to flank and several spears to hold the line. The unit cards are grouped by class, and by default picking all the infantry and deploying in a line will have the swords on one side. Moving the cards so the swords "flank" the spears in the unit list row doesn't change their behaviour in the battlefield.

Is there any way to place units in an nice row in the order of the card list? Just place them one by one and group them?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Just have her finished quest sink the whole drat continent of Ulthuan into the sea.

Being able to assist AI Cylostra in this task when playing as other factions also seems ideal.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Something I keep being annoyed with but never remember after quitting the game: Let´s say you have a couple of sword dudes to flank and several spears to hold the line. The unit cards are grouped by class, and by default picking all the infantry and deploying in a line will have the swords on one side. Moving the cards so the swords "flank" the spears in the unit list row doesn't change their behaviour in the battlefield.

Is there any way to place units in an nice row in the order of the card list? Just place them one by one and group them?

Yeah if you put the dudes in order in the unit card, then select them by unit card (ie don't box select) then when you draw the line they'll be in that order.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
uh... I probably was just box selecting them after rearranging the card list. Thanks.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Note that it's buggy as hell. I often experience having the right-most unit in the card list getting put on the left side of the formation. It's like the game takes a couple minutes to register the cards have changed position.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DeathSandwich posted:

Basically this. A card of skeletons doesn't hold up against a card of dwarf warriors, but they'll be hard pressed to fight off 4 cards of skeletons for every one of theirs, especially when you add in the odd ancilliary of Vargheists or shock cav or terrorgeist and Winds of Death. Grave Guard trade pretty favorably on 1 to 1 matchups of anything minus ironbreakers and hammerers and greatsword grave guard should crush most things if you can keep them safe from ranged fire. AI dwarves are bad about protecting their artillery units and you can usually pick them off once the front lines clash. Dwarves are hard pressed to do a lot of damage quickly, especially if their rifles don't have line of sight, which is to the benefit of Vampire lords and heroes. who can stay in a scrum and keep topped off with The Hunger and the odd healing spell.

So what I'm hearing is, have your LL army and a normal Lord army supporting it with one Lord, one Necromancer, one Wight King, one Banshee, and 16 Skeleton Warriors?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So what I'm hearing is, have your LL army and a normal Lord army supporting it with one Lord, one Necromancer, one Wight King, one Banshee, and 16 Skeleton Warriors?

Those heroes are probably better off farming Kisses tbh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Those heroes are probably better off farming Kisses tbh.
Necromancers do a fine enough job farming kisses while also being able to Steal Tech when there are no Wound targets around. I routinely got Necromancers up to 85-90 percent chance to Wound without using a Queen Bee Lahmia lord to help. I usually just used these Necromancers as my eyes on nearby enemies and stole tech and wounded as targets and funds allowed.

A friend encouraged me to use Wight Kings to Assault Troops and Assault Garrisons and they do an amazing job of it. When dealing with Dwarfs it may be better to have them doing that rather than in an army, if you have the money to do those actions every turn.

I like Banshees in armies because they are Ethereal, fast, and tough while also granting faster movement to the army. If you spec them for it they are the best at farming kisses, though, and get Critical Successes to actually kill the Heroes that they target.

Vampire heroes only go in armies, they're just too useful there.

All that being said, get a Lahmia Bloodline Lord. Get her the Queen Bee skill. Move her and your map heroes into a region you want to take in a few turns. Watch as your heroes Wound, Assault, or whatever for free* at 100% success rate** then just take the city when you're ready. Its a great way to spread a little vampiric corruption before you take a city, get your heroes levels, and make battles (especially city battles) easier.

* Hero Actions when starting and performing their Hero Action in the same Province (not Region) are free if you have the -33% cost tech, three points in the skill that reduces cost by 40% at 3 pips, and the Queen Bee skill (-50% cost).

** If the Hero just succeeded at a Wound you should still have a good chance to perform an action the next turn while the hero has the "Exhausted" debuff. Yes, Exhausted stacks and lasts longer if you succeed multiple turns in a row.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 29, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can never remember whether provinces or regions are larger. I'm also waiting for the Greenskins update to redo a VC campaign but it seems like it could be decent.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
A province is all the associated regions as a whole (reikland, silver road, etc)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Note that rearranging unit cards within a group, after they’re control grouped to a number will have no effect. I recommend grouping after you’re fully set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOtXUjqn6Js

Repanse has some really cool armour for a setting with ridiculous outfits

Also I've been playing more VCoast and lore of the Deeps has got the best looking directional spell. Wind of Death and Flaming Skull look cool but they don't hold up to a magic galleon rising from the earth to deliver a broadside.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 29, 2020